• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Can you imagine a gym filled with nothing but people in FitGaf?! This is a strong group. I rarely see anyone OHP 135 and we have people weighing 160 doing it! Keep it up guys!

I still think my OHP is shitty. I'm at 145X5 across sets. It's such a hard lift to get progress on.

I still think my OHP is shitty. I'm at 145X5 across sets. It's such a hard lift to get progress on.

OHP is insane, but incredibly satisfying. I was trying to hit a 7th rep on my third set at 145, and I felt like I was going to have an aneurism. My legs were quivering and my face was beet red--intense!

Do you own 1.25lb micro plates?

Gruco

Banned
Injured myself deadlifting today. Felt a snap in my lower back and immediately dropped the weight. It still hurts over an hour later and I can't even imagine what kind of pain I am going to be in tomorrow.

It's particularly frustrating because I deliberately set super low starting points after coming back from vacation to avoid something like this. Last few weeks were fine, warm up sets were fine. If anything that might have contributed to the problem - I probably let myself get complacent instead of staying super mindful about form. I think the problem was the I basically just tried to whip it up with my lower back alone instead of recruiting the entire posterior chain.

This is probably just my super-frustrated talk right now, but I am considering just quitting on deadlifts and squats and a starting stength program in general. I got hurt a couple times from squats a few months ago so it sucks to have something like this happen just as I felt I was getting things back under control.

entremet

Injured myself deadlifting today. Felt a snap in my lower back and immediately dropped the weight. It still hurts over an hour later and I can't even imagine what kind of pain I am going to be in tomorrow.

It's particularly frustrating because I deliberately set super low starting points after coming back from vacation to avoid something like this. Last few weeks were fine, warm up sets were fine. If anything that might have contributed to the problem - I probably let myself get complacent instead of staying super mindful about form. I think the problem was the I basically just tried to whip it up with my lower back alone instead of recruiting the entire posterior chain.

This is probably just my super-frustrated talk right now, but I am considering just quitting on deadlifts and squats and a starting stength program in general. I got hurt a couple times from squats a few months ago so it sucks to have something like this happen just as I felt I was getting things back under control.
Are you doing touch and go deadlifts? Or are you restarting and repositioning each rep?

Touch and go look cool I must admit, but they can easily injure you and also create systemic weaknesses by neglecting the pulling portion due to momentum.

Mik2121

Woke up to this this morning:

kBghsLb.jpg

(体脂肪率 = Body Fat)

The thing is, I feel like I have a bit more than that. It was early in the morning so I assume my slight dehydration did "help" here. Anyway, was happy to see it after staying at around 15% for so long. However I still didn't start my "cutting" part. I'm still trying to bulk a bit (not as heavy as you guys though!) and I've gone from 69kg in January to 72kg now. I will try to stick to 72-73kg and keep my body fat at 10% or so.

Mik2121

What kind of machine is that?

It's probably not the most accurate kind of machine. It's a weight with a couple of those scanner things where you put your feet and it calculates your weight (obviously), body fat and BMI (which I don't care about). However it's been quite accurate, at least when I compare it to the machine I use at my gym (similar to this but you also hold another thing with your hands).

I don't remember the exact model though, but it's a US or Europe brand, not Japanese (the UI is all in Japanese though because I bought it here).

Husker86

It's probably not the most accurate kind of machine. It's a weight with a couple of those scanner things where you put your feet and it calculates your weight (obviously), body fat and BMI (which I don't care about). However it's been quite accurate, at least when I compare it to the machine I use at my gym (similar to this but you also hold another thing with your hands).

I don't remember the exact model though, but it's a US or Europe brand, not Japanese (the UI is all in Japanese though because I bought it here).

They may give similar results to each other (hand and feet methods) but they are both inaccurate. Probably decent for monitoring trends, but not the actual percentage.

My scale says I'm at like 8%....
I'm likely in the 14-16% range

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
how do you put 135lbs around your waist for dips?
A weight belt. There is a chain that connects and you slide it through the center. The plates hang between your legs. It's a challenge getting it up to your waist though.

Szu

Not really much of any progress so far. I do finally feel confident enough to start lifting some real weight again, but I'll post what I got.

4l9MVjV.jpg

ZEmsB7c.jpg

Random High Kick
dPr7w4D.jpg

Hopefully, I recover enough to resemble myself again. I don't think I'll ever get close to the monsters levels of some of the god-tier members of FitGaf. Currently, I'm at this level, but I'll keep pushing on.

BDnYYcL.jpg

PsGwMXt.jpg

tSBo4FI.jpg

A weight belt. There is a chain that connects and you slide it through the center. The plates hang between your legs. It's a challenge getting it up to your waist though.

I want to make a joke about how big your balls must be to put that much weight up for dips, and as such it may be easier for you to just wrap the belt around your balls... But I cannot think of a non-awkward way to phrase it.

Good stuff Szu. Those high kicks in particular always make me extra jealous.

spootime

Not at all Brolic, I'm just comparing advice and discussions to videos I've watched in addition to looking more into the sources you referred me to.

What I noticed in the "so you think you can bench" series is that in the end, the guy is on his toes when benching. AFAIK the being on your toes is against USAPL rules like I mentioned before, that's what they were referring to as the "extreme PLing BP" (due to the foot positioning), the "end result bench form" I mentioned in the previous post, so in that sense it is "wrong" for us. But everything else in the series was great and informative. I also watched JL Holdsworth's bench set up video, which was helpful for the two set ups that had heels flat on the ground.

I asked for your opinion if Candito's or Bryce's set up is bad since they found it to be similar to mine.

I didn't invalidate or dismiss your advice or the information you forwarded me. Overall it is pointing me in the right direction to fix up my bench set up and I intend to do what you suggested me.

Its funny how much of a difference tucking your toes in versus using heels makes on bench. I feel like my bench goes up a solid 10-15 pounds when I tuck my toes.

I could use some programming advice (with Greyskull LP as the basis). Here's what my week looks like:

Monday:

Bench Press 200x2x5 1x5+
Curls (EZ Bar): 40x12x2
Squat: 290x2x5 1x5+
Dips
Chin-Ups

Wednesday

Overhead Press 147.5x2x5 1x5+
Dumbbell Rows 85x2x8
Deadlift 325x1x5+
Chin-Ups

Friday looks like Monday--Squats are always M/F, while DLs are always on W)

Now, nothing seems horribly wrong with what I'm doing, but it still seems slightly inadequate. As someone coming off of SS, it feels weird not doing three compound lifts a day, and this is making me want to add/modify some accessory workouts. At a glance, what other lifts could I be doing? Where should I integrate them? Would it behoove me to add dumbbell press for more chest hypertrophy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cooter

I could use some programming advice (with Greyskull LP as the basis). Here's what my week looks like:

Monday:

Bench Press 200x2x5 1x5+
Curls (EZ Bar): 40x12x2
Squat: 290x2x5 1x5+
Dips
Chin-Ups

Wednesday

Overhead Press 147.5x2x5 1x5+
Dumbbell Rows 85x2x8
Deadlift 325x1x5+
Chin-Ups

Friday looks like Monday--Squats are always M/F, while DLs are always on W)

Now, nothing seems horribly wrong with what I'm doing, but it still seems slightly inadequate. As someone coming off of SS, it feels weird not doing three compound lifts a day, and this is making me want to add/modify some accessory workouts. At a glance, what other lifts could I be doing? Where should I integrate them? Would it behoove me to add dumbbell press for more chest hypertrophy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I don't see much back work. Why chin ups and not pull ups? Not a lot of shoulders either. No shrugs. No raises. Only thing for tris are dips. I would add at least one more like CGBP or LTEs. I also would add another exercise for your bis. It really depends on what you're looking for. I like going higher on my reps also. Admittedly, I lift for aesthetics and strength. What is important to you?

Is it ok to look forward or slightly up when doing low bar squats? I have trouble keeping my chest up when looking at the floor in front of me

moocow

I think I need to buy one of those belts. I have not done weighted dips in like half a year, and I miss that. Otherwise doing 10 sets of 10 pull ups or sets of 15 dips gets boring fast.

Cooter

I think I need to buy one of those belts. I have not done weighted dips in like half a year, and I miss that. Otherwise doing 10 sets of 10 pull ups or sets of 15 dips gets boring fast.
It does. I don't think I'd even bother doing dips if I couldn't add weight.

I don't see much back work. Why chin ups and not pull ups? Not a lot of shoulders either. No shrugs. No raises. Only thing for tris are dips. I would add at least one more like CGBP or LTEs. I also would add another exercise for your bis. It really depends on what you're looking for. I like going higher on my reps also. Admittedly, I lift for aesthetics and strength. What is important to you?

Aesthetics and strength are important to me, too--I switched to GLP on behalf of the former (and to break some plateaus). I'm not actually sure if what I'm doing is a pull-up or a chin-up. My gym only has parallel bars, so my hands are situated between either style. I *could* use a super wide grip for chin-ups/pull-ups, but this seemed harder to me (my bodyweight exercises are shit).

What's an LTE? Would you add CGBP to the end of my bench day (after squats)? I'm also curious as to what other bicep workouts you recommend, and what "raises" you're talking about. Are shrugs as idiot-proof as they look?

Thanks, man.

Cooter

Aesthetics and strength are important to me, too--I switched to GLP on behalf of the former (and to break some plateaus). I'm not actually sure if what I'm doing is a pull-up or a chin-up. My gym only has parallel bars, so my hands are situated between either style. I *could* use a super wide grip for chin-ups/pull-ups, but this seemed harder to me (my bodyweight exercises are shit).

What's an LTE? Would you add CGBP to the end of my bench day (after squats)? I'm also curious as to what other bicep workouts you recommend, and what "raises" you're talking about. Are shrugs as idiot-proof as they look?

Thanks, man.

I have had issues with extra wide pull ups. It's a ton of strain on your shoulder. It might not be a problem for you, Maybe give them a shot? Neutral grip pull ups are just fine. Any pull up is great actually. I prefer my hands outside shoulder width. At the point most bars start to descend.

A LTE is a Laying Triceps Extension. Lie down on a bench and bench press a EZ bar. Then at it's peak. stop, and brining the bar down behind your head while your elbows remain stationary. A quick YouTube will explain it further. Pretty simple exercise.

Sure, you can add CGBP on your M-F days.

I love BB curls and incline DB curls. I choose one a week and do hammer curls or reverse EZ curls with them. I also throw in 7s every now and then.

The raises I was referring to are shoulder raises. You can do front , side, and rear raises. I do all three. I just like the look of having large shoulders. You don't have to or need as much delt work as I do. It's a personal preference.

Shrugs are as easy as they look. Do a few searches and you will be a pro. Apparently High Pulls are more effective but I haven't started them yet. Brolic would be the guy to go to for advice there.

Dude, if you want more details or have any questions shoot me a PM.

sdijoseph

In regards to diet, I think the dozen eggs a day would work best for me, as it is the most economical way of introducing protein into my diet. I know the OP says that cholesterol shouldn't be a worry, but a dozen eggs contains 600% of the recommended daily value for cholesterol. I am going to be eating them hard boiled, so could I just take out the yolks and eat the white part, or should I just go ahead and eat the whole egg?

Used mixed grip for dead lifting for the first time in quite a while yesterday. After warming up, everything felt so light.

Also managed to get chalk in my eye which was a bit..distracting.

Petrie

Banned
Dude, if you want more details or have any questions shoot me a PM.

Don't be bringing these discussions to PM, I hang on to every word you post here Cooter, as you're basically where I hope to eventually be. One day that elusive muscle up will be mine. One day....

In regards to diet, I think the dozen eggs a day would work best for me, as it is the most economical way of introducing protein into my diet. I know the OP says that cholesterol shouldn't be a worry, but a dozen eggs contains 600% of the recommended daily value for cholesterol. I am going to be eating them hard boiled, so could I just take out the yolks and eat the white part, or should I just go ahead and eat the whole egg?

Eggs are good cholesterol. Enjoy that shit. It's where all the nutrition is.

Shadybiz

No way man; if you're a normal-sized dude, 145 is awesome. My friend and I are both stalled around 110x5 for 3. He's a bit more frustrated about it than I am, but I just tell him that we're doing far more than many people of our relative size, and we've just gotta keep hitting it. I guess we can try 2 things; either deload a bit, or even add some weight, try to go for less reps, and power through it. Not sure which is the best strategy, so if anyone can weigh in, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Far far far from shitty. I think all of us have an OHP complex because of Brolic's amazing feats of strength. Ha

I should never have watched that video of his. :)

Pete Rock

Is it ok to look forward or slightly up when doing low bar squats? I have trouble keeping my chest up when looking at the floor in front of me
I think whatever works for you is best but cervical extension is generally recommended for high bar. I have found that Rippetoes "elbows up" with shoulders squeezed back and together cue helps me keep my chest up and everything oriented appropriately. I'd rather not do a rep if my form feels degraded, the speed at which it occurs is basically the only thing that changes across my last few reps.

I could use some programming advice (with Greyskull LP as the basis)
I would say no matter what kind of plug-ins or accessory work you are doing on GSLP, it should all be done before squats. You are going to be so cashed after a legit AMRAP at heavy weight that you won't want to even attempt doing anything but taking a shower and going home.

Edit: "During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you." - Based Rip

Cooter

Don't be bringing these discussions to PM, I hang on to every word you post here Cooter, as you're basically where I hope to eventually be. One day that elusive muscle up will be mine. One day....

:)

No doubt in my mind you'll get there. Own those pull ups like you just bought an entire Baby's R Us!

despire

Had to take 3 days off from dieting since I got the flu from my GF. Sucks that I got sick and had to take time off but doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Also started a week in advance so there's that :)

Now back to dieting in full force.

Had to take 3 days off from dieting since I got the flu from my GF. Sucks that I got sick and had to take time off but doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Also started a week in advance so there's that :)

Now back to dieting in full force.
It really is the worst when something outside of your control keeps you from progressing. Sometimes it's well needed rest though.

Wish you the best!

I rarely see anyone OHP, much less 135lbs.

I don't know that I've seen ten different people OHP firsthand in my lifetime.
I'm one of the few people who OHPs at my gym even if it's busy. Yesterday was the first time in months I've seen someone do it.

Also Shogun's OHPs make me feel crazy weak. 175 for a few reps is the most I've ever done.

You will get back there no problem. Eat and lift baby!

And this week has been awful. Too much food from coworkers. Oh well, next week I start up cardio, got two weeks off so I'm just gonna focus hard on that. I want to get to 250 by the end of the month. It should be around 2.5 lbs a week. I think I can do that.

SeanR1221

Throw me in with the bad weekend.
Friend I haven't seen in 2 months wants to go out for dinner and drinks.

Tomorrow in Philly is some all day Irish bar hop my wife wants to go too.

Uuihhhhhjj
Gonna try and stick with it as close as I can.

Salmon dish tonight. Alcohol mixed with 0 calorie mixes.

Yeah man, I do my best but I know it is on me. As mentioned it is my last week so people taking me out this week... pho, cheesesteak, Taco Bell, Indian buffett. Then the going away party so wings, tacos, fries, more wings, and alcohol. Got a hangover...

It is all good. Part of the fun. Prolly sleep off this weekend. Fight off this head cold. Then cardio city................

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I'm trying to improve my bench form, and this was asked a few days ago but I don't think anyone really answered. Feet flat on the floor vs just your toes? I kind of have short legs so it's a little difficult for me to get my feet in the right position and push through my legs (leg drive). I never thought about just using my toes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I'm trying to improve my bench form, and this was asked a few days ago but I don't think anyone really answered. Feet flat on the floor vs just your toes? I kind of have short legs so it's a little difficult for me to get my feet in the right position and push through my legs (leg drive). I never thought about just using my toes.

Either. You have to find what works for you just like foot placement for squats. And if you want to compete you need to follow those fed rules. You need to get enough leg drive to stabilize your upper back and assist the lift, but also prevent your ass from leaving the bench.

The videos I said to watch before are still good teachers. For foot placement the one from "the spot athletics" is really good.

Szu

You will get back there no problem. Eat and lift baby!

And this week has been awful. Too much food from coworkers. Oh well, next week I start up cardio, got two weeks off so I'm just gonna focus hard on that. I want to get to 250 by the end of the month. It should be around 2.5 lbs a week. I think I can do that.

Thanks, man. I've got a similar "fit world problem" with too much food. I attend some catered meetings and there's too much stuff.

j-wood

Rate what I'm doing fitness GAF:

I'm about 5'10 and weight between 190-195lbs.

Diet wise I'm cutting out fast food, unless it's something that uses good ingredients like chipotle (and I'll get a chicken bowl instead of a burrito). For breakfast I roll with honey nut cheerios and vanilla almond milk. For lunch is usually a turkey sandwich with light cheese, lettuce, and quality bread with a few chips. For dinner I'll eat some grill chicken strips or a burger, prepared by me. I've cut out soda, though I'll occasionally have one of those mtn dew kickstarts (80 calories per can, 19g of sugar).

For workout, I go to the gym and do interval running for 21 minutes. I'll do 3 minutes walking at 3.0 speed, then 3 minutes running at 6.0 speed. Then i'll go do 3 sets of 10 reps of crunches on a machine with 100lb resistance. Then I'll do the same with leg press machine (120ish lbs) and upright bench machine (70ish lbs). I snowboard on the weekends and I'm doing the internal running to get in shape for ultimate Frisbee. I know the weight stuff i'm doing isn't building musicle, but I only have an hour for lunch and I do it to keep my heart rate up.

Think that's reasonable for me to get down to 175ish lbs?

j-wood

Is that your only goal (to lose 20 pounds)?

When is your target date?

Don't really have a target date. It's just that almost all of my fat is around my chest/midsection. If you were to look at my arms/face/legs, you'd think I was perfect weight/underweight.

Really it's that I'm about to get back in the dating game/be more active outside, so I just want to loose some of the fat and get down to a weight that is proportional to my height, which I feel is around 175.

I was also thinking about getting a fitbit one to help me keep track of stuff, and I heard it has a food diary thing to go with it. Are those worth it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom