• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

After taking the last 2 weeks off, I come back today and bust out my 3x5 @260 on bench, right from where I left off. Feels really good, considering it took me a few weeks to complete my sets at 255.

Tomorrow are the 3 plate squats.

BumRush

AJanitor and BumRush,

absolutely no workout or physical activity whatsoever, of any kind, prior to your starting points, and you got there in 1.5-2 years??

damn, that's some reality check for me right there. we are the same generation, mostly.

but I didn't want to diet :p... lol.

I've played sports my whole life (soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey) but only started lifting 2 years ago. Anyone can make MAJOR changes in 2 years...but exercise and diet need to be done in tandem and a "cheat meal" can't turn into a cheat week...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've played sports my whole life (soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey) but only started lifting 2 years ago. Anyone can make MAJOR changes in 2 years...but exercise and diet need to be done in tandem and a "cheat meal" can't turn into a cheat week...
Screw meals... I partake in cheat DAYS!!

Husker86

Just got my dip belt today and used it tonight...why didn't I get this thing sooner?! I really hate doing highish reps of dips/pull(chin)ups, but I had to in order to feel the burn. Just having a 25 pound plate on the belt made a huge difference and made me push hard for 10 reps on dip (only 8 for chinups).

So your heels are elevated when wearing them? Thats pretty interesting. But yeah, I won't get that price in Canada unfortunately.

Yup, all olympic lifters wear them as well. It makes you stronger in your bottom position (as you noticed with the plates). The difference between these shoes and running shoes is that the sole is typically hard plastic or wood, so it doesn't give. An elevated heel isn't always bad, but a cushioned heel with give is not what you want.

Chocobro

Oh I get it for sure.

Though don't feel the news to get the top of the like ones if you aren't doing olympic lifting. These are pretty good, still not cheap, but not adipower prices: http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-powerlift-2.php
When I was researching WLing shoes, I found out the Powerlift 2 suffers the same compression problem as the Powerlift Trainer because they use the same EVA heel or something. The heel starts to compress when there's roughly a total load of 500 lbs. That being said, it would be hard for me to recommend that. If someone looking for a cheap WLing shoe, I would suggest them to take a look at the Wei Rui Warriors from maxbarbell. They're roughly $70+8 S/H

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Cooter

Just got my dip belt today and used it tonight...why didn't I get this thing sooner?! I really hate doing highish reps of dips/pull(chin)ups, but I had to in order to feel the burn. Just having a 25 pound plate on the belt made a huge difference and made me push hard for 10 reps on dip (only 8 for chinups).
It's the best! Really is. Weighted pull ups along with OHP are the two upper body exercises that make me feel the most manly! No offense girl FitGaf. :)

When I was researching WLing shoes, I found out the Powerlift 2 suffers the same compression problem as the Powerlift Trainer because they use the same EVA heel or something. The heel starts to compress when there's roughly a total load of 500 lbs. That being said, it would be hard for me to recommend that. If someone looking for a cheap WLing shoe, I would suggest them to take a look at the Wei Rui Warriors from maxbarbell. They're roughly $70+8 S/H

Oh good call. I forgot about the wei rui. Yes, much better choice.

I was posting from my phone so I didn't have all my bookmarks.

It's the best! Really is. Weighted pull ups along with OHP are the two upper body exercises that make me feel the most manly! No offense girl FitGaf. :)

The first time I loaded a 45lbs plate on my belt and did a pull-up, I fell in love.

J. Bravo

Squatted 340x4. Video incoming. I think I'm getting to the point where I need some dedicated power lifting shoes. We'll see though, 355 next week.

Is there any trick to upping my number of pull-ups/chin-ups, or can I program sets like I would anything else? I did 3x5 last workout, so next I should do 3x6? Does this sound right?

Cooter

Is there any trick to upping my number of pull-ups/chin-ups, or can I program sets like I would anything else? I did 3x5 last workout, so next I should do 3x6? Does this sound right?
Do them often. Explode up. Get your bf% down. Upping each workout by 1 is a start. Whatever you have to do man. Just keep doing it consistently.

Cooper

heh. OHP does make me feel strong, in spite of my low load. I'll get back to you on the pull-up thing. :p

Do them often. Explode up. Get your bf% down. Upping each workout by 1 is a start. Whatever you have to do man. Just keep doing it consistently.

Thanks! My inability to do pull-ups is embarrassing, especially considering my other lifts are decent for my weight--I just never do them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've included 3x8 dips and pull-ups (the wide grip kind) into my workout and am working my way up no weight assisting me on the machine. The thing is once I want to go above no weight assistance (already at that point on dips), what's the easiest way to add weight?

I-hate-u

Yup, all olympic lifters wear them as well. It makes you stronger in your bottom position (as you noticed with the plates). The difference between these shoes and running shoes is that the sole is typically hard plastic or wood, so it doesn't give. An elevated heel isn't always bad, but a cushioned heel with give is not what you want.

Rogue has a Canadian website.

Also weightliftingshoes.ca

MuscleDriver has some oly shoes for $99

http://www.muscledrivercan.com/2011-Pendlay-WL-Shoe--Yellow_p_89.html

Eleiko belt came in and fits like a charm.

Now my rehband knee sleeves and Tennis Ball shoes are next.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My squat is fixed. With help from a dude at my gym and watching Eric Lillibridge setup for his squat my shit is fixed. For th first time ever the bar feels stable and light on my back even at 405 which I did for a moderate-heavy 3.

500lb squat will be mine in a few months.

Husker86

I've included 3x8 dips and pull-ups (the wide grip kind) into my workout and am working my way up no weight assisting me on the machine. The thing is once I want to go above no weight assistance (already at that point on dips), what's the easiest way to add weight?

Dip belt!

Cooter

My weight lifting has really picked up since my shoulder has gotten better. Today I did 140s on flat DB and got five. I also weighed in at 194 this morning. My diet is started to really get dialed in and my shoulder cuts are FINALLY coming back! The more progress you see the easier it is to pass on that bowl of ice cream.

despire

Guys, I'm thinking about starting 5/3/1 after my cut is over and I'd like some opinions on the template I've cooked up. First of all I want to focus on strength and hypertrophy so I've been thinking 5/3/1. I'd also want to hit everything roughly twice a week. My legs are much better developed than my upper body so there's a bit less assistance on them. But I believe this should suffice. Also I'm thinking a lot of back/rear delt work. Planning on going 4x week.

I've been thinking about implementing the Dave Tate's Periodization Bible template or at least something in that sense:

Bench 5/3/1
Lateral Raise 3 x 15
Flat DB Bench 3 x 12
T-Bar Row 4 x 12
Face Pull 4 x 15-20
CGBP 5 x 10

Deadlift 5/3/1
GHR 4 x 10
Front Squat 4 x 10
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 15
DB Side Bend 2 x 20
Barbell Curl 2 x 12
Preacher Curl 2 x 12

Press 5/3/1
DB Press 3 x 12
Lateral Raise 3 x 15
Pull-up 4 x 10
Face Pull 4 x 15-20
CGBP 5 x 10

Squat 5/3/1
Snatch Grip DL 4 x 10
Leg Press 3 x 15
Calf Raise 3 x 8
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 15
DB Side Bend 2 x 20
Barbell Drag Curl 2 x 12

Good? Bad? Shit?

velociraptor

So I've been training harder than ever in the past month (put 22lbs on my bench, squat and deadlift in this month after stagnating for ages) and it feels like I've lost muscle mass rather than gained muscle mass? Is it my diet? Eating is probably the hardest part of this whole journey TBH.

Ive decided I'm just gonna get my calories post workout, I cant get get over the bloatedness and I almost threw up midworkout today, it wasnt a particularly hard session my body just cant process all this food and I feel uncomfortable :(

Go_Ly_Dow

Ive decided I'm just gonna get my calories post workout, I cant get get over the bloatedness and I almost threw up midworkout today, it wasnt a particularly hard session my body just cant process all this food and I feel uncomfortable :(

Give it 2-3 hours?

Get worn out quick myself without eating a decent amount beforehand.

SeanR1221

After taking the last 2 weeks off, I come back today and bust out my 3x5 @260 on bench, right from where I left off. Feels really good, considering it took me a few weeks to complete my sets at 255.

Tomorrow are the 3 plate squats.

Rest does a body good!! It's crazy to think what your 1rm might be on those lifts. Nice job bud.

ACE 1991

I assume this is just bro science but is not true that if I blend stuff like uncooked rolled oats and bananas to make a shake it diminishes the nutritional value?

velociraptor

I assume this is just bro science but is not true that if I blend stuff like uncooked rolled oats and bananas to make a shake it diminishes the nutritional value?

good question. I do the exact same because I'm too lazy to cook it.

I suppose what you could do is soak them in water for 5-10 minutes, and then add your banana/protein/milk whatever and blend.

ACE 1991

good question. I do the exact same because I'm too lazy to cook it.

I suppose what you could do is soak them in water for 5-10 minutes, and then add your banana/protein/milk whatever and blend.

So are saying that cooking/soaking them is important to ensure I get all the nutrition?

BumRush

On back days I end my workout with 75 pull ups, no matter how many sets it takes me to get there...sometimes it takes 5 sets, sometimes 7, but I try to do it fast - minimal breaks (I shoot for < 5 min) - while maintaining perfect form (which is obviously key).

Try to do the same...maybe shoot for 25 pull ups in as many sets / minutes as it takes...after a few weeks of this you'll naturally be doing more pull ups per set.

velociraptor

So are saying that cooking/soaking them is important to ensure I get all the nutrition?
To aid digestion, yes.

It also depends on your body. Some people find it causes them bloating and gas.

Personally I feel fine. But then again I always leave the oats in water for 5-10 mins prior to grinding.

You could also pre-grind the oats (dry).

Simplet

Is there any way I can make my thighs less massive? I know you can't really target specific areas for weight loss and yadda yadda yadda but seriously, my thighs are freakish. There must be something I can do.

I'm somewhat chubby, 205lbs for 6 feet but my waist is OK, it's just that buying pants is a pain in the ass because of my thighs. It's not like I'm a squat master either, if anything my squat is lagging behind my other lifts.

Is there any way I can make my thighs less massive? I know you can't really target specific areas for weight loss and yadda yadda yadda but seriously, my thighs are freakish. There must be something I can do.

I'm somewhat chubby, 205lbs for 6 feet but my waist is OK, it's just that buying pants is a pain in the ass because of my thighs. It's not like I'm a squat master either, if anything my squat is lagging behind my other lifts.

Nope, just lose weight, nothing to target specifically.

Maybe this can help I started doing this before I did any weightlifting, I can currently do about 12 reps comfortably

Here is a powerful Russian pullup program adaptable
to any level of ability.
The 5RM Russian Pullup Program
Day 1
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Day 2
5, 4, 3, 2, 2
Day 3
5, 4, 3, 3, 2
Day 4
5, 4, 4, 3, 2
Day 5
5, 5, 4, 3, 2
Day 6
off
Day 7
6, 5, 4, 3, 2
Day 8
6, 5, 4, 3, 3
Day 9
6, 5, 4, 4, 3
Day 10
6, 5, 5, 4, 3
Day 11
6, 6, 5, 4, 3
Day 12
off
Day 13
7, 6, 5, 4, 3
Day 14
7, 6, 5, 4, 4
Day 15
7, 6, 5, 5, 4
Day 16
7, 6, 6, 5, 4
Day 17
7, 7, 6, 5, 4
Day 18
off
Day 19
8, 7, 6, 5, 4
Day 20
8, 7, 6, 5, 5
Day 21
8, 7, 6, 6, 5
Day 22
8, 7, 7, 6, 5
Day 23
8, 8, 7, 6, 5
Day 24
off
Day 25
9, 8, 7, 6, 5
Day 26
9, 8, 7, 6, 6
Day 27
9, 8, 7, 7, 6
Day 28
9, 8, 8, 7, 6
Day 29
9, 9, 8, 7, 6
Day 30
off
You start with an all-out set and then cut a rep in
each consecutive set for a total of five sets.
The next day add a rep to the last set. Then a rep to
the set before that, etc. The system is
intended to be used for four weeks. In the end of the
month take two or three days off and
then test yourself. It is not unusual to up the reps
2.5-3 times. In other words, you are likely
to end up cranking out 12-15 reps if you started with
5. If you can already do between 6 and
12 reps start the program with the first day your PR
shows up. For instance, if your max is 6
pullups start with Day 7; if your max is 8 start with
Day 19.
If you run into a snag with this routine, back off a
week and build up again. If you hit the
wall again switch to another routine.
Here is how the program applies to those who
currently max at three pullups. The below is
also excellent for anyone whose goal is pure strength
rather than reps; just hang a kettlebell
or a barbell plate on your waist to bring the reps
down to three.
The 3RM Russian Pullup Program
Day 1
3, 2, 1, 1
Day 2
3, 2, 1, 1
Day 3
3, 2, 2, 1
Day 4
3, 3, 2, 1
Day 5
4, 3, 2, 1
Day 6
off
Day 7
4, 3, 2, 1, 1
Day 8
4, 3, 2, 2, 1
Day 9
4, 3, 3, 2, 1
Day 10
4, 4, 3, 2, 1
Day 11
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Day 12
off
Now you are ready to move up to the 5RM program.
For a fighter capable of 15 pullups the routine would
look like this:
The15RM Russian Pullup Program
Day 1
15RMx12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Day 2
15RMx12, 10, 8, 6, 6
Day 3
15RMx12, 10, 8, 8, 6
Day 4
15RMx12, 10, 10, 8, 6
Day 5
15RMx12, 12, 10, 8, 6
Day 6
off
Day 7
15RMx14, etc.
A stud with a 25-pullup max would do it slightly
differently:
The 25RM Russian Pullup Program
Day 1
25RMx20, 16, 12, 8, 4
Day 2
25RMx20, 16, 12, 8, 8
Day 3
25RMx20, 16, 12, 12, 8
Day 4
25RMx20, 16, 16, 12, 8
Day 5
25RMx20, 20, 16, 12, 8
Day 6
off
Day 7
25RMx22, etc.
You can see that the higher the RM, the quicker the
reps drop off. The reason is simple. You
should have no problem doing four reps a few
minutes after 5RMx5. But x24 is not going to
happen after an all-out set of 25. The higher the reps,
the greater the fatigue. Therefore
you need to start more reps down from your rep-max
and cut the reps more between sets.
Experiment. An extra day of rest here and there is
also in order; the recovery from sets of
fifteen or twenty is not nearly as quick as from fives
and triples.
Yakov Zobnin from Siberia, the Heavyweight World
Champion in Kyokushinkai, “the world’s
strongest karate”, stands over 6’6” and tops the
scale at 220 pounds. In spite of his
basketball height and exhausting full contact
training, the karateka maxes out at twenty-
five strict pullups. What is your excuse?
Power to you!
Pavel is a former Soviet Special Forces physical
training instructor and the author of The
Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-
Strong –Using Bodyweight Exercises Only.
Subscribe to his free newsletter on
www.PowerbyPavel.com
Source http://www.kbnj.com/
FighterPullupByPavel.htm

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Guys, I'm thinking about starting 5/3/1 after my cut is over and I'd like some opinions on the template I've cooked up. First of all I want to focus on strength and hypertrophy so I've been thinking 5/3/1. I'd also want to hit everything roughly twice a week. My legs are much better developed than my upper body so there's a bit less assistance on them. But I believe this should suffice. Also I'm thinking a lot of back/rear delt work. Planning on going 4x week.

I've been thinking about implementing the Dave Tate's Periodization Bible template or at least something in that sense:

Bench 5/3/1
Lateral Raise 3 x 15
Flat DB Bench 3 x 12
T-Bar Row 4 x 12
Face Pull 4 x 15-20
CGBP 5 x 10

Deadlift 5/3/1
GHR 4 x 10
Front Squat 4 x 10
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 15
DB Side Bend 2 x 20
Barbell Curl 2 x 12
Preacher Curl 2 x 12

Press 5/3/1
DB Press 3 x 12
Lateral Raise 3 x 15
Pull-up 4 x 10
Face Pull 4 x 15-20
CGBP 5 x 10

Squat 5/3/1
Snatch Grip DL 4 x 10
Leg Press 3 x 15
Calf Raise 3 x 8
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 15
DB Side Bend 2 x 20
Barbell Drag Curl 2 x 12

Good? Bad? Shit?

I'd have to know why you picked what you picked. Personally stuff like face pull and lateral raise fall under rehab/prehab. I'd stick bicep work on bench day and focus on back/hamstrings on deadlift day. I'd also move snatch grip DL to deadlift day and add good mornings to squat day. I also wouldn't bench 3 times on bench day. I'd replace DB bench OR CGBP with a more tricep focused movement and/or dips. I'd probably pick lying tricep extensions or a machine to isolate triceps personally.

In general it all depends but you have to be smart and have an intention behind everything you're picking.

Petrie

Banned
Enjoying those linear gains again. Before my break during November and December I was at around 335lbs 1RM on squats and 255lbs 1RM on bench. Those were with my belt.

Today I did 3x5 285 on squats and 3x5 205lbs on bench. Without my belt. I know it doesn't translate directly from one to the other, but I get the feeling I'm close to being stronger than I was pre-break given the fact that I haven't even brought my belt back into my training. Previously I was using it for all my 5/3/1 work sets.

We'll see how long I can ride out this progression though. Might have to drop my increases to 5lbs on squats and deads and 2.5 on bench and OHP soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom