• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cut's going well. I don't believe in scales for anything except food, but I'm definitely losing weight. Ready to see some STRIATIONS but I've got a couple months to go.

despire

I'd have to know why you picked what you picked. Personally stuff like face pull and lateral raise fall under rehab/prehab. I'd stick bicep work on bench day and focus on back/hamstrings on deadlift day. I'd also move snatch grip DL to deadlift day and add good mornings to squat day. I also wouldn't bench 3 times on bench day. I'd replace DB bench OR CGBP with a more tricep focused movement and/or dips. I'd probably pick lying tricep extensions or a machine to isolate triceps personally.

In general it all depends but you have to be smart and have an intention behind everything you're picking.

Ok thanks. Let me try to clear things up a bit.

Most of the exercises picked are either in Wendlers list in the ebook or are pretty similar. I picked lateral raises because I wanted something that would also hit the mid delts directly thought I'm not quite sure if this would be necessary. Also they would allow some shoulder work on Bench Day without fatigueing my triceps. Face pulls because they are good for shoulders and hit your rear delts/upper back. Other ideas are also welcome. The Snatch Grip DL was placed in to the squat day since it's been something I've seen people do and advocate here (for example SeanR).

I was thinking that CGBP might be too much for one day. LTE's would be my second choice. Also can't do dips :(

ACE 1991

To aid digestion, yes.

It also depends on your body. Some people find it causes them bloating and gas.

Personally I feel fine. But then again I always leave the oats in water for 5-10 mins prior to grinding.

You could also pre-grind the oats (dry).

Ok, thanks! So other than that there isn't anything nutritionally different about blending my food? I'm thinking of making my breakfast every morning a shake consisting of 2 servings of unrolled oats, 2 servings on peanut butter, 2 cups milk and 1 banana.

I don't always post progress pics...but when I do, it's after 9 months of hard work cutting and never missing a day of tracking calories.

8CqQDEx.jpg

wuY19Es.jpg
Stay fit, my friends.

Gonna take a few days rest, spend a week and a half eating at maintenance, and then...
It is time to bulk.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok thanks. Let me try to clear things up a bit.

Most of the exercises picked are either in Wendlers list in the ebook or are pretty similar. I picked lateral raises because I wanted something that would also hit the mid delts directly thought I'm not quite sure if this would be necessary. Also they would allow some shoulder work on Bench Day without fatigueing my triceps. Face pulls because they are good for shoulders and hit your rear delts/upper back. Other ideas are also welcome. The Snatch Grip DL was placed in to the squat day since it's been something I've seen people do and advocate here (for example SeanR).

I was thinking that CGBP might be too much for one day. LTE's would be my second choice. Also can't do dips :(

Snatch grip DLs are good. Just try them and see if they do anything for your pull. It's a good upper back builder and is basically a deficit pull. Personally I do face pulls extra and don't count them in my program. They aren't something to be pushed. It's just extra work. Lateral raises for me are a finisher dropset along with rear delts on OHP day. LTE straight into Jefferson press is great for tricep and will kill you. Rolling extensions are good too.

Find what works and move stuff around.

I've gotten to the point now I don't even follow a "program" by gospel. I go by the basic premise and just do what I want in the gym now.

Cudder

Enjoying those linear gains again. Before my break during November and December I was at around 335lbs 1RM on squats and 255lbs 1RM on bench. Those were with my belt.

Today I did 3x5 285 on squats and 3x5 205lbs on bench. Without my belt. I know it doesn't translate directly from one to the other, but I get the feeling I'm close to being stronger than I was pre-break given the fact that I haven't even brought my belt back into my training. Previously I was using it for all my 5/3/1 work sets.

We'll see how long I can ride out this progression though. Might have to drop my increases to 5lbs on squats and deads and 2.5 on bench and OHP soon.

I never understood why you would want to do linear progression with anything other than the smallest weight increases you could do. I think SS has you increasing your deadlift and squat by 10lbs everytime? Doesn't make much sense to me, it will just make you stall out quicker. If I could increase all my lifts by only 2.5 pounds a week I would, but I have to settle for 5lb increases.

On back days I end my workout with 75 pull ups, no matter how many sets it takes me to get there...sometimes it takes 5 sets, sometimes 7, but I try to do it fast - minimal breaks (I shoot for < 5 min) - while maintaining perfect form (which is obviously key).

Try to do the same...maybe shoot for 25 pull ups in as many sets / minutes as it takes...after a few weeks of this you'll naturally be doing more pull ups per set.

Maybe this can help I started doing this before I did any weightlifting, I can currently do about 12 reps comfortably

Thanks, guys! Both of these methods look interesting.

ACE 1991

Saving up all my calories to demolish a large dominos pizza tonight... It lists a large thin crust with onions, mushrooms and chicken as 1720 calories for the whole pie which seems pretty low to me. Are the calculators on Dominos accurate?

Petrie

Banned
I never understood why you would want to do linear progression with anything other than the smallest weight increases you could do. I think SS has you increasing your deadlift and squat by 10lbs everytime? Doesn't make much sense to me, it will just make you stall out quicker. If I could increase all my lifts by only 2.5 pounds a week I would, but I have to settle for 5lb increases.

There's probably truth to this. I guess I just figured it made sense on the bigger lifts, though I'm probably dropping the increases next week. Hoping I can push it to 315 3x5 on squats before I have to switch it up/use my belt again.

blackflag

Well there's a first time for everything....

Felt normal today on bench. worked up to 7x275. Put 315 on, went to take a nasty dump, came back lifted it off the bar and my arms were noodles. Couldn't even get it back to the first pin.

I can typically do between 2-4 reps depending if I'm cutting or not and my max is 355 but I could just not move it. Some dude came over and helped me. It's not like it was totally pinning me though, I was fixing to push one end off to the floor.

No, I still won't use a spotter :)

Petrie

Banned
Saving up all my calories to demolish a large dominos pizza tonight... It lists a large thin crust with onions, mushrooms and chicken as 1720 calories for the whole pie which seems pretty low to me. Are the calculators on Dominos accurate?

Sounds about right. Thin pizza doesn't have a lot to it, and the dough is where the calories pile on.

SeanR1221

You know, you make a good point. I should really just do 5lb jumps on 5/3/1 on squats and deads right now, especially since Im just looking to maintain.

Heres my plan. Run 5/3/1 until May. Go on vacation and end my cut. Stuff my face with delicious resort food. Come back and test all my 1RMs.

Then its time for a smart bulk. I'm gonna eat like I am now, with more of the same foods. Getting off 5/3/1 at that point. I might do Ed Coan's peaking cycle again.

Started my cut the day after Superbowl, which was 2 weeks early as I was going to start my cut on Monday. I was at the point that I was just starting to become uncomfortable in my body. I've been working out for 15 years and never tried a real bulk like this before quitting after a week. I did it for 2 months and glad I stopped when I did. My legs were having difficulty fitting in my jeans and I started feeling fat. I still had my muscle definition though.

Since I started really cutting the weird thing is that I feel like i've only lost water weight. At my bulk peak I was 178lbs. On Saturday I was about 174lbs. This is perfect timing too because I am talking to 3 really hot girls right now. Like 8/9's no joke. So its a much better look when I am more lean and I am much more confident.

Don't think Ill ever do a real bulk again. The thought of eating another 1000 calories of oat meal a day makes me gag

Before this bulk was about 10% BF than prob bulked up to 14/15%. I feel like I am now sitting on 12/13%

I don't always post progress pics...but when I do, it's after 9 months of hard work cutting and never missing a day of tracking calories.

Stay fit, my friends.

Gonna take a few days rest, spend a week and a half eating at maintenance, and then...
It is time to bulk.

Lookin great!!
As someone at a similar weight, mind if I ask how tall you are and the amount of weights you're putting up on your lifts?

despire

My cutting plan is pretty much set in stone.

I start on next weeks sunday or the following monday at the latest. First Lyle's RLFD for up to six weeks (maximum). Then it's conveniently Easter and I also need to take a diet break for two weeks. After that I'll start Lyle's UD 2.0 which I will continue for a maximum of 6-8 weeks depending on how long I need. Then it's around Midsummer's Eve and I'd be happy if I can finish things before that. Should hopefully finish well in advance so I can take a diet break beforehand. After that I'll slowly reverse diet.

RFLD is pretty crappy in terms of food intake but it also works so damn well. I've never lost strength on it (even gained some) and the fat just flies away. Also Lyle says you exactly what do so there's no second guessing. I tend to think and analyze this stuff too much so it's a relief to be honest. I picked UD 2.0 for the same reason. No second guessing, just going through the motions. The depletion workouts are crap but the sundays power workout is awesome because you feel so fucking strong after eating ~6k calories on saturday.

I start on next weeks sunday or the following monday at the latest. First Lyle's RLFD for up to six weeks (maximum). Then it's conveniently Easter and I also need to take a diet break for two weeks. After that I'll start Lyle's UD 2.0 which I will continue for a maximum of 6-8 weeks depending on how long I need. Then it's around Midsummer's Eve and I'd be happy if I can finish things before that. Should hopefully finish well in advance so I can take a diet break beforehand. After that I'll slowly reverse diet.

RFLD is pretty crappy in terms of food intake but it also works so damn well. I've never lost strength on it (even gained some) and the fat just flies away. Also Lyle says you exactly what do so there's no second guessing. I tend to think and analyze this stuff too much so it's a relief to be honest. I picked UD 2.0 for the same reason. No second guessing, just going through the motions. The depletion workouts are crap but the sundays power workout is awesome because you feel so fucking strong after eating ~6k calories on saturday.

you have a link to a quick and dirty version of the RFLD. that is one i've never heard of before. Does it work with existing weight programming or is it like UD in that aspect?

despire

you have a link to a quick and dirty version of the RFLD. that is one i've never heard of before. Does it work with existing weight programming or is it like UD in that aspect?

I don't really sorry. You can try googling yourself or I can try to find something tomorrow if I have time. So much depends on your initial BF% and if you lift or not. If you buy his book you get access to a nifty online calculator that gives you all the numbers.

You can do your own routine I guess unless it radically differs from Lyles example routine. He gives pretty good guidelines about volume and such. I'm going to do 2x week version of GSLP with a little assistance so it mimics his example full body routine.

Thanks guys! FitGAF has been indispensable in killing boredom and distracting me during times of hunger.

Lookin great!!
As someone at a similar weight, mind if I ask how tall you are and the amount of weights you're putting up on your lifts?

5'10". I've been doing the UD2.0 workouts and the heavier days are full-body workouts (only one of which you're actually carb-loaded for) but here are a few plucked from my last power workout which came right after my "after" picture :)

Deadlift - 275 x 5
Bench - 195 x 5
Incline Bench - 155 x 5
CGBP - 145 x 6
BB Row - 165 x 6
Front Squat - 175 x 5
OHP - 115 x 6 (Always towards the end after benching, I bet I could still do 135 if I were fresh)
Chinups - 50 x 5

Deadlift and upper body lifts are pretty much exactly where they were 9 months ago which I'm happy about (deads are down a little bit). Considering the weight losts my chinups are technically up a few pounds. Incline bench, BB rows and front squats I wasn't doing before UD2.0 so I have nothing to compare to but fuck front squats anyways, they're fucking miserable.

You have chosen wisely. Good luck! Don't try to be a hero in the gym on RFL, just stick to the book and endure.

Szu

Stay fit, my friends.

It is time to bulk.

Nice job, dude. The fact that you have a sweet beard really seals the deal with that comment.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Stay fit, my friends.

It is time to bulk.

Fucking A! I love this place and how we have dozens of people who set their mind to something and come out looking like a whole different person! Very nice work. Delts are looking lean and mean!

sphinx

the piano man
today I tried a "pre-workout" for the first time. I got a free sample when I bought protein last time.

my review would be:

.- it doesn't make you stronger, in the least (lol, just in case you thought it would)
.- it does help you with shorter rest periods, it's very much a red bull.
.- it tastes like shit.

no need for this, specially for those who get a kick with simple coffee (not one of those, sadly)

I tore a muscle on my right bicep today doing a stupid push-up.... I wonder whether the preworkout hat something to do with it, it felt like I pushed it too hard on that one hard variation...

it's like my body is doing everything to put me out of the gym. Last week was lower back, the week before that was left knee. I suspect my arm will hurt a lot tomorrow. If that's the case, then fuck all upper body gains in the ass and I'll go do leg and cardio for the next two weeks or longer if needed.

Cooter

today I tried a "pre-workout" for the first time. I got a free sample when I bought protein last time.

my review would be:

.- it doesn't make you stronger, in the least (lol, just in case you thought it would)
.- it does help you with shorter rest periods, it's very much a red bull.
.- it tastes like shit.

no need for this, specially for those who get a kick with simple coffee (not one of those, sadly)

I tore a muscle on my right bicep today doing a stupid push-up.... I wonder whether the preworkout hat something to do with it, it felt like I pushed it too hard on that one hard variation...

it's like my body is doing everything to put me out of the gym. Last week was lower back, the week before that was left knee. I suspect my arm will hurt a lot tomorrow. If that's the case, then fuck all upper body gains in the ass and I'll go do leg and cardio for the next two weeks or longer if needed.

You're not implying Red Bull taste like shit are you? Blasphemy! It's delicious!

sphinx

the piano man
mmhh,, red bull tastes a bit better than this pre-workout I drank, so much is true, lol

red bull is in the "weird taste" category, not "bad taste" category for me.

Cooter

mmhh,, red bull tastes a bit better than this pre-workout I drank, so much is true, lol

red bull is in the "weird taste" category, not "bad taste" category for me.
Good. Now drink it after your workout and watch the muscles grow!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Haven't posted here in awhile but back on lifting train again. Doing an SS style routine again to get back my strength since I can barely handle doing more than the 5/3/1 lifts. Did OHP/Squat/Deadlift today but had like nothing left for pull ups besides 1 set of 10 :(. Though with that said I was able to muster up 1 rep of 225 lbs with double overhand grip. Did not think I could do that but was pleasantly surprised when I did!. Had to resort to mixed grip after for the last 4 reps though.

moocow

Stay fit, my friends.

It is time to bulk.

That's great progress man. How tall are you again?

I did back today after taking I think 4 a few days off because I was worried about my back from all the shoveling. It was 5's week and I managed 320x12 for deadlifts. I'm happy with the weight but it felt tougher than I would have liked. Also, I tried hook grip for the first time. Going to do this every workout, and hopefully it becomes a viable mixed grip replacement eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom