• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

I got told "eating all that broccoli can't be healthy"

The fuuuuuuck?

My father once said me that I shouldn't eat too much broccoli because of the nitrates or some shit..

I was eating like 200g a day and he's diabetic/overweight. Also everyone on that side of the family is concerned about my protein intake (I guess they think I eat like 5lbs chicken a day) while I'm the only one who's trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Shit makes me furious sometimes. Almost everyone else is overweight and (pre)diabetic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My rhomboids are visible in sweaters & hoodies, yet my traps still don't pop :(

IMO rhomboids sticking out is more impressive. But both would definitely be ideal.

Of course it doesn't mean anything. I'm just saying that DB Bench has its purposes and is a decent lift to have in your repertoire. You can train straight BB Bench fine without it. Many Rippetoe disciples hate on the DB Bench. I think that's a bad way of looking at it..

IMO if you're weak at it, you should b doing it. No matter DB or BB. And rotate every few weeks.

BumRush

Guys how often do you use deload weeks? And do you drop the weight, total volume or both?
I'm getting a bit too much connective tissue/joint pain and I'm thinking of deloading next week.

Every 6-8 weeks. I usually replace all weight training with resistance band training and bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, situps, weightless squats, outdoor running, hiking, etc.). I always come back stronger afterwards and it gives my joints a rest...

Hahahahaha yes!!
oleTkIG.jpg

Thanks IG.

On the subject of deloading. I never plan it. My body kind of just tells me when I need one. I know that might sound weird, but it's how I do most things in the gym. If I am either starting to plateau or just feel like shit during my workouts. I deload or just rest completely for a week. I usually bounce back the next week and get back to growing.

That's horrible advice to give someone though. I just feel like I've been lifting long enough to know what my body wants me to do.

BumRush

Thanks IG.

On the subject of deloading. I never plan it. My body kind of just tells me when I need one. I know that might sound weird, but it's how I do most things in the gym. If I am either starting to plateau or just feel like shit during my workouts. I deload or just rest completely for a week. I usually bounce back the next week and get back to growing.

First off, looking incredible Darth...i don't know where you started or where your "ideal" look is but you have to be there right now...

I feel like that is really good advice. If you plan on doing a deload every 8 weks but after 6 your body needs the break, take the rest...long term you'll be in a much better position.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
First off, looking incredible Darth...i don't know where you started or where your "ideal" look is but you have to be there right now...

I feel like that is really good advice. If you plan on doing a deload every 8 weks but after 6 your body needs the break, take the rest...long term you'll be in a much better position.

People don't need to deload as much as they think they do. They need to eat and sleep more.

In all honesty I think all those deloads I took on 5/3/1 waste my time. Hell, 5/3/1 wasted my time in general as far as a strength program. There are good ideas and philosophies in it though.

J. Bravo

People don't need to deload as much as they think they do. They need to eat and sleep more.

In all honesty I think all those deloads I took on 5/3/1 waste my time. Hell, 5/3/1 wasted my time in general as far as a strength program. There are good ideas and philosophies in it though.

what would you recommend as a better strength program?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'd imagine the strength program requirements of a guy who can OHP 280 lbs. are probably different than that of most people!

Just be civil and you won't be banned.

People are too afraid of being banned. You don't get banned for debating but personal attacks. Just keep it civil and you'll be fine.

Yeah umm I was ready to start the personal insults.

Thanks IG.

That's horrible advice to give someone though. I just feel like I've been lifting long enough to know what my body wants me to do.

Darth you continue to be a huge reason I cannot let my wife peruse fit gaf. Absolutely phenomenal man. To know that your lower half looks the way it does and you still have a upper torso like that blows my mind.

I agree about listening to your body. I do that for almost everything now. I think over time you start getting really good at deciphering all the little things your body is telling you and just going with that.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No deload weeks for me. I echo what Darth said. I went 2 years without any decrease in weight. Just kept showing up and lifting heavy. The only thing that made me take a step back one week was a tweaked shoulder that had nothing to do with not deloading. Brolic also made a solid point about eating and sleeping. Sometimes when I feel rundown and weak I will add calories and it usually works.

sphinx

the piano man
2 questions for everybody here (specially Darth, lol):

.- how long have you been working out/lifting weight consistently? when did you start'??

.- what was the longest pause you have taken since then?

my answers are:

.- Summer 2012. Around August I started incorporating some bodyweight stuff to my cardio/jogging routine. It just evolved from there.

.- longest time interval without a workout session of some sort, probably two weeks. around fall 2013 when I got sick.

rokkerkory

Thanks IG.

Zangief much? :)

Looking good man.

.- how long have you been working out/lifting weight consistently? when did you start'??

my answers are:

.- Summer 2012. Around August I started incorporating some bodyweight stuff to my cardio/jogging routine. It just evolved from there.

.- longest time interval without a workout session of some sort, probably two weeks. around fall 2013 when I got sick.

- Started weight training HS | 2000
- really serious and understood what I was doing - 2003

- Longest interval. A month when I went to Europe. Still did body weight exercises but that was it.

Cooter

my answers are:

Started when I was 13 in 1992. Lifted but wasn't educated but I was consistent so I saw results. Took a 1.5-2 year complete break in 05-07 due to a knee injury and a mild case of depression. Decided to get back into the gym and actually learn what I was doing when my uncle made fun of how fat I was. Started visiting this place regularly and the rest is history.

sphinx

the piano man
- Started weight training HS | 2000
- really serious and understood what I was doing - 2003

- Longest interval. A month when I went to Europe. Still did body weight exercises but that was it.

thanks for answering Bruce, I was really curious about you too.

guys like you, darth and cooter, among others look like the "end of the road" or "ultimate goal" for many of us who have been at it for a lot less.

Knowing it takes that amount of time is kind of reassuring,

EDIT: you too cooter ;-) thanks for answering

thanks for answering Bruce, I was really curious about you too.

guys like you, darth and cooter, among others look like the "end of the road" or "ultimate goal" for many of us who have been at it for a lot less.

Knowing it takes that amount of time is kind of reassuring,

EDIT: you too cooter ;-) thanks for answering

Course man :)

Establishing the habit is the most important aspect. Once you get to a point where it's a regular part of your life it just gets better and better. The immediate benefits to your overall health, mental fortitude and joy becomes the best part. The aesthetics are just the icing.

my answers are:

1. 1.5 years. Mayish of 2012, but didn't really know what I was doing until about August of 2012.

2. 1 week off for vacation.

xandaca

Tried a few barefoot squats - at home without a weight, as my legs are quite stiff from yesterday and I don't want to risk injuring myself - and while I think I've found a few things I was doing wrong in terms of technique (bending with my knees and so forth), getting all the way down is still a real struggle. Generally I can push myself to where my hip joint is very slightly above my knees, but below that means having to go on tip-toe. Don't know if it's just lack of flexibility after yesterday or something I'm still doing wrong.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

1) A little over seven months. Started in July of 2013 at 28 years old. Had never really lifted weights or been particularly active in life before this.

While not part of the question, I think I'll list my progress so far, too:

Squat: 95 -> 190
Deadlift: 105 -> 225
Overhead press: 55 -> 100
Bench Press: 95 -> 135​

I got up to 140 on the Bench Press, but changed my grip to something a bit safer and actually lost progress :/ I hate the bench press. Otherwise, progress has definitely slowed down in the past few months, which is disappointing. As long as I can improve my numbers a bit each month, I'll be happy. I'm hoping to be able to squat 315 by the time I'm 30 (about 15 months away), but it's looking difficult at this rate.

2) Three times for around four days to a week due to work travel.

SeanR1221

my answers are:

Still a fitness fetus here. Began training seriously in January 2012

Longest pause was for a month early on. I just kind of fell off randomly

Does anyone else find that they just *can't* bench in the power rack? I switched over so I could do my third set safely to failure, but none of the bar heights work for me. It's either too high or too low to make a difference. Bummer.

my answers are:

Been lifting since March 08, so 6 years off and on. Didn't really get into hardcore until about 2010, but I made a lot of progress before.

Longest gap of time out of the gym? After I had my pulmonary embolism a few years ago the doctors wouldn't let me even set foot in a gym for 6 months or so. I lost a lot of mass and put on a bit of weight, but after that is when I made my biggest gains.

I like the core philosophies of 531. Lift heavy weight every week in low reps. Increase as necessary. I think when it comes to pure strength, there are better programs. I much prefer to do something like Smolov for squats or bench or follow a specific DL program. It is what I did to bust through my PRs.

That being said, I like 531 right now as I am trying to maintain and if I can get some strength gains from it, so be it.

Alright fitness gaf, I need some tips.

I am a skinny guy, and I think my goal or ideal body would be something like Novak Djokovic's body. Now, I know hes a world class athlete, but I think its a somewhat obtainable form for myself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3799256-3x4-700x933.jpg

I am currently around 5'10, 150ish pounds. Any tips on how I should form my workout routine?

Good news is Novak's body isn't all that impressive.

But to aim for someone else's body is just ... tough to guess and depends on far too many things. You just need to lift and continue to improve yourself and look like the best version of yourself.

Just start with the program on the first page.

Chocobro

- Been lifting consistently ever since around mid-August 2013 but only started SS at the beginning of September 2013. So I've been lifting for about 5-6 months.
I wish my progress in the main lifts were as good as Zefah's.
I'm pretty OCD about squat and DL form and it feeling on-point, so progress there hasn't been as fast as it should be.
- Long pause was 16 days because my university gym was closed during the Christmas and New Year break. I'm going to be looking at a 8-9 day pause next month because my university gym won't open during Spring Break :(

BumRush

About two years ago now...

The longest string of consecutive days was probably 7-10 (and I HATED it)

moocow

my answers are:

Started summer of 08. But I have had a few stupid injuries when I was young from back problems, to dislocating a shoulder, so I had several periods where I took months off.

Started being consistent again maybe 3 years ago.

Longest time off since was appendectomy last year. Didn't touch a weight for over 2 months, and then built up from 0 because I was scared of popping a hernia through my scars/ newly weak abs.

sphinx

the piano man
AJanitor and BumRush,

absolutely no workout or physical activity whatsoever, of any kind, prior to your starting points, and you got there in 1.5-2 years??

damn, that's some reality check for me right there. we are the same generation, mostly.

but I didn't want to diet :p... lol.

AJanitor and BumRush,

absolutely no workout or physical activity whatsoever, of any kind, prior to your starting points, and you got there in 1.5-2 years??

damn, that's some reality check for me right there. we are the same generation, mostly.

but I didn't want to diet :p... lol.

Yah. I mean, I ran a little in high school (not on track or anything just for exercise) but it was like 2 mile runs 3x a week and I was just skinny. In my early 20s I messed around with P90x and stuff, but would do it for like 3 weeks and then stop, never anything serious.

I've got a long way to go still, but I have a "all or nothing" personality. When I commit to something I have laser focus and dedication. But it takes a lot for me to do something like that.

Down to 77,8 Kg/ (171,5 lbs) from 78,5 Kg/ (173,0 lbs).

Hue hue hue.

Did a mini PR on the bent rows today: 85 Kg.

I'm also out of protein powder for the time being, will it impact my weightloss progress if I last the remainder of the month without it? Financially it's not an economical option atm.

Can't wait to get back to bulking. Considering Taking one more month of weightloss dieting, cardio and IF.

My bulk will be glorious: homemade paleo-inspired banana muffins, carrot bread and pancakes. can't wei
gh
t.

Addi

Hi guys,

So, today I was told that I'm doing a photoshoot on friday. It's mostly a test shoot/for my portfolio and it's the first time I might do something shirtless (fashion, not fitness). My question is: How can I look the most ripped by friday? I've googled a bit but the articles I have found are based on a week or two of preparation, not three days like me (tuesday, wednesday, thursday). Today, before knowing about the shoot, I trained mostly chest and triceps (bench etc.) and ate normally.

Should I carb deplete for two days, then carb load on thursday, drink a lot of water, cut on sodium (and do some sauna) and then drink less the last 24-hours? What kind of training should I do?

Cooter

Hi guys,

So, today I was told that I'm doing a photoshoot on friday. It's mostly a test shoot/for my portfolio and it's the first time I might do something shirtless (fashion, not fitness). My question is: How can I look the most ripped by friday? I've googled a bit but the articles I have found are based on a week or two of preparation, not three days like me (tuesday, wednesday, thursday). Today, before knowing about the shoot, I trained mostly chest and triceps (bench etc.) and ate normally.

Should I carb deplete for two days, then carb load on thursday, drink a lot of water, cut on sodium (and do some sauna) and then drink less the last 24-hours? What kind of training should I do?
Your best bet is dehydrating yourself starting around 4 the day before.

I started in late 2007, but didn't start barbell movements until summer of 2008. I was consistent from 2008-2011, going 3x a week, but from 2011-mid 2013 was only getting in around 1-2 times a week on average. I would have breaks between 1-3 weeks consistently, with a couple of one month or longer breaks. Since starting 5/3/1 last fall, I've averaged 3-4 sessions a week (my goal is 3x) with 1 9-day break in that span. Otherwise, no break longer than 3 days.

When I look at some of you who have been lifting since around when I started, I am ashamed at my relative lack of progress. I am the only one to blame though as I was inconsistent for a solid Twp years there and lost so much strength and motivation. Never again though. When I don't lift, I feel shitty. Lifting has once again become addictive for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

iddqd

Mhmhm, all this de-load hate has me questioning my 5/3/1 program where I have to bench with 25 pound plates every couple of weeks / on press days.

BUT I'm going to stick to it a bit longer, I'll tell you guys you were right along in a couple more months then.

Cooper

My first recorded log is from August 2013, so about 6 months.

I had a 1 week trip where I wasn't nearby a gym around October.

When I first started, my lower body lifts progressed at a pretty steady pace, but my presses were going nowhere fast. Since then, I've gotten a bit better at the presses, though still doing nothing amazing. I'm having a hard time adding more weight to the deadlift and squat, but I'm still trying. My current 5RMs are

Squat: 137.5
Deadlift: 195
OHP: 60
Bench: 80

I did get a compliment from a gym goer the other day saying what a strong woman I was. It was nice to receive!

sphinx

the piano man
I will say, congratulations to everybody, to those who started a year ago and those who have been at it for many years.

One thing in common in all the responses is the commitment and seriousness, It was nice to read about it, thanks everyone for responding.

My first recorded log is from August 2013, so about 6 months.

I had a 1 week trip where I wasn't nearby a gym around October.

When I first started, my lower body lifts progressed at a pretty steady pace, but my presses were going nowhere fast. Since then, I've gotten a bit better at the presses, though still doing nothing amazing. I'm having a hard time adding more weight to the deadlift and squat, but I'm still trying. My current 5RMs are

Squat: 137.5
Deadlift: 195
OHP: 60
Bench: 80

I did get a compliment from a gym goer the other day saying what a strong woman I was. It was nice to receive!

hey that's one nice deadlift! :) lifting two plates isn't that far away.

it's been said a couple of times here, but OHP is brutal, if you didn't sleep or eat enough, the gym session is screwed. It happened to me last time, I did very decent 4x3 two weeks ago... last week I was hoping for 5x3 but on the first set, it was 3 reps... and the second set was 2 reps... and then I stepped away from the power rack..it also felt like I was hurting my back... it was a disaster...

Don't feel so bad about the presses, eventually we'll get stronger and improve our form.

J. Bravo

my answers are:

I started in 2009 2nd semester of senior year. Gained 40 pounds because of working at taco bell and lifting. Thought I was the shit and continued lifting somewhat in Hawaii my freshman year of college. After I came home I got a membership at planet fitness, then started working there and became hella aesthetic, but weak. Got fired there and didn't lift for a few months until I got a job at 24 hour fitness. Got a little stronger and a little less aesthetic. Once I lost my job there, I got a job at lifetime shortly after breaking my leg. Started lifting again 6 weeks after that injury (broke it Feb 28th, lifting again mid April). Now I'm here, been pretty consistent since then with a month where I had mono and couldn't lift very well. Numbers are flying up. Aesthetic and somewhat strong. Now I just gotta get big.

I'm on my 5th cycle of 5/3/1. Idk how long I'll do this. But its working so far, and I don't really know what other strength programs there are.

hmm started lifting 4 years ago but it was honestly a lot of fucking around and it took a while before it became a part of my life , started doing the routine in the OP for 4 months now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom