• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
:')8======D

8d0.gif

SeanR1221

Possible I also take a ZMA before going to bed so hopefully that works for me.

My wife and mom (nurses) both think that makes sense. It would explain why I'm so light sensitive too. Gonna stop taking it completely for a few days and see if I clear up. Still gonna squat tonight but I'll just take my time

rage1973

My wife and mom (nurses) both think that makes sense. It would explain why I'm so light sensitive too. Gonna stop taking it completely for a few days and see if I clear up. Still gonna squat tonight but I'll just take my time

I don't know where you live but you can also get vitamin d by getting more sun as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
on an actual machine?

I would love to try on a real machine.

On an actual legit glute ham raise. Yes.

We just got one in the gym last week. First time ever using one. Love it

I've been taking 5k IUs a day for nearly a year. No problem. But I also supplement with magnesium every few days too.

Chocobro

I recorded my bench press for the first time ever. Got 3x5 at 100 lbs, the weight I deloaded from before. So here's the video. Opinions on my setup? What should I change?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I recorded my bench press for the first time ever. Got 3x5 at 100 lbs, the weight I deloaded from before. So here's the video. Opinions on my setup? What should I change?

Not enough of an arch, no leg drive, not settin up on your traps/upper back. This is gonna sound mean, but you're just flopping around on the bench when you set up.

When setting up drive with your heels into the ground and pin your upper back/traps to the bench. You should feel all I the weight there. This setup you're doing looks like the result of watching that dumb as shit Omar I surf video.

Yes, I meant to do that with his name.

SeanR1221

I want you to picture this. Someone is in your face yelling at you and you want to push them away. Do you get all floppy like a fish and push? No! You flair your lats, tuck your elbows and push. Now picture doing that laying on the bench.

Mr.City

Second what Brolic (Shogun) said. Also, you seem like a skinny guy with long arms. Those two qualities usually make benching difficult due to the leverage.

You don't sound like you're whining to me. If I got hurt from weather, I'd be pretty mad too, especially if it was leg day.

Hope it gets better quick.
I really appreciate the support. I was so down about it yesterday. I got in there today and finally, after weeks of babying my lower body... had an epic leg day. Felt so fucking good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Loving this advice for Chocobro, because my bench form looks pretty much exactly like his (only difference is hand position on the bar). No wonder I've been stuck at 140 for over a month.

Chocobro

Not enough of an arch, no leg drive, not settin up on your traps/upper back. This is gonna sound mean, but you're just flopping around on the bench when you set up.

When setting up drive with your heels into the ground and pin your upper back/traps to the bench. You should feel all I the weight there. This setup you're doing looks like the result of watching that dumb as shit Omar I surf video.

Yes, I meant to do that with his name.

No worries about sounding mean Brolic, I was expecting it and I like the honesty. And yeah the setup is a result of watching his how to BP video months ago; it seemed right to me because a lot of places said to have shoulder blades back and down and Omar showed it in a lot of detail. I was flopping around a lot in that set because it sometimes got difficult to get my shoulder blades back and down.
I'll definitely give what you said a shot and hopefully be able to record it. A question though, is feeling the weight there a result of going down higher on the chest instead of the sternum? Do you have any YouTube links or articles I can refer to as supplemental information to fix my setup? I should also go back a few pages for your BP video.

I want you to picture this. Someone is in your face yelling at you and you want to push them away. Do you get all floppy like a fish and push? No! You flair your lats, tuck your elbows and push. Now picture doing that laying on the bench.
Thanks for the imagery, Sean. I'll see if it can work next time I bench.

Second what Brolic (Shogun) said. Also, you seem like a skinny guy with long arms. Those two qualities usually make benching difficult due to the leverage.
That will most likely be the case in the long run. I'm working on my weight though; I weighed about 130lb back in September, I weighed in at 140-142 last week.

Loving this advice for Chocobro, because my bench form looks exactly like his. No wonder I've been stuck at 140 for over a month.
We'll work on it together! :)

EDIT: Brolic, how is this set-up video? Seems to be inline with what you outlined.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Look on YouTube for "so you think you can bench."
It's a series of videos breaking it all down.

Following it 100% isn't tr answer. But it will tell you what you need to be looking for/doing.

Also look up "the spot athletics bench press"

JL holdsworth is a wealth of information.

SeanR1221

After finishing my squats today a guy came up, looking disgusted, and started putting weight on. I told him I didn't know he needed the rack and I never mind working in. He then goes on to tell me I take too long every week and I shouldn't be doing that. I just looked at him blankly and told him just ask to work in next time.

I don't understand why some people are so miserable.

After finishing my squats today a guy came up, looking disgusted, and started putting weight on. I told him I didn't know he needed the rack and I never mind working in. He then goes on to tell me I take too long every week and I shouldn't be doing that. I just looked at him blankly and told him just ask to work in next time.

dafuq, what a douche

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Much nicer than my response which would have been go fuck yourself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'd have told that mother fucker to shove his attitude up his ass. I pay the same dues he does and am entitled to use the equipment equally. If he needs to use the equipment when I am he can ask to work in. Otherwise shut the fuck up and be a bitch somewhere else.

It's not like you were benching in a squat rack while he's waiting to squat.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I don't often train at the local commercial gym but when I do it's generally with two or so friends. It's a pretty big place but there's only one power rack and one bench. Apparently people frequently complain "that group is hogging the rack/bench and they all take too long"; people who don't train for strength/train properly in general simply don't understand waiting 5 minutes between heavy sets. You'd think that watching a group of people take turns to do their sets and swapping plates for each other would give them some ideas, but apparently asking to work in is too much, so they just complain instead.

SeanR1221

Heh I tend to remain calm in confrontational situations, especially since I spend a big chunk of my day traveling around teaching social skills to kids.

Guy threw 185 on, was short of depth and had serious lower back rounding. Ah well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heh I tend to remain calm in confrontational situations, especially since I spend a big chunk of my day traveling around teaching social skills to kids.

Guy threw 185 on, was short of depth and had serious lower back rounding. Ah well.

Give shit, get shit.
Upon seeing that you should have told him next time while he's waiting pay attention to a proper squat.

On an actual legit glute ham raise. Yes.

We just got one in the gym last week. First time ever using one. Love it.

extremely jealous

I prolly would have responded in the same way. Didn't know that you wanted the rack and say something next time. Work in and go from there.

Cudder

lmao. the thought of him in some far corner of the gym watching you angrily every week and waiting for you to finish your squats is funny as hell to me.

i hope you know this means you have to take twice as long now, right?

Throw on a few sets of curls after your squats next time you see him waiting. That'll teach him!

A set of 8 @ 375 lbs for squats. And that was after doing 4 x 12 @ 325 for hack squats. While I'm not making gains, I am maintaining my strength and it feels great. Lower body anyway.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A set of 8 @ 375 lbs for squats. And that was after doing 4 x 12 @ 325 for hack squats. While I'm not making gains, I am maintaining my strength and it feels great. Lower body anyway.
Man FE, I've never tried 375 for 8 but I'm pretty sure that's out of my range. Damn son! Nice work.

J. Bravo

^ edit: wow, holy shit. that is a big man. and incredible squat.

love how 8 @ 375 is maintaining strength. nice job.

i really want to lift this week but i'm taking it easy/off in preparation for the weekend, fake patty's day, and starting smolov jr on monday for two lifts...

it's amazing how perfectly everything lined up with this being a deload week for 531, fake patty's this weekend, classes beginning monday so i have an excuse to not play ball, and starting smolov on monday. hell yeah can't wait.

haha thanks guys. I really do need to record it though. I'm sure I'm not getting as deep as I could and feel like I can do more.

Lifting belts are an amazing thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
^ edit: wow, holy shit. that is a big man. and incredible squat.

love how 8 @ 375 is maintaining strength. nice job.

i really want to lift this week but i'm taking it easy/off in preparation for the weekend, fake patty's day, and starting smolov jr on monday for two lifts...

it's amazing how perfectly everything lined up with this being a deload week for 531, fake patty's this weekend, classes beginning monday so i have an excuse to not play ball, and starting smolov on monday. hell yeah can't wait.

I may be off base. But isn't smolov highly intense for a specific movement? I wouldn't recommend doing smolov for two movements at the same time.

haha thanks guys. I really do need to record it though. I'm sure I'm not getting as deep as I could and feel like I can do more.

Lifting belts are an amazing thing.

The other problem is if you're engraining a bad pattern "shallow squats" no matter how good it gets you're gonna be weak when you finally go back to fix the issue. I'd definitely record it. Even if it's only for you.

So is there a certain time in which your body says "I need a belt asap"? Im up to 225 on my squats and 275 on dl. I want to get away with not using a belt as long as possible.

J. Bravo

I may be off base. But isn't smolov highly intense for a specific movement? I wouldn't recommend doing smolov for two movements at the same time.

The other problem is if you're engraining a bad pattern "shallow squats" no matter how good it gets you're gonna be weak when you finally go back to fix the issue. I'd definitely record it. Even if it's only for you.
I can make it through 3 weeks of eating and sleeping right I think. we'll see how it goes. but you are correct, smolov jr is stupidly intense.

Look on YouTube for "so you think you can bench."
It's a series of videos breaking it all down.

Following it 100% isn't tr answer. But it will tell you what you need to be looking for/doing.

Also look up "the spot athletics bench press"

JL holdsworth is a wealth of information.

Thanks for posting this. I was doing bench ALL wrong. No traps, leg drive, arch, etc. Just flat back, loose legs and no tension anywhere near my back or lower body.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is there a certain time in which your body says "I need a belt asap"? Im up to 225 on my squats and 275 on dl. I want to get away with not using a belt as long as possible.

Jesus... impressive gains, man. Didn't you just get started last month or so?

You're doing terrible because that's an incredibly unhealthy amount of weight to put on in such a short timeframe. Stop.

I'm going to echo Petrie's post.

Why would you do a one month goal of gaining 21 pounds? Unless you're taking PEDs there is no way in shit you'll be putting on nearly enough muscle to make it worthwhile considering all the fat you're adding. I... just really don't understand why you'd set such a short-term, unattainable goal. Bump the timeline up to at least 6-12 months and you've got yourself something that is doable.
just echoing others, you need to take a step back, because what you're doing isn't healthy or sustainable.

about 7-8 years ago i went from 135 - 152 in about 6-7 months because i was getting surgery to have my jaw wired shut. i probably would have hated myself if i tried to pack on the weight that quickly. plus, i was a college student so i could sleep in and get work out and eat whenever i wanted to; but you're working full time, which means you probably don't have adequate time to rest (mentally and physically) daily. i would hope this isn't like a blood pact or something lol
No No No. I mentioned in my original post (but I obviously did a shitty job of making it clear) that I'm already one month in. We started about the 3rd week of January, and set our goal at April 1st. Hopefully that sounds less crazy for me to gain about 21 pounds in that time frame. However, I'm also not dead set on that goal. It's sort of like "This is what I'd like and what I will shoot for" but I'm not killing myself over it or anything. I read somewhere that the limit for healthy amount of weight gained/lost a month is about 10 pounds. Would everyone agree, or is that still a little crazy? I honestly have no clue about any of this stuff.

Just to throw on also...I'm 6 foot 1 and was about 129ish pounds when I started. I only ever ate 2 meals a day (if you count cereal in the morning a meal). I'm already feeling much more energized getting myself to eat 3 complete meals a day, with snacks in between. My average calorie intake a day ranged from 1400 to 1700 calories. Right now, I'm using MyFitnessPal and aiming for about 2500 calories a day.

Rookje

Ugh are my lifts are all out of whack, or what?

DL: 365
Bench: 195
Squat: 235
OHP: 135

(5'9, 160)

My squat was pitiful, but I increased it a ton recently. I account some of it due to holiday weight gain (some of that was muscle, cause I just eat more... even if it was dirty). Then all of my lifts went up, including my DL which was like 300ish before.

sphinx

the piano man
Ugh are my lifts are all out of whack, or what?

DL: 365
Bench: 195
Squat: 235
OHP: 135

(5'9, 160)

My squat was pitiful, but I increased it a ton recently. I account some of it due to holiday weight gain (some of that was muscle, cause I just eat more... even if it was dirty). Then all of my lifts went up, including my DL which was like 300ish before.

how many reps here? at 160 lbs, those are very good numbers, IMO.

despire

Ok this might be a stupid problem to have but for a while now I've been trying to find the best picture to use for reference when estimating ones bodyfat level. There's too much variation between each set of pictures you find with google..

Can someone tell me which one of these is the most accurate? Or if you have a better one then please share..

body-fat-percentage-men-1.jpg

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

tumblr_m6mgxiFt7a1r5jht7o1_1280.jpg

Men-Body-Fat.jpg

bodyfat-chart-visual-men.jpg

Petrie

Banned
No No No. I mentioned in my original post (but I obviously did a shitty job of making it clear) that I'm already one month in. We started about the 3rd week of January, and set our goal at April 1st. Hopefully that sounds less crazy for me to gain about 21 pounds in that time frame. However, I'm also not dead set on that goal. It's sort of like "This is what I'd like and what I will shoot for" but I'm not killing myself over it or anything. I read somewhere that the limit for healthy amount of weight gained/lost a month is about 10 pounds. Would everyone agree, or is that still a little crazy? I honestly have no clue about any of this stuff.

Just to throw on also...I'm 6 foot 1 and was about 129ish pounds when I started. I only ever ate 2 meals a day (if you count cereal in the morning a meal). I'm already feeling much more energized getting myself to eat 3 complete meals a day, with snacks in between. My average calorie intake a day ranged from 1400 to 1700 calories. Right now, I'm using MyFitnessPal and aiming for about 2500 calories a day.

Nope. In 3 months 21lbs is still an absurd amount of weight to gain which is why you aren't on pace to achieve it. The pace you're on now is the right one. 21lbs would be 1.75lbs a week, most of which is going to be fat. That is not what you want, nor healthy.

yogloo

Well FitGaf... I'm dying early. The thread in OT about the high protein and low carb study confirms it. I knew all this vigorous exercise, high consumption of meat and veggies, and large amount of water I drink would catch up with me eventually.
I knew it!!! You are a mouse!!!!
Well played well played.

Szu

another question to everybody who has been lifting for a while:

do you remember how long it took you to have the strength to bench your own bodyweight for 5 reps? at what month or year after starting training did it happen?

Hmmm, that's good question. I never thought about it.

My first real introduction to the bench was in high school. I think I was about 16 or 17. I probably weighed about 180 lbs. I just fooled around with the weights at this point in my life. I remember my first time benching about 100 lbs, but I recall benching my weight by the end of the semester (so about 6 months time). It might have been more than 5 reps, but it's been so long that my feeble mind can't go back that far.

On a related note, I pretty much passed most of my college time with video games and fast food. I ballooned up to about 240 lbs. I didn't get back into the gym until I was 27. I lost weight and gained strength. After about two years, I slimmed down to about 185 lbs. I recall that I was definitely able to bench my weight for over 10 reps at that point. I think I was also able to bench my initial 240, but I can't remember if I could get 5 reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom