• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
190 today. I'm not certain I've put on any muscle with this bulk to be perfectly honest....

Cooter

Not looking much different from pre bulk?
No, not really. If nothing else it was a nice 2 month break to eat whatever I want I guess... :/

190 was my goal to weigh at the same bf% pre bulk and I feel like I still have to drop some more to get there. I can see abs but I think they were more prominent than this pre bulk.

SeanR1221

No, not really. If nothing else it was a nice 2 month break to eat whatever I want I guess... :/

190 was my goal to weigh at the same bf% pre bulk and I feel like I still have to drop some more to get there. I can see abs but I think they were more prominent than this pre bulk.

Maybe give it a couple more weeks? You can't let that guy win who said no one looks better post bulk and cut cycle

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Post pics when you're done. I'll be brutally honest to everyone that does. Too often there's false "great work, or awesome gains" posted. Honesty is what is needed for progress. Whether it's aesthetic gain or strength. They way I am if a friend tells me my squat or anything else is good. Then I go back and see it's not full rom or bullshit. I'm gonna get pissed the fuck off.

Let's not build false egos. Earn that shit and learn to do it right gents!

Ask Sean if he's fucked up I give him both barrels. All though it's always typically been in private.

Cooter

Maybe give it a couple more weeks? You can't let that guy win who said no one looks better post bulk and cut cycle
Haha. Oh yeah, that guy. Well at least FE will deliver the goods!

I still feel a week or two out so we shall see.

EDIT: I will post for sure. Right after a huge shoulder day and dehydrated as shit! Ha

SeanR1221

Post pics when you're done. I'll be brutally honest to everyone that does. Too often there's false "great work, or awesome gains" posted. Honesty is what is needed for progress. Whether it's aesthetic gain or strength. They way I am if a friend tells me my squat or anything else is good. Then I go back and see it's not full rom or bullshit. I'm gonna get pissed the fuck off.

Let's not build false egos. Earn that shit and learn to do it right gents!

Ask Sean if he's fucked up I give him both barrels. All though it's always typically been in private.

Yup. You've definitely knocked me down a few pegs at times. It's helped a lot though.

iddqd

At least the girls are cute.

That's something I'm really envious about looking at crossfit gyms.

If ONE lady like that shows up in my more powerlift/performance centered gym,
you can feel the air bursting with hard penis.

Cooter

My gym has all the pretty chicas you could ask for. Always makes me push myself just a bit more!

Cudder

There's a handful of girls I always see at my gym that are incredibly hot. One of them looks like Katy Perry
with bigger boobs.

8798654.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My gym has all the pretty chicas you could ask for. Always makes me push myself just a bit more!

I actually hate it. I'd rather no chicks especially ones that look like their going to the club. Makes it harder to push myself, fucking hate distractions.

Cooter

I actually hate it. I'd rather no chicks especially ones that look like their going to the club. Makes it harder to push myself, fucking hate distractions.
Distraction? I feel like I'm performing!

They are not shy with their staring.

iddqd

It's fucking silly but I did TWO more sled pushes on Thursday just because a nice lady in shiny pants was doing stretches at the other end of the gym.

She probably thought it was super hot that a guy was running towards her with a sled every 60 seconds, squinting like a moleman and nearly tripping over himself.

ALSO:
Nothing worse then seeing something interesting on the other side of the gym only to realize that the woman is past 60. I should probably leave my glasses on before I get creepy.

Veezy

que?
The GOMAD diet is killing my stomach. Is there anything I can take to help with indigestion when on this diet?

GOMAD is stupid.

While it "works," it "works" the same way that using sandpaper to get rid of a zit would work. You'll get rid of the pimple, but you're gonna do so much damage to your face that you'll look worse than you did before. It might help you hit the calorie number but it's a ham fisted way to go about it. You'll just get fat and there are better ways to go about it that won't make you look so terrible a few months down the road.

If you really, honestly, wanna gain weight, here's the secret.

Take your current weight, multiply that shit by 16 and by 20. That's gonna give you two numbers. That's your caloric range. Those calories should be made up of....

50% protein (1g=4kcal)
30% carbs (1g=4kcal)
20% fat (1g=9kcal)
0% Alcohol (1oz=7kcal)

Do that between 5-6 meals, just because you're gonna be eating a lot. Position your carbs to be eaten before and after your work out and not any of the other meals. Don't worry so much specifically about fat because they're hidden throughout the day except on the last meal make sure you fit in a good 40-50% of your fat. Eat clean, no trans or sat fat. Weekly, weigh yourself and adjust the numbers. YOU EAT THIS MUCH EVERY DAY, NOT JUST SOME DAYS.

Days that you drink, which you shouldn't, but if you do, cut out all carbs and stick to straight liquor. Take your pic, doesn't matter which one. I'm a gin and whiskey drinker, myself.

Do that you'll put on weight and won't look like shit when you're done and your stomach will stop feeling like ass.

Chocobro

Their knees cave in slightly on the ascent from the squat because they do it on purpose to recruit the quadriceps more and not because they cannot squat without their knees caving in. Here is a person who advocates the knees in squat:

http://lifthard.com/more-info-about-china-and-the-chuanfu-squats/
Hmm I see, so that's interesting to know. My only concern is if it'll hurt me in the long term. I don't intentionally do it, my body just does it.
From what I understand, men with bigger hips (and typically most women because they naturally have wide hips) are physiologically predisposed to have their knees cave inward when doing things like running, jumping, pivoting, squatting, etc.

My knees too cave inward, like people say you need to be conscious of this when squatting and feel like you're pushing your knees outward. One other cue that I try to think about before squatting is I feel like I'm rotating my knees/quads outward a little bit, so it looks/feels like my knees are better lined up vertically with my thighs.

I saw an article somewhere that said the same thing about the hips and what you said. Sounds about right to me, my knees are pretty close when walking. And about that cue, I kind of do that when descending. Everything is lined up going down into the hole, just not when getting out of it.
--------------------------------------
AJanitor, where are you? :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That would be a problem then. I guess you get used to it playing baseball most of your young life.

The only sport I did was shot put. Was pretty decent at it too. If I remember right freshman year I threw 46ft. Not great, not really "good" but not terrible either. Not really a spectator sport. Was also the last year I did it.

Haha that happened to me when i ran the rack from all the way down to the 5s on db curls once. Its like something out of seinfeld. "IT WAS A DROP SET! I WAS IN THE POOOOL!"

Lol. We actually recorded a guy at th gym at the end of his back off sets to mess with him.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
What is the protocol on being sick and working out? I got sick and decided to take a couple days off. I am currently on my 4th day off from the gym and really want to get back but still have a runny nose.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What is the protocol on being sick and working out? I got sick and decided to take a couple days off. I am currently on my 4th day off from the gym and really want to get back but still have a runny nose.

Head cold go ahead and go. If you're contagious don't go. If you do you're a prick. Don't let any of those bullshit websites or gurus like LBEB tell you otherwise.

That's different if you own your own gym obviously n

Imm0rt4l

I legit haven't been sick since getting back to working out seriously in the gym 2 years ago. I typically get sick at least during season changes. It's strange, I'll feel that feeling like I'm about to get sick, but then it doesn't ever get bad. That immune system boost.

I wouldn't go if I could get others sick though.

_Isaac

I have some other stretching moves for hams and lower back, will try to do gifs later, maybe today at the gym.

me feet are separated by about 3 or 4 inches, but take your face between your knees as orientation, your cheeks should try touch the "tear" on your quads. it's rather easy when you are down in starting position but once you lift your butt, you are going to feel the pain lol, the point of the exercise is to not let go your ankles. Sometimes, I am able to have completely straight legs, unlike that gif I made.

Don't over do it, just make it part of your stretching moves and over time it will get better.

oh and there's a much harder variation (without holding ankles) with legs/feet crossed, one in front of the other... VERY hard, it feels like it can lead to an injury if done carelessly. will try to do a gif later today too.

Oh I see. It was really difficult doing it with my feet close together. My stomach and balls were all in the way. It's still difficult. I can't get my head so close to my knees. In your experience, how is this different than just trying to put your palms on the floor? Is it the back stretch?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I legit haven't been sick since getting back to working out seriously in the gym 2 years ago. I typically get sick at least during season changes. It's strange, I'll feel that feeling like I'm about to get sick, but then it doesn't ever get bad. That immune system boost.

I wouldn't go if I could get others sick though.

Thsts where I've been at for a while now. Almost, but not quite. Almost like it's just allergies.

moocow

I know some of you guys were down with natural peanut butter. I just bought some from costco(<3) and this is vile. Please give me some hints on how I am supposed to eat this.

Cudder

Been shedding weight (5 pounds lose in a month) and still hit a new PR on Deadlift
That's the way it should be. It's not like those 5lbs were pure muscle. If people do a 300-500 deficit cut there's no reason why you can't gain strength at the same time. Good job BTW.

Hmm I see, so that's interesting to know. My only concern is if it'll hurt me in the long term. I don't intentionally do it, my body just does it.

I saw an article somewhere that said the same thing about the hips and what you said. Sounds about right to me, my knees are pretty close when walking. And about that cue, I kind of do that when descending. Everything is lined up going down into the hole, just not when getting out of it.
--------------------------------------
AJanitor, where are you? :(

I would just do what you do naturally as long as the knees only cave in slightly (and not exagerratedly) on the ascent (and not the descent). If your body does not like this movement it will tell you, and then you can work on attempting to learn how to squat without caving in.

Personally, I tried to squat with a deliberate cave in but felt a little pinch in my knee when doing that so I moved back to my neutral squat (knees neither out or in) and it went away.

Layne is certainly on the top end of what's possible naturally i think. Someone said maybe a fake natty killed Jason's dog or something, hahah

On those Saturdays when kids go out and play, well i was up in the gym, doing upper body DAY

CLINK CLINK BOOM

Aw yeah. Hit 187 lbs (85kg) 1RM on the bench yesterday. First time ever! Had an epic moment with my gym buddy, when I was stalling halfway, he starting cheering "com'on!""You got this!""You're almost there!". Then felt a surge through my mind pressed the holy spirit outta that thing, while growling.

Haven't slept this good in a while.

I know some of you guys were down with natural peanut butter. I just bought some from costco(<3) and this is vile. Please give me some hints on how I am supposed to eat this.

I don't eat it on its own, I pretty much use it to make my protein shakes better

mt1200

I lost everything yesterday.

I went to shop some snacks to take to work at a local imported goods store, they had several good discounts on whole wheat muesli, chocolates and sweets that were almost expired, so I bought several Grisbi hazelnut wafers to give to my mom, and a cheap swiss muesli to have as breakfast. That was a huge mistake.

I tasted one wafer, and then craved onto several more, then I ate like the sugar/carb-starved pig I am and avoided gym to call it a cheat/rest day, or should I better call it high Diabetes risk day.

As for today, I don't know what to do, I already ate pancakes with tons of butter for breakfast and had 2 more Grisbi wafers (I won't ever buy them again). And on top of that, my mom is cooking her kickass Ajiaco today. I'm definetly going to gym later, and try to bike a long road on this afternoon if I have the time.

Sorry bruhs, but it's too hard to stick on a diet if you've been eating junk food and sweets all your life.

I went to shop some snacks to take to work at a local imported goods store, they had several good discounts on whole wheat muesli, chocolates and sweets that were almost expired, so I bought several Grisbi hazelnut wafers to give to my mom, and a cheap swiss muesli to have as breakfast. That was a huge mistake.

I tasted one wafer, and then craved onto several more, then I ate like the sugar/carb-starved pig I am and avoided gym to call it a cheat/rest day, or should I better call it high Diabetes risk day.

As for today, I don't know what to do, I already ate pancakes with tons of butter for breakfast and had 2 more Grisbi wafers (I won't ever buy them again). And on top of that, my mom is cooking her kickass Ajiaco today. I'm definetly going to gym later, and try to bike a long road on this afternoon if I have the time.

Sorry bruhs, but it's too hard to stick on a diet if you've been eating junk food and sweets all your life.
This is a key part of your journey my friend.

You need to stop worrying and regretting right now. It's done, you did it. It was bad, but so what? You can still keep going forward and back to your original plan and make progress.

When you are starting a journey in fitness whether it be weight loss, or bulking up. You will fail, you will fuck up. You are human and you cannot expect yourself to change your life around in a short amount of time.

When you fail, you shake it off and keep going. Don't dwell on it. Just try your damned hardest to not do it again. All is not lost, and you are not a failure or a terrible person for cheating or skipping the gym. Just keep at it!!!!

I failed countless times trying to lose weight before I ever lost a pound. Even when I started to take working out seriously... I gave into cravings. I ate the shitty foods at my Uni's cafeteria because it was there and smelled good, but I did my best to keep going and learn from my mistakes.

You are trying to develop new, healthier, habits in life. It takes time. Keep going. Before you know it you will be an entirely different person, inside and out.

SeanR1221

I swear this is my final post to you.

You are a beginner. Stop worrying about all these small details. Just focus on the big 4 lifts and make progress every week. And eat. And sleep. There. That's it. Stop worrying about the bicycle or being a sugar deprived pig.

JUST. FUCKING. LIFT.

Come back in 6 months (or before then with form checks) and then we can re evaluate things.

Edit- I look like a total dick after darth's post :-x

I just lack patience for people who ask for help, ignore the help and then complain when they don't get their desired results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom