• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

I semi-officially started my cut today. Won't go on a strict diet but will curb my carbs and add some additional cardio work/days to my program. Gonna see how that works before taking more drastic measures.

just to be clear, every now and then I do see improvement on pictures as well, what I mean is that I want every pic I take from me to "surprise" me, which is unreasonable to say the least.

Yeah, but it's not unreasonable that if you are working hard you want to see amazing results as well.

Veezy

que?
Not happy with this but here it is Veezy

nM10riX.png
I like.
summer can't come soon enough, this will be a great year for everybody.

just to be clear, every now and then I do see improvement on pictures as well, what I mean is that I want every pic I take from me to "surprise" me, which is unreasonable to say the least.

Sphinx, the human body adapts over a lot of time. The more effort you put in, the more effort you need to make a change, ya dig?

Take it from somebody who has real deal brain issues, you cannot focus on being surprised. You have to focus on the journey. Take a picture every week for two months and stay on point with your diet and training. Take pics from the same angle and use that as your template. You'll see changes, if you're staying true to your nutrition and training.

Which, from your posts, it sounds like you are.

Also, something something eat meat and squat, something something.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, but it's not unreasonable that if you are working hard you want to see amazing results as well.

are we still in the topic of pictures? or you mean in general?

there is one thing we have to keep in mind: most progress pics and before/afters we get to see in this thread (from all of us, I include myself) or facebook or other fitness forums are not very acurate, either way. they don't reflect reality exactly as it is. They are very specific moments, with very specific lightings, in a certain pose that made them look like that.

When you can stand still, not flex anything and look muscled, just like that, without thinking about it THEN it has turned into your nature.

hopefully taking selfies to see progress has gotten old by then lol.

I like.

Sphinx, the human body adapts over a lot of time. The more effort you put in, the more effort you need to make a change, ya dig?

Take it from somebody who has real deal brain issues, you cannot focus on being surprised. You have to focus on the journey. Take a picture every week for two months and stay on point with your diet and training. Take pics from the same angle and use that as your template. You'll see changes, if you're staying true to your nutrition and training.

Which, from your posts, it sounds like you are.

Also, something something eat meat and squat, something something.

I may have thigs to fix in my program as a whole but I do eat a ton of meat and I LOVE squatting, the king of exercises. by far my best compound.

the way you suggest approaching the whole progress pics thing is the right way to do it, not comparing random pics because time has passed. That's what I meant with my response to God Dayumm

are we still in the topic of pictures? or you mean in general?

there is one thing we have to keep in mind: most progress pics and before/afters we get to see in this thread (from all of us, I include myself) or facebook or other fitness forums are not very acurate, either way. they don't reflect reality exactly as it is. They are very specific moments, with very specific lightnings, in a certain pose that made them look like that.

When you can stand still, not flex anything and look muscled, just like that, without thinking about it THEN it has turned into your nature.

hopefully taking selfies to see progress has gotten old by then lol.

True. This is why I inflate my gut on my pics, to expect the worst and never by satisfied with my image :lol

Veezy

que?
the way you suggest approaching the whole progress pics thing is the right way to do it, not comparing random pics because time has passed. That's what I meant with my response to God Dayumm

There's about a million and ten different ways to do diet but we all know the three macros. When I do diet for people, I give them a portion baseline and tell them to take pics once a week then see me in a month.

I use those series of pics to tweek. Multiple pictures over time. Then I can increase carbs or protein or whatever.

You wanna be surprised? Take a pic now, stay on point, then compare it in May. You wanna get real and use the pics for data? Take it weekly and tweek.

Or twerk. Whatever.

moocow

Sphinx, I think you are comparing your photos to your immediate post gym pump. You probably look so good post pump that its making you think you look small without it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sphinx, I think you are comparing your photos to your immediate post gym pump. You probably look so good post pump that its making you think you look small without it.
Is it that noticeable? I've never taken a post gym progress shot. Now I'm curious...

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Had my first, and now second, Quest bar today!

Coconut and cashew, which is decent. Also tasted the white chocolate and raspberry.

I was wanting some dessert after a burger today, so I chopped up a cookie dough quest bar into a cup of greek yogurt. It was fan-fucking-tastic.

Servbot24

Banned
It does work great. Definitely. But not as fast as I wanted. I wanted to be ripped by the 5th week lol. I'm feeling a bit like sphinx does in that the pictures don't show that much progress but I actually feel leaner and with more muscle, specially in the calves.

It's only been a little over a month. But it's UD2.0, so I better see those abs by the 8th week :mad:

Actually if I contract my gut a bit I can now see some creases and shapes. Maybe it's my six pack or my liver and stomach :lol. One thing that is definitely noticeable is the fat loss on my chest. I thought I may have gynecomastia, now I'm totally not sure.

i am very glad to hear that last part, haha. i don't have man boobs by any means but i feel like my chest is the fattiest part of me. anyways i start next week so i'll post a pic from january, a current pic and then track my progress from there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you guys getting Quest Bars? GNC still? I can't find any working coupons. I haven't had any Quest Bars in months -_-

I've had some success finding coupons by Googling. Knocks the price to a little over a buck each so $15ish for a box, but I have to buy them one box at a time.

my local gnc does 25% off a box (or buy 3 get 1 free). i stocked up on a few boxes last month when gnc.com listed the boxes at 25% off, plus i think a coupon to save like an additional 40% off the order. 5 boxes for about 17 bucks a pop was fine with me.

i'm surprised, the quest bars on gnc.com are almost always listed at the 25% off price of like 26 bucks

Husker86

No man. Don't. Just don't. The potential for injury is too great and besides, this will limit the lift greatly. A+ for creativity though!

Damn :(

I was actually optimistic since I usually do 150 pounds and 135 was easy.

Guess I'll just sit my ass down then!

ILoveBish

At the gym, looking in mirror inbetween sets and seeing everything on a pump, its insane how everything is cut up, defined lines for all muscles, even my face looks different. Come home to take a shower, feel like a 400lb fatass. It happens.

Also i tried out the cookies and cream quest bar after all the gaf hype. Sorry guys, CCCD is still top tier. And as sanford said, pick a top tier. I quit quest bars a long time ago tho, they're too addicting and cost too much sadly.

At the gym, looking in mirror inbetween sets and seeing everything on a pump, its insane how everything is cut up, defined lines for all muscles, even my face looks different. Come home to take a shower, feel like a 400lb fatass. It happens.

I think showers and cardio bloat me up. Can anyone explain why? Maybe it's the heat that makes me expand :lol

despire

Started my cut today. Was supposed to start next week but GF wanted to start her mini-cut now so I guess it makes sense to start at the same time so workouts go hand in hand. Otherwise I would go 3x week and she would go 2x week for this week.

Now off to do the suggested depletion workout to speed things up since it's the first day.

ILoveBish

Almost done with 1's week. 230x2 on bench press tonight. Smashed it. I think watching the CT Fletcher hulk video gave me inspiration lol. Its the most ive ever benched and it was pretty good for both reps. The tricep work ive been doing for months has been paying off.

I think showers and cardio bloat me up. Can anyone explain why? Maybe it's the heat that makes me expand :lol

I dont do cardio anymore. And by the time i get home and about to shower, im bloated as heck. It sucks ass. Oh well.

sphinx

the piano man

I have pics in all circumstances and I try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

I think I really gave the wrong impression with the sentence:

"selfies/picture say I haven't changed a bit, I could post before/afters one year apart and everyone would agree I've utterly and completely wasted my time."

that was as full of hyperbole as it gets.

I mean, i have been hitting the gym just for 1 year and 5 months. My gym contract started October 2012.

I haven't stopped breaking PR's on squat and OHP, and getting all around stronger, I have better numbers on assistance moves. I do more dips, more pull-ups than before, unassisted, of course, and that while gaining weight and I have shown before/afters that received positive feedback here in this and past OT's so I don't feel the need to post them again.

so yeah, my bad, I should have worded it differently.

Petrie

Banned
I think I'm in love with my new gym by my house. The Gold's is walking distance, the weight room is hidden away past everything and not even in the same room as machines, there's a platform and abundance of bumper plates, 2 power racks and 2 squat racks, an indoor track, and a whole plethora of other stuff I'll likely never touch but it's nice to have in walking distance.

This is going to rule.

I dont do cardio anymore. And by the time i get home and about to shower, im bloated as heck. It sucks ass. Oh well.

Uhh I think you guys are either nuts or superbeings from the future who can absorb moisture from the surrounding atmosphere. Cardio and hot showers make you sweat, sweat removes water from your body, less water in your body should make you look leaner.

I like post poop pics.

Post poop weigh-ins are the best weigh-ins.

Tried RDLs for the first time this morning, I think they're going to be killer glute busters after a little more practice getting the form down.

Finally was able to do my 2nd workout, after the first one two weeks ago. Weather and illness kept me out of the gym.

I feel like I did well. I upped the weight slightly on all of my lifts and was still successful, and I managed to do 3 pull-ups after only being able to do 2 the last time.

Things are looking up!

Posted this before but figured I'd try again and see if I can get a few more responses.

My shoulders suck. I couldn't even do 60lb on OHP the other day. I also have some kind of long-running (like years) problem in my right shoulder.

I want to do band pullaparts. What kind/tension of band should I get?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Benched 200lbs for three sets. I am very happy with my chest.

Bought 100% whey Protein powder from Target. Taking it before bed. Good idea?

Posted this before but figured I'd try again and see if I can get a few more responses.

My shoulders suck. I couldn't even do 60lb on OHP the other day. I also have some kind of long-running (like years) problem in my right shoulder.

I want to do band pullaparts. What kind/tension of band should I get?

The first one you can get your hands on, if it's too easy just put your hands closer or double up on it. Prolly should have your shoulder looked at by an orthopedist too

Benched 200lbs for three sets. I am very happy with my chest.

Bought 100% whey Protein powder from Target. Taking it before bed. Good idea?

GJ. Sets of what?

And no, it'd just be a waste. Whey is digested very quickly - casein is better before bed. Actually I personally think casein is almost always the better choice; the exceptions are either first thing in the morning right before training, intra-workout, or within an hour of hitting the gym if you haven't eaten a meal in a couple hours.

So yeah, have some cottage cheese before bed instead and save the whey for pre-workout or making protein pancakes or something.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Bench press, 3 sets of 8 reps each.

Need to research casein then.

Does anyone here monitor their blood pressure regularly? I am 25, 180 lbs, 5'9", and around 18% body fat. My blood pressure has been hover just above or below 120/80 for a few years, but in the past few months I've seen it occasionally hit 140/65 or within a small deviation of that. Starting to get a bit concerned. I am considering trying to make some changes to my diet to shift this somewhat lower; increase veggies, decrease sodium, etc.

Any thoughts or personal experiences?

Cooter

imma do . my best.

new haircut, new body, new job, new attitude.

time do to thisssssssssssssssss
Your best is all you can do. Go get it.

So a fried chicken joint opened up in Reno called Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers. Tried it out last night and I will be going back. Good stuff. Anyone ever try it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Your best is all you can do. Go get it.

So a fried chicken joint opened up in Reno called Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers. Tried it out last night and I will be going back. Good stuff. Anyone ever try it?

We got one of those out here, just popped up, right next to a manster-sized church. Does it have plain-ass chicken breasts? (Currently ketoing)

shitty workout this morning =/ i dont think i ate enough last night or got enough rest (surprise, surprise). gonna recharge and hit that shit hard on wednesday.

Cooter

We got one of those out here, just popped up, right next to a manster-sized church. Does it have plain-ass chicken breasts? (Currently ketoing)
Deep fried. Doubt they have plain but I didn't look or ask. Nice big chunks of breast though.

Veezy

que?
shitty workout this morning =/ i dont think i ate enough last night or got enough rest (surprise, surprise). gonna recharge and hit that shit hard on wednesday.

If it makes you feel better, my workout this morning was going into a ditch to fetch a tire out of it that flew off my car.

So, it could be worse.

If it makes you feel better, my workout this morning was going into a ditch to fetch a tire out of it that flew off my car.

So, it could be worse.

Sorry to hear that. Though it doesn't make me feel much better knowing that a fellow fit-gaf bro had a rough morning, sending positive vibes your way.

The first one you can get your hands on, if it's too easy just put your hands closer or double up on it. Prolly should have your shoulder looked at by an orthopedist too

Yes, I definitely intend to get an MRI now that I have decent insurance. I also have pretty bad tendinitis (golfer's elbow) in both forearms now. I'm falling apart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom