• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

Protein requirements for the average man is around 50g per day. 1g per lb of bodyweight is plenty if you're trying to gain.

Ive read to go 1.25-1.5 for best results. From high quality sources too. I've been doing mostly 1.3ish for the last year.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I may be developing a slight addiction to Raising Cane's. Hitting it up now after poker! It's pretty damn good and perfect for weight lifters.

EDIT: Home after a long day and after having only 500 or so calories of liquid in me, this chicken and broccoli tastes extra good tonight!

EDIT#2: Just looked up the nutritional stats on the chicken. Fantastic!

127cal
13p
9c
7f

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Protein requirements for the average man is around 50g per day. 1g per lb of bodyweight is plenty if you're trying to gain.

This. Although even 1:1 is high.

Ive read to go 1.25-1.5 for best results. From high quality sources too. I've been doing mostly 1.3ish for the last year.

Overkill. Especially if you aren't on gear.

I only take 150ish grams a day at a BW of 240.

It's actually only around 80% of BW. And if I remember right the actual original thing to do was 1 gram per KG of lean body mass. That could be wrong though.

I do remember a bunch of studies posted a few OTs ago saying you only need 70-80% of your lean body mass in protein. And I've been doing that for over a year now.

Quit wasting money IMO.

Go_Ly_Dow

^^Yup

Look back from when I first started to now and it my intake has been rocky. Most of the time under the 1g per pound "guideline". However still hasn't stopped the gains and massive strength increase from when I first started.

grumble

It's actually only around 80% of BW. And if I remember right the actual original thing to do was 1 gram per KG of lean body mass. That could be wrong though.

I do remember a bunch of studies posted a few OTs ago saying you only need 70-80% of your lean body mass in protein. And I've been doing that for over a year now.

Quit wasting money IMO.

Would think that you'd want more protein in a caloric deficit though, as it might keep a bit more muscle on? Or if you're a newbie and on an aggressive weight gain program like ss?

.8 really is optimal. If you choose to go greater than that, it is fine. If you are doing something like UD2.0 or Rapid Fat Loss and they say to take more because of the specific diet, then that is fine too. But really, anything over .8 is more than enough.

As for me, this head cold finally caught up to me. Just gonna rest this weekend. Hopefully it will pass on by enough where I can start lifting on Monday and do cardio as well.

Nilaul

Would think that you'd want more protein in a caloric deficit though, as it might keep a bit more muscle on? Or if you're a newbie and on an aggressive weight gain program like ss?

Im pretty sure you need more protein if you are on a low carb diet. Your body uses up protein instead of carbs (which if you dont enough come from your muscles).

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

But the whole protein thing, is very confusing. Numerous studies proving different things. They all seem reliable (but there likley not).

161 - 163lb would equal to 161-163 grams of protein? (In a 1 to 1 ratio). On a 0.8 ratio like FallingEdge mentioned would 138 grams of protein.

Cutting down carbs would probably woop this number up, and it would require me to commit chicken, (salmon?) and egg genocide every day single day of my life.

SeanR1221

I can count the number of compliments my dads given me on one hand. He was so close to giving me a strength one. I helped him load these 4 huge doors from the Home Depot to a customers house. He was like "your brother could never handle this. He's beyond weak."

I'll take it!!!!!

Veezy

que?

While this is true, and I'll have to dig through my files to find the journal, those numbers only work so long as your carb intake is high enough. Otherwise, you'll experience atrophy. Something about nitrogen or whatever.

In other words, anybody on a cut should be going for, like, 1.5-2g per lb of body weight in order to maintain the muscle while on a caloric deficit. Anybody on a bulk can reduce that number, but should be hitting it hard on the carbs. That's how it works. If you're not eating around 30% of your caloric intake of carbs, then you need to be slamming down cans of chicken. Two bucks at wal-mart. 45g per can. You're welcome.

There's a reason why body builders keep a pretty consistent intake of 50% of their calories coming from protein. It's got hidden fats, which is needed for recuperation, and will maintain the gainz. Plus, that amount works on a bulk or cut.

Pete Rock

Yeap. I have nice one too. I don't know what it is but the pain is severe and shoots up mostly the back side of my knees.
Do you stand with them locked and for extended periods? It's hard to train yourself out of the first habit but you can set a little stopwatch or timer to click every ninety minutes to remind you to walk around and stretch for five.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Caloric deficits changes things. You would want more of one of the macros. Preferably fat or protein IMO.

"Aggressive weight gain program" not so much.

While this is true, and I'll have to dig through my files to find the journal, those numbers only work so long as your carb intake is high enough. Otherwise, you'll experience atrophy. Something about nitrogen or whatever.

In other words, anybody on a cut should be going for, like, 1.5-2g per lb of body weight in order to maintain the muscle while on a caloric deficit. Anybody on a bulk can reduce that number, but should be hitting it hard on the carbs. That's how it works. If you're not eating around 30% of your caloric intake of carbs, then you need to be slamming down cans of chicken. Two bucks at wal-mart. 45g per can. You're welcome.

There's a reason why body builders keep a pretty consistent intake of 50% of their calories coming from protein. It's got hidden fats, which is needed for recuperation, and will maintain the gainz. Plus, that amount works on a bulk or cut.

Really? That is one thing I haven't heard of. Let's talk realistic here, I weigh 257 or so. That means I should be consuming 375g of protein on a cut? That seems insane to me. I can get 225g or so but then just adjust my macros as necessary.

Thanks to everyone chatting (in some cases debating) bench form lately. I took a lot of the advice to heart yesterday, and I feel a huge improvement in my stability. Here's hoping it helps me break through the current plateau!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really? That is one thing I haven't heard of. Let's talk realistic here, I weigh 257 or so. That means I should be consuming 375g of protein on a cut? That seems insane to me. I can get 225g or so but then just adjust my macros as necessary.

Lean body mass. Not actual body weight. And even at that I would not be eating 1.5 or more G protein. To me that's just throwing away money. At least unless you're on shit to take advantage.

Thanks to everyone chatting (in some cases debating) bench form lately. I took a lot of the advice to heart yesterday, and I feel a huge improvement in my stability. Here's hoping it helps me break through the current plateau!

Won't hurt!

Lean body mass. Not actual body weight. And even at that I would not be eating 1.5 or more G protein. To me that's just throwing away money. At least unless you're on shit to take advantage.

Won't hurt!

yeah, I realized that after typing it, it was LBM. Still. 300g is a ton. I'm fine with eating 1g/lbm or .8g/lb

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yeah, I realized that after typing it, it was LBM. Still. 300g is a ton. I'm fine with eating 1g/lbm or .8g/lb

And I honestly think at that ratio you're gonna be fine. If strength drops add in calories. That's how you have to do it. Find what works best and adjust based off of results. Take it slow and steady and losses won't be an issue.
People see dramatic strength losses when they don't adjust macros/calories based off of results and simply go by arbitrary numbers.

That's exactly the mistake I made last summer.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I stopped counting brotein intake and stick to counting cals.

Milk - 80+
Beef - 80+
Whey - 30+
Yogourt - 30+

So I'm guessing well over 250g with everything else included.

despire

Lyle McDonalds RFLD has you eating 1.25g/LBM (if >15BF%) or 2.0g/LBM (if <15BF%). Taking into account that it's probably the lowest calorie diet you can do without losing muscle I'd think those are good guidelines on how much you need.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lyle McDonalds RFLD has you eating 1.25g/LBM (>15BF%) or 2.0g/LBM (<15BF%). Taking into account that this is probably the lowest calorie diet you can do without losing muscle I'd think those are good guidelines on how much you need.

And that's for a quick cut. I'm more talking about every day diet.

Unless you're a body builder or professional powerlifter I don't think cutting/bulking is necessarily a good idea.

If I was doing a quick cut again I'd definitely jack the protein through the roof (compared to what I'm doing now), but I'd be more likely to add fat first. But I won't ever do that again.

despire

And that's for a quick cut. I'm more talking about every day diet.

Unless you're a body builder or professional powerlifter I don't think cutting/bulking is necessarily a good idea.

If I was doing a quick cut again I'd definitely jack the protein through the roof. But I won't ever do that again.

Of course. I'm just stating that you probably won't need more than that even though what your cut is.

Personally I eat around 1g/LBM atm or lower when not cutting.

Irobot82

Do you stand with them locked and for extended periods? It's hard to train yourself out of the first habit but you can set a little stopwatch or timer to click every ninety minutes to remind you to walk around and stretch for five.

No I always have my knees slightly bent. I did a basic training thing once and they always said not to lock your knees cause you will pass out, so for some reason that always stuck with me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ohp 225x7. Video will have to come tonight. On my way to work. It's on my FB page for anyone on there. Was tight and strict. Felt real good.

Cooter

I still have a few more weeks to go and I'm white as hell but I'm getting there. Actually do think I've put on some size but not much. To be expected with a 2 month bulk. My legs might be where most of it went.

Pre bulk 185

9-21-133.jpg
End of my bulk on 1-7-14. About 203-205

Taken today. Here's three. 191

1st is unflexed

Next 2 are slightly flexed

Mr. F

Banned
Hi fitness GAF.

I decided at the end of January to get more serious about fitness and actually take on a structured workout routine and diet. I'm currently going to the gym 4 days a week and while I have been making decent gains in terms of strength it's not really carrying through in appearance as much as I thought it would. More specifically I'm worried I'm putting on more fat than muscle, especially in the difference in weight week to week.

Quick diet question;

When I was first researching diet and nutrition I determined that I would want to hit 2500 calories per day since I wanted to put on mass. Should I consider taking this down by a couple hundred calories to see if that helps from putting on too much more fat?

Being somewhat new to this my concern was reducing calories would slow down muscle growth, but at the same time I feel something might not be quite right and I might be overeating considering I only go 4 days a week.

I was also considering if I were to stick with the 2500 to maybe do some running or other cardio on off days to help things a bit? Long story short I'm unsure if I want to change my caloric intake at the risk of hindering progress, or if I should 'wait it out' and see how the next few weeks go considering I'm only a month in.

Any suggestions?

SeanR1221

Hi fitness GAF.

I decided at the end of January to get more serious about fitness and actually take on a structured workout routine and diet. I'm currently going to the gym 4 days a week and while I have been making decent gains in terms of strength it's not really carrying through in appearance as much as I thought it would. More specifically I'm worried I'm putting on more fat than muscle, especially in the difference in weight week to week.

Quick diet question;

When I was first researching diet and nutrition I determined that I would want to hit 2500 calories per day since I wanted to put on mass. Should I consider taking this down by a couple hundred calories to see if that helps from putting on too much more fat?

Being somewhat new to this my concern was reducing calories would slow down muscle growth, but at the same time I feel something might not be quite right and I might be overeating considering I only go 4 days a week.

I was also considering if I were to stick with the 2500 to maybe do some running or other cardio on off days to help things a bit? Long story short I'm unsure if I want to change my caloric intake at the risk of hindering progress, or if I should 'wait it out' and see how the next few weeks go considering I'm only a month in.

Any suggestions?

You've barely been lifting and we don't know what your program is like. I wouldn't expect to look differently this quick.

Mr. F

Banned
You've barely been lifting and we don't know what your program is like. I wouldn't expect to look differently this quick.

I probably could have phrased that better. I wasn't expecting to look dramatically different in terms of gains, I just notice some areas are noticeably fatter than when I started (stomach and chest specifically) and was unsure whether or not I might be overeating.

As for routine, I'm currently doing;

Sunday

Bodyweight Squat - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 15
Pull-Up - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Deadlift - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 15
Hammer Curl - 3 sets of 15
Triceps Push-Down - 3 sets of 15
Bicycle Crunch - 3 sets of 15
Cycling - 15 mins

Tuesday

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Step-Up - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Bent-Over Row - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Lunge - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12
Plank - 3 reps 60 seconds
Cycling - 15 mins

Thursday

Dumbbell Split Squat - 3 sets of 15
Power Clean - 3 sets of 15
Parallel Bar Dip - 3 sets of 15
Incline Reverse Flye - 3 sets of 15
Lying Leg Raise - 3 sets of 15
Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets of 15
EZ-Bar Curl - 3 sets of 15
Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 sets of 15
Cycling - 15 mins

Friday

Dumbbell Squat - 3 sets of 12
Chin-Up - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Chest Flye - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Upright Row - 3 sets of 12
Single-Arm Dumbbell Row - 3 sets of 12
Good Morning - 3 sets of 12
Cycling - 15 mins

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
As for routine, I'm currently doing;

Sunday

Bodyweight Squat - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 15
Pull-Up - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Deadlift - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 15
Hammer Curl - 3 sets of 15
Triceps Push-Down - 3 sets of 15
Bicycle Crunch - 3 sets of 15
Cycling - 15 mins

Tuesday

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Step-Up - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Bent-Over Row - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Lunge - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12
Plank - 3 reps 60 seconds
Cycling - 15 mins

Thursday

Dumbbell Split Squat - 3 sets of 15
Power Clean - 3 sets of 15
Parallel Bar Dip - 3 sets of 15
Incline Reverse Flye - 3 sets of 15
Lying Leg Raise - 3 sets of 15
Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets of 15
EZ-Bar Curl - 3 sets of 15
Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 sets of 15
Cycling - 15 mins

Friday

Dumbbell Squat - 3 sets of 12
Chin-Up - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Chest Flye - 3 sets of 12
Dumbbell Upright Row - 3 sets of 12
Single-Arm Dumbbell Row - 3 sets of 12
Good Morning - 3 sets of 12
Cycling - 15 mins

qWvQJeg.jpg

Mr. F

Banned
I was searching for beginner routines and found one that seemed good for me, and it has been enjoyable so far. More comfortable working with dumbbells at the moment.

Didn't realize the gym closed at 6pm today and got there at 5:30. Shit. I was able to get my squats in at least and increased by 5 lbs. Felt good.

Weighed in this morning and am down about 5 lbs (under 200 now - woohoo!). This is despite scarfing down a half rack of ribs and pulled chicken from my local bbq joint yesterday. Probably ingested too much sugar from the sauce/rub, but that was my only meal of the day besides a Quest bar.

I've been looking up some bench vids thanks to you guys and found some w/ Rippetoe demonstrating. Next week I'll be focusing more on the lower back arch.

Mr. F, if you're wondering why people seem to dislike that routine, it's basically because it is too complex with too many movements. You can get a killer routine with only 2-4 lifts per day. Doing as many as 8 lifts plus cardio in a single session is basically overkill. I mean, if you enjoy it, it's hard to talk you out of it, but I think there are better routines with fewer movements.

Mr. F

Banned
Mr. F, if you're wondering why people seem to dislike that routine, it's basically because it is too complex with too many movements. You can get a killer routine with only 2-4 lifts per day. Doing as many as 8 lifts plus cardio in a single session is basically overkill. I mean, if you enjoy it, it's hard to talk you out of it, but I think there are better routines with fewer movements.

That's fair. Would I be better off modifying it, or are there any other routines you would recommend? I have looked at the ones in the OP, but again just starting out I'm more comfortable with dumbbells and more problematically I do not have regular access to barbells and plates.

The 1g/lb should be for lean body mass, not total bodyweight.

The thing is there wasn't much difference for the bodybuilders who came up with the rule in the first place.

Husker86

That feel when you go to the grocery store and ask for "quinn-no-a"; I should have known...

Cooking some for the first time right now.

sphinx

the piano man

Amazing the power you have to control your diet: to go straigth from maintenance, to bulk, to reducing and maintenance is very hard.

may be the lighting, but do you think your arms are a bit bigger and your chest wider? I'd say yes but pics only tell part of a story, if you think it served a purpose, then that's what matters.

Hi Mr. F :)

I am not an expert or anything but I'll say what I think. Most of the time when I see so many exercises in a single day, there is something wrong with the weight. Your sets being in the 15 rep range would make me believe the weight is just to small to actually matter, that you are not hitting the muscles hard enough with that but It's just an impression,

on the other hand, you are doing 15 reps of pretty hard moves like pull-ups and dips so that sounds great, are those unasissted or do you use the kneepad?

in general terms, don't forget that weight is an important factor.

take for example the DB bench press. you do 3x15 of any specific weight tomorrow. what's next in one week? how do you progress from that? what's your progress plan? do 3x16 with the same weight? increase the weight and try 3x15 again?

progression is extremely important here, doing 3x15 every week with the same weight everywhere is definitely not good because eventually your body will adapt and won't respond to the stimulus and increasing weight and doing 3x15 all the time isn't very realistic because at some point it will be too heavy for that.

so what do you do?

rokkerkory

Quit wasting money IMO.

Is it waste even if you're starting out? I mean you're at a higher state than me... did you always take about 150g a day?

Cooter

How tall are you cooter if you don't mind me asking.

5'10

Amazing the power you have to control your diet: to go straight from maintenance, to bulk, to reducing and maintenance is very hard.

may be the lighting, but do you think your arms are a bit bigger and your chest wider? I'd say yes but pics only tell part of a story, if you think it served a purpose, then that's what matters.

I'd like to think so. Really hard to say. I'm pretty sure my legs and butt gained some size though.

What an amazing difference 2 months can make. GJ Cooter. I hope when I am done, I can achieve a look similar to yours.

Thanks FE. I'll look like a little 16 year old next to you though. A lean 230 is no joke!

Cooter

Hey man, I'm interested in the consensus on this topic as well. I've been going w/ ~ .85 per lb of lean body mass since reading this: http://www.slideshare.net/TimG1/protein-intake-16529721

It's not a huge deal IMO. Make sure to get 75% of your body weight and you will be good. If on a calorie restriction I would up it to 1g per pound of bw but otherwise don't sweat it. I weigh 190 and have no set amount other than more that 150 a day. Some days it's 160 and others it is 225 or more. Make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom