• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I can see why you would say that because he did say at 1:10, "any time you can use dumbbells....", but he's just using it as reason to do DB rows instead of BB rows, not necessarily in general that BBs are superior to DBs. But you know, it's just his opinion that DB rows > BB rows.

I like and do both. Never felt one was superior to the other but I do BB rows more often so maybe my subconscious thinks BB is better? Ha

entremet

I like and do both. Never felt one was superior to the other but I do BB rows more often so maybe my subconscious thinks BB is better? Ha

Dan Green, an elite level powerlifter, loves DB presses as a BP assistance lift.

It's done well for him. He has a 513 bench.

How do you guys eat cottage cheese? I figured I'd try some... took a small bite and I immediately decided it needed to be eaten with something. I'm thinking of defrosting some frozen fruit and adding it to a serving; maybe with some nuts. A touch of honey also sounds decent.

Any recommendations?

How do you guys eat cottage cheese? I figured I'd try some... took a small bite and I immediately decided it needed to be eaten with something. I'm thinking of defrosting some frozen fruit and adding it to a serving; maybe with some nuts. A touch of honey also sounds decent.

Any recommendations?

Get Greek Yogurt instead. I like it a lot more.

Imm0rt4l

Any recommendations?

Cooter put me onto cottage cheese with your eggs and salsa.

I also occassionally put it in my protein shakes as it really doesn't add any taste, just the curds.

Cooter

Cooter put me onto cottage cheese with your eggs and salsa.

I also occassionally put it in my protein shakes as it really doesn't add any taste, just the curds.
I'll eat it with anything really. Lately it's been peanuts and raisins. Sometimes peanut butter too.

Cooter

Down at the poker tables after a long hiatus. Seeing a bunch of people I haven't seen in years and every single one won't shut up about how I'm on steroids. Whatevs

50/50 cottage cheese and peanut butter is an amazing snack. Someone in version 1 or 2 of this thread mentioned it (years ago) and I've been eating it eever since. NOM NOM.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Down at the poker tables after a long hiatus. Seeing a bunch of people I haven't seen in years and every single one won't shut up about how I'm on steroids. Whatevs

Comes with the territory man.

I just shrug my shoulders when I get PED comments from people... then my traps block out the sun and they have a look of fear in their eyes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dan Green, an elite level powerlifter, loves DB presses as a BP assistance lift.

It's done well for him. He has a 513 bench.

This means nothing. His 513 bench is a result of more than just DB press. Also different assistance for different people. When it comes to assistance/supplement work it's a very pointed thing you need to decide. The main thing is to push weak points.

To say DB is better than BB is entirely false when it comes to assistance. Both have their place and purpose.

The people at the gym wouldn't help with showing me proper squat technique so I was mostly going on memory from some videos I watched, think I was getting most of it generally right except I often ended up on tiptoe when I went all the way down to stop myself falling over. I was doing 12.5kg on either side, which wasn't too bad but I'll try adding a bit more next time. Did five sets of 10 and felt some strain in my thighs, but nothing particularly strong. Did some deadlifts with the same weight (5x5) and didn't feel much of anything, so will definitely add more next time. Unfortunately there's only one (!) barbell at my gym so I couldn't hog it for too long. Hopefully I'll be able to find a time when there aren't many people there so I can experiment a bit to find out the best starting weight for each exercise.

With all due respect, that sounds like a shitty gym brah. Swimming pool or not. One barbell only? Ridiculous. Doesn't sound like a gym that takes itself seriously.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
After experimenting with various methods of creating this shake it seems by slowly sieving the powder into my shaker whilst tenderly adding water, shaking and then repeating until I've sieved two scoops of the stuff in the shake mixes well and tastes delicious.. An electronic mixer failed and just adding in small doses without sieving failed.. It's a lot of effort but I'm glad I no longer have to drink lumpy horse jizz

Any recommendations?

Ketchup.

Don't judge me.

Instagram's lighting effect drops your BF by like 5%. I'm convinced.

yep! its a lifesaver

Any recommendations?

I personally love it either with pineapple or putting some pepper on it and eating it with a pickle

mt1200

It's so hard to keep eating clean when you still live with your parents and when almost everyone next to you has very shitty unbalanced diet overloaded with sugar and carbs, there is just too much social pressure. Coworkers tell me "Wtf, is that your lunch?", mom yells at me every day "You are an over-obsessed nutcase!" whenever she sees me looking at the nutritional info at almost anything I try or try not to eat.

I'ts already a pretty well known fact that high salt / sodium intake will make you store water, but I didn't know it can also prevent belly fat from burning normally. I guess It's time I should stop abusing soy sauce and salt, since my belly still looks the same as before I started working out, no visible abs due to a 1-inch layer of fat, I guess that's what people call being "Skinny-fat".

I'm currently about 57-57.5Kg and i'm starting to approach plateau, I can feel that I'm not losing as much weight as before, it's probably because of my binge saturdays, last sat I couldn't resist and I ate sugar like crazy (1 oreo mcflurry, 8 chocolate oreo cookies with a glass of milk) besides my cheat meal.

On the other hand, I can now feel the increased cardiovascular resistance I've gained, I wasn't so tired after 30 min of moderate-vigorous paced training on the elliptical machine yesterday, and today I had to do a 1-yard sprint to avoid losing the autobus to my workplace with my heavy laptop at the backpack, didn't end up as tired as before. Gotta increase the level for my interval training this week and keep going even though i'm getting really bored of long-ass steady cardio workouts on the days that I don't do interval training, I prefer insanity workouts at home, but it seems that they don't burn more calories than an hour of steady treadmill + elliptical trainer, besides I don't want to kill my knees with all those jumps and plyometrics, so I only do them whenever I don't have ehough time to do some steady cardio at the gym.

By the way, I strongly recommend latino-gaf to read the book "Salvando vidas".The book has plenty of good points to start losing weight just by eating right it, it also points out most of the common mistakes people make that keeps them from losing weight ("omg, Imma eat this fat-free yogurt as snack, it's so healthy", even when that thing is loaded with mountains of sugar).
That's how I found out that I should limit my salt/sodium intake to see any abs, and that I can avoid cutting out carbs at breakfast and lunch

Nilaul

Any recommendations?

Cottage cheese with honey, wins by default.

Visceir

By the way, I strongly recommend latino-gaf to read the book "Salvando vidas".The book has plenty of good points to start losing weight just by eating right it, it also points out most of the common mistakes people make that keeps them from losing weight ("omg, Imma eat this fat-free yogurt as snack, it's so healthy", even when that thing is loaded with mountains of sugar).
That's how I found out that I should limit my salt/sodium intake to see any abs, and that I can avoid cutting out carbs at breakfast and lunch

Think it's more about just keeping your salt intake at a steady level, if you start cutting out salt then you will start retaining water and if you increase salt intake by a lot then you will retain water, but if you just ingest it at a steady level it shouldn't really matter. In other words -- don't torture yourself by cutting out salt.

I haven't followed your progress, but I have a feeling you're approaching this whole thing the wrong way and dieting like that might gain you some short term success but if you're binge eating then it's obvious you won't be able to succeed with this strategy long-term. Instead of doing all that cardio and reducing calories you should do weight training and build muscle.

entremet

This means nothing. His 513 bench is a result of more than just DB press. Also different assistance for different people. When it comes to assistance/supplement work it's a very pointed thing you need to decide. The main thing is to push weak points.

To say DB is better than BB is entirely false when it comes to assistance. Both have their place and purpose.

Of course it doesn't mean anything. I'm just saying that DB Bench has its purposes and is a decent lift to have in your repertoire. You can train straight BB Bench fine without it. Many Rippetoe disciples hate on the DB Bench. I think that's a bad way of looking at it..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Get out of that weight loss thread guys! People don't want the truth!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's easy to post in a weight loss thread about your diet experiences that last under a month. Rome wasn't built in a day. Or a month. Fuck. I HATE THOSE THREADS

Yeah I'm out. That shog dude is legit nuts.

Shog is absolutely insane. I used to think he was baiting me on purpose but I slowly came to realize he believes the stuff he posts. That guy is in dire need of a ice cream bar laced with a heavy Antipsychotic inside a padded room.

SeanR1221

Shog is absolutely insane. I used to think he was baiting me on purpose but I slowly came to realize he believes the stuff he posts. That guy is in dire need of a ice cream bar laced with a heavy Antipsychotic inside a padded room.

Thanks for making me spit up some of my coffee. Luckily it didn't get on my keyboard.

tried teaching my wife how to do deadlifts yesterday without much luck. She just kept getting frustrated. I'm probably not much of a good teacher though

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just be civil and you won't be banned.

People are too afraid of being banned. You don't get banned for debating but personal attacks. Just keep it civil and you'll be fine.

I've caught bans for less my friend! Different mods, different criteria. It's on us to feel out every thread and figure out who's moderating. Makes it tough sometimes and you get hit with what feels like an unwarranted ban.

I'm never sticking up for Forza 5 again.

entremet

I've caught bans for less my friend! Different mods, different criteria. It's on us to feel out every thread and figure out who's moderating. Makes it tough sometimes and you get hit with what feels like an unwarranted ban.

I'm never sticking up for Forza 5 again.

The gaming side tends to be Sonyland, not the moderation per se, but the mob mentality. Just keeping it real. So I pick and choose those battles there lol.

twofold

Any recommendations?

I really like the dhftns.com 'cottage cheese pbs' recipe.

125g of cottage cheese
1 scoop of whey
1 tablespoon of peanut butter
add sweetener (optional)

Mix and eat.

I like to throw it in to the freezer for 30 minutes or so - it tastes really good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I got the "That's not healthy" diatribe from a friend of mine when I refused cookies and told her I'm eating 0 carbs for the next 3 months. She had major issues with my diet :/

It's friggin infuriating to be lectured on diet from someone who's overweight (but in all the right spots, so I am not giving HER advice)

SeanR1221

I got the "That's not healthy" diatribe from a friend of mine when I refused cookies and told her I'm eating 0 carbs for the next 3 months. She had major issues with my diet :/

It's friggin infuriating to be lectured on diet from someone who's overweight (but in all the right spots, so I am not giving HER advice)

I got told "eating all that broccoli can't be healthy"

The fuuuuuuck?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I got told "eating all that broccoli can't be healthy"

The fuuuuuuck?

Urgh, I had 4 cups last night.... might as well dig my grave now.

QWoK4WC.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's it. They're getting the "Carbs don't do this" picture so they can all talk about how unhealthy it is, and the ol "why would anyone want to look like that" stuff, just to send that thread full circle.

Powercast

Guys how often do you use deload weeks? And do you drop the weight, total volume or both?
I'm getting a bit too much connective tissue/joint pain and I'm thinking of deloading next week.

Guys how often do you use deload weeks? And do you drop the weight, total volume or both?
I'm getting a bit too much connective tissue/joint pain and I'm thinking of deloading next week.

About once every 6 weeks or so, generally weight and volume. But it just depends on when and what's programmed for me.

xandaca

With all due respect, that sounds like a shitty gym brah. Swimming pool or not. One barbell only? Ridiculous. Doesn't sound like a gym that takes itself seriously.

It's a profoundly silly gym by any rational assessment, but since my goals are fairly modest (go from 'lanky tw@t who can't run for more than ten seconds' to 'athletic-ish tw@t who can run for at least ten minutes'), it doesn't bother me too much.

Definitely feeling the effects of yesterday's workout today... legs and arms are stiff as feck! Started taking Omega-3 to reduce inflammation and whatnot, but these are definitely the most noticeable post-gym effects I've had so far. Squats clearly a bit more intense than I was giving them credit for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom