• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

My squat is fixed. With help from a dude at my gym and watching Eric Lillibridge setup for his squat my shit is fixed. For th first time ever the bar feels stable and light on my back even at 405 which I did for a moderate-heavy 3.

500lb squat will be mine in a few months.

Is this a video? Do you have a link for it? Thanks!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is this a video? Do you have a link for it? Thanks!

Just YouTube Eric Lilliebridge squat. When he sets up he stands up I front of the bar. Pulls everything tight and rubs up and down until he hits the lowest, most stable part on his back. When the bar catches he then continues the rest of his setup and executes.

I assume I would have to do it with a barbell, like in the video, and not with a resistance band or a rod? I usually do the overhead squats with a band during the routine, which is why I'm asking.

Yup, a barbell is best. It helps for it to have a little weight. Good luck. This was far harder than I thought it would be when I did it.

Rogue has a Canadian website.

Now my rehband knee sleeves and Tennis Ball shoes are next.

Rehband sleeves are amazing. I have been using them for a year and they are as good as new. Make my knees feel a lot better.

Brolic, how close are you to hitting 500lbs? I'm pretty close to hitting 400lbs I think. Was hoping to have someone else to gauge progress a bit.

rokkerkory

Weird day today, felt good and went heavier than usual for chest. This is with reduce calories for cutting but I got really good night's rest so maybe that helped. Normally I'd be dying by 3-4pm with cutting.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Rehband sleeves are amazing. I have been using them for a year and they are as good as new. Make my knees feel a lot better.

Brolic, how close are you to hitting 500lbs? I'm pretty close to hitting 400lbs I think. Was hoping to have someone else to gauge progress a bit.

I'm on my knees so often at work, no I'm not hookin, that it takes its toll. Knees measured close to 40 cm but ordered the mediums at 33-36 for a tight fit.

lol

And Lilliebridge is awesome. Follow lots of those guys on yt even if I don't powerlift, many of them are humble as fuck too.

Chocobro

Yup, a barbell is best. It helps for it to have a little weight. Good luck. This was far harder than I thought it would be when I did it.
Thanks! I think I can put the Sotts Press at the end with the ankle mobility stretch. It'll probably prep me for when I get into OLs a year or two later.
I wish my routine takes less than 30 minutes or so :(
I honestly don't know what type of squat I do. I put the bar in a comfortable spot and go.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCiyevf1eg

That looks like low-bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

445 was a week ago at high bar. If I had to guess I'd say I'll be there or damn close in 3-4 months. Also about the time I expect a 300lb OHP and 400lb bench. When this happens all my main goals will be complete (600lb deadlift 'done' , 400lb bench 500lb squat and 300lb OHP). Then the real training/planning begins.

Edit: yeah that's low bar cooter. This was me with high bar.
http://youtu.be/Wvz4pU6F11I

445 was a week ago at high bar. If I had to guess I'd say I'll be there or damn close in 3-4 months. Also about the time I expect a 300lb OHP and 400lb bench. When this happens all my main goals will be complete (600lb deadlift 'done' , 400lb bench 500lb squat and 300lb OHP). Then the real training/planning begins.

Edit: yeah that's low bar cooter.

My High bar is at 360# as of Jan 15th (last time I 1RM). Here's hoping to hit 400lbs around the same time.

My goal for the end of this year is 400lbs+ High bar squat, 500lbs deadlift, 300lbs bench. That's if I still hover at 190lbs though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh! I want to get in on the 2014 goal train!

Ok. Weight will hover between 185-190.

DL-570
Squat-475
OHP-240
Bench-380
Muscle up-55

MrToughPants

Edit: yeah that's low bar cooter. This was me with high bar.
http://youtu.be/Wvz4pU6F11I

Are those Adidas track pants? I think I have those.

A 1500-1600lbs total would be certified Brolic.

Ya weird hybrid squat there but if you worked out your lowbar it's probably better as that seem what you were trying to do in that vid with a wider stance and using some lowerback. I close stance shoulder width dive bomb my squats and get the stretch flex out of the hole trying to keep torso upright as possible. If my balls don't stick to the carpet and bounce back for momentum I'll fail my squat.

I'm starting a 6 week cycle on my light days so;

5x10 starting at ~110kg/250 and increase by ~20lbs and by the 6th week will finish with a x20 set with 160kg/352. I'll post a vid if health permits.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Are those Adidas track pants? I think I have those.

A 1500-1600lbs total would be certified Brolic.

Ya weird hybrid squat there but if you worked out your lowbar it's probably better as that seem what you were trying to do in that vid with a wider stance and using some lowerback. I close stance shoulder width dive bomb my squats and get the stretch flex out of the hole trying to keep torso upright as possible. If my balls don't stick to the carpet and bounce back for momentum I'll fail my squat.

I'm starting a 6 week cycle on my light days so;

5x10 starting at ~110kg/250 and increase by ~20lbs and by the 6th week will finish with a x20 set with 160kg/352. I'll post a vid if health permits.

Yep. The black Adidas track pants with red and gray trim. Stretchy material. And yeah. I think this is why my squat never felt right I was trying to do low bar with a high bar position.

I don't always post progress pics...but when I do, it's after 9 months of hard work cutting and never missing a day of tracking calories.

Stay fit, my friends.

Gonna take a few days rest, spend a week and a half eating at maintenance, and then...
It is time to bulk.

Impressive work. It doesn't look like you lost a gram of muscle. All fat.

I remember you told me you were on your 6th cycle of UD2.0, I thought you meant the 6th week but apparently you did 6 full runs. Did you take any breaks between cycles? I'd like to see 1st and 2nd month pics to compare, if you have them.

MrToughPants

Yep. The black Adidas track pants with red and gray trim. Stretchy material. And yeah. I think this is why my squat never felt right I was trying to do low bar with a high bar position.

You look like you'd be stronger in that position with that PC gorilla strenf. I bet you'll be at 1600+ gym total by years end. Any plans to compete soon?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For the record. And why I think this is such a game changer. I just looked at Google drive. My last 3rm a month ago and it was hard as hell was 345. Yesterday I could have done 405 for 4 or even 5.

You look like you'd be stronger in that position with that PC gorilla strenf. I bet you'll be at 1600+ gym total by years end. Any plans to compete soon?

Yeah I had to miss the NASA comp last December with the new house and my sons surgery. But me and a few dudes at th gym wanna hit the next one.

As for that gym total. I sure hope so. Everything just feels like it's coming together so well.

Impressive work. It doesn't look like you lost a gram of muscle. All fat.

I remember you told me you were on your 6th cycle of UD2.0, I thought you meant the 6th week but apparently you did 6 full runs. Did you take any breaks between cycles? I'd like to see 1st and 2nd month pics to compare, if you have them.

Oh noooooooo no no, it was actually the last 7 weeks. Jesus christ almighty, if I did 6 rounds of UD2.0 I would be divorced and probably locked up in an asylum.

From the start I did:

6 week RFL
3 week maintenance
2 month normal deficit
2 week maintenance
4 week RFL - after pics: http://imgur.com/a/mWWJM
1 week devouring an entire Disney Cruise
2 month normal deficit - after pics: http://imgur.com/a/IJ8Qz
2 weeks Christmas cookies
7 weeks UD2.0

Current status: Don Flamenco.
2015 Goal status: Super Macho Man.

Brolic status: Bald Bull

For the record. And why I think this is such a game changer. I just looked at Google drive. My last 3rm a month ago and it was hard as hell was 345. Yesterday I could have done 405 for 4 or even 5.

Yeah I had to miss the NASA comp last December with the new house and my sons surgery. But me and a few dudes at th gym wanna hit the next one.

As for that gym total. I sure hope so. Everything just feels like it's coming together so well.

Yah, some of it was noob gains, but I went from 225 in December of 2012 to 360 in December of 2013 on my squat. So I'm hoping I can eek out at least 40lbs this year. Problem is I need to cut about 15lbs first. So... goodbye gains.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yah, some of it was noob gains, but I went from 225 in December of 2012 to 360 in December of 2013 on my squat. So I'm hoping I can eek out at least 40lbs this year. Problem is I need to cut about 15lbs first. So... goodbye gains.

15 ain't bad. Do it slow and controlled and I'd bet you don't lose much if at all. Might even still gain.

MrToughPants

Shit that sucks, sorry to hear. Your progress seems good though and ya with new squat technique, squats won't be holding you back.

Cudder

It is done! Tonight I squatted 315lbs for 3 sets of 5. I never could have imagined myself reaching a milestone like this when I first started working out. 3 plates on any exercise was a goal I've had for a long time, and tonight it was realized.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Feeling super proud of myself!

Oh, and get this.

I felt my shorts rip little by little on every single rep I did tonight. My first pair of ripped shorts from squatting. I think I'll keep this in my hall of gains as a memory/souvenir of this great night.

IMG_20140218_235900.jpg

Man, you guys are impressive.

any suggestions to further my weight loss. I need a physical change in my life. I hate the way I look.

Was about 340(yes I am a fat ass) about 2.5 weeks ago and have dropped down to about 328 with a simple change in diet.

I've started trying to be more active also. Have been trying to complete 10k steps with a fitbit daily. Try to do at least part of that jogging.

I have a set of 25lb weights. Been doing dumbbell squats, deadlifts, clean and press, and rows. No where as near as awesome as you guys though.

Try to do as many crunches as I can. Also do, well attempt to do, yoga at home.

I don't have a gym pass yet and can't really afford one because I am out of work until Sept. I would like to get a personal trainer too that will really show me the correct techniques for all the compound exercises that you guys do.

Is it possible to lose a good amount of weight until Sept when I return to work and can really hit the gym?

It is done! Tonight I squatted 315lbs for 3 sets of 5. I never could have imagined myself reaching a milestone like this when I first started working out. 3 plates on any exercise was a goal I've had for a long time, and tonight it was realized.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Oh, and get this.

I felt my shorts rip little by little on every single rep I did tonight. My first pair of ripped shorts from squatting. I think I'll keep this in my hall of gains as a memory/souvenir of this great night.

IMG_20140218_235900.jpg

Damn, well done sir. Those are good looking squats.

What is typically a stronger lift? Hi bar or low bar?

Generally low bar. But some of it depends.

The positioning of the bar will dictate what mechanics must be used to maintain lifting efficiency. The mechanics will dictate what musculature is used. Succinctly, more vertical squat techniques use the quads and glutes as the primary movers while the low bar puts a premium on the posterior chain (particularly the hamstrings) for hip drive. The low bar squat also has a balanced anterior/posterior force at the knee because the focus on the hamstring contraction pulls back on the knee. In contrast, the high bar has more of an anterior stress since the quads are the primary movers and attach at the front of the knee at the patella. There is some quadriceps involvement in the low bar squat, but not nearly as much as the high bar squat. There is a little hamstring involvement in the high bar (see below), but not nearly as much as the low bar squat.

The forward knee placement in the front and high bar squats result in an acute knee angle. An acute knee angle means that the hamstrings — crossing the knee and hip joints — are contracted and slackened. If the hamstrings are fully contracted, then they cannot contract to help extend the hip out of the hole. This means that in vertical squatting styles, there is no hamstring involvement out of the hole, and limited involvement throughout the ascent. However, note the slight torso difference between the front and high bar squats; the inclination in the high bar style provides more of an angle that allows some hamstring tension. The upper two-thirds of the ascent of a high bar squat can have assistance by the hamstrings to hold the back angle in place (the same way that they do with the low bar or a deadlift). This makes sense as the position can re-apply tension on the hamstrings once the knees are no longer acutely flexed. I have felt this when high bar squatting, but you can see it during these hellacious sets that Max Aita did at California Strength.

To clarify the hamstring involvement during the high bar: the descent occurs, the knees flex acutely at the bottom in the hole, the ascent begins with zero hamstring tension due to knee flexion, as the knee angle opens the hamstrings can receive tension, and there is hamstring tension during the ascent. Note that this tension is not a primary mover due to the torso angle.

In contrast, the low bar squat maintains tension throughout the descent, creates a stretch reflex to “bounce” off the tense hamstrings, and then utilizes the hamstrings to extend the hip. During the ascent, the quads obviously extend the knee, but they help create balance around the knee so that the hip drive doesn’t tip the torso forward (the torso obviously needs to maintain it’s angle out of the hole). Since this style of squatting is dependent on the hamstrings, the body’s positioning — particularly the knees — is much more important. If the knees shift forward at the bottom, then hamstring tension will decrease and will result in no bounce whatsoever. Discussing other faults in the low bar squat leaves the scope of this post.

Szu

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Oh, and get this.

IMG_20140218_235900.jpg

Awesome job, making it look easy. Save the shorts for you kids. Watch them put it on and wonder why this "T-shirt" fits so weird.

I'm big into fitness and I'll post indepth on Fit-Gaf soon, but I'm in a RUSH right now... I'll post my progress soon until then check out my instagram: @teamteamjones

BumRush

Man, you guys are impressive.

any suggestions to further my weight loss. I need a physical change in my life. I hate the way I look.

Was about 340(yes I am a fat ass) about 2.5 weeks ago and have dropped down to about 328 with a simple change in diet.

I've started trying to be more active also. Have been trying to complete 10k steps with a fitbit daily. Try to do at least part of that jogging.

I have a set of 25lb weights. Been doing dumbbell squats, deadlifts, clean and press, and rows. No where as near as awesome as you guys though.

Try to do as many crunches as I can. Also do, well attempt to do, yoga at home.

I don't have a gym pass yet and can't really afford one because I am out of work until Sept. I would like to get a personal trainer too that will really show me the correct techniques for all the compound exercises that you guys do.

Is it possible to lose a good amount of weight until Sept when I return to work and can really hit the gym?

Hey man, you've come to the right place. September is a LONG way away to not have a gym pass. Do you have a Planet Fitness or something similar by you (~$10 / month)? I'd highly advise a membership if you can squeeze it...not only for the machines / weights they have versus what you currently have but because just having a membership that you're paying for is usually a good motivator to actually go.

In the interim, I'd suggest doing HIIT instead of just jogging...steady state cardio isn't nearly as effective.

Best of luck!!

Feeling terrible today, so I'm gonna miss a workout day. :-(

Stuck with the flu, reading school work and browsing GAF for today. Hopefully I'll recover by next week to atempt a 150 Kg deadlift.

Teggy

Had to put one of my dogs to sleep on Monday night so I really wanted to get to the gym yesterday to keep my mind occupied. We got 8 inches of snow during the day but the gym didn't close so I snowblowed the driveway in the evening and got going. Roads sucked and the gym was practically empty (there was a bodypump class going on with an instructor and one student). Glad I went and didn't feel too bad pickup up a couple of pints of Ben and Jerry's for me and my wife on the way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom