• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

first of all, very nice job on the transformation! consider me impressed. second, our lifts are eerily similar. my ohp has been shitty lately but my max is 170x1, bench is what i'm doing today and also going for 230 for 1, going for 355x1 on squat, and my DL is the only place with considerable distance- I pulled 415x4 a few days ago. but we are very close in our strength progress.

How long have you been lifting? Definitely very close.

Go_Ly_Dow

fuck, my bulk diet of pizzas, mcdonalds, cookies, bread, meat and whole milk with protein is really starting to catch up.

been waking up with a shitty stomach which doesn't really sort itself fully til the afternoon.

need to get my ass in gear and start cooking more wholesome food again.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I was at the gym yesterday and saw this one guy, who I usually only see at the incline bench putting up at least 315, in the squat rack with what I'm pretty sure was about 900lbs on his back. Pretty sure I counted nine 45s and some other plate on each side. He did a few 1 rep sets. Wut

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was at the gym yesterday and saw this one guy, who I usually only see at the incline bench putting up at least 315, in the squat rack with what I'm pretty sure was about 900lbs on his back. Pretty sure I counted nine 45s and some other plate on each side. He did a few 1 rep sets. Wut

Was he wearing a squat suit. Because I very much doubt he was doing 900. Especially for multiple singles.

Much more likely he was squatting 600+ though.

Dem calves.

Genetics they have always been like that. Short fat white dudes and black dudes tend to have awesome calves from my experience.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Was he wearing a squat suit. Because I very much doubt he was doing 900. Especially for multiple singles.

Much more likely he was squatting 600+ though.

Genetics they have always been like that. Short fat white dudes and black dudes tend to have awesome calves from my experience.

He was not wearing a belt or anything like that. And those plates were 45s, and there were 9 on each side.....maaaybe 8, but I'm pretty sure 9. The guy is ridiculously big though. He only successfully did two sets, he went a third of the way down on the last one. The bar was bent like fucking crazy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
He was not wearing a belt or anything like that. And those plates were 45s, and there were 9 on each side.....maaaybe 8, but I'm pretty sure 9. The guy is ridiculously big though. He only successfully did two sets, he went a third of the way down on the last one. The bar was bent like fucking crazy.

No offense man. But that's highly suspect. I really doubt there was a dude in your gym squatting 800+ without even a belt. You had to have counted those plates wrong. The highest raw squat I believe is 927.

Edit: just saw the record was beat at RUM it's over 1k now. But that's with belt and knee wraps.

Wut

I thought black man calf syndrome = tiny calves that somehow produce tons of force. Huge verticals and lots of weight being move but very little size. Seems like that's all i ever see.
Of course getting fat trumps all shitty calf genes

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wut

I thought black man calf syndrome = tiny calves that somehow produce tons of force. Huge verticals and lots of weight being move but very little size. Seems like that's all i ever see.
Of course getting fat trumps all shitty calf genes

I've seen fat dudes with tiny calves. It's the short wide stocky dudes like me with swole calves. Even when I was thin I had awesome calves.

moocow

I'm jealous. Of the 60 + pounds I've gained since being an underweight cross country runner, I would be surprised if even 1 went to my calves.

I've seen fat dudes with tiny calves. It's the short wide stocky dudes like me with swole calves. Even when I was thin I had awesome calves.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm jealous. Of the 60 + pounds I've gained since being an underweight cross country runner, I would be surprised if even 1 went to my calves.

When I was 185-190 and could run a mile in 5:15-5:18 my calves looked disproportionate as hell.

I'm meant to have some meat on me. ;)

moocow

When I was 185-190 and could run a mile in 5:15-5:18 my calves looked disproportionate as hell.

I'm meant to have some meat on me. ;)

This post has given me hope. I never broke 5. And was scared I wouldn't be able to at this heavier weight. That's one of my goals if I ever start running again.

And I think we are all meant to have some meat on our bones. Even if we don't know it yet.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This cut is having an influence on my strength.

Had trouble with 455x3 for deads tonight. Probably had another one but I was beat.

Did weigh 191.5 today. Just about done.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This post has given me hope. I never broke 5. And was scared I wouldn't be able to at this heavier weight. That's one of my goals if I ever start running again.

And I think we are all meant to have some meat on our bones. Even if we don't know it yet.

Should be noted. I'm naturally heavy. What I look like at 185-190 others look like at 165 or less when I was hitting 5:15 I was incredibly lean looking.

I think I finally got my bench setup down. Having the proper position and keeping tight during the initial lift has done wonders for me. Finally had a great bench day for the first time in a couple weeks.

SeanR1221

Saw a guy deadlifting and front squatting in the smith. I had to intervene. He told me it was his first week. He said he'd finish out this week on the smith and move to the barbells. The fuck?

At least one pretty big guy came up to me and commented on my squatting and deadlifting. We exchanged numbers because he said he wants to get back to it but rather have a lifting partner.

Mr. Tough Pants, how do you cook so much broccoli? Do you just cook a bit every night or make a huge pot once or twice a week? I've been eating 3-4 cups a day of cooked broccoli but am finding it inefficient to cook it every other day. I feel like I need a gigantic kettle or some shit to steam it in... right now I'm just using the biggest wok I have and steaming it for about 5 minutes in water.

Shit is so good mixed with some rice and chicken. I could eat this every meal of every day forever.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I throw my brocoli in a bowl, cover it with stretch tight, and microwave it for 5-7 minutes. Simple.

mt1200

I just ate like 3/4 cup of green beans with my broccoli salad, that stuff is very healthy, contains low cals, and it fills your stomach.

Tomorrow is pay day, so I'll go to the supermarket to get more stuff I haven't tried yet like Quinoa and enough condiments to make some chicken curries to eat at work (I'm sick of having canned tuna as lunch 2-3 times per week). Low-fat + salt-free ricotta cheese cream was a very bad choice, completly tasteless with no fat, full-fat ricotta was way better.

Quest bars look good, but they are a bit expensive IMO, so i'll keep eating peanuts as mid-morning snack for now.

Lesmills' bodycombat group classes aren't leaving me tired enough (I think our instructor is softening them a little since there are many newcomers), I may have to complement my cardio with any quick insanity workout at home (I like cardio abs, even though I need small gym mat for my back/butt).

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Mr. Tough Pants, how do you cook so much broccoli? Do you just cook a bit every night or make a huge pot once or twice a week? I've been eating 3-4 cups a day of cooked broccoli but am finding it inefficient to cook it every other day. I feel like I need a gigantic kettle or some shit to steam it in... right now I'm just using the biggest wok I have and steaming it for about 5 minutes in water.

Shit is so good mixed with some rice and chicken. I could eat this every meal of every day forever.

Microwave > Veggie Cycle 8oz (2:30)

Add mustard or something that contains myrosinase with your meal to promote the sulforaphane anti-cancer/diabetic enzyme from broccoli.

First week on the Texas method. My glutes are completely punished after the first workout, 2 days later - today is gonna be 'light' day.

I almost forgot how intense DOMS can be. Feels good man.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hey guys, I have read the OP and couldn't find any info over cardio stuff..

I'm doing SS at the moment and enjoying it but I like to go for runs as it keeps me off the ciggys, my buddy told me I should do it after my SS workout but didnt specify how long after...

Veezy

que?

I'm doing SS at the moment and enjoying it but I like to go for runs as it keeps me off the ciggys, my buddy told me I should do it after my SS workout but didnt specify how long after...

SS doesn't not take into account any cardio. Zero. It is a strict, linear progression, strength development program. With the consistent increase in all the lifts your CNS will, sooner rather than later, be taxed to the limit and any additional training, I'd say regardless of your diet, will hinder the complete potential gains from the program.

If you're going to do cardio, the old school and pretty consistent body building trick of 20-40 minutes of fasted (on an empty stomach) walking right when you wake up is a pretty solid method. There are a few Grayskull LP templates that incorporate some endurance work, but adding in running is really something somebody should do who's using GSLP modified to fit running in primarily as a calorie burner. Basically, fatter men and women.

Starting Strength is what it is, for better or worse. If you're running, you're not doing SS.

To be honest, running afterwards would better as you'll want to be at peak rest for your lifts, but it's going to catch up to you eventually. Better to program in something that takes running into account now, rather than doing SS with running, IMHO.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
SS doesn't not take into account any cardio. Zero. It is a strict, linear progression, strength development program. With the consistent increase in all the lifts your CNS will, sooner rather than later, be taxed to the limit and any additional training, I'd say regardless of your diet, will hinder the complete potential gains from the program.

If you're going to do cardio, the old school and pretty consistent body building trick of 20-40 minutes of fasted (on an empty stomach) walking right when you wake up is a pretty solid method. There are a few Grayskull LP templates that incorporate some endurance work, but adding in running is really something somebody should do who's using GSLP modified to fit running in primarily as a calorie burner. Basically, fatter men and women.

Starting Strength is what it is, for better or worse. If you're running, you're not doing SS.

To be honest, running afterwards would better as you'll want to be at peak rest for your lifts, but it's going to catch up to you eventually. Better to program in something that takes running into account now, rather than doing SS with running, IMHO.
God dayum, this upsets me deeply

:(

Petrie

Banned

He didn't specify because it's not super important. Just make sure you eat enough to still promote recovery from SS workouts and realize it may slow your progress a bit on the SS program depending on the specifics of your runs.

This is an interesting take considering the times I've heard him recommend SS for athletes training for other sports and such which are going to involve a LOT of cardio.

Stannis

I guess athletes are generally going to be able to handle starting strength + cardio a lot better than your average guy just starting the program.

3 days till my 26th birthday. Really hoping my wife buys me a pair of Adipowers, I been dropping hints to her. Is it ok to deadlift in them? or will I have to go and switch to my chucks when I deadlift? My gym wont let me deadlift without shoes so I can't just simply kick them off

Veezy

que?
God dayum, this upsets me deeply

:(
It's not that you cannot do running and a linear progression strength program, per se. It's just that is not SS. SS is squatting three days a week, and alternating bench/press and deads/power cleans. That's it. Adding running is not factored in as it's not part of the program and Rip doesn't give a shit about body weight/image.

If you're going to run, a program that adds running, if I may be so bold, could be:

Monday:
AM Fasted walk: 30-45 mins
Press: 2x5, 1x5+
Squat: 2x5, 1x5+

Tuesday:
AM one mile run

Wednesday:
AM Fasted Walk: 30-45 mins
Bench: 2x5, X5+
Deadlift: 5+

Thursday:
AM Sprints: 100m x 8

Friday:
AM Fasted walk: 30-45 mins
Press: 2x5, 1x5+
Squat: 2x5, 1x5+

Saturday:
5k Run

Rotate the Bench and Press week by week. On days that you run or sprint, double your carb intake (if you're fine tuning things enough to where you are counting your macros). Squats go up only five pounds per time lifting the bar, deads five pounds, press and bench go up 2.5 pounds. Get lean. Get strong. Wear fitted suits so all the boys and girls want to touch your body.
This is an interesting take considering the times I've heard him recommend SS for athletes training for other sports and such which are going to involve a LOT of cardio.
Truthfact: SS, with running, isn't SS. This isn't my take, this is straight from Rip. 15 pounds of squat per week going up is insane while running. You've gotta cut back a bit.
I guess athletes are generally going to be able to handle starting strength + cardio a lot better than your average guy just starting the program.
Indeed, novices are not conditioned the way somebody who already does a lot of running competitively would be.

Petrie

Banned
Truthfact: SS, with running, isn't SS. This isn't my take, this is straight from Rip. 15 pounds of squat per week going up is insane while running. You've gotta cut back a bit.

This seems like an oversimplification. Rip himself describes SS for females on a regular basis with a slower progression than that, and it is still considered SS by him. What if I work construction as my job and then do SS? Am I not doing the program then either? How about when I was bar-tending and waiting tables on my feet for 12 hours a day running around, was I suddenly not doing SS?

Veezy

que?
This seems like an oversimplification. Rip himself describes SS for females on a regular basis with a slower progression than that, and it is still considered SS by him. What if I work construction as my job and then do SS? Am I not doing the program then either? How about when I was bar-tending and waiting tables on my feet for 12 hours a day running around, was I suddenly not doing SS?

I'm looking at adding a dedicated training regimen of running. There are plenty of people that have already physical jobs, they've adapted to, that can add in strength training with no problem. However, those are unique situations outside of "when is the best time to add running while doing SS." The optimal answer to that is, unfortunately, never.

I'm not saying you cannot run and do SS. I'm saying running while doing a LP program outlined as SS is not doing the program. If somebody really wants to run do do that split, that's they're option. However, there are smarter ways to be on an LP program and run than do Starting Strength's exact split with they're endurance training.

This is, to be completely honest, through the guise of somebody that's not a huge fan of SS as a long term program. Take that as you will.

Pete Rock

I'm doing SS at the moment and enjoying it but I like to go for runs as it keeps me off the ciggys
Quit running and buy a decent e-cig starter setup. There will be days when the runs will totally burn you out over what was supposed to be a recovery period, you just haven't reached that point yet. If you are happy with your lifts stalling I suppose it doesn't matter really.

I'm not saying all cardio is bad, just most of it outside of swimming, but in terms of trying to make SS a habit it would be a lot of added stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom