• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannis

Special fried rice has become my to go PWO meal. Can't get enough of that there taste.

Also started to drop my calories for this cut... feeling pretty ravenous after today's deadlifts and hill sprints.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I probably should have written that I am practicing them/trying to increase my hamstring flexibility. I'm not going to try proper squats in the gym because it's simply impossible for me right now and I don't want to injure myself. I'm doing "squats" at home with the support of a table and stretching my hamstrings every other day or so. Not very intense but enough to soften the area and hopefully increase flexibility.

edit:
gonna try that wall squat technique for sure.

Definitely do body weight squats and use the wall as support if necessary until you have the flexibility. It might also be a good idea to try using the leg press if you're going to be in a gym anyway. Here's a video of Mark Rippetoe explaining how it can be used to ease people into doing barbell squats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akSESUYxWsk&noredirect=1

Chocobro

God damn gain thieves. On Wednesday I shared the power rack with a guy I see often in the gym, we were both doing squats. As I was grinding the last rep, he jumps in to spot me and I felt his arm touch me as I was going up. I couldn't count that rep even though I had it.

Then today I was sharing the power rack with a group of two guys, they started coming to the gym two weeks ago. I was grinding out the last OHP rep, the bar was over my forehead and I was getting close to lockout and one of the two jumps in and helps me get to lockout by pushing the bar up. What the fuck.

Skinpop

No power rack or anything? How are you going to be doing squats and such?

I didn't even think that far.. guess I'll have to manage with dumbbell squats as well then. this really sucks, but I'll have to make do with what's available. There is a smith machine, but using that defeats half the purpose of the exercise. Not exactly the best start to find out that the gym is inadequately equipped. But there is no other viable gym around so what can I do about it(except using dumbbells).

God damn gain thieves. On Wednesday I shared the power rack with a guy I see often in the gym, we were both doing squats. As I was grinding the last rep, he jumps in to spot me and I felt his arm touch me as I was going up. I couldn't count that rep even though I had it.

Then today I was sharing the power rack with a group of two guys, they started coming to the gym two weeks ago. I was grinding out the last OHP rep, the bar was over my forehead and I was getting close to lockout and one of the two jumps in and helps me get to lockout by pushing the bar up. What the fuck.

Seriously, who just randomly "helps" people like that?

Petrie

Banned
I didn't even think that far.. guess I'll have to manage with dumbbell squats as well then. this really sucks, but I'll have to make do with what's available. There is a smith machine, but using that defeats half the purpose of the exercise. Not exactly the best start to find out that the gym is inadequately equipped. But there is no other viable gym around so what can I do about it(except using dumbbells).

I'd be looking for a better gym. It sounds like you're at a Planet Fitness. You get what you pay for and you're going to be held back quite a bit by the lack of equipment.

Skinpop

I'd be looking for a better gym. It sounds like you're at a Planet Fitness. You get what you pay for and you're going to be held back quite a bit by the lack of equipment.

Don't know about planet fitness(I live in sweden). I looked around for gyms before I got my membership, but there is only one (a big franchise gym) and it costs more than three times as much which I can't afford as a student.

This is depressing :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know about planet fitness(I live in sweden). I looked around for gyms before I got my membership, but there is only one (a big franchise gym) and it costs more than three times as much which I can't afford as a student.

This is depressing :(

How much are we talking?

Without the proper equipment, it becomes really hard to train effectively. Doing dumbbell stuff is better than nothing, but it's not remotely ideal. If you're really interested in making this happen, I think you should find a way to make that more expensive gym membership work. Or save up and get your own power rack setup at home (assuming that's even an option).

entremet

I ripped two of my dress shirts at the elbow. Dem gains.

My arms are still a weak point, though. But last year's bulk added some nice mass. I'm recomping right now and it's just not as fun.

Skinpop

How much are we talking?

Without the proper equipment, it becomes really hard to train effectively. Doing dumbbell stuff is better than nothing, but it's not remotely ideal. If you're really interested in making this happen, I think you should find a way to make that more expensive gym membership work. Or save up and get your own power rack setup at home (assuming that's even an option).

$90 a month. Having a power rack setup at home is not an option. I'm already breaking budget and with how ridiculously expensive food is in Sweden even just eating a lot more for the training is a huge hit on my economy. I'm already living an extremely frugal life as is.

Hopefully when school slows down I might be able to do some work on the side and afford a better gym.

Petrie

Banned
$90 a month. Having a power rack setup at home is not an option. I'm already breaking budget and with how ridiculously expensive food is in Sweden even just eating a lot more for the training is a huge hit on my economy. I'm already living an extremely frugal life as is.

Hopefully when school slows down I might be able to do some work on the side and afford a better gym.

I'm shocked your school doesn't have a gym.

Szu

xpdBDrN.gif

UbL1brH.gif

3iNY1pd.gif

JhuSnPz.gif

rokkerkory

You like being touched :D

Skinpop

I'm shocked your school doesn't have a gym.

they have and they cost just about $80 a month. I say they because I'm studying at an institution run by two universities together, this means all my scheduled hours are at university B but I actually belong to university A. I don't even attend school that often(it's not needed). The expensive gym that's close to me makes up the difference by being a lot closer to my home.

Right now I don't have a choice but do my work out at this place and when my economy is stronger get a membership at the more expensive club, although that might be a while.

Alrightty then, done with GOMAD (for now). Started on 1/6, ending "officially" tomorrow, 2/15. All lifts are 3x5.

Starting stats:
186 lbs
Squat: 245
Bench: 185
Press: 95

Ending stats:
204 lbs
Squat: 335
Bench: 220
Press: 140

Disclaimer: I'm not a novice proper. Last year I had a squat PR of 425x1 and bench PR of 300x1, but then injuries followed by injuries and other issues left me out of training for 3 months. A good bit of this was muscle memory, I'm positive.

Still, GOMAD and squats are magical. Sticking to SS, I'd like to get up to 395 for 3x5 but that will likely require a reset or two. However, I also had good results with adding a "light" day into the week instead of resetting once I got to 360-365 lbs squat. Light day is sub 300 lbs high bar squats.

SeanR1221

Alrightty then, done with GOMAD (for now). Started on 1/6, ending "officially" tomorrow, 2/15. All lifts are 3x5.

Starting stats:
186 lbs

Ending stats:
204 lbs

Disclaimer: I'm not a novice proper. Last year I had a squat PR of 425x1 and bench PR of 300x1, but then injuries followed by injuries and other issues left me out of training for 3 months. A good bit of this was muscle memory, I'm positive.

Still, GOMAD and squats are magical. Sticking to SS, I'd like to get up to 395 for 3x5 but that will likely require a reset or two. However, I also had good results with adding a "light" day into the week instead of resetting once I got to 360-365 lbs squat. Light day is sub 300 lbs high bar squats.

Nice! Glad you're slowly getting back in action. You're a strong dude.

Starting stats:
186 lbs

Ending stats:
204 lbs

That's really good increases in strength. I don't know what your height is, but that's a pretty significant weight gain in 5 weeks. Do you feel like there was pretty significant fat gains?

theytookourjobz

Weightlifting meet tomorrow! Weighed 185 today and just need to keep it under 187 for 10am weigh in tomorrow. Haven't really trained too consistently since last year where I went 80kg in the snatch and 100kg in the clean and jerk in the 94kg class. Hoping for a 200kg total (90/110) at 85kg this time! Wish me luck!

Cudder

When I was close gripping last week some guy randomly stuck his head over mine and said "need a spot!?"

What the fuck. I almost dropped the bar.

what i really can't stand is when I'm on a bench in the middle of a set and someone either grabs a plate or puts a plate back on the pegs on my bench. i seriously feel like stopping my set and throwing a 45 at them. fucking twats.

what i really can't stand is when I'm on a bench in the middle of a set and someone either grabs a plate or puts a plate back on the pegs on my bench. i seriously feel like stopping my set and throwing a 45 at them. fucking twats.

Now this is the worst. Be it squats or bench, coming and taking a plate in the middle of the set. Like, can't you just wait until I'm done? You are fucking up my flow and it is just rude.

Weightlifting meet tomorrow! Weighed 185 today and just need to keep it under 187 for 10am weigh in tomorrow. Haven't really trained too consistently since last year where I went 80kg in the snatch and 100kg in the clean and jerk in the 94kg class. Hoping for a 200kg total (90/110) at 85kg this time! Wish me luck!

GL bro. Let us know how it goes!

SeanR1221

I'll admit I do this to people using the smith machine.

J. Bravo

good luck man. I'm too scared of my relatively puny lifts to sign up for a meet. Maybe if I had some friends interested in power lifting.

with that said, I just pulled 390x8 so I think I would do alright if I dropped 10 pounds or so.

First day trying Greyskull LP! It felt good to try something new, although I had to cut my workout short for Valentine's Day plans. Here's where I started:

OHP: 140x2x5 140x1x7 (does this sound right for a 3rd set?)

Chin-Ups (haven't attempted these in years, so I'm starting slow: 3x5

Squat: 265x2x5 265x1x9

I'm lifting slightly less weight than I was doing with SS, but with obviously more reps. Thoughts?

First day trying Greyskull LP! It felt good to try something new, although I had to cut my workout short for Valentine's Day plans. Here's where I started:

OHP: 140x2x5 140x1x7 (does this sound right for a 3rd set?)

Chin-Ups (haven't attempted these in years, so I'm starting slow: 3x5

Squat: 265x2x5 265x1x9

I'm lifting slightly less weight than I was doing with SS, but with obviously more reps. Thoughts?

Looks like you're doing it right if those last sets were as many reps as possible.

Nice! Glad you're slowly getting back in action. You're a strong dude.

That's really good increases in strength. I don't know what your height is, but that's a pretty significant weight gain in 5 weeks. Do you feel like there was pretty significant fat gains?

Thanks, guys--feels good to be back. Squatting 245 back then made my legs sore for DAYS and was very difficult. It really worried me at the time, haha.

I'm 5'10", like .25" from 5'11". I don't think I'd call the fat gains "significant"--there is definitely some fat but I've always been pretty lean. If I kept it up for another month, I know I'd pack on some fat.

moocow

Anyone else spending Valentine's Day at the gym? I have a date with the bench press today. m/
Recently single, so yup.

I'm worried I borked my back shoveling. Doing shoulders today and felt like tossing in some light squats. Had to stop after two bodyweight squats... and it actually hurts a little. I thought it was just tight before...

If I injured my back shoveling snow I think i give up

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else spending Valentine's Day at the gym? I have a date with the bench press today. \m/

Me brah. I love weights and my dog. No time for anyone else, and I already took her on a walk! Now I gotta just get the gym done before Titanfall servers are back up...that shit is HOT.

Alright FitGAF, I only had a small deli sandwich for lunch, 8 hours ago and have also had hardly any water today. I decided to hit the gym anyway despite hunger pangs. Had a fucking awesome day, totally, totally smashed my 3s day for deadlift and finished all my accessory work (front squats included) without a hitch. Actually increased weight a bit on my front squat for the last set.

As a reward, I would like you guys to decide my dinner. Tell me where to eat (choose one): Taco Bell, McDonalds, Arby's, or Dairy Queen. Then, from your restaurant of choice, tell me what items to order. I'll stick to any reasonable (read: not insanely expensive) meal and order then eat all of it (with before/after pics).

You've got 20 minutes to decide. Don't fail me now, bulk/ex-bulk GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom