• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
My friend and I are 1 month into a pact with each other. I have until April 1st to gain weight and get up to 150 pounds. My friend is losing weight down to 150. I started at about 129, and am only up to 134 after one month. So I'm not doing too hot. I don't think I'll reach goal, but will be happy if I even see 140 (which I've never seen in my life). But I'm trying to get as close as possible. I'm just doing terrible at getting my full calorie intake for the day. I'm at work 44 hours a week, and really need to come up with something I can eat while there for one of my meals.

I took before pictures, that I was about to post. And I just found out my girlfriend accidentally deleted them off of her camera. And now I'm sad.

You're doing terrible because that's an incredibly unhealthy amount of weight to put on in such a short timeframe. Stop.

My friend and I are 1 month into a pact with each other. I have until April 1st to gain weight and get up to 150 pounds. My friend is losing weight down to 150. I started at about 129, and am only up to 134 after one month. So I'm not doing too hot. I don't think I'll reach goal, but will be happy if I even see 140 (which I've never seen in my life). But I'm trying to get as close as possible. I'm just doing terrible at getting my full calorie intake for the day. I'm at work 44 hours a week, and really need to come up with something I can eat while there for one of my meals.

I took before pictures, that I was about to post. And I just found out my girlfriend accidentally deleted them off of her camera. And now I'm sad.

I'm going to echo Petrie's post.

Why would you do a one month goal of gaining 21 pounds? Unless you're taking PEDs there is no way in shit you'll be putting on nearly enough muscle to make it worthwhile considering all the fat you're adding. I... just really don't understand why you'd set such a short-term, unattainable goal. Bump the timeline up to at least 6-12 months and you've got yourself something that is doable.

Well apparently an intake of 5 cups of brussel sprouts will make you destroy the toilet the next day.

The morning shits is one of the best feelings in the world.

I'm going to echo Petrie's post.

Why would you do a one month goal of gaining 21 pounds? Unless you're taking PEDs there is no way in shit you'll be putting on nearly enough muscle to make it worthwhile considering all the fat you're adding. I... just really don't understand why you'd set such a short-term, unattainable goal. Bump the timeline up to at least 6-12 months and you've got yourself something that is doable.

yeah 21 lbs in one month, no bueno. Depending on how much is noob gains, I could see 3/4 months but one month? No way. No reason to at all.

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone else ever suffered from extreme fatigue the day after an intense workout despite getting a decent amount of sleep (7.5 hours) and eating as normal?

Went nuts with dl's > pullups > bb row > ohp > pull ups > curls yesterday and have felt exhausted all day. (can only manage 2 days this week so doing 2 intense workouts to make up for it)

just echoing others, you need to take a step back, because what you're doing isn't healthy or sustainable.

about 7-8 years ago i went from 135 - 152 in about 6-7 months because i was getting surgery to have my jaw wired shut. i probably would have hated myself if i tried to pack on the weight that quickly. plus, i was a college student so i could sleep in and get work out and eat whenever i wanted to; but you're working full time, which means you probably don't have adequate time to rest (mentally and physically) daily. i would hope this isn't like a blood pact or something lol

ACE 1991

Do bodyweight programs actually work well? I'm thinking of starting one in late May because I will not have access to a gym from May 19- September 7. I almost rejected the internship because of the gainz....

Do bodyweight programs actually work well? I'm thinking of starting one in late May because I will not have access to a gym from May 19- September 7. I almost rejected the internship because of the gainz....

lol

do not reject an internship because of the gym

why cant you go to the gym? can't go after work?

ACE 1991

lol

do not reject an internship because of the gym

why cant you go to the gym? can't go after work?

I know, I didn't reject it. It just crossed my mind for a split second lol. I'm not 100% positive that I won't have access to a gym but sincerely doubt it. I'm interning in a remote area of the Catskill mountains. It really depends on whether nor not the group housing is close enough to anything.

I know, I didn't reject it. It just crossed my mind for a split second lol. I'm not 100% positive that I won't have access to a gym but sincerely doubt it. I'm interning in a remote area of the Catskill mountains. It really depends on whether nor not the group housing is close enough to anything.

Ah, I see.

Yeah man, if you really can't get access to a gym for those 3-4 months, I wouldn't sweat it.

Szu

Go train in the mountains.
iUQb036qCXYV.gif

BW workouts are a reasonable alternative.

So I'm looking to develop more of my upper pecs so does that just mean more incline work? Anything in particular I should be trying or doing more of?

what kind of internship is this, if you don't mind me asking?

also, Szu's got the right idea. you're in the mountains; run up steep inclines, do pullups on a tree branch, lift logs and boulders and get some real mountain man strength and come back wearing flannel and sporting a grizzly adams beard.

Anyone else ever suffered from extreme fatigue the day after an intense workout despite getting a decent amount of sleep (7.5 hours) and eating as normal?

Depends on if you slept few hours/like shit the night before. For some people it's like:

Sleep like shit/only a few hours, somehow feel ok, workout, get normal sleep, feel like you got run over

ACE 1991

what kind of internship is this, if you don't mind me asking?

also, Szu's got the right idea. you're in the mountains; run up steep inclines, do pullups on a tree branch, lift logs and boulders and get some real mountain man strength and come back wearing flannel and sporting a grizzly adams beard.

Its a conservation/back country stewardship internship. Alternatively I may do a mix of BW fitness and maybe a trip twice a week on days off to a gym if I can find one that's an hour or so away. They give a healthy weekly allowance so I'm not concerned about gas money.

Skinpop

it's really amazing how much better I feel since I started training one month ago. First two weeks I had constant headaches and bad stomach from the training but now, especially the hours after training I feel like I'm high on something. I just lie down on my sofa with a smile on my face enjoying the warm fuzzy feeling.

An unexpected side effect of this change in lifestyle is that I have a very hard time sleeping on days I don't go to the gym. It's like I have an energy reserve that didn't get expended. Kinda sucks since I already have other sleeping problems since before.

Hey Fitness-Gaf. Longtime lurker here. Just figured I'd jump in and see if I can learn anything from some of the more experienced folks who post here. I'm about a week into my current routine, and am feeling the positive momentum. I'd like to keep that up, so I'll try to post my progress here if that's cool. First, the vitals:

Height: 5'8''
Weight: 201 lbs.
Goal Weight: 155 lbs.

So basically, I am quite overweight at the moment. Actually, I got up to 214 lbs last year before my daughter was born, which blew my mind, as for years, 194 was my all time high even while eating like shit. 155 is low for me, but I've hit it a couple times in my life and even then, my body fat % wasn't too low, so I really need to try to build a little muscle if possible.

I've opted to go with Starting Strength despite being in a caloric deficit, because I've read that gains are still possible for noobs, and especially with high body fat. I've only lifted on and off for a few months at most over the years, so my strength has never really been where I wanted it to be. I swam throughout most of my younger years as well as played some basketball, with my lower body seeming to gain the most out of that. I'm loving the squats and DLs so far. My bench and overhead press are somewhat lacking however. I'm figuring I would just try to add as little as possible each workout. This sort of sucks because the current chain gym I am a member at doesn't have 1 1/4 plates. They also only have one squat rack, thought it doesn't seem to get too much use when I'm there. I'm thinking of checking out another gym in the area that I've gone to in the past, as I seem to recall they place a much greater emphasis on the free weight section.

Diet is me trying my best to stick to a Primal type eating system. Low carb, but I'm thinking of doing a fruit/protein smoothie before workouts or even an egg and potato breakfast if I have time. I'm keeping track of things with myfitnesspal and gunning for weight loss of 2 lbs a week. I have a feeling that I'm going to run into problems with SS with that type of deficit. I really want to lower my body fat as quickly and safely as possible, but not making any gains will likely make it hard to stay motivated.

So that's pretty much where I am at the moment. Wish me luck I guess and any comments are surely appreciated. I'm particularly interested in if anyone has had positive experiences with SS while in a caloric deficit.

SeanR1221

Remember I had that dizzyness Sunday? Well on and off I've had these really dull headaches from when I wake up until I go to bed.

I seriously don't know what the heck is going on. I'm supposed to squat today and I'm still moving forward with that. If it gets really bad tonight or doesn't clear up I'll have to make a doctors apointment.

sphinx

the piano man
So I'm looking to develop more of my upper pecs so does that just mean more incline work? Anything in particular I should be trying or doing more of?

I'd be happy to read about this as well. So far I've been using the plate loaded machine that resembles incline bench press. The reason I don't use a barbell is because apparently I am too small for germans, I dont "fit" when I am laying on the bench, the bar is like several inches far behind and it's just wrong... :-/ should probably go DB but I have this problem that I don't know how to get into position with a weight worth lifting... will probably get into that,

First two weeks I had constant headaches and bad stomach from the training but now, especially the hours after training I feel like I'm high on something.

I remember my fist month or so of doing a couple of push-ups and small things and my body hurt horribly, I can't quite remember what kept me going...

but now, (*cue arnold)...the pump!... hhmm, feels good... is like eating or sex or something as good.

The more compound a move is, the better. If I am on, I feel soooo much release after squatting,

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fourth Storm, sounds like you're ready and have done a lot of your homework. Don't be afraid to add some calories and carbs on workout days though if you feel exhausted!

Szu

Depends on if you slept few hours/like shit the night before. For some people it's like:

Sleep like shit/only a few hours, somehow feel ok, workout, get normal sleep, feel like you got run over

This sort of happened to me last Friday. I started my workout with OHP. I felt fine warming up. But once I tried to get started, I wasn't feeling it. I trudged through the rest of the workout. It was a shitty week for me sleepwise.

When I got home, I felt tired after dinner, so I decided to take a nap at around 9:30 pm. The nap turned into a 15 hour hibernation.

rokkerkory

Okay guys, end of 2nd week of cut. Starting to feel lack of energy now. Down about 6-800 calories a day, mostly from carbs.

Today is leg day too =(

Raide

Upside to doing more weights...I feel healthier and stronger. More confidence is also a bonus!

Downside to doing weights...all my suits are starting to feel tighter on the chest, so I need to buy more.

Szu

Upside to doing more weights...I feel healthier and stronger. More confidence is also a bonus!

Downside to doing weights...all my suits are starting to feel tighter on the chest, so I need to buy more.

Yeah, it's gonna suck when this happens.
tumblr_inline_mt5dvb3Abt1qgejf2.gif

Pete Rock

I'm loving the squats and DLs so far. My bench and overhead press are somewhat lacking however. I'm figuring I would just try to add as little as possible each workout. This sort of sucks because the current chain gym I am a member at doesn't have 1 1/4 plates.
This is typical for SS as it is bottom heavy or focused, considering you squat first every session and a heavy squat will take more out of your bench then a heavy bench will take out of your squat. But you don't really need to be worried about that right now, just be aware that it is typical for those two lifts to be lagging on that program. Your entire body is going to benefit from pushing squats every session and you need that overall developmental focus early on.

Nowhere is going to have 1.25 lb plates. You are going to have to buy them and pack them in your bag if you want to move up in 2.5 lb increments instead of 5.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well FitGaf... I'm dying early. The thread in OT about the high protein and low carb study confirms it. I knew all this vigorous exercise, high consumption of meat and veggies, and large amount of water I drink would catch up with me eventually.

Pete Rock

I knew all this vigorous exercise, high consumption of meat and veggies, and large amount of water I drink would catch up with me eventually.
Your knees are shot and so are your kidneys! Might as well go ahead and sign up for spinning and zumba classes, your fate is sealed.

Cooter

Your knees are shot and so are your kidneys! Might as well go ahead and sign up for spinning and zumba classes, your fate is sealed.
My gym has this new Les Mills Body Combat class too! Might as well embrace my future. And here I thought seeing all these family members live long and healthy lives meant something for my future. I feel like an idiot!

Dany

Banned
Which one should I do? I'm looking at everything on bodybuilding and I'm getting confused what works best. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and was underweight for a stretch. Now I'm 150 lbs and I maintain that with a steady diet and I run 30 minutes every morning. I tried working out buy I didn't have a routine so I has mild results. I had tendonitous on my right elbow last October and it feels recovered so I want to get back in it eith an actual routine.

I like the look of insanity since its cardio but I guess my main goal is to gain muscle with somewhat maintaining my weight.

My bmi is 21.5 if that gives you all any perspective.

SeanR1221

Which one should I do? I'm looking at everything on bodybuilding and I'm getting confused what works best. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and was underweight for a stretch. Now I'm 150 lbs and I maintain that with a steady diet and I run 30 minutes every morning. I tried working out buy I didn't have a routine so I has mild results. I had tendonitous on my right elbow last October and it feels recovered so I want to get back in it eith an actual routine.

I like the look of insanity since its cardio but I guess my main goal is to gain muscle with somewhat maintaining my weight.

My bmi is 21.5 if that gives you all any perspective.

The routine in the op

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well my hamstrings definitely aren't a weak point. I did 5 sets if 10 strict on the glute ham raise when all I've heard on efts is that most people can't even do one "good" one.

Fourth Storm, sounds like you're ready and have done a lot of your homework. Don't be afraid to add some calories and carbs on workout days though if you feel exhausted!

Thanks, yeah I'm going to experiment with timing my meals and try to work out in the A.M. so as to try and avoid entering the gym in a depleted state. I know going in fasted is supposedly beneficial for weight loss, but I can't imagine I'll be able to keep making gains without some carbs for fuel.

This is typical for SS as it is bottom heavy or focused, considering you squat first every session and a heavy squat will take more out of your bench then a heavy bench will take out of your squat. But you don't really need to be worried about that right now, just be aware that it is typical for those two lifts to be lagging on that program. Your entire body is going to benefit from pushing squats every session and you need that overall developmental focus early on.

Nowhere is going to have 1.25 lb plates. You are going to have to buy them and pack them in your bag if you want to move up in 2.5 lb increments instead of 5.

Cool, good to know my low upper body numbers aren't too anomalous. Lower body is more important for what I want to do anyway, although my own vanity still prioritizes upper. I'm sure my whole body will be worked even so, as you said.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to shop online for those plates.

Gaf are these (calories/protein/carb) numbers in a decent realm or not?

Backstory: I'm currently 32 years old. I became super fat ass over 10 years (from 180 to 430), have lost 170 of it so far in about 16 months, currently 260 looking to get 80 off.

I am eating 2000 calories and working out about an hour a day (mostly cardio). And I alternate weights every other day, and I do this 6 days a week.

I was thinking daily protein about 100-130 grams, and daily net carbs under 150, (100 would be best, but I dont know if I can do that)...

?

Go_Ly_Dow

think my fatigue may be linked to my high sugar consumption. tends to occur a within 1-2 hours of eating something sugary.

really need to get on my shit and cut down how much i consume. can't deny i may have a strong addiction to it.

sphinx

the piano man
think my fatigue may be linked to my high sugar consumption. tends to occur a within 1-2 hours of eating something sugary.

really need to get on my shit and cut down how much i consume. can't deny i may have a strong addiction to it.

Hey M_Night have you ever tried the Haagen Daz Macadamia Nut Brittle Ice cream?

If you haven't, DO NOT try it!

You read me? Do NOT go near the light of the fridges in the ice cream isle in the super market.

rokkerkory

Well FitGaf... I'm dying early. The thread in OT about the high protein and low carb study confirms it. I knew all this vigorous exercise, high consumption of meat and veggies, and large amount of water I drink would catch up with me eventually.

As opposed to eating junk and such amirite? You'll live much longer? lol

Thanks, yeah I'm going to experiment with timing my meals and try to work out in the A.M. so as to try and avoid entering the gym in a depleted state. I know going in fasted is supposedly beneficial for weight loss, but I can't imagine I'll be able to keep making gains without some carbs for fuel.

anecdotally, i work out at 5am m/w/f, i guess you can say i'm fasted. but the night before, i do try to bump up the carbs and eat a little later than normal, maybe even before bed.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey M_Night have you ever tried the Haagen Daz Macadamia Nut Brittle Ice cream?

If you haven't, DO NOT try it!

You read me? Do NOT go near the light of the fridges in the ice cream isle in the super market.

fuuuuuu!!!!1

the hard part is that I'm trying to gain weight so I don't feel the pressure to hold back like others!

Been cutting since Feb 1st. Went from 178lbs on my bulk at my heaviest, prob about 13-15% now hovering to about 11-12% at 170. Stopped the bulk 2 weeks early because I store fat in uneven places on my body which made me uncomfortable. I always felt bloated when I went out and my jeans looked funny on me. Been only doing cardio on weekends. Cardio consisted of about 25 min of HIIT on the treadmill. Also having 1 cheat meal a week. Feels good to see my serratus again. Next is the adonis belt

Most of the muscle I have put on is in my chest and legs. I have trouble fitting into my jeans now. Feels bad mang. I have been at 170 for 2 weeks now and feels like I am just burning fat while adding muscle now.

My only problem area is that annoying stubburn fat in the lower back love handle areas. Deadlifting 3X a week has been reducing them. I figure if I am not at about 10% by April, I will start doing HIIT cardio post workout or come back to the gym later

Cudder

3x5 @ 320lbs on squats last night. This shit is getting hard. I barely made those last reps, and I'm sure some of them were sloppy. Don't know how much more I can increase the weight on squats.

Cooter

3x5 @ 320lbs on squats last night. This shit is getting hard. I barely made those last reps, and I'm sure some of them were sloppy. Don't know how much more I can increase the weight on squats.
At some point the weekly gains will stop. It sucks but it's part of the game. Don't get discouraged and keep pushing!

Nice work Samurai. I've slowed my cut down. There's no reason for the urgency I realized. I increased my calories a bit and I'm gonna see how that goes. Last week I felt my energy and strength leaving me and I will not stand for that. Worked too hard to get it. As summer approaches I'll shred the last remaining percentages.

SeanR1221

Your current stats are my year end goal. Basically I wanna be cudder by January.

sphinx

the piano man
another question to everybody who has been lifting for a while:

do you remember how long it took you to have the strength to bench your own bodyweight for 5 reps? at what month or year after starting training did it happen?

Cudder

Your current stats are my year end goal. Basically I wanna be cudder by January.

:')

At some point the weekly gains will stop. It sucks but it's part of the game. Don't get discouraged and keep pushing!

Not getting discouraged really. Ever since September I've been increasing the weight on everything and getting weekly PR's. All good things must come to an end. :')

:')

rage1973

My testosterone numbers came in and it's not terrible but it's not great either.
510 Total and 7.1 Free.
My vitamin D level seems at the bottom of the range so starting that 5k IU supplements should help that and hopefully help my T level as well.
I might try supplementing DHEA to help boost T level as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom