• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Goal weight of 205-210, haven't been any lower than 215 in the last few years.

I'm going to lean out big time, even if it costs me a bit of size since I'm starting to look like a powerlifter which is no bueno.

So all this talk about 5/3/1 and not being ideal has me wondering if I should try something new once I've gotten all I can get out of the modified SS I've been running. As much as it will pain you guys my focus currently is on upper body gains as I'd like to get closer to the beach body and arms I've wanted, meaning I want to keep strength but getting bigger is the primary idea, and maybe treat lower body as not unimportant, but secondary. What do you guys think would be a good program to jump to if I were to forego 5/3/1 this time around?

Don't look at 5/3/1 "not being ideal". Look at it being the program you want to do in your current situation. For many, 5/3/1 is fantastic. For others, they may be wanting more. I'm currently doing it right now but I'm just looking to maintain. Maybe get stronger if it happens. I like the idea of doing 5/3/1 for my main lifts and then just doing whatever the fuck I want afterwards. This may change in a few months but I am going to stick with it for now.

Petrie

Banned
Don't look at 5/3/1 "not being ideal". Look at it being the program you want to do in your current situation. For many, 5/3/1 is fantastic. For others, they may be wanting more. I'm currently doing it right now but I'm just looking to maintain. Maybe get stronger if it happens. I like the idea of doing 5/3/1 for my main lifts and then just doing whatever the fuck I want afterwards. This may change in a few months but I am going to stick with it for now.

I'm just wondering if it's the right program given the way my goals have changed. I want to maintain and perhaps gain some strength, but outside of that my goals are motivated by vanity. I want a 6-pack and biceps. I'm not willing to ignore the healthy goal of increased strength to do it, but I'm also happy with my 225 bench for reps, 315 squat for reps, and 445 deadlift for reps now to the point where if they increase slower but my body does more of what I want visually, I'll be thrilled.

I'm just wondering if it's the right program given the way my goals have changed. I want to maintain and perhaps gain some strength, but outside of that my goals are motivated by vanity. I want a 6-pack and biceps. I'm not willing to ignore the healthy goal of increased strength to do it, but I'm also happy with my 225 bench for reps, 315 squat for reps, and 445 deadlift for reps now to the point where if they increase slower but my body does more of what I want visually, I'll be thrilled.

Ah gotcha. Maybe look into Layne Norton's PHAT or some other hypertrophy specific program. Texas Method is focused on strength and will bust your ass on squats.

also, saw this on reddit lol

vMe9FER.jpg

Petrie

Banned
Ah gotcha. Maybe look into Layne Norton's PHAT or some other hypertrophy specific program. Texas Method is focused on strength and will bust your ass on squats.

Yeah I've just gotten to the point where through SS and 5/3/1 my chest is there, back is looking decent, shoulders are good, etc, but my arms don't look like a guy who lifts. I know it's vain but fuck it, I'm allowed to focus on something different for a bit.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Honestly, there's little need for 70-100lbs dumbbells. At that point, use the bench, there's flat, incline and decline.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Honestly, there's little need for 70-100lbs dumbbells. At that point, use the bench, there's flat, incline and decline.
False. I was thinking about joining a gym and then saw their DBs stopped at 100 pounds. Deal killer.

I wouldn't be able to do flat DB, incline DB, DB rows, shrugs, ect.... Yeah, I could get by but why should I have to?

abuC

My gym has DBs all the way up to 200lbs, even though I'll never use them it's good that the option is there. I have used heavy DBs for flat & incline, and if a gym only had 60s I wouldn't even bother signing up.

False. I was thinking about joining a gym and then saw their DBs stopped at 100 pounds. Deal killer.

I wouldn't be able to do flat DB, incline DB, DB rows, shrugs, ect.... Yeah, I could get by but why should I have to?

predator.gif

Szu

also, saw this on reddit lol

vMe9FER.jpg

Did some research and found out this is a city in Canada.

Fuckin' Canada.

Christ on a cracker. Anyone ever felt ashamed of being proud of something they feel like they ought to be ashamed of?

Stupid, I know, but this past Saturday I did something I never did before...rep with a pair of 45's on decline. Rep with a pair of 45's on a barbell at all, for that matter. I'm finally at a spot where I'm repping with a pair of 70's on my incline and flat DB bench too.

So I'm mildly ashamed that I'm proud of what I did even though I know I'm LTTP in growing muscle. Onward and upward, however. I've got MUCH farther to go, and now I need to take a step back food and sleep-wise to plan meals and get in bed earlier. Growing muscle hasn't been a problem, but I feel like the 10 lbs I've gained since then is bulking me up a bit much.

Does anyone have any input on gaining lean? Please don't tell me I have to eat chicken and tilapia with broccoli/brown rice for a year. Please.

Pete Rock

Does anyone have any input on gaining lean? Please don't tell me I have to eat chicken and tilapia with broccoli/brown rice for a year. Please.
Close, you gotta eat chicken and kale with broccoli and quinoa for a year.

Everything's relative, celebrate gains because that's what they are, yours alone.

"All alone, just the beat inside my soul"

Was that really necessary?
I wouldn't say any of this is necessary, but it's generally interesting. I would tend to agree with you on principal, but that doesn't invalidate folks who do choose to use heavy dbs by any means. Don't take it personal.

Petrie

Banned
I wouldn't say any of this is necessary, but it's generally interesting. I would tend to agree with you on principal, but that doesn't invalidate folks who do choose to use heavy dbs by any means. Don't take it personal.

Show me how you're going to do heavy farmer carries with a barbell and we can have this discussion.

These tools serve different purposes.

Pete Rock

Show me how you're going to do heavy farmer carries with a barbell and we can have this discussion.

These tools serve different purposes.
Agreed, I was really only speaking to his examples of "flat/incline/decline" at those weights or higher when I suggested "in principal". In "reality" it doesn't work that way, farmer carries are a great example as to why. I personally do them with a trap bar, same for shrugs. It is more precarious for me to unrack two 100+ lb dumbbells, even independently, than it is to load the trap bar.

Close, you gotta eat chicken and kale with broccoli and quinoa for a year.

Everything's relative, celebrate gains because that's what they are, yours alone.

"All alone, just the beat inside my soul"

I do love kale, it goes well with vinegar and chicken (which is another lunchtime favorite of mine. Quinoa though...I knew eventually I'd have to take the plunge. Might as well do it sooner than later.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Yes. When people post silly, blatantly false information in here, they need to be called out on it. We can't have that nonsense in this thread.

Currently, I go to two gyms. Both have 100lbs plus dumbbells and all they do is collect dust. Anecdotal, but still. Few people use them in all the gyms I've been to.

We can have a smart conversation without resorting to "dumb" comments. I said little use, not no use.

Petrie

Banned
Agreed, I was really only speaking to his examples of "flat/incline/decline" at those weights or higher when I suggested "in principal". In "reality" it doesn't work that way, farmer carries are a great example as to why. I personally do them with a trap bar, same for shrugs. It is more precarious for me to unrack two 100+ lb dumbbells, even independently, than it is to load the trap bar.

How in the hell are you doing farmer carries properly with a bar?

Currently, I go to two gyms. Both have 100lbs plus dumbbells and all they do is collect dust. Anecdotal, but still. Few people use them in all the gyms I've been to.

We can have a smart conversation without resorting to "dumb" comments. I said little use, not no use.

Then have a smart conversation. Don't make blanket false statements.

The squat racks in most gyms go unused as well, with smith machines being busy all the time. Does that mean squat racks are of little use and smith machines fill all those needs?

Cooter

My buddy and I used the 100s, 105s, 110s, and 130s just yesterday. After we were done a guy came and used the 100s and 110s. The fact that few use them doesn't validate a gym not carrying them. They are very useful and a must at any gym I belong to.

Petrie

Banned

And now I feel silly. I somehow took "trap bar" to mean ez curl bar, and you could see why that'd be confusing!

My buddy and I used the 100s, 105s, 110s, and 130s just yesterday. After we were done a guy came and used the 100s and 110s. The fact that few use them doesn't validate a gym not carrying them. They are very useful and a must at any gym I belong to.

Yup. It should be a goal for people to need them. I can't wait to need something heavier than 70s when I DB bench and such.

Cooter

Where do you guys put your feet when bench pressing? I've been stalling out between 200-210 (3x5), and I'm looking to tweak my form to make it happen. I notice that, in this video, Omar keeps his on his toes. I've never done this before, so I'm wondering what everyone else here likes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jZ3aCVc5HE
I push down with the balls of my feet. When you say you stall at 200-210 for 3x5 do you ever bump it up to 225 or 235 and go for 2 or 3?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Where do you guys put your feet when bench pressing? I've been stalling out between 200-210 (3x5), and I'm looking to tweak my form to make it happen. I notice that, in this video, Omar keeps his on his toes. I've never done this before, so I'm wondering what everyone else here likes:

Again showing why I cannot stand this dude. That is a shitty ass setup and his form is garbage. Not to mention the fact he's not warming up how he's doing the work sets.

He has absolutely no leg drive like that. He's not positioned on his traps and his arch is limp as hell.

J. Bravo

For bench, I did smolov Jr.

For deadlift, I did Magnusson/Ortmayer. You could also check out Coan/Phillipi as well.

For squat, smolov Jr. or Ed Coan.

You could also look into German Volume Training for any of the three.

And there is nothing wrong with 5/3/1. If you are still getting work out of it, keep going!

dope, thanks for the info. might do 5/3/1 for upper body and something else for legs.
would i have any issues with doing smolov(jr) for bench and squat at the same time?

rando14

Again showing why I cannot stand this dude. That is a shitty ass setup and his form is garbage. Not to mention the fact he's not warming up how he's doing the work sets.

He has absolutely no leg drive like that. He's not positioned on his traps and his arch is limp as hell.

I agree with Shogun, I'd recommend working on your form and make sure you're positioned on your traps properly, and work on leg drive (assuming you're going for numbers)

I'm still a noob at weight lifting.

Today while doing the bench press I noticed that one of my wrists was bending and/or twisting at a weird angle, and I don't think it was good, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it and still be able to lift the bar. Anyone have any tips for this? Or a video you can point me to or something?

Thanks.

Chocobro

Basically what Jonnie Candito does in his video about leg drive in the bench press. Feet flat on the ground as far back as possible.

rando14

I'm still a noob at weight lifting.

Today while doing the bench press I noticed that one of my wrists was bending and/or twisting at a weird angle, and I don't think it was good, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it and still be able to lift the bar. Anyone have any tips for this? Or a video you can point me to or something?

Thanks.

You want to be really careful about aggravating your wrists when doing bench press. Seems like you should work on strengthening your forearms as it seems that they're failing and your wrists are failing as a result.

Cooter

My shoulder is feeling great! Time to show all these new people at my gym what a muscle up looks like! Squats, pull ups, and muscle ups for me tonight and I'm out. Shouldn't take more than 35-40 minutes.

You want to be really careful about aggravating your wrists when doing bench press. Seems like you should work on strengthening your forearms as it seems that they're failing and your wrists are failing as a result.

That's a bummer. How can I strengthen my forearms? Seems like a difficult body part to isolate. And should I put off bench pressing until then?

dope, thanks for the info. might do 5/3/1 for upper body and something else for legs.
would i have any issues with doing smolov(jr) for bench and squat at the same time?

If you want to do smolov jr bench and squat at the same time, that should be fine but it really is up to you. When I did smolov jr for bench, all I did was bench. Then at the end of the workout I did light delt work and rows. Benching 4 times a week was rough. Especially doing the 3x10.

rokkerkory

My shoulder is feeling great! Time to show all these new people at my gym what a muscle up looks like! Squats, pull ups, and muscle ups for me tonight and I'm out. Shouldn't take more than 35-40 minutes.

Nice... pls don't scare them all away though.

So with it being my final week at work, everyone is trying to take me out to lunch not to mention the going away party this Thursday.

Welp, guess my diet is out the window this week.

Cooter

So with it being my final week at work, everyone is trying to take me out to lunch not to mention the going away party this Thursday.

Welp, guess my diet is out the window this week.
I know it's hard for guys like us but you can control your portions. I know you have it in you FE!

rokkerkory

I wish it was that easy. This year's crop has brought in an unusually high amount of D-bags.

My gym has filled up as well... weird because I thought the new year's folks would have dropped out by now... maybe it's the gotta look good for summer folks are coming in.

Everyone is pretty nice at my gym though because it's a work gym, so they are professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom