• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, less gym talk, more nutrition and fitness talk.

One of the benefits of working where I do is my other half has a decade of nutrition studies. Thus, we're working together to get me on a diet. I'm at 185 and 17% BF. Way, way, too high for me. So, my goal is to get back down to 10% at 185 and then hopefully break 200 later on down the road

The macro split will be 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat. All that coming from, mostly, tuna, straight from the package, egg whites, straight from the carton, steel cut oats, almonds, and UMP protein power from Beverly International. Where I live there's not exactly a solid spot to cook shit, so everything has to be either made in the microwave at the break room here at the gym or raw. Get excited.

My training will be PHAT with some dedicated abdominal work added in on leg days. I'm not sure how many strength gains I'll be able to get being on a slight caloric deficit (probably none), but I should be able to at least get back to where I was six months ago.

As for cardio, I'll be gradually adding in the staircase and sprints once I get used to the level of volume I'm doing. Being that my diet is going to be so tight, I'm not so worried about that portion, I just know I need to start adding it in sometime around April to be ready for shirt of weather in Summer.

So excited.
I'm really glad to see you post again. Pretty much everything you post teaches me something new. Though I've been at this quite a few years, I'm still very much a novice.

But this post really sits close with me. I'm basically going through the exact same set of goals right now. Trying to get myself back into the shape I was 6 months ago. I have it pretty well planned out and am excited. Just wish time would move faster.

Just nice to see someone going about the same thing. Keep us posted on how it goes. I definitely wanna see how it all works out for you.

How tall are you, btw?

Imm0rt4l

For fitness nerds

Alan Aragon da Gawd did a short interview on omar isufs channel on alcohol consumption

Also Eric Helms of 3DMJ poses the question "can you train for size?"

Veezy

que?
I'm really glad to see you post again. Pretty much everything you post teaches me something new. Though I've been at this quite a few years, I'm still very much a novice.

But this post really sits close with me. I'm basically going through the exact same set of goals right now. Trying to get myself back into the shape I was 6 months ago. I have it pretty well planned out and am excited. Just wish time would move faster.

Just nice to see someone going about the same thing. Keep us posted on how it goes. I definitely wanna see how it all works out for you.

How tall are you, btw?
Between 5'9 and 5'10.

Glad to see I hit home with somebody, always happy to help, and post, when I can.

One thing I'd HIGHLY recommend getting is Jefit Pro for your android/iPhone. It really is the best app for somebody who has a dedicated workout program. there's even a free version to try out and it syncs with the online site so you can do your programming on something other than a phone.

You going to do something similar to PHAT?

I need some new shoes for running and exercise in general. What would Fitness-GAF suggest? My old pair are worn out and are causing me shin splints when I try to run.

The macro split will be 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat. All that coming from, mostly, tuna, straight from the package, egg whites, straight from the carton, steel cut oats, almonds, and UMP protein power from Beverly International.

Here's whatcha do with them there egg whites

AWESOME EGG MUFFINS

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Pour in egg whites. Add salt/pepper/spices and 1 tbsp of some kinda cheese, maybe reduced fat or fat free in your case (I prefer goat). Bake @375 for ~15 minutes. Let 'em cool and enjoy not eating rubbery scrambled egg whites.

If your muffin tin holds about 1/3 cup and you use 2% cheese it's about 60 cals/muffin with 10g protein, 1g fat and 2g carbs. Hot sauce makes 'em even better and you can put it on your tuna since you'll already have the bottle out :)

rage1973

The macro split will be 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat. All that coming from, mostly, tuna, straight from the package, egg whites, straight from the carton, steel cut oats, almonds, and UMP protein power from Beverly International. Where I live there's not exactly a solid spot to cook shit, so everything has to be either made in the microwave at the break room here at the gym or raw. Get excited.

What do you have against egg yolks?
Most of valuable nutrients in eggs are in the yolk.

Weight today broke under 260. Hoorah~! And that is with a weekly Taco Bell meal too. Was talking to a few of my gym buddies and they say that I should focus on my back so at the end of every session, I will be doing some sort of rowing motion. 4-5 sets of 12+ reps. Nothing heavy and leave enough energy in the tank. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

TIME TO SPREAD THE WINGS.

rokkerkory

meal prep day... salmon this week boys

1497310_10152200882793758_417808567_n.jpg

1891225_10152200882558758_685579485_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love Veezy posts. Can't soak up enough from that man!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Went into the gym to help my wife with a few things and ended up doing 4 sets of 15 at 225 squats supersetted with weighted ab cable pull downs. Fing beat!

sphinx

the piano man
I think I have a sever case of body dysmorphia right now.

the scale has changed a little bit and I've lost a bit of weight but it's mostly static noise

putting that aside, my main issue for the last 1 or 2 months has been:

.- selfies/picture say I haven't changed a bit, I could post before/afters one year apart and everyone would agree I've utetrly and completely wasted my time.

.- Mirrors in the gym and at home tell the exact opposite story. Today as I was doing rope pushdowns I was looking at the mirror and genuinely thought "you can't have looked like that 4 or 5 months ago, that's pretty decent" and yeah, my frame is definitely broader than before, at least according to mirrors, my arms are growing, traps and shoulders too.

but I don't know what to think.

is there a bit of truth everywhere?? should I stop caring about both and just work harder and then continue working?

anyone else here notices these discrepancies between mirrors and selfies?? or am I the only one?

Veezy

que?
What do you have against egg yolks?
Most of valuable nutrients in eggs are in the yolk.

Quite honestly, nothing, besides macros. However, with the shear amount of egg I'll be drinking, I'm not fond of cracking a carton of eggs into a glass and chugging.

Although, and this is debatable, salmonella really only impacts the elderly and children, however I don't have insurance yet, so getting sick is a quick trick to bankruptcy.

Side note, going to a late night Smith's or Krogers will allow you the chance to get a pound of almonds for less than $4. Yes, you have to use the self checkout. Yes, you're ringing it up under the wrong code. No, you don't care, 'cause budget.\\
I love Veezy posts. Can't soak up enough from that man!

Oh, my friend, wait till I tell you about our gym's X-Fit knockoff.

Keep your head up Sphinx, I'm sites lot if us go through similar things from time to time, I know I do

As I was leaving the gym today I noticed they have a suggestion box. I was able to read the top card someone put in the box and saw that someone suggested replacing one of the power racks with a smith machine. That person best be fucking trolling!!!

Chocobro

One thing I'd HIGHLY recommend getting is Jefit Pro for your android/iPhone. It really is the best app for somebody who has a dedicated workout program. there's even a free version to try out and it syncs with the online site so you can do your programming on something other than a phone.

JEFIT is a great app. I recommended it here a few times, I'm glad to see someone else do the same.
I could never get used to Fitocracy.

PBY

Banned
I think I have a sever case of body dysmorphia right now.

the scale has changed a little bit and I've lost a bit of weight but it's mostly static noise

putting that aside, my main issue for the last 1 or 2 months has been:

.- selfies/picture say I haven't changed a bit, I could post before/afters one year apart and everyone would agree I've utetrly and completely wasted my time.

.- Mirrors in the gym and at home tell the exact opposite story. Today as I was doing rope pushdowns I was looking at the mirror and genuinely thought "you can't have looked like that 4 or 5 months ago, that's pretty decent" and yeah, my frame is definitely broader than before, at least according to mirrors, my arms are growing, traps and shoulders too.

but I don't know what to think.

is there a bit of truth everywhere?? should I stop caring about both and just work harder and then continue working?

anyone else here notices these discrepancies between mirrors and selfies?? or am I the only one?
Loooool welcome to lifting

Just block it out and keep going. You can't look at yourself too much, just keep trying to push more weight. Happens to everyone.

Veezy

que?
JEFIT is a great app. I recommended it here a few times, I'm glad to see someone else do the same.
I could never get used to Fitocracy.

It's not that Fitocracy isn't good, it's that it's designed backwards. It's a gameification (sp or TM) app first and a fitness app second.

Jefit is designed to be a fitness app, full stop. If you have a smart phone and you don't use it, I don't know what to tell you.

I bet you don't like "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins either.

EDIT: Side note, Listen to that song right before the drum solo on a PR. You'll it it.
Double EDIT: Can I get Phil Collins face on any Arnold body shot for an avatar. That would make me quite excited.

sphinx

the piano man
Keep your head up Sphinx, I'm sites lot if us go through similar things from time to time, I know I do

As I was leaving the gym today I noticed they have a suggestion box. I was able to read the top card someone put in the box and saw that someone suggested replacing one of the power racks with a smith machine. That person best be fucking trolling!!!

today I am happy, I liked myself. I guess I was in the right mood too. It's the rest of the time that I am constatly what can I be doing wrong and how to fix it.

and what a moron, that guy, the power rack is the single most important equipment in every gym, a gym without one is worthless.

I'm sure everyone looks in the mirror once in a while and asks themselves if they even lift lol

I hope!

what I do notice is that in my gym most of the guys are afraid too get big, They are very nicely cut and defined and with years doing it but I'd bet they don't want to eat or don't know how or what to eat.

there are very few guys in my gym you see and think, "this guy's got it, he knows his shit"

Loooool welcome to lifting

Just block it out and keep going. You can't look at yourself too much, just keep trying to push more weight. Happens to everyone.

thanks for posting this! it's kind of reassuring to know it happens to other guys.

yeah, absolutely, I will continue improving where I can, regardless of pics or mirrors.

Cooter

Alright sphinx. Focus on the positives. The things you think you see are real tangible gains. The things you think you don't see are in your head. Keep lifting and keep pushing because it's healthy and we don't measure progress in here in months. You know this! Snap out of it and own that barbell my man!

Your positive posts have snapped me out of many a lethargic pre gym moods. Keep up the good work. Years not months my friend. Years not months!

Cudder

Maybe they don't want to get big? Everyone has different goals. If they're cut and defined I'm sure they have their diet down.

Servbot24

Banned
i don't wanna get big. people at work started referring to me as the muscle guy (i work with a bunch of out of shape nerds, lol. i'm skinny compared to most of you), which means it's time to cut pretty soon.

Cooter

i don't wanna get big. people at work started referring to me as the muscle guy (i work with a bunch of out of shape nerds, lol. i'm skinny compared to most of you), which means it's time to cut pretty soon.
There's worse things to be referred to as. It shouldn't matter what others think IMO but that's your call.

PBY

Banned
Maybe they don't want to get big? Everyone has different goals. If they're cut and defined I'm sure they have their diet down.
Yup. I ran a strength program for too long and started to get a powerlifter body. Cut that shit out quiiiickk and slimmed down ASAP. I lift for aesthetics. Others lift for pure strength. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

sphinx

the piano man
Alright sphinx. Focus on the positives. The things you think you see are real tangible gains. The things you think you don't see are in your head. Keep lifting and keep pushing because it's healthy and we don't measure progress in here in months. You know this! Snap out of it and own that barbell my man!

Your positive posts have snapped me out of many a lethargic pre gym moods. Keep up the good work. Years not months my friend. Years not months!

yeah, you are right, that's the right mindset. thanks for your words.

yes, that's it.

I tend to forget not everyone has to think like me. Besides, I could learn a thing or two from them regarding nutrition, if I asked them.

the only thing is, they already look so damn well and a bit of a bulk would really make them look like greek gods instead of justin biebers, but I know, I know, different people, different goals.

I really should mind my own business :p

Visceir

I think having the "gainz" actually be visible is a lot about proportions. Having a slim waist makes your upper body seem bigger, having a higher bodyfat % will make it seem smaller. That's why I think it's good to go on a cut once in a while to actually see what you've achieved -- if you're lifting for aesthetics that is.

Probably saying something really controversial now but sphinx does kinda look the same in his pictures. Maybe it would be a good idea to re-evaluate his program/diet rather than just say "you're doing great!"

Cooter

I think having the "gainz" actually be visible is a lot about proportions. Having a slim waist makes your upper body seem bigger, having a higher bodyfat % will make it seem smaller. That's why I think it's good to go on a cut once in a while to actually see what you've achieved -- if you're lifting for aesthetics that is.

Probably saying something really controversial now but sphinx does kinda look the same in his pictures. Maybe it would be a good idea to re-evaluate his program/diet rather than just say "you're doing great!"
I don't think he looks kinda the same. Everyone looks kinda the same if you use that phrase loosely. Minus extreme transformations from obese to thin the progress of in shape men is a slow ongoing difference.

sphinx

the piano man

It's all relative, like I said, I can find pictures far apart where I look the same but I can easily find pics in the same time frame where I definitely know I look much better/bigger, without need of confirmation from fit-gaf.

but I I'll take it as feedback. I'll see what I can change.

I don't think he looks kinda the same. Everyone looks kinda the same if you use that phrase loosely. Minus extreme transformations from obese to thin the progress of in shape men is a slow ongoing difference.

so much is true, but most substantial changes we've seen lately here in the thread are around 9~12 months apart and in that time frame, I have in my personal archives comparison pics that I know for a fact are very solid results, far from "kinda the same",

if anything, I should stick to that and not post pics as often. lol

Servbot24

Banned
There's worse things to be referred to as. It shouldn't matter what others think IMO but that's your call.

it's nice for your efforts to be noticed by people for sure! but i also am going for abs and have some belly fat to cut so it needs to happen soon anyhow.

Cudder

Yup. I ran a strength program for too long and started to get a powerlifter body. Cut that shit out quiiiickk and slimmed down ASAP. I lift for aesthetics. Others lift for pure strength. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

I want to train for aesthetics, but I find training for strength much more fun lol

Those of you on UD2.0, how is it going? I'm starting at the beginning of march and plan on 4 weeks.

It does work great. Definitely. But not as fast as I wanted. I wanted to be ripped by the 5th week lol. I'm feeling a bit like sphinx does in that the pictures don't show that much progress but I actually feel leaner and with more muscle, specially in the calves.

It's only been a little over a month. But it's UD2.0, so I better see those abs by the 8th week :mad:

Actually if I contract my gut a bit I can now see some creases and shapes. Maybe it's my six pack or my liver and stomach :lol. One thing that is definitely noticeable is the fat loss on my chest. I thought I may have gynecomastia, now I'm totally not sure.

sphinx

the piano man
No pics from me until the second week of May. I'm not even halfway done yet. Only Darth has seen my half naked body

summer can't come soon enough, this will be a great year for everybody.

It does work great. Definitely. But not as fast as I wanted. I wanted to be ripped by the 5th week lol. I'm feeling a bit like sphinx does in that the pictures don't show that much progress but I actually feel leaner and with more muscle, specially in the calves.

just to be clear, every now and then I do see improvement on pictures as well, what I mean is that I want every pic I take from me to "surprise" me, which is unreasonable to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom