• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
i understand the feeling. i had a friend i met in college that had offers from plenty of schools to play rb, but he turned them all down and ended up going to a school without a football team. he was just over it. it was funny meeting him, because our high schools are from different parts of cali, about a few hours away, but we ended up playing against each other our senior year in the regular season (this was way before CA adopted a state title game). he was a beast too. 5'6'' 190 and built like a fucking wrecking ball. he was darren sproles body type, but was a bruiser.

Pretty much. Where in CA? Northern or down south? I went to Antioch. A suburb outside of SF.

Pretty much. Where in CA? Northern or down south? I went to Antioch. A suburb outside of SF.

Down south. My friend was in La Puente (about 30 minutes east of LA in the valley) and my school was in Vista (about 35 minutes north of San Diego). I don't think it was common at the time (early 2000s) for different CIF section schools to play each other often.

So did your school ever play against De La Salle? Our coach was always gushing about that school because they were at the peak of their massive win streak in '03. I think de la salle ran the veer option, something our coach installed as our base offense partly because of their success with it. Man it sucked being a slot receiver in that offense, and our qb was totally a run first guy. I wish the spread was the trendy offense when I played lol

Cooter

Down south. My friend was in La Puente (about 30 minutes east of LA in the valley) and my school was in Vista (about 35 minutes north of San Diego). I don't think it was common at the time (early 2000s) for different CIF section schools to play each other often.

So did your school ever play against De La Salle? Our coach was always gushing about that school because they were at the peak of their massive win streak in '03. I think de la salle ran the veer option, something our coach installed as our base offense partly because of their success with it. Man it sucked being a slot receiver in that offense, and our qb was totally a run first guy. I wish the spread was the trendy offense when I played lol
We were in their division. Played them every year. I believe we were win 95 and 107 during their streak. Yeah, they were good!

Me too man. My QB had the weakest arm. He through dump offs to our RB more than any WR was targeted. It was beyond frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You guys talking about barbell curls: how do you do them? Straight bar? Standing? Preacher bench? All of the above?

Never really done curls, so wondering where to get started.

Cooter

You guys talking about barbell curls: how do you do them? Straight bar? Standing? Preacher bench? All of the above?

Never really done curls, so wondering where to get started.
Standing with elbows at my side and ring fingers where the rough part starts. It's BB so it's a straight bar.

sphinx

the piano man
I recently changed from the preacher curl machine to a normal, smaller, metal bar. Best thing I could have done. It just feels right, hard to explain.

as a rule of thumb, everything feels better with bars so if there is a machine variation of a move that is intended to be done with a bar, it's best to avoid it and go with the bar. In my opinion, of course.

that being said, I hate EZ bars, hate them.

Visceir

barbell/ez bar curls can hurt my forearm a little. Nothing unbearable, but still bothersome. Still do the occasionally.

I like cable curls, one arm at a time.

Cudder

3x5 @ 265 on bench complete! on to 270 next week!

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Cooter

Gonna seem like a stupid question, so bare with me. You had the chains resting on the ground the whole time and split in the middle so both ends leave one link on the floor at the highest bar placement right? I ask this because someone bought chains for my gym who clearly has no idea now chains are supposed to work and he has the clamp on one end of the chain which is incorrect.

Also 10lb of chain shouldn't have been hard for you at all. Band tension is way over that.

Not attacking you so if this is coming off aggressive I'm not intending to. Just with you saying 10lbs of chain made the movement very hard I get the image of the chain free swinging. I'm probably mistaken though.

Hope this clears things up. The chain at the top of the movement is barely touching the ground if at all. As you lower the weight it decreases and as you press up it gets heavier. It just feels different and obviously harder. You're right. Much of it also has to do with me not eating my usual Sunday amount of food and coming in generally weaker. The combination of the 2 was tough. There has been days where it wasn't necessarily harder but different but today it was surely harder. Help at all?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hope this clears things up. The chain at the top of the movement is barely touching the ground if at all. As you lower the weight it decreases and as you press up it gets heavier. It just feels different and obviously harder. You're right. Much of it also has to do with me not eating my usual Sunday amount of food and coming in generally weaker. The combination of the 2 was tough. There has been days where it wasn't necessarily harder but different but today it was surely harder. Help at all?

Yeah makes sense. You just want the chain touching preferable both ends (and hooked at the middle to the bar with a feeder chain or EZ loader) so it doesn't become a wobble/stabilizer muscle movement. Typically th chains weigh 45-65lbs each or more which was another thing that didn't sound right. But you having not eaten plus remembering you're cutting also makes sense.

Cooter

Yeah makes sense. You just want the chain touching preferable both ends (and hooked at the middle to the bar with a feeder chain or EZ loader) so it doesn't become a wobble/stabilizer muscle movement. Typically th chains weigh 45-65lbs each or more which was another thing that didn't sound right. But you having not eaten plus remembering you're cutting also makes sense.

Yeah, it was touching both ends. I can't imagine it not touching. Awkward. Unfortunately 20lbs is all I have at the moment. I use it just to switch things up a bit and put a little more pressure on the topside of the lift.

mt1200

Yesterday I wanted to try something different, so I decided to stay away from the treadmill and went running/jogging outside, it's tougher but funnier anyways.

56Kg now, i'm getting closer to my 54-55Kg goal. I'm bored of doing cardio, besides I think it might be eating my muscles, so I've reduced it a bit avoiding cardio after lifting on group-class days.

Have you guys tried some DDP yoga?, I do think it works to help you improve your flexibility, but I doubt it will help you to cut some fat without that expensive "juicing" diet that seems mandatory.

Chocolate cravings are getting out of control, I'm eating my sugar-free valor dark chocolate and milka chocolate bars faster than I thought, calorie counting gets harder at some points, gotta get a small kitchen weight scale.

I strongly recommend mixing sugar-free jello with some berries, it fills your stomach, contains low calories, fiber, and tastes so good.

picFup04U.jpg

ILoveBish

Just finished my 5th 5/3/1 session, pure gains the entire time. My lifts as of now:

OHP - 175lbsx2
Bench - 230lbsx2
Squat - 355lbsx1
Deadlift - 405lbsx1

This friday marks the 2 years that i started working out. I was 337lbs and had 0 muscles, i had to fight the women at the gym for the 5lb dumbbells. Now i weigh 268 and have 30+lbs of muscle on me, my entire body feels like a rock, im 5'11. Going to go stricter keto and count calories again for the next 3 months or so to lose the last of the belly fat and go from there. Hyped to see what im going to end up looking like without this last fat on me.

Cooter

So far so good training my wife. She's got a food log and has thanked me numerous times for my support and help. It's only one week but I've never seen her this motivated.

The fat is melting away off me. 192.5 yesterday. I expect to hit 192 or 191.5 this afternoon before the gym when I do my daily weigh in. Belt is freaking loose too!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
So far so good training my wife. She's got a food log and has thanked me numerous times for my support and help. It's only one week but I've never seen her this motivated.

The fat is melting away off me. 192.5 yesterday. I expect to hit 192 or 191.5 this afternoon before the gym when I do my daily weigh in. Belt is freaking loose too!

Me and my wife go together all the time. She sticks to squats, leg exercises and running while I lift. It's great.

J. Bravo

Just finished my 5th 5/3/1 session, pure gains the entire time. My lifts as of now:

OHP - 175lbsx2
Bench - 230lbsx2
Squat - 355lbsx1
Deadlift - 405lbsx1

This friday marks the 2 years that i started working out. I was 337lbs and had 0 muscles, i had to fight the women at the gym for the 5lb dumbbells. Now i weigh 268 and have 30+lbs of muscle on me, my entire body feels like a rock, im 5'11. Going to go stricter keto and count calories again for the next 3 months or so to lose the last of the belly fat and go from there. Hyped to see what im going to end up looking like without this last fat on me.
first of all, very nice job on the transformation! consider me impressed. second, our lifts are eerily similar. my ohp has been shitty lately but my max is 170x1, bench is what i'm doing today and also going for 230 for 1, going for 355x1 on squat, and my DL is the only place with considerable distance- I pulled 415x4 a few days ago. but we are very close in our strength progress.

Cooter

Me and my wife go together all the time. She sticks to squats, leg exercises and running while I lift. It's great.
I've got her doing a modified routine of what I do basically. Lots of compounds and some vanity arms and delt stuff. Like any program you stick to over months it has worked for her in the past. Her diet is the most important part and I've told her that straight out.

Petrie

Banned
I've got her doing a modified routine of what I do basically. Lots of compounds and some vanity arms and delt stuff. Like any program you stick to over months it has worked for her in the past. Her diet is the most important part and I've told her that straight out.

That's the hardest thing to get women to understand. There's so much focus on exercise as the solution that they don't realize you can't work away a shitty diet.

My girl is just starting to go with me again. We went 2 days ago and today she doesn't want to go do squats again because her quads hurt. My insistence that squatting will help is falling upon deaf ears.

Cooter

That's the hardest thing to get women to understand. There's so much focus on exercise as the solution that they don't realize you can't work away a shitty diet.

My girl is just starting to go with me again. We went 2 days ago and today she doesn't want to go do squats again because her quads hurt. My insistence that squatting will help is falling upon deaf ears.
To a certain extent it hurts. You have obviously transformed your body and are knowledgeable and passionate about the subject. For her to essentially dismiss your advice stings.

blackflag

Yesterday I wanted to try something different, so I decided to stay away from the treadmill and went running/jogging outside, it's tougher but funnier anyways.

56Kg now, i'm getting closer to my 54-55Kg goal. I'm bored of doing cardio, besides I think it might be eating my muscles, so I've reduced it a bit avoiding cardio after lifting on group-class days.

Have you guys tried some DDP yoga?, I do think it works to help you improve your flexibility, but I doubt it will help you to cut some fat without that expensive "juicing" diet that seems mandatory.

Chocolate cravings are getting out of control, I'm eating my sugar-free valor dark chocolate and milka chocolate bars faster than I thought, calorie counting gets harder at some points, gotta get a small kitchen weight scale.

I strongly recommend mixing sugar-free jello with some berries, it fills your stomach, contains low calories, fiber, and tastes so good.

picFup04U.jpg

I started DDP yoga just for the flexibility. My girl got it for me for Valentines day. I like it so far. I really need the flexibility.

As far as exercise, it ain't gonna do much for me. I've done several of the videos and my heart rate never went over 120.

abuC

I have a short neck and high shoulders, if my neck were normal length I'd be 6'3" easy. I will never be a Trapasaurus Rex and it pains me deeply.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
We don't really stick to a diet anymore. Basically, no junk food. We snack on apples and nuts, dinner is usually a main protein plus salad with balsamic vinaigrette. twice a week we'll have rice and beans.

No pizza, no fries, desserts are rare and when we have them we split a serving and it has to be fresh (no twinkies), little to no pasta.

We do have bread for lunch. Can get rid of that. I weigh 165 lbs at 5'9", she's at 135 lbs or so but she measures like 5'5" or something like that.

sphinx

the piano man
some months ago I started to pay more attention to the ROM on my pull-ups and now I go from starting position just hanging there, then completely up and then back and again hang there for a split second on start position.

That makes pull-ups so much more difficult, is not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom