• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fitness GAF! So I need some advice. I'm 22 and over weight (like 340 woah size). I want to change that! I started trying my best to squeeze in gym time (only have money to go to the local city sports complex gym sadly) as best I could ( I go around 3 days a week). I do the exercise bike for about 30min and then another 30min doing the weight machines. Tbh, I don't know what I am doing and the staff there dont offer training. A few days ago a guy approached me and offered to help me workout. So after my 30min on the bike, I work out with him. We do mostly stuff like jump squats with the medicine ball, punching bag, bicycle kicks, flutter kicks, etc. It is pretty basic right now because of how out of shape I am at the moment.

So I have two questions:

1. When I work out with my workout partner, I get tired REALLY fast. Like all my energy burns up and I get weak knees. I hate it because I'd like to push and do more by my body won't let me physically. In addition, allergy season is here so my asthma is here so I get out of breathe real easy. I do have my inhaler but it doesnt help much. We barely do a decent amount of reps because of this. Any tips for me to have more energy? I feel like I am getting nowhere because of it :/

2. Diet. A big boy's scary word lol. It needs to happen, I have accepted that. Currently my diet consists of: a bowl of cereal or a sandwich for lunch, an apple slices/cheddar cheese cubes/pretzel pack when I get home from the gym, and whatever my family cooks for dinner (however we do fastfood a lot now due to work - also I only eat two meals a day). I have done a little research but there are so many out there. So far the 5:2 and Keto diet catch my eye. Although, I had a acquaintance tell me that two shakes (I forget which) during the day and grilled chicken & salad for dinner does wonders. Any recommendations?

Goal-wise, I would love be ripped and be awesome at lifting. However, I'd like to concentrate on losing weight first so I can get out of the red zone heath-wise.

Sorry if this whole rant/bitch/post sounds off, its 3:40am here lol.

If this is the wrong thread for this question, i'm sorry and can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I'm a noob also, but here's my take

For energy wise have something like a small snack before going to the gym. For me, I take a cup or 2 of coffee (drinking one right now for AM gym).

Diet wise, Right now I'm doing slow progression not going over 2500 calories a day. I've lose 5lbs in a month already, and still eat things I like (wings, burger, buffet* once a week)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Fitness GAF! So I need some advice. I'm 22 and over weight (like 340 woah size). I want to change that! I started trying my best to squeeze in gym time (only have money to go to the local city sports complex gym sadly) as best I could ( I go around 3 days a week). I do the exercise bike for about 30min and then another 30min doing the weight machines. Tbh, I don't know what I am doing and the staff there dont offer training. A few days ago a guy approached me and offered to help me workout. So after my 30min on the bike, I work out with him. We do mostly stuff like jump squats with the medicine ball, punching bag, bicycle kicks, flutter kicks, etc. It is pretty basic right now because of how out of shape I am at the moment.

So I have two questions:

1. When I work out with my workout partner, I get tired REALLY fast. Like all my energy burns up and I get weak knees. I hate it because I'd like to push and do more by my body won't let me physically. In addition, allergy season is here so my asthma is here so I get out of breathe real easy. I do have my inhaler but it doesnt help much. We barely do a decent amount of reps because of this. Any tips for me to have more energy? I feel like I am getting nowhere because of it :/

2. Diet. A big boy's scary word lol. It needs to happen, I have accepted that. Currently my diet consists of: a bowl of cereal or a sandwich for lunch, an apple slices/cheddar cheese cubes/pretzel pack when I get home from the gym, and whatever my family cooks for dinner (however we do fastfood a lot now due to work - also I only eat two meals a day). I have done a little research but there are so many out there. So far the 5:2 and Keto diet catch my eye. Although, I had a acquaintance tell me that two shakes (I forget which) during the day and grilled chicken & salad for dinner does wonders. Any recommendations?

Goal-wise, I would love be ripped and be awesome at lifting. However, I'd like to concentrate on losing weight first so I can get out of the red zone heath-wise.

If this is the wrong thread for this question, i'm sorry and can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

95% of your weight loss goals will be diet related. Keto itself does wonders depending on the person - it's a fast way to drop a lot of weight and is good for mega-fatty status to get downgraded.

I'd recommend holding off on a lot of gym work besides light cardio and double down on your diet. Focus, it's misery, but fucking focus and you'll drop weight. Once you dump a good 60 lbs or such your mobility will be a LOT better in the gym and you'll also be able to focus better one thing at a time.

Make sure you do research. Throw out the cereal. Don't do things you "hear" about, but that's why you're here no? A lot of shit you hear about has no scientific basis as to why it would work, and therefore it doesn't. Everyone is different.

rage1973

So I have two questions:

You can try a combination of creatine, beta-alanine and caffeine to give you an extra boost during a wokrout. If you do not know anything about diet I do not suggest going into a ketogenic diet. It's a pretty strict protocol and you should learn the science behind the whole diet before you jump into something like that. Also if you plan to be in ketegenic state the entire time it will hurt your performance at the gym but there are some carb backloading protocols you can implement to offset that.

ACE 1991

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Do all variations; wide pulls, narrow, chins, close grip using the handle attachment. Keep shooting for more volume!

You do them during your back days though, right?

Back days (which is part of my upper body day) I do rows and pulldowns.

So I have two questions:

First, major props for taking the initiative to better your health.

Second. I'd wait with the cardio - bike riding - till after you're done with your weight lifting regime. The cardio could potentially be burning all the necessary energy you could've used on your main lifts/free weight exercises. I understand that you're large, but you can use all that mass to your advantage and start internally developing bigger muscles, whilst progressively lose weight by focusing on weightlifting instead. Read up on SS in the OP.

In short; lift first, then burn whatever excessive energy you got left on the bike.

Third. Clean your diet a bit more, take control and responsibility for making your own homecooked meals. It's very positive that you're taking the initial steps to eating better, and doing research, plus negating the food from your diet that's inappropriate for your weightloss. But the mentioned fast food, cereal, cheese and pretzels are pretty calorie dense, and impend your goal. If you don't feel ready for major clean up in your food inventory, make some slow shifts in switching a specific food product, untill you ultimately removed food products that aren't beneficial for your weight and body nutrition.

Fourth. Be careful with the asthma and all bro. Just make sure you're always near someone should something happen.

Guys, I can't do a single pullup. Fuck. I feel like a bitch.
Jumping into fitness was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Starting out I could barely do a pull up without feeling exhausted. I was a wimp. Lifting weights would leave me feeling sick for 10 minutes. You will get there if you keep at it. Fitness has been the best thing of my life.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've been doing weighted dips and they've made no difference :(

(went from 0 to 25kg, 8-10 reps).
Keep going up. How long have you been at it? Size takes time but it happens eventually.

Back days (which is part of my upper body day) I do rows and pulldowns.

Any particular reason you do pull downs instead of pull ups? I haven't done a pull down in 3 years.

Raide

Inherited a weights bar a few months back (Only 10kg) so I have been using that. A week or so ago I then was given 4x5kg plates, which does make me feel like I am working more.

I have noticed much improvement on my upper arms and chest. My legs have always been fairly big, so I don't feel I need that much work on them but I am currently trying to get rid of some of my belly fat through a changed up diet.

I know the weights are not huge but should I be using a bit more weight for my Deadlifts and Squats? I am guessing I really need to feel like I am working those muscles to get any benefit?

Inherited a weights bar a few months back (Only 10kg) so I have been using that. A week or so ago I then was given 4x5kg plates, which does make me feel like I am working more.

I have noticed much improvement on my upper arms and chest. My legs have always been fairly big, so I don't feel I need that much work on them but I am currently trying to get rid of some of my belly fat through a changed up diet.

I know the weights are not huge but should I be using a bit more weight for my Deadlifts and Squats? I am guessing I really need to feel like I am working those muscles to get any benefit?

What are your height, weight, and lifting numbers?

Raide

What are your height, weight, and lifting numbers?

5,5 for height.
Just over 10st (64kg according to the calc)
Working my way through the Starting stuff in the OP. Not sure if I should add more weight or do more reps.

My routine is a bit all over the place but I try and do something every day, along with some jogging and walking throughout the week.

I have always been fairly fit but a little skinny, so I wanted to develop myself before old age takes its toll. :D

5,5 for height.
Just over 10st (64kg according to the calc)
Working my way through the Starting stuff in the OP. Not sure if I should add more weight or do more reps.

My routine is a bit all over the place but I try and do something every day, along with some jogging and walking throughout the week.

I have always been fairly fit but a little skinny, so I wanted to develop myself before old age takes its toll. :D

What a coincidence! Those are pretty much the same numbers as me. Yea, try SS if you are new to lifting and never skip leg day! :)

You are going to shoot past the weights you currently have pretty quickly though.

Raide

What a coincidence! Those are pretty much the same numbers as me. Yea, try SS if you are new to lifting and never skip leg day! :)

I have been reading this thread on and off for ages. Some great advice but I can never quite get into a routine and keep it going. I have noticed improvements but I think I need to start focusing. The belly fat needs to go, so the diet tweaking seems to be something I am constantly aware of.

Had an accident at the gym today (no injuries luckily). Last set of close grip bench press, I go to re rack the bar and the one end of the bar clears the back stop.

Oops. There wasn't really an "Oh Shit" moment to it either, more like "Well this is happening" thought. The odd thing is I've used that exact bench and bar to cloes grip before and never had any issues.

rokkerkory

meal prep day guys:

organic chicken tenders, marinated in a bit of low sodium soy sauce, ms dash, S&P
organic onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and had some eggplant left so threw that in

start to finish in 20mins

1964901_10152214907438758_1795843731_n.jpg

served over some:

1620743_10152214918803758_1259834754_n.jpg

SeanR1221

Weird. Warming up on bench I got extremely dizzy at 135. Lasted with me the whole time too. Didn't put up nearly as many reps as I wanted on my working set and felt like stumbling a couple times. Maybe low blood pressure? Low blood sugar? Just not enough food? (I've barely eaten been running errands all day).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My son is gonna be a monster. He's 5 years old. Already has shoulders, pecs, abs, traps and his spinal erectors are huge. It literally looks like he's got my muscle mass and my wife's thin-ness.

I really really hope I can get him interested in lifting.

Weird. Warming up on bench I got extremely dizzy at 135. Lasted with me the whole time too. Didn't put up nearly as many reps as I wanted on my working set and felt like stumbling a couple times. Maybe low blood pressure? Low blood sugar? Just not enough food? (I've barely eaten been running errands all day).

Probably combination of everything.

Shit. I just woke up and it is snowing like hell already and today was my power workout "(

Not sure if I should try going to the gym or just give up and do some bodyweight exercise. There is a pullup tower in the fitness room so I may salvage some back and bicep workout.

And tomorrow will be worse, as if trying to move my routine one day wasn't trouble enough.

J. Bravo

Today is pump day. When I was struggling at 110 on seated row I knew I wouldn't be able to go heavy lol. That's what a breakfast of ramen and scrambled eggs gets you I guess.

There was a Dbz shirt posted in this thread a while ago, I think it was limited edition or on a site where they only sell a limited amount.

Anyone remember that?

SeanR1221

My son is gonna be a monster. He's 5 years old. Already has shoulders, pecs, abs, traps and his spinal erectors are huge. It literally looks like he's got my muscle mass and my wife's thin-ness.

I really really hope I can get him interested in lifting.

Probably combination of everything.

Yeah probably. I had a cup of oatmeal, mixed with whey and a chopped up quest bar. Still pretty dizzy I have to sit down. It's weird.

That's awesome about your son. When I'm a parent someday I really want my kid into fitness. If it's not weight lifting than any sport really. Don't want them to go through what I did being a fat kid/teen

First of all, thank you for all the responses!

I'm a noob also, but here's my take

For energy wise have something like a small snack before going to the gym. For me, I take a cup or 2 of coffee (drinking one right now for AM gym).

Diet wise, Right now I'm doing slow progression not going over 2500 calories a day. I've lose 5lbs in a month already, and still eat things I like (wings, burger, buffet* once a week)
I see. Do you drink your coffee black? Diet wise, did you cut out any foods?

95% of your weight loss goals will be diet related. Keto itself does wonders depending on the person - it's a fast way to drop a lot of weight and is good for mega-fatty status to get downgraded.

I'd recommend holding off on a lot of gym work besides light cardio and double down on your diet. Focus, it's misery, but fucking focus and you'll drop weight. Once you dump a good 60 lbs or such your mobility will be a LOT better in the gym and you'll also be able to focus better one thing at a time.

Make sure you do research. Throw out the cereal. Don't do things you "hear" about, but that's why you're here no? A lot of shit you hear about has no scientific basis as to why it would work, and therefore it doesn't. Everyone is different.

Yea, I know that my current diet is my biggest road block at the moment. I will do more research into the Keto diet. For now I will cut out bread, potatoes, pretzels, sugar drinks, and cereal. Workout-wise, I will do light cardio and some weights. I have noticed that I don't have back and shoulder pains anymore since I started doing light weights.

You can try a combination of creatine, beta-alanine and caffeine to give you an extra boost during a wokrout. If you do not know anything about diet I do not suggest going into a ketogenic diet. It's a pretty strict protocol and you should learn the science behind the whole diet before you jump into something like that. Also if you plan to be in ketegenic state the entire time it will hurt your performance at the gym but there are some carb backloading protocols you can implement to offset that.
Thanks for the mixture advice! From what I have researched, keto seems like a do-able diet for me. I just need to researched more on different meal ideas before I start it. Gym-wise, I have read to not workout for 2 - 3 weeks when starting the keto diet. That bothers me because I will feel like a lazy ass >.>

First, major props for taking the initiative to better your health.

Second. I'd wait with the cardio - bike riding - till after you're done with your weight lifting regime. The cardio could potentially be burning all the necessary energy you could've used on your main lifts/free weight exercises. I understand that you're large, but you can use all that mass to your advantage and start internally developing bigger muscles, whilst progressively lose weight by focusing on weightlifting instead. Read up on SS in the OP.

In short; lift first, then burn whatever excessive energy you got left on the bike.

Third. Clean your diet a bit more, take control and responsibility for making your own homecooked meals. It's very positive that you're taking the initial steps to eating better, and doing research, plus negating the food from your diet that's inappropriate for your weightloss. But the mentioned fast food, cereal, cheese and pretzels are pretty calorie dense, and impend your goal. If you don't feel ready for major clean up in your food inventory, make some slow shifts in switching a specific food product, untill you ultimately removed food products that aren't beneficial for your weight and body nutrition.

Fourth. Be careful with the asthma and all bro. Just make sure you're always near someone should something happen.

Hmm you are right, I will do the bike last then. I will read up on SS.

I will be cleaning up my diet asap! For sure I will be cutting bread, potatoes, pretzels, sugar drinks, and cereal. Since I usually only eat two meals a day, I am thinking a hamburger patty with cheese and bacon (no bun, maybe lettuce wrapped) with spinach for lunch and grilled or baked chicken breast and a salad (with a light dressing) for dinner. For snacks, probably just baby carrots. Currently the little road block I have in the diet department is money (unstable employment at the moment so I just eat what my family buys). However, I will be starting a much better stable job in May so I will do my best with what I have for now.

Will do! Thanks for the advice again.

Thank you all again for the replies!

velociraptor

Keep going up. How long have you been at it? Size takes time but it happens eventually.
I think I've been doing weighted dips for several months.

I guess CGBP, tricep pulldowns, weighted dips should be enough for my tricep needs right? I do about 3 sets of 8-12 reps each.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Finally putting pullups back in my routine. It is rough, especially after deadlift but it really is something I should be doing.
I've recently added them as well, after my deadlifts too. The wide grip kind with full range of motion. I'm up to 3x8 with no assisting weight. Lifting weights is nice and all but there's something that feels more raw and practical about being able to lift myself up like that.

Cooter

I guess CGBP, tricep pulldowns, weighted dips should be enough for my tricep needs right? I do about 3 sets of 8-12 reps each.
Great. I personally like to really up the weight and try to max out at 3-3-5 reps for a few but it's more of a preference thing.

rokkerkory

I am adding weighted dips too now. I don't really work arms so this will be good for summer.

sphinx

the piano man
Finally putting pullups back in my routine. It is rough, especially after deadlift but it really is something I should be doing.

I do the pullups before deadlifts,

my grip is waaay to fucked up (even with liquid chalk) after deadlifting to be able to do anything that requires good grip like pull-ups.

Cooter

I'm supersetting DLs and pull ups right now. Almost done. This is the first time I've supersetted these two and I'll be damned if I don't feel close to passing out!

Go_Ly_Dow

wide grip pull ups after my DL's too!

although DL's wear me down so much I can only usually squeeze out 6 reps a set instead of my usual 8-10. Therefore I do 4 sets instead of 3.

Cooter

Good lord! Help me.

Shit!

225x15 DL + 10 pull ups
275x10 + 10
315x8 + 10
365x6 + 10

All in about 30 min.

demented

Cold turkey or gradual drop of sugary stuff?
I'm kinda addicted to sugar (chocolate, pancakes, all sort of candy) and for past few weeks that I've been going to gym I've slowly started dropping it but sitll have small bit almost every day but I wanna cut it out completely. How do I go about this and not get cravings all the time? Gotta get ready for that summer.

And what's the general opinion about cheat day? I don't mean one where you go crazy but can eat a pizza or some pancakes, shit like that? I'm not really aiming for single digits bf anyway but still want to maximize my gainz and efficiency of diet.

I'm kinda addicted to sugar (chocolate, pancakes, all sort of candy) and for past few weeks that I've been going to gym I've slowly started dropping it but sitll have small bit almost every day but I wanna cut it out completely. How do I go about this and not get cravings all the time? Gotta get ready for that summer.

And what's the general opinion about cheat day? I don't mean one where you go crazy but can eat a pizza or some pancakes, shit like that? I'm not really aiming for single digits bf anyway but still want to maximize my gainz and efficiency of diet.

Master yourself.

How did you get so wise? Is it the glasses? Smart move.

Yeah, it is very hard for me right now. Did 4 sets of 5. That's it lol. Things will get better over time.

I do the pullups before deadlifts,

my grip is waaay to fucked up (even with liquid chalk) after deadlifting to be able to do anything that requires good grip like pull-ups.

For the pullups, I use straps. And I gotta do my deadlifts first. Want to get the most out of them.

I prefer a cheat meal as opposed to a cheat day. That being said, the amount of food I eat during a cheat meal can be like a cheat day lol. I usually just go by feel. Some days I want pancakes so I will make them along with my eggs. Others will be muffins or raisin bread. As long as you are smart with it, you are fine.

delicious!

demented

Yeah I meant cheat meal too, maybe I'll use it as an award for some achievement. I really missed gym, now I wanna go all the time :D
Mine isn't open on Sundays so I gotta shift my 2 days on 1 off(but do cardio) around that. Also going on 4 day trip next week and planned those rest days on travel dates(do some walking/running tho) and gonna do gym on 2 other days! Dedication :3

P.S. I'd be already off anything sugary if my grandma, who lives next to me, wasn't offering/forcing me stuff every day, keep telling her not to but yeah, lol.

Visceir

My main weakness were soft drinks -- I found a good replacement for them in amino1 bcaa-s (5 kcal) and vitamin tablets that liquify in water. Perhaps try to see if you can find some healthy alternatives?

First of all, thank you for all the responses!

I see. Do you drink your coffee black? Diet wise, did you cut out any foods?
Black coffee with sweetner.
I tend to work out fasted or not eat until lunch time i tend to save my heavy eating @ dinner (1500 calories)
The only thing i cut from my diet is carb (rice and bread). I do eat carbs 2-3 times a weak but mostly steamed broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom