• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Rate what I'm doing fitness GAF:

I'm about 5'10 and weight between 190-195lbs.

Diet wise I'm cutting out fast food, unless it's something that uses good ingredients like chipotle (and I'll get a chicken bowl instead of a burrito). For breakfast I roll with honey nut cheerios and vanilla almond milk. For lunch is usually a turkey sandwich with light cheese, lettuce, and quality bread with a few chips. For dinner I'll eat some grill chicken strips or a burger, prepared by me. I've cut out soda, though I'll occasionally have one of those mtn dew kickstarts (80 calories per can, 19g of sugar).

For workout, I go to the gym and do interval running for 21 minutes. I'll do 3 minutes walking at 3.0 speed, then 3 minutes running at 6.0 speed. Then i'll go do 3 sets of 10 reps of crunches on a machine with 100lb resistance. Then I'll do the same with leg press machine (120ish lbs) and upright bench machine (70ish lbs). I snowboard on the weekends and I'm doing the internal running to get in shape for ultimate Frisbee. I know the weight stuff i'm doing isn't building musicle, but I only have an hour for lunch and I do it to keep my heart rate up.

Think that's reasonable for me to get down to 175ish lbs?
Yes. Although truth be told if all you are seeking is weight loss you can probably skip the weights and maybe even the cardio and do it all through diet. What you are doing doesn't hurt but it's not necessary and a waste of time in regards to gaining muscle. With a hour for lunch you can get some serious weight training in if you ever want to go that route. That's plenty of time.

j-wood

What do you guys think of the fitbits? I was thinking of getting the fitbit one to help keep track of things, and I heard it has nice tracking for food and stuff you can use. Are they worth it?

Aside from the gym, I work in IT so I'm at my desk most of the work day...not an active job at all. At home I'll be pretty active playing around with my dog, but I was just thinking a fitbit would help keep track of everything. Just wondering if they are worth $100.

Pete Rock

Standing desk, Google spreadsheet. Cheap solutions that work really well, one for keeping you off your butt all day when you're in front of a screen and the other for tracking macros and workouts. I would also ditch the empty carbs in the form of bread and cereals as it is basically just going to turn into sugar and then fat. All fast food is garbage. Good on you for ditching soda.

j-wood

Standing desk, Google spreadsheet. Cheap solutions that work really well, one for keeping you off your butt all day when you're in front of a screen and the other for tracking macros and workouts. I would also ditch the empty carbs in the form of bread and cereals as it is basically just going to turn into sugar and then fat. All fast food is garbage. Good on you for ditching soda.

I'd love to get a standing desk, but they are currently on a 6 month back order at my work :/

rokkerkory

Chest round 2 for the day guys... yesterday I carb loaded up... today is back to low carb day... sleepy.

Oh yeah, also some hiits today too.

rage1973

I'd love to get a standing desk, but they are currently on a 6 month back order at my work :/

I ordered one of these through my work.
Should be here next week.
19gez7kj6ozz7jpg.jpg

j-wood

I ordered one of these through my work.
Should be here next week.
19gez7kj6ozz7jpg.jpg

The tables we get are actually pretty sweet. The height is motorized and adjustable, so you can make it a sitting desk or a standing desk. Monitors are mounted on a bracket

But either way, the fitbit one is on sale at best buy...i just wonder how accurate it really is.

rage1973

The tables we get are actually pretty sweet. The height is motorized and adjustable, so you can make it a sitting desk or a standing desk. Monitors are mounted on a bracket

But either way, the fitbit one is on sale at best buy...i just wonder how accurate it really is.

Fitbit helps monitor how active you are but it has no way of tracking things like lifting weights so it was pretty useless to me. It just monitors things like the amount of steps you take and the amount of flight of stairs you have climbed so forth to calculate calories burned.

Zoe

What do you guys think of the fitbits? I was thinking of getting the fitbit one to help keep track of things, and I heard it has nice tracking for food and stuff you can use. Are they worth it?

Aside from the gym, I work in IT so I'm at my desk most of the work day...not an active job at all. At home I'll be pretty active playing around with my dog, but I was just thinking a fitbit would help keep track of everything. Just wondering if they are worth $100.

It's a glorified pedometer.

Gruco

Banned
Injured myself deadlifting today. Felt a snap in my lower back and immediately dropped the weight. It still hurts over an hour later and I can't even imagine what kind of pain I am going to be in tomorrow.

It's particularly frustrating because I deliberately set super low starting points after coming back from vacation to avoid something like this. Last few weeks were fine, warm up sets were fine. If anything that might have contributed to the problem - I probably let myself get complacent instead of staying super mindful about form. I think the problem was the I basically just tried to whip it up with my lower back alone instead of recruiting the entire posterior chain.

This is probably just my super-frustrated talk right now, but I am considering just quitting on deadlifts and squats and a starting stength program in general. I got hurt a couple times from squats a few months ago so it sucks to have something like this happen just as I felt I was getting things back under control.
UPDATE: After some heavy icing and spending most of the day in bed, I don't feel nearly as bad today as I expected. I'll still probably have to take at least a week off from squats and deadlifts but I should be good before too long and don't think this will get in the way of upper body work. I do have some hella-awkward movements right now tough,

I feel like an idiot for getting my ass kicked by a weight I know perfectly well I can handle, but I guess it's just a valuable lesson not to let my focus slip even for a second. My weight training goals are modest enough that I think it would be lame to bail out at this point.

Are you doing touch and go deadlifts? Or are you restarting and repositioning each rep?

Touch and go look cool I must admit, but they can easily injure you and also create systemic weaknesses by neglecting the pulling portion due to momentum.
Yeah, it was on the first rep but I think doing touch and go keeps me from being throughtful about my set up and contributed to the problem..Thanks for pointing that out.

Cudder

Either. You have to find what works for you just like foot placement for squats. And if you want to compete you need to follow those fed rules. You need to get enough leg drive to stabilize your upper back and assist the lift, but also prevent your ass from leaving the bench.

The videos I said to watch before are still good teachers. For foot placement the one from "the spot athletics" is really good.

Really? I would've thought it would be better to always have your feet flat on the ground. Pushing from your tip toes would make your base pretty unstable and wobbly wouldn't it?

Pete Rock

UPDATE: After some heavy icing and spending most of the day in bed, I don't feel nearly as bad today as I expected.
Try this Child > Cat > Camel transition. Instead of doing an upward cat flex and down into a camel then into child with all this toe tucking - leave the feet flat - come out of child with your back arched and flexed up as demonstrated, moving into cat. When your shoulders are over your wrists and the rest of your body is in-line as demonstrated, flex your head up and the back arched down into camel and immediately sit back on your hips into child. When your forehead touches the ground immediately begin the sequence, leading with the middle of your spine and really forcing that rounding. Do this for a few rounds every morning, try to make it one smooth movement, like a wave through your spine, back and forth.

TheCrow

Really? I would've thought it would be better to always have your feet flat on the ground. Pushing from your tip toes would make your base pretty unstable and wobbly wouldn't it?

You're not supposed to be pushing with your toes. Instead think of driving your heels into the floor, even if they are elevated. As for stability, the weight should really be on your traps/upper back.

I've found it easier to recruit leg drive when my feet are far back under my hips and i'm on my toes. But its different for everyone so it's really about finding what works best for you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

You're actually not pushing with your toes, just positioned on them. You're driving your heels towards the ground.

I think I'm going to buy a pair of Nike Men's Romaleos 2 as a gift to myself this weekend. Hopefully, the sporting goods store have some I can try on.

Cudder

You're not supposed to be pushing with your toes. Instead think of driving your heels into the floor, even if they are elevated. As for stability, the weight should really be on your traps/upper back.

I've found it easier to recruit leg drive when my feet are far back under my hips and i'm on my toes. But its different for everyone so it's really about finding what works best for you.

I always hear about how having a stable lower body (legs/feet) are just as important for having a stable base when benching as your upper body. They talk about full body tightness.

You're actually not pushing with your toes, just positioned on them. You're driving your heels towards the ground.

How are you driving your heels to the ground if they're in the air?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I always hear about how having a stable lower body (legs/feet) are just as important for having a stable base when benching as your upper body. They talk about full body tightness.

You're driving them TO the ground even if they don't get there. I used to bench like that and a lot of good lifters do too. For me heels on the ground works best. I get on my balls if my feet then drive my heels into the ground.

Watch those videos I mentioned they explain it probably better than I can.

TheCrow

You create that lower body tightness when you drive your heels into the ground. Even though it actually isn't possible for your heels to touch the ground you still push down.

Edit: Brolic Gaoler explained it better then me. It's kinda hard to put into words.

Cudder

another off topic fitness thread.

Yeah but the 6 beers a day is how I manage not to be hungry and can limit myself to a couple of meals a day. There is only so much rabbit food I can eat. So yeah it is like 700 calories and maybe a 120 carbs daily but it seems to work out in the end.

wat

Chocobro

I think I'm going to buy a pair of Nike Men's Romaleos 2 as a gift to myself this weekend. Hopefully, the sporting goods store have some I can try on.
Like the others have said, I doubt they would have any. WLing shoes are for such a small market, I don't think most of the stores bother carrying it. You're better off doing research and buying them online. And for sizing:
Make sure they're a snug fit; not painful but a bit tighter than a running shoe.
This. They should be true to size. If you have other Nike shoes, get the same size. However if you wear your shoes loose, it may be a good idea to go half a size down. If you don't have any Nike shoes, go to a Foot Lockers or whatever shoe store and try on some Nike shoes to see what size fits right for you.

rage1973

Like the others have said, I doubt they would have any. WLing shoes are for such a small market, I don't think most of the stores bother carrying it. You're better off doing research and buying them online. And for sizing:
It's not only that but Nike also stopped producing the Romaleos.
You can't even buy them from Nike.com

Cooter

Haven't done hi rep squats in months. I'm so tired.

225x15
255x12
275x10
295x8
315x6

I worked out way too long today. About 3 hours with cardio. NO BUENO.

I added in DLs to my back workout today and forgot to take shit out, so I was just doing back way too long, plus I rest way too much on back day. Will have to clean it up next week, but it was a good workout.

How long do you guys lift for usually? Usually 1-2 hours here depending on the day.

Cooter

I added in DLs to my back workout today and forgot to take shit out, so I was just doing back way too long, plus I rest way too much on back day. Will have to clean it up next week, but it was a good workout.

How long do you guys lift for usually? Usually 1-2 hours here depending on the day.
Anywhere from 45 to an hour and a half.
Today was about 35 minutes.

sdijoseph

Would doing barbell bicep curls and tricep extensions be a good fit for the "Arm Work" slot in the Friday routine for the Full Body workout?

Cooter

Cooter you continue to impress me as always. I'm in pain from my 3x5x300lbs squats. That looks like a nightmare.
Kinda was. I distinctly remember being at my 6th rep of my set of 10 thinking, "shit, do I have 4 more in me?"

Thanks man.

Nilaul

Part 1: Protein Intake

I weigh 73 kg.. that should result in 130 -190 grams of protein per day? Its all-ready hard to hit these marks. I do wonder how much this requirement would change in a low carb diet. I do Imagine that it would be even harder to hit the minimum.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.php?WeightPounds=&WeightKg=73

Perhaps someone knows a better calculator? I don't think in Lb it confuses me.

Part 2: New cheap natural protein powder.

Found my self some nice cheap (14 pounds for 800 grams container, 22 for two). Its protein made out Soya. 30 grams per serving contains: 24 grams of protein, 116cal, 1.8 carbs. All good until I tried it. Crap! I never had soya milk before, that shit is disgusting. Took me 30 minutes to drink that.

Tried it again... its better, forcing myself a bit. A few days pass. With every time I drink it, I'm starting to enjoy the taste of soya more. I guess its one of the things I just have to get used to.

Nilaul

Kinda was. I distinctly remember being at my 6th rep of my set of 10 thinking, "shit, do I have 4 more in me?"

Thanks man.

I find that swearing quietly at the weights helps. Sometimes I get carried away accidentally and shout out "bitch!" in the gym (when I know no ones around). Its fun, it helps you push out that extra.
However, If I was in Planet Fitness I would had been rapped by the staff and the alarm.

rokkerkory

Part 1: Protein Intake

I weigh 73 kg.. that should result in 130 -190 grams of protein per day? Its all-ready hard to hit these marks. I do wonder how much this requirement would change in a low carb diet. I do Imagine that it would be even harder to hit the minimum.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.php?WeightPounds=&WeightKg=73

Perhaps someone knows a better calculator? I don't think in Lb it confuses me.

Part 2: New cheap natural protein powder.

Found my self some nice cheap (14 pounds for 800 grams container, 22 for two). Its protein made out Soya. 30 grams per serving contains: 24 grams of protein, 116cal, 1.8 carbs. All good until I tried it. Crap! I never had soya milk before, that shit is disgusting. Took me 30 minutes to drink that.

Tried it again... its better, forcing myself a bit. A few days pass. With every time I drink it, I'm starting to enjoy the taste of soya more. I guess its one of the things I just have to get used to.

Typically 1g of protein per body weight lb... a bit more 1.25x or 1.5x if you're trying to gain.

Cheap protein is likely not good protein. Soy milk is prob not great either. Try Almond milk.

Irobot82

I have one at work. Been using it for almost a year now. Maybe I am doing it wrong but the back of my knees get to the point where the pain is almost unbearable. I thought I would love the thing, but I can't stand for more the 4 hours before it's unbearable. I had to get a drafting chair to set for the other half of the day.

Cudder

Typically 1g of protein per body weight lb... a bit more 1.25x or 1.5x if you're trying to gain.

Cheap protein is likely not good protein. Soy milk is prob not great either. Try Almond milk.

Protein requirements for the average man is around 50g per day. 1g per lb of bodyweight is plenty if you're trying to gain.

TheCrow

Ever since I started Sheiko a couple weeks back I'm in the gym 2 to 2.5 hours. But at least its one day less because I was doing 5/3/1 for a long time.

Zoe

I have one at work. Been using it for almost a year now. Maybe I am doing it wrong but the back of my knees get to the point where the pain is almost unbearable. I thought I would love the thing, but I can't stand for more the 4 hours before it's unbearable. I had to get a drafting chair to set for the other half of the day.

Are you using an anti-fatigue mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom