• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannis

Why do people always ask "What do you bench?"

Just once, I'd love for some one to ask "What do you overhead press" or "How much do you deadlift".

despire

Just once, I'd love for some one to ask "What do you overhead press" or "How much do you deadlift".

Because people don't know what OHP or deadlifts are.

On another note, down 3kg/6,6lbs in one week. Hard to say how much is water since it's been dropping very steadily. Initial drop was only a 2lbs or so even after a depletion workout.

Also had this weird ass dream last night where I was eating some bread and was just starting with a huge bowl of cereal. Suddenly I realized that I was on a diet and shouldn't eat any of this. After some thought I dumped the cereal and bread in to the trash. I guess my diet mentality wins even in the dream world.

Go_Ly_Dow

"What's a OHP and deadlift"?

"Yeah I squat 225" (what they fail to mention is they squat using the smith and also have no idea how much the smith bar weighs)

demented

My main weakness were soft drinks -- I found a good replacement for them in amino1 bcaa-s (5 kcal) and vitamin tablets that liquify in water. Perhaps try to see if you can find some healthy alternatives?
Any tips for Nutella alternative? I think it's just sugar for me so I need to drop it completely. I also looove cakes of all kind.

Petrie

Banned
Well GAF, snagged an early copy of the South Park game and the snow was coming down yesterday so my girlfriend and my plan to hit the gym early turned into 12 hours of gaming and Domino's Delivery.

Hopefully I can turn that into gains today instead!

Chocobro

Any breakfast recommendations? I've been eating 1-2 potatoes, depending on size, and 4 eggs ever since around September or October of last year and I want to change things up.

Servbot24

Banned
Day 1 of UD2.0...10am and I'm already up to 40 carbs and still feeling hungry... This is going to be brutal month. Unfortunately it seems like most of my favorite healthy foods are relatively high carb - oatmeal especially, I used to eat two giant bowls a day.

Cause everyone knows bench and everyone benches.

EVERYONE.

Any breakfast recommendations? I've been eating 1-2 potatoes, depending on size, and 4 eggs ever since around September or October of last year and I want to change things up.

oatmeal or scrambled egg muffins

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well GAF, snagged an early copy of the South Park game and the snow was coming down yesterday so my girlfriend and my plan to hit the gym early turned into 12 hours of gaming and Domino's Delivery.

Oh there'll be gains alright :p

sphinx

the piano man
I am not a fan of bringing random internet articles to the thread but I thought this one could be a good opportunity to have an interesting discussion.

the site lists 6 Exercise Machines you should do without and tries to explain why. While men's Health isn't the most reputable source, I think we all agree these exercises have often been questioned in many different sites, not only in this one.

.- I agree with 2,5 and 6. Avoid the machines for those

.- I sorta disagree with 1. Leg extensions aren't meant to be a high weight exersice in the first place and I personally enjoy it. Squats are far more taxing and harder on my knees. should I avoid squats now??

.- not happy to admit but I kind of agree on chest flies. I've never had a problem so far but there are better exercises, exactly those the articles suggests. I like them though :/

.- disagree on the seated abd/adductor machine part. Again, this is mere assitance and shouldn't be high weight. I've never ever felt anything on my spine, I've gotten good gains from those and the solution the articles suggest, walking with the band around my legs, doesn't sound like anything I'd like to do, at all.

ACE 1991

god damn dude you're making want to save the rest of my 2000 calories for today for a pizza...

Shadybiz

I do use the pulldown machine for behind the head pulls on rare occasion. I have been avoiding the leg extensions and the Smith machine. I do see this one really stacked dude using the Smith sometimes. Have never seen him do regular BB squats. I don't say anything, because who am I, but it's weird knowing that this beast would probably be even stronger than he already is if he just changed that one thing.

I had cravings this weekend. Ate a cheesesteak and half a pepperoni pizza on Saturday. On Sunday...finished the rest of the pizza. Massive gains comin' today.

Edit; Sorry ACE..didn't mean to provoke you further :)
it was good...it was damn good.

Petrie

Banned
god damn dude you're making want to save the rest of my 2000 calories for today for a pizza...

Well worth it!

Especially when the huge bathroom time you take in the morning tells you that of your 5000 cals that day, there's no way your body processed anywhere near that!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've never done behind the neck pull downs. My understanding was that it can be a dangerous movement with little reward. Please enlighten me to the benefits.

abuC

Day 1 of UD2.0...10am and I'm already up to 40 carbs and still feeling hungry... This is going to be brutal month. Unfortunately it seems like most of my favorite healthy foods are relatively high carb - oatmeal especially, I used to eat two giant bowls a day.

It gets easier, get some apple cider vinegar to curb your hunger and load up on water and cottage cheese when you're feeling hungry.

The first two weeks are horrible, but once you get into the groove it gets easier. Personally, Thursday was always the hardest day for me.

It gets easier, get some apple cider vinegar to curb your hunger and load up on water and cottage cheese when you're feeling hungry.

The first two weeks are horrible, but once you get into the groove it gets easier. Personally, Thursday was always the hardest day for me.

Heh Thursday was always the EASIEST, just knowing the pre-workout protein bar and carb load were a few short hours away kept me motivated and energetic.

Sadly none of us are unique snowflakes and it does take a couple weeks to get used to it/figure things out. Depletion blows ass the first time but agreed, once you adjust it goes from death to just exhausting.

So I'm in the DC area, snowed in, nothing but a crap hotel gym. guess it's just gonna be an extra rest day :p Actually I guess I'll do some cardio and eat a couple extra scoops of ice cream for dessert. Yay for bulking!

Shadybiz

I've never done behind the neck pull downs. My understanding was that it can be a dangerous movement with little reward. Please enlighten me to the benefits.

Heh, couldn't tell you, really. I used to think it was a good exercise for shoulders. My old high school football coach told us to do those (many years ago), so we did.

I'm much better now, though. I actually haven't done those in several months; ever since I started doing OHP, I haven't seen a need for it.

I'll counter by saying "What do you squat?". Ya I'm probably an asshole but I hate being asked how much I bench. In the larger picture its not even in the top three most important lifts I do.

yeah, i'm kind of over bb bench press at the moment. i really want to get my ohp up and ill probably use dbs for flat and incline bench for a few weeks before going back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First cheat meal on my 3 month cut. Spicy fajita wrap. A couple fries. Tossed most of it out. I'm content. As long as I don't make this a habit I'm good. Made it one month with no cheats, heck yeah.

Can anyone point me to a good high bar squat video? I"m looking at bar placement, mostly (I suspect mine is a little high or a little low).

entremet

Cause everyone knows bench and everyone benches.

EVERYONE.

oatmeal or scrambled egg muffins

This is followup from your NYC trip.

Restaurants:

Asian
Momofuku Ssam Bar/Noodle Bar
Minca
Ippudo
Fatty Crab

Italian
Birreria

Pizza
Patsy's
Co.
Artichoke

American
Blue Smoke

French
Balthazar/Patis

Treats and Sweets
Doughnut Plant
Levain Bakery
Bouchon Bakery

Just Google/Yelp these and you'll get a feel for them. But these are some of my favorite places.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Anyone here have any experience with hernias? If so, I'm curious to know how long it was before you could go back to working out full force. I know everyone will heal a bit differently, but I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'll counter by saying "What do you squat?". Ya I'm probably an asshole but I hate being asked how much I bench. In the larger picture its not even in the top three most important lifts I do.
Well it's definitely 4th then right behind forearm curls, calve raises, and tri kickbacks!

blackflag

I am not a fan of bringing random internet articles to the thread but I thought this one could be a good opportunity to have an interesting discussion.

the site lists 6 Exercise Machines you should do without and tries to explain why. While men's Health isn't the most reputable source, I think we all agree these exercises have often been questioned in many different sites, not only in this one.

.- I agree with 2,5 and 6. Avoid the machines for those

.- I sorta disagree with 1. Leg extensions aren't meant to be a high weight exersice in the first place and I personally enjoy it. Squats are far more taxing and harder on my knees. should I avoid squats now??

.- not happy to admit but I kind of agree on chest flies. I've never had a problem so far but there are better exercises, exactly those the articles suggests. I like them though :/

.- disagree on the seated abd/adductor machine part. Again, this is mere assitance and shouldn't be high weight. I've never ever felt anything on my spine, I've gotten good gains from those and the solution the articles suggest, walking with the band around my legs, doesn't sound like anything I'd like to do, at all.

I absolutely disagree with number 1. If you are just lifting for strength then yeah probably but I don't think that is the audience for their magazine. I love extensions after my squats and leg presses. I'll do supersets with 1 leg for 12 reps then the other for 12 reps then both to failure. I do like 4 of those rotations. Destroys my legs. and I've noticed gains since I started doing them .

This is followup from your NYC trip.

Restaurants:

Asian
Momofuku Ssam Bar/Noodle Bar
Minca
Ippudo
Fatty Crab

Italian
Birreria

Pizza
Patsy's
Co.
Artichoke

American
Blue Smoke

French
Balthazar/Patis

Treats and Sweets
Doughnut Plant
Levain Bakery
Bouchon Bakery

Just Google/Yelp these and you'll get a feel for them. But these are some of my favorite places.

Thanks! And the first place I Googled is Doughnut Plant.

It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

expect a ton of pics, gonna get my Szu on. Need to get a new camera as well.

Is there gonna be any gains with doing 1 rep of heavy lifting?

of course but you better be on point with your routine.

entremet

Thanks! And the first place I Googled is Doughnut Plant.

It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

expect a ton of pics, gonna get my Szu on. Need to get a new camera as well.

of course but you better be on point with your routine.

LOL. Got a sweet tooth, FallingEdge?

The cool thing is that you buy single serve bottles milk at the place to go with your sweet. They also have great coffee and coffee based drinks.

I actually get asked how much I curl once in a while

....problem is I curl like 25's because I like the low weight high rep arm pumps so I don't worry about how much I do when it comes to curls so no one is ever impressed by my numbers

LOL. Got a sweet tooth, FallingEdge?

The cool thing is that you buy single serve bottles milk at the place to go with your sweet. They also have great coffee and coffee based drinks.

Out of all pastries/sweets/etc, doughnuts are by far my fav. I can destroy a dozen donuts without even blinking. It just makes me so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom