• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided I'm going to put my emphasis on working my core these next few months. I really don't keep my abs tight during lifts like I should. I feel like overall it's one of my weakest muscle groups. My abs look ok when I'm really cut, but not amazing and they've never been as strong as they should. I can't do a lot of the fancy bar work I feel like I should be able to.

I have no clue what to do to quantify it into a goal. What do you guys suggest?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Decided I'm going to put my emphasis on working my core these next few months. I really don't keep my abs tight during lifts like I should. I feel like overall it's one of my weakest muscle groups. My abs look ok when I'm really cut, but not amazing and they've never been as strong as they should. I can't do a lot of the fancy bar work I feel like I should be able to.

I dunno. But I saw banded spread eagle sit-ups and I think that's going in my ab work. Also just ordered an an roller. That shits effective as hell.

zsswimmer

I feel the same way about my abs as well. Like the post below yours, ab rollers can really make your core burn, but that and planks are the only direct ab work I do so I'm probably lacking in that department. I saw a guy in the gym do leg raises on the bench with a medicine ball in between his ankles, I tried it out today and my abs were immediately sore lol.

Zoe

I decided to do a quick search of its locations. The closest one is in Boston. It's about 192 miles from me. The chicken better be laced cocaine for me to make that kinda of trip.
Eh, I wouldn't say their strips are better than Popeye's.

I want to do so much as the gym. Oh let me do legs, so that will be quads and hammys. But I also want to do some glutes. Can't forget about calves. And my core is lacking so I better do that too...

I've been meaning to tell you. Chipotle is garbage.

yeah, that place is overrated

W1YgxyV.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's worse convenience foods for sure though. Getting triple meat and paying for single is nice.

There's always worse. But being a better "worse" option is still bad.

Garbage taste? Wwwwhhhaaaaaaaat? I think that brownie quest landed on your head.

Dude. It's the subway of burritos. And I'd say subway is a thousand times better as a place to eat. Chipotle is that bad. (Subway is also terrible)

yeah, that place is overrated

Waaaaay overrated.

SeanR1221

There's always worse. But being a better "worse" option is still bad.

Dude. It's the subway of burritos. And I'd say subway is a thousand times better as a place to eat. Chipotle is that bad. (Subway is also terrible)

Waaaaay overrated.

Nah subway is bottom tier. Down there with Burger King. Wendy's is still king for me (triple baconator) but chipotle is a close second. Taco Bell after that. McDonald's gets an honorable mention for the mcnuggets.

I dunno. But I saw banded spread eagle sit-ups and I think that's going in my ab work. Also just ordered an an roller. That shits effective as hell.
Yeah, my gym has some ab rollers. I'll try them out tonight. I really feel like the biggest change I can make is just being better about tightening my core when I lift. I really don't know how I've gotten so far not doing it.

I feel the same way about my abs as well. Like the post below yours, ab rollers can really make your core burn, but that and planks are the only direct ab work I do so I'm probably lacking in that department. I saw a guy in the gym do leg raises on the bench with a medicine ball in between his ankles, I tried it out today and my abs were immediately sore lol.
Love these! I love weighted ab work in general. It just works out like a more traditional way of lifting and I can actually make goals.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood Chipotle hate. Yeah, sure, it's not authentic or whatever, but they use decent ingredients and offer a bunch of food for a reasonable price. You'd have to have an elitist pallet to think the food tastes bad or something. It's fast food with ingredients that are higher quality than most fast food joints.

We had a local mom and pop place that was a few dollars more than chipotle but much higher quality. Needless to say they didn't make it past a year, which sucks because they were a go-to spot during bulking season.

In other news, I just got a box of Oreo quest bars, that's some next level delicious.

theytookourjobz

Never understood Chipotle hate. Yeah, sure, it's not authentic or whatever, but they use decent ingredients and offer a bunch of food for a reasonable price. You'd have to have an elitist pallet to think the food tastes bad or something. It's fast food with ingredients that are higher quality than most fast food joints.

Yeah, I like Chipotle. Don't eat out much but from what I understand they don't add a bunch of extra bullshit, which is big for me.

How do you think you would fare on some of the nfl combine tests?
40 yard dash
Vertical jump
Benching 225 for max reps

I ran a 4.76 40 in high school, I can still touch rim at 5'7", but I could probably manage 3-4 reps at bench if I'm lucky lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
How do you think you would fare on some of the nfl combine tests?
40 yard dash
Vertical jump
Benching 225 for max reps

I ran a 4.76 40 in high school, I can still touch rim at 5'7", but I could probably manage 3-4 reps at bench if I'm lucky lol
I ran a 4.4 in HS. I can do 23 reps right now and I have no clue about vertical. Probably between 30-35.

Learn to do heavily weighted swiss ball crunches right and those blocks will explode through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBddP5oW8Y

The form shown at the 20 second mark is good. That crunch shows full flexion and extension without dropping the hips. Use dumbbells and put them on your chest (behind the head hits harder but as you start getting heavier trying to hold the DB up you'll eventually crank the shit out of your neck).

The keys are to get some spinal flexion and crunch from both ends - curling the upper core up while kinda driving your butt into the ball to bring the lower abs up. It's hard to describe but you'll see what I mean. It takes a few sets to get the balance right but once you do you'll be able to increase the weight pretty quick. FWIW I use anywhere from 65-85lbs depending on the rep range. You, being a monster, will probably be able to use more once you get the form down.

Kneeling cable crunches are supposed to be good too but like many weighted ab exercises you usually end up targeting the hip flexors more than the abs. Again, the key is to get some spinal flexion at the start of the movement.

Rollers are awesome for strength and stability but I don't think they're that good for pure size which I think is what you're after? Most weighted ab stuff ends up degenrating into a hip flexor exercise so watch for that.

Start working towards Toes to Bar(leg raises toes to feet hitting bar), start with basic leg raises where you raise to 90 degrees, try to keep strict form w/ these, then one you get better with those you can move towards toes to bar, don't have to use super strict form, eventually you'll want to get it so that your form is strict, no swinging

sphinx

the piano man
Wasn't El Pollo Loco available somewhere in america? Texas or california?

That's the best comvenience food anyone can get anywhere cheap delicious and exactly what you need. Chicken breast, portion of rice and portion of Pasta but with the taste of fast food. Feels like cheating when you actually aren't.

You americans have your quest bars, we mexicans have el pollo loco. A fair deal.

Cooter

Wasn't El Pollo Loco available somewhere in america? Texas or california?

That's the best comvenience food anyone can get anywhere cheap delicious and exactly what you need. Chicken breast, portion of rice and portion of Pasta but with the taste of fast food. Feels like cheating when you actually aren't.

You american have your quest bars, we mdxicans have el pollo loco. A fair deal.
It's in NV and CA. I know that for a fact.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
12 buffalo wings and a banana. Probably the healthiest post workout I've had in months. Lol

Edit. I also know for a fact now my DL form is dialed in. No lower back pumps 2 days later and perfectly uniform hamstring, lat, traps DOMs.

Cooter

wow, beastly. so i take it you played ball in HS? were you wes welker before wes welker (aka wayne chrebet aka don beebe)?
I wasn't repping that back then though. Yeah, I played. Didn't take it very seriously as far as proceeding on to college. Had Some small D1 offers but I had no interest in continuing. Same applied with baseball. I was done playing competitive sports by my senior year and just wanted to move on with my life.

Go_Ly_Dow

Add in sumo deads as a supplient lift and snatch grip shrugs and that looks like. My DL day. Good shit. (Minus the curls)

will do when i reach my weight goal to step it up!

biceps had a nice pump at the end of all that so thought i would kill them off. love my vanity muscles.

back is starting to grow nicely now, visible muscle formation in all areas. will post my first progress pic come summer.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
will do when i reach my weight goal to step it up!

biceps had a nice pump at the end of all that so thought i would kill them off. love my vanity muscles.

back is starting to grow nicely now, visible muscle formation in all areas. will post my first progress pic come summer.

Nothing wrong with curls. I do them on bench day.

Cooter

Add in sumo deads as a supplient lift and snatch grip shrugs and that looks like. My DL day. Good shit. (Minus the curls)
Will you jump on the BB curl train already Brolic! For fucks sake!! We're talking about biceps here. Biceps!

EDIT: Just saw your reply. Yes!

I woke up yesterday with some mild pain in my lower back after lifting on Saturday. If I twist my body in a certain way I can feel some shocking pain.

Ugh, have you guys had this before? Remedies? Saturday was chest and shoulders for me.. no idea how this happened. I'm so sad now

Fuck

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I woke up yesterday with some mild pain in my lower back after lifting on Saturday. If I twist my body in a certain way I can feel some shocking pain.

Ugh, have you guys had this before? Remedies? Saturday was chest and shoulders for me.. no idea how this happened. I'm so sad now

Fuck

Shocking pain sounds like a nerve. Proceed with caution.

I wasn't repping that back then though. Yeah, I played. Didn't take it very seriously as far as proceeding on to college. Had Some small D1 offers but I had no interest in continuing. Same applied with baseball. I was done playing competitive sports by my senior year and just wanted to move on with my life.

i understand the feeling. i had a friend i met in college that had offers from plenty of schools to play rb, but he turned them all down and ended up going to a school without a football team. he was just over it. it was funny meeting him, because our high schools are from different parts of cali, about a few hours away, but we ended up playing against each other our senior year in the regular season (this was way before CA adopted a state title game). he was a beast too. 5'6'' 190 and built like a fucking wrecking ball. he was darren sproles body type, but was a bruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom