• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoeBear

All you guys looking for big arms need look no further than BB curls, CGBP, weighted dips, and massive amounts of pull ups!

Make sure when you want big arms to have your triceps bigger. Unless all you care about is biceps... but it's so strange when seeing people with the same size or bigger biceps. 2 parts to the bicep while there's 3 to the triceps (get it bi-2 tri-3).

Everyone in here already knows this I'm guessing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you wanna fill your sleeves, get on that triceps work. Feels good man.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What's the best supplementary exercise for triceps (and maybe something that hits chest as well) if I can't do dips? I've been lifting for a while now with no problems but I've discovered that dips are the only exercise that irritate a weird sternum injury I have. I've been working my way up in weight on dips (3x8) the past few weeks and my sternum just can't take it anymore. Yesterday I replaced them with close-grip BP and I'm thinking of just sticking with that.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What's the best supplementary exercise for triceps (and maybe something that hits chest as well) if I can't do dips? I've been lifting for a while now with no problems but I've discovered that dips are the only exercise that irritate a weird sternum injury I have. I've been working my way up in weight on dips (3x8) the past few weeks and my sternum just can't take it anymore. Yesterday I replaced them with close-grip BP and I'm thinking of just sticking with that.

Yes, stick with that. LTEs are nice too.

do you guys prefer ez curl bar or just a straight bb when doing LTEs? i'm gonna give them a shot instead of dips tomorrow for assistance work.

Chocobro

I can't see too well off my phone, but It looked a bit like your knees were caving in when going up in your squats.

Gotta love those platforms and bumper plates.
Yeah, knees buckling in / caving is really annoying. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it because the 'push your knees out' cue doesn't seem to work that well for me. My friend suggested trying pause squats for a bit and learn to not have the knees cave in.
Platforms and bumper plates <3
I agree, his DL form looked spot on to me. Also, WTH, that dude benching, it looks like he was doing 1/4 benches.
Thanks! I'm usually OCD having proper DL form and it's one of the reasons it's lagging behind my squats :( Plus it doesn't help that I only DL once a week. Looks like I can continue to increase the weight so that's a plus.
The spotter: YOU GOT ONE MORE. I AIN'T GOING TO EVEN HELP YOU. (Dom voice)
Awesome if thats the case it should improve my DL too. Going down slow strains my body and quicker reps also wears me out somewhat.

Will follow his form.
It's basically what the others have said. I just drop it so I don't waste anymore energy and I've read that going down slowly can potentially injure you. The gym my friend goes to removed the deadlift platform and bumper plates and the employees there told him he had to lower the weights slowly during DLs. He strained his lower back from that. He said never again, fuck that (employees didn't complain when other people kept dropping weights).
----------------------------------
So my question is how should I go about fixing the problem with my knees caving in when coming out of the hole during squats?
-----------------------------------
MrToughPants, mustard with broccoli is pretty good. I'll eat more that way. Come back soon!

SeanR1221

Chocobro, you have to consciously shove your knees out. Just one more que to remember.

I'm assuming MTP got banned for comments in the my friend's gf has had sex with 80 people thread.

I'm trying to decide between two less-than-ideal lunch options: a large bowl of plain yogurt and (not very sugary) granola, or a bread-heavy (meat sparse) sandwich?

Cooter

I'm trying to decide between two less-than-ideal lunch options: a large bowl of plain yogurt and (not very sugary) granola, or a bread-heavy (meat sparse) sandwich?
If you're cutting go with the yogurt. Otherwise, eat what sounds better.

both? (I'm hungry right now)

Today is a rough day, started at 6:30am and tired as heck.

It's supposed to be back day and shoulder day (part 2)... ughhh

You got it, just gotta get in there and get started. After that you'll wake up and be fine (and be dead tired tonight).

rokkerkory

both? (I'm hungry right now)

You got it, just gotta get in there and get started. After that you'll wake up and be fine (and be dead tired tonight).

Yeah man, yesterday was similar too, but after getting in there and pushing through the first part, I felt better.

And KO'd last night hahahaha... can't miss the gym tho!

Yeah man, yesterday was similar too, but after getting in there and pushing through the first part, I felt better.

And KO'd last night hahahaha... can't miss the gym tho!

I feel ya. Its the end of the week almost for me, just deadlifts and front squats left, but I'm feeling the exhaustion as well. Just gotta push through it to your off days.

Petrie

Banned
295lb 3x5 squat and 215lb 3x5 bench press today!

As much as I want to get back to enjoying my accessory (vanity) work and such, I'm loving riding out these linear gains again. So much progress to be had.

Pocks

Man, it feels good to break through a plateau.

A couple weeks ago, I got stuck on 180lb bench with SS. I only completed 3 reps on each set. I dropped down to 165 and worked my way back up. I easily cleared through all three sets, and I even did a bonus rep on the last set.

I'm having a tough time deciding when to cut. On one hand, it would be nice to be under 15% by the time May rolls around. On the other hand, it seems silly to cut if I haven't added significant bulk in the first place. I'm leaning toward only cutting after I'm benching 225 for reps, which would be about 6 more weeks on SS without any plateauing.

Also, bulking is damn hard &#8212; I have to force myself to eat in order to meet my daily kcal goals.

fat man scoops, weight be droppin, there is some definition in the arm!

gXstBFG.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Where'd you get them glasses brah

Other than those glasses you look great

Cooter

Huge difference already FE. Incredible. I'm tempted to post an update but I'm so close to being done I'll just wait.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be goddamned though. I look at FE and I see the ideal build he's working towards lurking in there. You're getting there brother!

I didn't mean to razz you about your spectacles too harsh.

sphinx

the piano man
today I had a very special day at the gym.

I have stalled on bench press since forever, I don't know when was the last time I upped the weight on my 5x3. Today was again chest day and while I was laying on the bench, I thought about how my lifts had been progressing since I tried to have the philosophy of "Do not panic" when going for PRs.

On my MP3, there was an instrumental version of a song by Madonna "to have and not to hold" which has a very soothing, calm rhythm. I thought about not doing anything particular, don't breathe more or harder, don't push the bar like you are benching 300 lbs, don't get in the way of the bar and yourself, long story short, I did 3 sets or 6 reps each, when I had been struggling to reach rep 5, always pussing out. Interestingly... Madonna's song has her singing or whispering very slowly "only I... am to blame" at the end of the song, it bore a meaning in that particular moment.

This is not a massive achievement but I started to have some sort of revelation.

as a pianist, you fuck up thousands of times when performing on stage (or otherwise) because you let your thoughts get in the way of your goal (will people like it?, am I good?, the piece is too hard!, did I practice enough? I know them all), The same happens while lifting (am I strong enough? do I have the right form? did I sleep/eat well?

All the time that has passed in my life, over 23 years of trying to come to terms with that part of performing or producing music on stage has given me some kind of knowledge and I am always trying to apply any of that in my lifting life.

So today I did that and I forgot about the fears and embraced the situation. it was very different, more personal, more spiritual and I kept going on with my thoughts and the parallel aspects of piano and lifting. It's very amazing how many similarities there is between both. I thank god, the universe, the energy, etc, for the chance to learn or realize things like today.

what I want to ask kindly of people lurking or reading this.

Please care about strength, regardless of your aesthetic goal.

another analogy I found between the reason to do and listen to concerts and lifting weight is that when it goes well, there' s a small "triumph of Humanity", Whenever you break a plateau and you conquer it, it matters. No matter if you are professional or an amateur or are disabled or what, Comparatively, when you go to a concert of any kind, you want to see the artist triumph and you want to be blown away by it, you want them to take you with them in their journey.

That personal small "triumph" is what motivates me both on strenght/ligting and doing music. basically, try your best to make humanity proud of you, make humans proud that you are one of them. that's why I almost always cry when I see the flame of the olympics being lit up. God knows how many hours they have spent to make it there, everybody in their discipline and they are going to represent us, humanity, in the maximum festivity of human triumph there can be.
but they are not the only ones that matter. It may seem like the the world doesn't care about you reaching your goals but I firmly believe the world needs you to conquer your goals,

o.k. that was long, sorry for the headache....

ll:dr, I had a nice chest day.

EDIT: FallingEdge, you can believe people when they say you have big arms, lol. you are way past that "mmh. dunno" phase many of us are going through now.

I was beginning to wonder when we would finally have an updated selfie from Falling Edge, looking slimmer already keep it up man. How bad are those stretchmarks around your armpit?? I seem to be getting some on my left armpit but none around my right

iddqd

Had my first Quest bar today, what the hell GAF, it tasted like fake sugar shit!

(I bought 3 other flavors as well, the verdict is still out)

Szu

As everyone else has mentioned, nice work, FE. Don't listen to Vince about dem glasses. They add a nice level of sophistication.

Brains n' Brawn, Man!!

sphinx

the piano man
Same. I'm super tempted cause I got a real good shot today but I'll wait. 70 more days

since I was told I "look the same" (you know, just the same, not comparing two particular points in time, just the same) I was curious and did a before/after three months apart, end Novemeber til end February and showed to my some of my friends, some of them lift and they put me in my place when I go all "fuck yeah" with the pics and they said there's clear difference so that was it with the pics, after that reassurance.

will probably wait until the summer thread to post anything related to that.

been a horrible week for me diet and fitness wise. I have my interview to get into Physical Therapy school tomorrow and I've been an absolute nervous wreck all week. The stress is causing me to break diet and I just don't feel like I have time for the gym this week. I can't wait till Saturday because most of the stress will be gone and it will be my 26th birthday so I'll be able to finally get back to enjoying myself

grumble

Had my first Quest bar today, what the hell GAF, it tasted like fake sugar shit!

(I bought 3 other flavors as well, the verdict is still out)

It's not perfect, but considering the quality of ingredients it could be much worse. Most bars either taste awful or are candy.

It depends on the flavour too; some are better than others. Microwave helps too.

Where'd you get them glasses brah

Other than those glasses you look great

I'll be goddamned though. I look at FE and I see the ideal build he's working towards lurking in there. You're getting there brother!

I didn't mean to razz you about your spectacles too harsh.

Thanks! And don't worry, it takes a lot for me to be offended. It is all jokes. Hell, that's how I am with friends, they all give me a hard time and I give it right back. All love <3

Besides, I plan to get my hair cut, Nakamura style in May. I'm sure I will get a lot of crap for that one.

Weights definitely dropping. Looking swolfisticated

Huge difference already FE. Incredible. I'm tempted to post an update but I'm so close to being done I'll just wait.

Thanks guys! Feeling pretty good. As mentioned before, I'm under 260 and the weight is still coming off nicely. My lifts are still going up with the exception of bench. I think I be lucky to get 315 again. I wanted to wait till posting a new pic but figured why not. At the end of Feb and it is almost Friday. Start up a new job in a few weeks so I was feeling good.

EDIT: FallingEdge, you can believe people when they say you have big arms, lol. you are way past that "mmh. dunno" phase many of us are going through now.

Thanks dood. They still need some definition though. And I want them to be 18 inches cold! Getting there.

I was beginning to wonder when we would finally have an updated selfie from Falling Edge, looking slimmer already keep it up man. How bad are those stretchmarks around your armpit?? I seem to be getting some on my left armpit but none around my right

Those stretchmarks are rough. I need to put on some coconut butter but I keep forgetting. Yeah, I'm the same way, nothing really on the right but on the left, it is out in full force. It came out of nowhere too.

Keep up the work son. Sick basic training glasses.

Thanks! I wear contacts but just got glasses recently. My eyes dry out and I just wanted to go contact free for a while.

As everyone else has mentioned, nice work, FE. Don't listen to Vince about dem glasses. They add a nice level of sophistication.

Brains n' Brawn, Man!!

*adjusts glasses*

Let's kick it in NYC! Still figuring out where I am staying. Might be on the Lower East Side or in Queens.

since I was told I "look the same" (you know, just the same, not comparing two particular points in time, just the same) I was curious and did a before/after three months apart, end Novemeber til end February and showed to my some of my friends, some of them lift and they put me in my place when I go all "fuck yeah" with the pics and they said there's clear difference so that was it with the pics, after that reassurance.

will probably wait until the summer thread to post anything related to that.

We see ourselves in the mirror every day so the amount of progress doesn't always come clear. If you were to take a look back over a period of months or years, there is definitely changes. Trust me, I can clearly tell the difference in your pics.

iddqd

It's not perfect, but considering the quality of ingredients it could be much worse. Most bars either taste awful or are candy.

It depends on the flavour too; some are better than others. Microwave helps too.

Oh boy, I had no idea you are superposed to microwave them.
And if the ingredients thing is true, they ARE way better then the crappy ones I normally eat.

Jokab

Hey Fit-GAF. I recently set this silly goal for myself to be able to put my palms flat on the floor from an upright position. Partly motivated by the fact that my friends all reach the floor (not palms though) easily without doing any stretching, and my mom can actually do the palm thing at age 52. As such, I need to do a lot of stretching, particularly the hamstrings I suppose. For about two weeks now I've been doing this for 2x45sec before bed (obviously I can't reach my toes yet in that position).

Not getting much progress done. Are there any better stretches? Do I need to up the 'repetition' time? Are there any more muscles that I should consider stretching to reach my goal? Thanks.

Imm0rt4l

Hey Fit-GAF. I recently set this silly goal for myself to be able to put my palms flat on the floor from an upright position. Partly motivated by the fact that my friends all reach the floor (not palms though) easily without doing any stretching, and my mom can actually do the palm thing at age 52. As such, I need to do a lot of stretching, particularly the hamstrings I suppose. For about two weeks now I've been doing this for 2x45sec before bed (obviously I can't reach my toes yet in that position).

Not getting much progress done. Are there any better stretches? Do I need to up the 'repetition' time? Are there any more muscles that I should consider stretching to reach my goal? Thanks.
Im curious as well. As I understand it your goal should be to incrementally more flexible than the day before ( almost immeasurable) to increase plasticity. Problem is that your lowerback is the least flexible in the morning.

J. Bravo

Yeah, knees buckling in / caving is really annoying. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it because the 'push your knees out' cue doesn't seem to work that well for me. My friend suggested trying pause squats for a bit and learn to not have the knees cave in.
Platforms and bumper plates <3

Thanks! I'm usually OCD having proper DL form and it's one of the reasons it's lagging behind my squats :( Plus it doesn't help that I only DL once a week. Looks like I can continue to increase the weight so that's a plus.
The spotter: YOU GOT ONE MORE. I AIN'T GOING TO EVEN HELP YOU. (Dom voice)

It's basically what the others have said. I just drop it so I don't waste anymore energy and I've read that going down slowly can potentially injure you. The gym my friend goes to removed the deadlift platform and bumper plates and the employees there told him he had to lower the weights slowly during DLs. He strained his lower back from that. He said never again, fuck that (employees didn't complain when other people kept dropping weights).
----------------------------------
So my question is how should I go about fixing the problem with my knees caving in when coming out of the hole during squats?
-----------------------------------
MrToughPants, mustard with broccoli is pretty good. I'll eat more that way. Come back soon!

on your warmup sets wrap an elastic band around your knees. then on your working sets you will push your knees out and soon you wont need the band.

Jokab

Im curious as well. As I understand it your goal should be to incrementally more flexible than the day before ( almost immeasurable) to increase plasticity. Problem is that your lowerback is the least flexible in the morning.

Something like that, yes. And I've been doing my stretches in the evening, just before bed, not in the morning.

Imm0rt4l

Something like that, yes. And I've been doing my stretches in the evening, just before bed, not in the morning.
Oh I understand that i was just pointing that out because touching my toes is harder than it should be in the morning. Just food for thought.

sphinx

the piano man
for stretching, it's very simple but I like this move, you go down, grab your ankles, and try to keep you nose between your knees all the time.

flexibility_zps20562a58.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom