• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Chocobro, you have to consciously shove your knees out. Just one more que to remember.
I'll give it another try in the next few workouts.
on your warmup sets wrap an elastic band around your knees. then on your working sets you will push your knees out and soon you wont need the band.
Good call, I forgot about trying that. Suppose I'll redo 145 to see if there's any improvement.

Thanks guys! I'll report back soon.

rokkerkory

whew got through gym today.... shoulders, back and abs...

flew home and made dinner

1655931_10152209563688758_1879261431_n.jpg

What's the best supplementary exercise for triceps (and maybe something that hits chest as well) if I can't do dips? I've been lifting for a while now with no problems but I've discovered that dips are the only exercise that irritate a weird sternum injury I have. I've been working my way up in weight on dips (3x8) the past few weeks and my sternum just can't take it anymore. Yesterday I replaced them with close-grip BP and I'm thinking of just sticking with that.

PULL-OVERS

mt1200

My left ankle has been hurting since last sunday (I think I didn't do calf raises properly) whenever I walk, I've had to avoid the treadmill all this week, and I had to avoid a boot-camp group class today too since it's very stressful for joints. So far, I've been doing steady cardio only on elliptical machine and spinning bikes, I hope my ankle/foot will heal with some time. I believe I've really improved at cardio, but i'm still very weak lifting weights with my upper body, I guess I should increase my protein intake and start putting more weight+speed and less reps (Which is exactly the opposite of my shitty gym pre-made routine) .

By the way, I checked in my kitchen and found some old dried Wakame seaweeds, I remember I bought like 2 pounds some years ago, and since they are completly dried, they basically last forever (or so i've read). Had 2 boiled tbsp of it in my salad with some green beans and broccoli, omg both green beans and wakame fill your stomach and are very low in calories. I have to keep adding wakame to my salads, so i'm putting it into my tuna-mayo salad for my lunch tomorrow at work :p .

I could finally buy some quinoa, I can't believe how small and lightweight seeds can carry so much nutrients, you basically only need like a tbsp in your dishes.

Bad thing about wakame: very high in sodium, don't add soy sauce to your salad. Bad thing about green beans: Salt is needed while you boil them, otherwise they don't even taste good without some heavy dressing.

PlayDat

Anyone else here have Crohn's or some other form of IBD? I'm curious about what effect it has had on your workout routine since I'm stilled pretty new to this.

The infusions I've been doing every 8 weeks have helped tremendously but my body is growing accustomed to the medicine. These last couple were slightly less effective than the earlier infusions. This past week has been especially rough due to a loss of appetite in addition to all the usual poo stuff. The food that I am able to eat isn't being digested properly which means my body isn't as well nourished as I'd like it to be. I can already notice my progress at the gym slowing down and I'm honestly a little nervous about going tomorrow morning.

agrajag

Banned
Anyone else here have Crohn's or some other form of IBD? I'm curious about what effect it has had on your workout routine since I'm stilled pretty new to this.

The infusions I've been doing every 8 weeks have helped tremendously but my body is growing accustomed to the medicine. These last couple were slightly less effective than the earlier infusions. This past week has been especially rough due to a loss of appetite in addition to all the usual poo stuff. The food that I am able to eat isn't being digested properly which means my body isn't as well nourished as I'd like it to be. I can already notice my progress at the gym slowing down and I'm honestly a little nervous about going tomorrow morning.

bro1 who posts in this thread has Crohn's.

rage1973

Have you tried using paleo autoimmune protocol for Crohn's disease?
Try getting rid of all grains, legumes and nightshades out of your diet for 30 days to see if it helps.

sphinx

the piano man
Trying this, thanks

I have some other stretching moves for hams and lower back, will try to do gifs later, maybe today at the gym.

How close together are your legs, Sphinx?

me feet are separated by about 3 or 4 inches, but take your face between your knees as orientation, your cheeks should try touch the "tear" on your quads. it's rather easy when you are down in starting position but once you lift your butt, you are going to feel the pain lol, the point of the exercise is to not let go your ankles. Sometimes, I am able to have completely straight legs, unlike that gif I made.

Don't over do it, just make it part of your stretching moves and over time it will get better.

oh and there's a much harder variation (without holding ankles) with legs/feet crossed, one in front of the other... VERY hard, it feels like it can lead to an injury if done carelessly. will try to do a gif later today too.

ILoveBish

Doing IF and upping the calories, already lost 2lbs in 2 days. I was actually under eating by a lot, trying to eat 2k caloies is very tough in such a small time window, i had to do reps with the food to get it all down. Still experimenting with time frame and sleep schedule and also moving today & tomorrow, so once things get more stable i'll hopefully have a really good handle on things.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have been getting this pain in my right arm, around the tricep area, towards the back of the arm, whenever I go to pick something up/flex it. Anyone experienced something like this?

It started about two weeks ago. Although, it wasn't until last week/this past Tuesday that it became noticeably.

Lying Tricep Extension.

Thank you.

Man LTEs are legit! Tried them out for the first time today, and got a good pump going.

Devoted more time to stretching and warming up the SI joint, but I could still feel a good amount of pressure on it on my worksets of OHP, and even at 75% of my 5rm of squat. I'm gonna continue to rest and stretch throughout the week and try again.

I used to do those for my chest way back in the day. Do they really work the tris much? Are you talking about the kind where you keep your arms straight?

Bend at your elbow as you come down with the weight (dumbbell); as you bring the weight back up extend your arms straight.

Think of it as a 'skull crusher pull-over'.

abuC

Left arm is 18.5"
Right arm is shrinking just under 18.25"

Starting a new routine on Monday, shoulders are feeling better but wont be doing any heavy lifting with them for a while.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Left arm is 18.5"
Right arm is shrinking just under 18.25"

Starting a new routine on Monday, shoulders are feeling better but wont be doing any heavy lifting with them for a while.
Left arm, 16.75
Right arm, 16.25

You sir are a monster.

Left arm: 17.75"
Right arm: 17.25"

Post pump, they are at 18 or so. My arms need to be that size cold, no flex! My shoulders are pretty weak, nothing like Cooter or abuC. Got only 5 reps @ 175 for OHP.

abuC, when you gonna post up them pics man!

So my BF% is plummeting on this cut, but my pants still feel tight in the legs... is this common from the muscle gain, or am I just further than I think?

people lose bf in different locations. your legs could be one of the last places to lose it.

Keep going man, you and Sean are my buds right now. Can't wait to see how you guys get toward the end of your goals.

thanks dood, means a lot to hear that from you <3

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So my BF% is plummeting on this cut, but my pants still feel tight in the legs... is this common from the muscle gain, or am I just further than I think?

rokkerkory

Left arm: 17.75"
Right arm: 17.25"

Post pump, they are at 18 or so. My arms need to be that size cold, no flex! My shoulders are pretty weak, nothing like Cooter or abuC. Got only 5 reps @ 175 for OHP.

abuC, when you gonna post up them pics man!

people lose bf in different locations. your legs could be one of the last places to lose it.

I don't know man... anyone above 16" arms I consider pretty elite status.

I don't usually work on arms as I am focusing on shoulders, chest and legs right now. But will need to later this year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man LTEs are legit! Tried them out for the first time today, and got a good pump going.

Devoted more time to stretching and warming up the SI joint, but I could still feel a good amount of pressure on it on my worksets of OHP, and even at 75% of my 5rm of squat. I'm gonna continue to rest and stretch throughout the week and try again.

Yes they are brother. LTEs are the truth!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Bend at your elbow as you come down with the weight (dumbbell); as you bring the weight back up extend your arms straight.

Think of it as a 'skull crusher pull-over'.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I'm going to switch back and forth between that and close-grip BP and see which I like more. LTE might be preferable just because I don't want to take up one of the two bench press stations in the gym just for a supplemental tricep exercise.

What's a better bar to usefor LTEs, the ez-curl or that one that's shaped kind of like this: ---(=|=|=)---

just imagine the equal signs are wider. It's oval shaped with two handles in the middle.

Even if I kinda know the right answer, I think you'll all know where I'm coming from with this question: should I work out with a head cold? I worked out on Monday and Wednesday during the early stages of my sickness and felt pretty incredible (both in terms of strength gains and the illness), but I feel much more congested today. I'm doing the Greyskull LP right now, and I'm thinking of doing OHP, BB Rows, and pull-ups sans squats--bad idea?

New favorite channel. Holy shit.

http://youtu.be/_eWMQtytWaM

Can't, stop, laughing.....

Also found the Asian MTP. (Not mike Chang, the dude makin fun if mike Chang)

http://youtu.be/RnnVnpQAW-4

That fucking Galt/Taggart shirt--holy shit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Even if I kinda know the right answer, I think you'll all know where I'm coming from with this question: should I work out with a head cold? I worked out on Monday and Wednesday during the early stages of my sickness and felt pretty incredible (both in terms of strength gains and the illness), but I feel much more congested today. I'm doing the Greyskull LP right now, and I'm thinking of doing OHP, BB Rows, and pull-ups sans squats--bad idea?

That fucking Galt/Taggart shirt--holy shit.

Just a head cold go for it. I've been battling one of those all winter.

Pete Rock

I'm doing the Greyskull LP right now, and I'm thinking of doing OHP, BB Rows, and pull-ups sans squats--bad idea?
Do the damn thing! Was in a similar situation a month ago and didn't even want to show up let alone skip the hardest part. Felt a lot better when it was over and the next two sessions were improvements, whereas I don't feel that would have been the case had I skipped that monday and "rested".

Just a head cold go for it. I've been battling one of those all winter.

Head cold I say yes.

Constantly blowing your nose and getting snot all over I say no.

Do the damn thing! Was in a similar situation a month ago and didn't even want to show up let alone skip the hardest part. Felt a lot better when it was over and the next two sessions were improvements, whereas I don't feel that would have been the case had I skipped that monday and "rested".

Christ, fine. The shittiest thing about working out today will be this pervasive NyQuil hangover, but I'll make it work. And hopefully this runny nose eases up within the next two hours.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Just make sure it's not the kind of cold where'll you have snot unxepectedly pouring from your nose in the middle of bent-over rows.

Yeah, it's embarrassing.

J. Bravo

355 for 2 on squat. Stupidly forgot to set my phone to record so no video. First rep was easier than I thought it would be. But second one I almost didn't make it up lmao.

Chocobro

So I recorded most, if not all, of my working sets of squats today. Still a bit of knee caving in even when I'm consciously pushing my knees out; I even bumped it down to 135 lbs and did an extra set or two with my foot pointed out more, still there. I'll see if I can edit all of the footage and upload it, assuming I have the time to with the assignments I have to do.

I don't want to justify that it's OK for my knees to cave in a bit during an ATG squat, but many of the videos of Olympic lifters squatting I've seen, their knees cave a bit when getting out of the hole. Is it that it's OK for them to have it when they're just strong as fuck?

Cudder

How close together are your feet? I think the closer they are the more you'll tend to cave inwards. I go outside shoulder width.

Chocobro

How close together are your feet? I think the closer they are the more you'll tend to cave inwards. I go outside shoulder width.

Shoulder width with my feet about 10" away from each other and pointed out roughly 30 degrees. That's also my guess, but I'm not 100% sure if it's true or not.

I don't want to justify that it's OK for my knees to cave in a bit during an ATG squat, but many of the videos of Olympic lifters squatting I've seen, their knees cave a bit when getting out of the hole. Is it that it's OK for them to have it when they're just strong as fuck?

Their knees cave in slightly on the ascent from the squat because they do it on purpose to recruit the quadriceps more and not because they cannot squat without their knees caving in. Here is a person who advocates the knees in squat:

http://lifthard.com/more-info-about-china-and-the-chuanfu-squats/

Shoulder width with my feet about 10" away from each other and pointed out roughly 30 degrees. That's also my guess, but I'm not 100% sure if it's true or not.

From what I understand, men with bigger hips (and typically most women because they naturally have wide hips) are physiologically predisposed to have their knees cave inward when doing things like running, jumping, pivoting, squatting, etc.

My knees too cave inward, like people say you need to be conscious of this when squatting and feel like you're pushing your knees outward. One other cue that I try to think about before squatting is I feel like I'm rotating my knees/quads outward a little bit, so it looks/feels like my knees are better lined up vertically with my thighs.

sphinx

the piano man
do you guys has record of how much you've grown over the months/years in inches??

I just found out I have a pic of me measuring my right quad, the pic is like 1.5 years old, Septemeber 2012.

I measured again today and it's a bit under 2 inches bigger.... don't know it that's solid or what, won't lose my sleep over that but I'd like to know if any of you guys have a record of who fast you got bigger from any specific part.

Cudder

I never took measurements of anything when I started, other than a few pictures. Wish I had though. I would've loved to know my weight and limb measurements when I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom