• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

I was traveling for work earlier this week, I ended up taking this whole week off. That's 2 weeks off in 3 weeks lol. Can't wait for next week so I can get that 3 plate squat.

Did v-day in the afternoon and early evening Going to the gym now. Then I need to sit down and get my diet in order. Forgetting to eat is too damn easy for me sometimes.

Mully

Well, after nearly four months since my ACL tear, I'm officially cleared to begin heavy lifting again. I was a year into a 5/3/1 program, but I'm pretty sure I've lost a good amount of the progress I've made since November.

Should I restart 5/3/1, go back to SS for a few months, or do something else?

rokkerkory

Well, after nearly four months since my ACL tear, I'm officially cleared to begin heavy lifting again. I was a year into a 5/3/1 program, but I'm pretty sure I've lost a good amount of the progress I've made since November.

Should I restart 5/3/1, go back to SS for a few months, or do something else?

hmmm just take it easy in beginning and see where you are in 2-3 weeks? SS for a few weeks might be good to get your body back into form because 4 months is a tad long.

Mully

hmmm just take it easy in beginning and see where you are in 2-3 weeks? SS for a few weeks might be good to get your body back into form because 4 months is a tad long.

Thanks.

I did a bit of bodyweight post surgery about a month ago, but it became monotonous and I didn't really know what to do. I stopped after a few weeks. It's not the same as going to the gym. Since the tear, I've lost a ton of mass. I went from 195 somewhat muscular and growing down to 189 little muscle.

Start with SS, stick with it for 3-5 months, then work with 5/3/1 from there? My numbers were pretty low considering.

Here were my numbers as of November 6, 2013:

OHP: 155X5
DL: 330X3
Bench: 230X2
Squat: 305X2

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Looking for a better protein shake, using CNP pro lean whey atm and it is rank, thick, hard to mix and the flavour is really weak.

It's like drinking horse semen

I'm in the UK at the minute. any advice guys?

Sappy113

Looking for a better protein shake, using CNP pro lean whey atm and it is rank, thick, hard to mix and the flavour is really weak.

theproteinworks,com. Easy to mix, some truely awesome flavours available as well. I'm extremely partial to the Cherry Bakewell and the White Choc/Strawberry,

Go_Ly_Dow

Drink the standard whey from myprotein.com

Choc caramel mixes so smoothly.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

LOL

But.... how do you know..?

I'd imagine it would have a ridiculously high protein count and is some kind of oral test booster.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Bro, don't question how we get our gains gainz!

I better get on that Gainz Train too, seems to be working.

ALL ABOARD

alistairovereem_2190017e.jpg

Husker86

Damn shoulder...I did a very light workout on Wednesday and since then it has hurt to lift my left arm up or behind me. I assume it was from DB flys, but I don't know why; maybe I had my arms too far back or something.

Fuckin sucks...

Visceir

Damn shoulder...I did a very light workout on Wednesday and since then it has hurt to lift my left arm up or behind me. I assume it was from DB flys, but I don't know why; maybe I had my arms too far back or something.

Fuckin sucks...

Ice pack, NSAIDs, rest and rehab exercises.

rokkerkory

Thanks.

I did a bit of bodyweight post surgery about a month ago, but it became monotonous and I didn't really know what to do. I stopped after a few weeks. It's not the same as going to the gym. Since the tear, I've lost a ton of mass. I went from 195 somewhat muscular and growing down to 189 little muscle.

Start with SS, stick with it for 3-5 months, then work with 5/3/1 from there? My numbers were pretty low considering.

Here were my numbers as of November 6, 2013:

OHP: 155X5
DL: 330X3
Bench: 230X2
Squat: 305X2

Looks like u were pretty strong man... Ull be back in no time! Just keep at it.

ACE 1991

Man, I'm enjoying the shit out of Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine (here is a link for anyone interested: http://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf). I am still very much somewhere between beginner and intermediate but after being burnt out on linear progression I am fine doing a routine that is perhaps less than optimal if I'm going to enjoy it, not to mention my lift #s are going up anyways. My squat is at 210 for 3x8, bench 155 3x8 and DL 265 3x5. I really want to hit a 2 plate bench and 3 plate DL before the end of the year.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Feeling weak today. Not sure 280+ OHP is happening. Been sick and not in th gym as much as I want. Plus I pulled a hammy earlier in the week.

rokkerkory

Feeling weak today. Not sure 280+ OHP is happening. Been sick and not in th gym as much as I want. Plus I pulled a hammy earlier in the week.

ull get back into it! =/

i also was weak on shoulders today... it's weird since I have been doing OHP instead of seated DB press, my OHP has gone up a tad and my seated DB press has gone down a tad. ugh

My back is obliterated after lifting yesterday.The mid-back feeling is definitely DOMS but this weird feeling in the upper -right part of my traps is different and sharper. I wonder if something's actually wrong.... I didn't feel anything there til I woke up this morning, at any rate.

Hopefully both this pain and the snow clear up by tomorrow.

Are peanuts good or bad for you? Do they make you fat?

The only thing that really makes you fat is eating more calories than you burn. So eating peanuts makes you no more or less fat than eating ham, eggs or bacon.

Peanuts do have dietary fat in them, but dietary fat doesn't really have anything to do with fat gain.

The one thing about nuts is the serving sizes are small and it can be easy to eat too many of them. But that's on you.

Unsalted and unroasted monkeynuts are cool.

Even roasted aren't too bad.

Its the salted ones that are unhealthy and high in fats due to being cooked in oil.

Being high and fat and oil doesn't mean they are unhealthy.

I keep lightly salted peanuts in my office as my backup snack if I forgot to bring a snack with me for the day. I fucking love honey roasted though, but even straight plain peanuts are cock suckingly good.

xandaca

Can anyone recommend good exercise habits for someone (me, obviously) who's just started going to the gym for the first time and is looking to build a bit of muscle and flatten my stomach out? I asked for a routine at the induction and they were pretty vague beyond telling me what machine does what. As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff.

At the moment, I go gymwards 2-3 times per week (although this is only my second week) and I tend to do about 15 minutes on the cross-trainer at 16 resistance, 5000m on the rowing machine (max resistance), then have a quick snack to keep my energy up before moving onto weights, where I do alternating bicep curls for as long as I can in reps of 25-30 (10kg in right hand, 8kg in my weirdly weaker left) before finishing off with machines to work chest and shoulders, depending on the time and what's available. Generally takes me around 1h - 90m in total. I know I should do core strengthening exercises (again, recommendations welcome) as well, I've just been lazy so far in that respect.

Anyway, key aims for me are putting on a bit of extra body mass and increasing strength and stamina. I'm eating better (no more junk food) and starting to get used to pushing myself, but any advice on routines/nutrition, or anything really, would be appreciated. Cheers.

iddqd

Can anyone recommend good exercise habits for someone (me, obviously) who's just started going to the gym for the first time and is looking to build a bit of muscle and flatten my stomach out? I asked for a routine at the induction and they were pretty vague beyond telling me what machine does what. As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff.

At the moment, I go gymwards 2-3 times per week (although this is only my second week) and I tend to do about 15 minutes on the cross-trainer at 16 resistance, 5000m on the rowing machine (max resistance), then have a quick snack to keep my energy up before moving onto weights, where I do alternating bicep curls for as long as I can in reps of 25-30 (10kg in right hand, 8kg in my weirdly weaker left) before finishing off with machines to work chest and shoulders, depending on the time and what's available. Generally takes me around 1h - 90m in total. I know I should do core strengthening exercises (again, recommendations welcome) as well, I've just been lazy so far in that respect.

Anyway, key aims for me are putting on a bit of extra body mass and increasing strength and stamina. I'm eating better (no more junk food) and starting to get used to pushing myself, but any advice on routines/nutrition, or anything really, would be appreciated. Cheers.

Just some general thoughts:
- If you want to gain some body mass, eat more clean stuff
- Cut back on the cardio except the one that warms you up (5 to 10min of light stuff)
- Less reps, more in the range of 4 to 8 with higher weight.
- Try to go with the broadest muscles you can. If you only have machines, go with exercises that target big areas. Chin Ups instead of Curls, Squats instead of Leg Curls etc.
Smaller exercises are better used if you feel that you really suck in that area
OR if you want to do a more body building thing were definition is the key.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Look at the first page, there's a program called starting strength. Start there.

Honestly, that's backwards. You should lift weights first do cardio second. Machines aren't as good as learning the actual lifts in starting strengths and I wouldn't worry about bicep curls at first or unless you want to just add them on at the end. There are more important lifts to focus on when you're first starting.

Again, good for you for doing something. I really recommend you do starting strength and add in some cardio if you want. After that just focus on your diet and see what happens in about 6 months.

J. Bravo

More bad spotting stories. Going for 225 on bench today. Needed 3+. I told the guy I would let him know if i needed help. On the third rep he helps. I didn't ask for it. Oh well. 2.5 reps. Was the wrong weight for this week anyways lmao.

More bad spotting stories. Going for 225 on bench today. Needed 3+. I told the guy I would let him know if i needed help. On the third rep he helps. I didn't ask for it. Oh well. 2.5 reps. Was the wrong weight for this week anyways lmao.

This *always* happens to me when I ask for a spot. Always!

xandaca

Just some general thoughts:
- If you want to gain some body mass, eat more clean stuff
- Cut back on the cardio except the one that warms you up (5 to 10min of light stuff)
- Less reps, more in the range of 4 to 8 with higher weight.
- Try to go with the broadest muscles you can. If you only have machines, go with exercises that target big areas. Chin Ups instead of Curls, Squats instead of Leg Curls etc.
Smaller exercises are better used if you feel that you really suck in that area
OR if you want to do a more body building thing were definition is the key.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

(And AJanitor's too)

I also strongly encourage reading this, tons of useful tips

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

Teggy

I had to wait in line behind two guys to use the power cage today.

First guy is using the end of the crash bar (the part that pokes out in front of the cage) to rest the barbell on and then does curls outside the cage.

Second guy does the exact same thing, except he does deadlifts entirely outside the cage. So he does his set of deadlifts, then takes a break, then lifts the bar back up so he can change the weight.

I need to see if there's a better gym near me.

NICE!

First guy is using the end of the crash bar (the part that pokes out in front of the cage) to rest the barbell on and then does curls outside the cage.

Second guy does the exact same thing, except he does deadlifts entirely outside the cage. So he does his set of deadlifts, then takes a break, then lifts the bar back up so he can change the weight.

Gross. That sounds awful.

Visceir

I see many people doing shrugs in the power cage and if I need to do squats then I'll just go ask to work in. You can rack up the barbells on either side of the power cage so I see no reason why working in isnt a feasible option, just ask. (especially when they aren't even actually using the safety bars and are doing curls or deadlifts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom