• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veezy

que?
Anyone have any input? It is much appreciated.

To be frank, that routine is pretty bad for developing strength. It's right there in the beginning of the PDF. If you really want to get your bench up, if that's truly your goal, then you might want to take a hard look at where you are progression wise and move from there. GSLP or SS might suit you better. If you're more advanced than that, Texas Method or 5/3/1 could be up your ally.

I mean, your suggestion works (I'd add the incline), but it's just not an optimal program for that.

As for ab work, I like to do it on any lower body days. Just a few decline crunches, some hanging knee/leg raises, and dumbbell side bends work great. 2-3 sets of 10-15 twice a week should suffice.

entremet

1) Come on and let's go! That sounds like a fantastic plan!

2) I have never been a former fatty/obese but I know and understand where you are coming from. I was a skinny fat guy and I still feel the same. Just yesterday someone commented on my arms but I don't see it. And I don't think I ever will. Paper towel tubes if you ask me. And don't get me started on my abs, I never do work on them =/ Trying to change it though!

Give it all to me. I'm down for whatever. I'm looking to stay somewhere near the Hammerstein Ballroom. Looking at hotels though, looks like a place in Queens is my best bet.

I'll put together a list tonight.

Have you tried AirBnB?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I found an old pic of me at 17 a few weeks ago at my grandparents. I was small and my forearms were nearly as big as my upper arms. I snapped a pic of it. I'll post it.

Groof

So I haven't been able to go to the gym for over two weeks now (first week I was travelling, second week I was swamped with work + a sudden visit from my cousin and her daughter) and I finally went back Monday. Come today, I started feeling really under the weather with a real sore throat and crazy headache. Now I'm getting real disheartened about it all... Feel like I'll be losing so much if I miss yet another week. :(

Cooter

So I haven't been able to go to the gym for over two weeks now (first week I was travelling, second week I was swamped with work + a sudden visit from my cousin and her daughter) and I finally went back Monday. Come today, I started feeling really under the weather with a real sore throat and crazy headache. Now I'm getting real disheartened about it all... Feel like I'll be losing so much if I miss yet another week. :(
Years not months. Life happens man.

sphinx

the piano man
my pics at my leanest are those of my fitness beginnings in 2012, I was smaller at that time, being 34 than when I was 21 (!)....nothing new to show in this batch of pics.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Silverback Brolic > Skinny Gaoler

Thanks bud.

It just shows me and reinforces that whatever my goal is I throw myself into it 100%. I can be skinny if i want. I can be a absolute great runner if I want. Or I can be a tubby strong dude if I want.

I look at those pictures and I most definitely prefer how I look now. Fat and all.

Also getting that skinny and that fast was far, far, FAR easier than what I look like and am doing now.

SRnh37h.gif

Servbot24

Banned
I have one more lift on Friday before my cut but I'll probably be too busy for pics then so here we go. Jan 17:

Today was my first day at the gym in nearly year. Felt really good finally do more than push-ups at home. :p Here's me now:

photo2-1.jpg

This isn't a new year's resolution, it's just when I happened to have some money for a membership. That said I'm expecting to make a lot of progress by next year. My goal is to have moderately noticeable abs by July. Don't know if that's realistic but we'll see. I do eat properly and I bike 2 hours a day to go to work. I'm going to start swimming laps on the weekend too.

Today, about 1.5 months later:

prog.jpg

Now to start UD2.0 for 4 weeks (maybe 5 if I decide I need it). My goals is to have fairly defined abs before July.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wait. What? You're gonna cut? I would definitely not do that. I'm not you though. You're already very lean. The issue is lack of muscle mass from what I can tell.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
not going for mass. that said if anything i should gain a slight bit of mass on this diet or stay even.

Ok. Your goal is your goal. Not trying to dissuade you. I just hate to see someone already lean take it extreme. If you're supposed to gain on that program, even better.

Chocobro

Well it's been a while since I posted a form check video so I recorded DLs and squats today.

Deadlifts.
dat guy benching at the end.
Squats. New PR, 3x5x145lbs done. I'm a bit disappointed with these. I wasn't mindful enough of staying on my heels and there's a bit of knee caving in.

Feedback please!

sdijoseph

So I have been reading that it might be wise to use dumbells instead of barbells for certain exercises while just starting to lift weights. If this is true, would the following distribution make sense?

Squat - 3 sets of 5 - Barbell
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 - Dumbell
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5 - Barbell

Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5 - Dumbell
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3 - Barbell

Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5 - Dumbells

moocow

I can't see too well off my phone, but It looked a bit like your knees were caving in when going up in your squats.

Gotta love those platforms and bumper plates.

J. Bravo

Benched 230 once tonight. Would have gotten another I think if I hadn't just played a super intense basketball game. And if my fucking back didn't cramp up. How do you deal with that? It was lower right just above my butt cheek.

moocow

So I have been reading that it might be wise to use dumbells instead of barbells for certain exercises while just starting to lift weights. If this is true, would the following distribution make sense?

Squat - 3 sets of 5 - Barbell
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 - Dumbell
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5 - Barbell

Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5 - Dumbell
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3 - Barbell

Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5 - Dumbells

It is good to mix it up with dumbbells every once in a while as a supplementary lift, or even replacing the main lift.

However, if you are just starting out, you will hit diminishing returns very very quickly with dumbbells. With Bench press, and especially with OHP, you need to be able to go up by only 5 lb increments. I have never seen dumbbells above 30 lbs go up in increments of less than 5. Which means that every time you try to go up, you need to account for 10 extra lbs for the lift.

So if you are just starting out, I think it's better to go with barbells.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It is good to mix it up with dumbbells every once in a while as a supplementary lift, or even replacing the main lift.

However, if you are just starting out, you will hit diminishing returns very very quickly with dumbbells. With Bench press, and especially with OHP, you need to be able to go up by only 5 lb increments. I have never seen dumbbells above 30 lbs go up in increments of less than 5. Which means that every time you try to go up, you need to account for 10 extra lbs for the lift.

So if you are just starting out, I think it's better to go with barbells.

My gym has several magnetic 2.5lb mini-plates that work really well with the dumbbells. You have to hold the dumbbell a little off-center to adjust for balance but it's no big deal.

Go_Ly_Dow

Well it's been a while since I posted a form check video so I recorded DLs and squats today.

Deadlifts.
dat guy benching at the end.

Coming down a bit fast with the deadlifts no??

Also the break between each rep?

I ask because when I dl I tend to come down slower with the bar and go for my next rep soon as the weight is dead again.

Wait, MTP is banned? Anyone know why or for how long?

I will throw on an extra set of shrugs every day until your return MTP, in honor of your mighty traps. I will also pour out a cup of broccoli (onto my plate... Can't waste those calories yo) for our fallen homie.

Groof

Years not months. Life happens man.
Yeah... I guess I'm just stressed out by it all. It used to calm me down pretty good, and not being able to go is bumming me out.
Good thing that my work has a lot if heavy lifting at times, helps keep my sanity a bit.

Coming down a bit fast with the deadlifts no??

Also the break between each rep?

I ask because when I dl I tend to come down slower with the bar and go for my next rep soon as the weight is dead again.

There is no need to go slow when lowering the deadlift, and him resetting between each rep means that every rep can be made similar. When repping fast with the deadlift, the starting position may not be the same every time.

Irobot82

There is no need to go slow when lowering the deadlift, and him resetting between each rep means that every rep can be made similar. When repping fast with the deadlift, the starting position may not be the same every time.

I agree, his DL form looked spot on to me. Also, WTH, that dude benching, it looks like he was doing 1/4 benches.

moocow

My gym has several magnetic 2.5lb mini-plates that work really well with the dumbbells. You have to hold the dumbbell a little off-center to adjust for balance but it's no big deal.

That sounds like it could work actually. Although, I personally wouldn't like working with uneven dumbbells. If those were 1.25s, then I think it would be a damn fine replacement.

Cooter

:-(

I scarfed down some broccoli and mustard last night in your honor. Hopefully it's a short one.

It would be cool to one day look like I actually lift weights 4x/week. My arms just don't grow.

I feel ya. My arms are long so its taking a little bit to get them built up. Don't worry you'll get there! Do you do any pull ups by chance? I feel like those help hit my arms on days where I don't do anything bicep or tricep related.

Go_Ly_Dow

I agree, his DL form looked spot on to me. Also, WTH, that dude benching, it looks like he was doing 1/4 benches.

Awesome if thats the case it should improve my DL too. Going down slow strains my body and quicker reps also wears me out somewhat.

Will follow his form.

25% off GNC's site today, good time to grab some quest bars :p

on it!

Wait, MTP is banned? Anyone know why or for how long?

I will throw on an extra set of shrugs every day until your return MTP, in honor of your mighty traps. I will also pour out a cup of broccoli (onto my plate... Can't waste those calories yo) for our fallen homie.

didn't look but my guess is the gf slept with 82 guys thread

It would be cool to one day look like I actually lift weights 4x/week. My arms just don't grow.

multiple arm days~!

Cooter

All you guys looking for big arms need look no further than BB curls, CGBP, weighted dips, and massive amounts of pull ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom