• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

demented

Quick question, I'm following this program at the moment: www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html
but mainly the workout plan, I'm not taking any supplements(no money) or following what he says to eat to the letter, I cut all the sugary stuff out and eat healthy but won't go all OCD over it.
Now my problem is that gym isn't open on Sundays and that messes up 2 on 1 off schedule. It's been less than 2 weeks now so I'm not too far in and thinking about switching to starting strength program because it's just simpler.

Bit of background, for like 10 years I haven't lifted anything heavier than a mouse. Then I started going to gym but quit after a month or two mainly because I get bored but now I'm super into it and plan on not stopping for a while. I'm 23, I'm not really interested in putting a lot of mass, right now I just wanna add some strength, be healthy and build stamina and most importantly drop body fat %(good diet and cardio is gonna help this mostly).
What would you guys recommend?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yeah, one my buddies at the gym was telling me about that and igf-3. Saying that I be perfect for it. Too scared to try anything really.

Fuck was watching him inject test, hate needles...passed out giving 3 vials of blood in january lol...although I was doing strenuous shit at work for hours beforehand. Shit scares me too, fuck saucing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question, I'm following this program at the moment: www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html
but mainly the workout plan, I'm not taking any supplements(no money) or following what he says to eat to the letter, I cut all the sugary stuff out and eat healthy but won't go all OCD over it.
Now my problem is that gym isn't open on Sundays and that messes up 2 on 1 off schedule. It's been less than 2 weeks now so I'm not too far in and thinking about switching to starting strength program because it's just simpler.

Bit of background, for like 10 years I haven't lifted anything heavier than a mouse. Then I started going to gym but quit after a month or two mainly because I get bored but now I'm super into it and plan on not stopping for a while. I'm 23, I'm not really interested in putting a lot of mass, right now I just wanna add some strength, be healthy and build stamina and most importantly drop body fat %(good diet and cardio is gonna help this mostly).
What would you guys recommend?

If you want to build strength, do starting strength. Modify it as necessary to fit your goals (fat loss, so you won't be going crazy on the diet side and probably won't be able to up the weight as rapidly). You really should be doing the core barbell exercises to build strength and stability.

Squats, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Deadlifts.

Do squats + one of the presses every day you are in the gym. Warm up sets then 3 sets of 5 reps at your target weight for the day. Rest as much as you need. You can probably start with doing deadlifts every session, but eventually you're going to need more rest between them. Throw in a few sets of pullups, too, if you can and that's your workout.

Focus on this for at least half a year and see where it gets you.

Buddy is trying to get me on Anavar to shred down but I won't have none of that.

You maintain like 13ish percent body fat while eating insane amounts of food. I bed you could "shred down" pretty easily if you wanted to.

sphinx

the piano man
besides the obvious fact that it's a ton of weight, what I like in Brolic's OHP is the form.

the bar follows the same trajectory in each rep, there's no trying to push the head under the bar, which often happens when it's too heavy. No extrem arching of the back either.

OHP is very much your signature move Brolic.

I hope I can be as good at squatting some day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks guys.

Damn!

Question: is it wrong to breath at the top of the rep? I switched to this method awhile back and I haven't thought about switching, as it seems easier.

I used to do it that way. I'd rather not loosen my core when I have the weight locked out. So now I pause and breath at th bottom.

nuckin futs. any particular reason you didn't put 2 45's on the bar?

I was lazy. There were 4 10s there and no matching 45s and didn't feel like looking for them.

sphinx

the piano man
so, ever since I started working out, I've been unhappy with my arms (I know, who doesn't lol). For the most part of my fitness life, if I looked for progress in pics and mirrors, I'd find some, even if minor, on every other part of my body, but not on my arms.

I decided to take action and I've been doing more substantial arm work for some months and I think it has been worth it. Yesterday I took this pic fooling around in my kitchen and even though I like it, it is rather unremarkable without context. Compared to some of the bigger, more defined arms in the lines of FitGaf, it really is nothing to call home about.

armafter_zps2945de7b.jpg

but after watching the pic, I got curious and searched in older folders in my laptop to see if I could find a pic that would more or less show in which state were my arms with zero training so I could actually have a visual reference from which I could draw a comparison. This pic shows accurately how my arms (and my sad, weak body lol) looked a couple of years ago. not exactly the fairest of comparisons because it's different positions and light but I don't think flexing in this pic would have made much of a difference, lol.

under this context, I am satisfied so far. Not gonna call it the arms of my dreams but there is a curvature from the forearm (on the outside) going into the elbow, a bit of peak on the bicep and also more roundness on the tricep.

for a guy with arms as small and nasty as mine, it's kind of reassuring to see things can get better.

I will continue working on all of this anyway, just wanted to share.

Cudder

huge difference sphinx, good work. i've been meaning to add more bicep work to my routine. i'll start cutting in April I think, which should help my arm definition somewhat. everyone's got better bicep peaks than me lol.

SeanR1221

huge difference sphinx, good work. i've been meaning to add more bicep work to my routine. i'll start cutting in April I think, which should help my arm definition somewhat. everyone's got better bicep peaks than me lol.

I have pretty poor peaks myself.

Let's make a club. The poor peak club.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks cudder,

don't know if it makes sense but maybe you guys have thicker bones and that makes it less likely for a bicep peak to reveal itself and in turn it looks like an uniform tree trunk?

I don't really know, I wonder what makes a bicep peak appear, maybe it's just genes? or maybe it's curling in a certain way?

regardless, from what I remember from you, guys, your arms aren't thin, just keep at it.,

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Bicep peaks! Curl for glory!

So I had some ice cream last night and felt guilty and ran to the gym to squat and do abs. This was my third time this week. That was a first for me. Did 4 sets of ten.

185x10
225x10
245x10
275x10

Tuesday I did-

255x5
285x5
325x5
345x5
375x5

And Friday I did-

225x15
255x12
275x10
295x8
315x6

Legs are jello. I assume that volume is ok based on the type of stuff olympic lifters do. Hell, doesn't AJ squat nearly every day? Speaking of, where is that guy?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I enjoy the image of feeling guilty about eating ice cream and then running to the gym to do squats.

Went to the doctor yesterday for some lingering back pain. He thinks I slipped a disc while squatting. He referred me to a physical therapist.

sphinx

the piano man
Gonna go even further back. I miss Mully. And CrankyJay

Mully posted several times under his new username but people didn't recognize him. I once saw him post right after a comment of yours and thought you'd notice him but you didn't :/ that was long ago though.

Cranky was a nice guy.

SeanR1221

Mully posted several times under his new username but people didn't recognize him. I once saw him post right after a comment of yours and thought you'd notice him but you didn't :/ that was long ago though.

Cranky was a nice guy.

Huh I completely missed that.

Two questions:

1. Deadlifts should be done on the same day as pullups or can I do them on adjacent days because they target different back muscles?

2. What is your preferred triceps exercise? I don't like extensions very much and I haven't found a nice spot to do dips at my gym because the bars are too separate and it feels more like a shoulder exercise. I need parallel bars at shoulder width.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Two questions:

1. Deadlifts should be done on the same day as pullups or can I do them on adjacent days because they target different back muscles?

2. What is your preferred triceps exercise? I don't like extensions very much and I haven't found a nice spot to do dips at my gym because the bars are too separate and it feels more like a shoulder exercise. I need parallel bars at shoulder width.

1} It doesn't matter. You can or you can choose to do them on a different day. Personal preference.

2) I would suggest Close Grip Bench Press. When you say you don't like extensions you are referring to "skull crushers" or the correct term of Laying Triceps extensions, right? There are a ton of tri exercises. Standing over the head extensions with the EZ is a killer one. Lower weight DB kickbacks are decent too. Then all the various cable exercise are available also.

BumRush

Two questions:

Close grip bench and weighted bench dips are my two favorites

1} It doesn't matter. You can or you can choose to do them on a different day. Personal preference.

2) I would suggest Close Grip Bench Press. When you say you don't like extensions you are referring to "skull crushers" or the correct term of Laying Triceps extensions, right? There are a ton of tri exercises. Standing over the head extensions with the EZ is a killer one. Lower weight DB kickbacks are decent too. Then all the various cable exercise are available also.

Close grip bench and weighted bench dips are my two favorites

I really want to try weighted dips, but the bars we have are too separated for dips. I'm gonna try skull crushers and and close grips bench. I like triceps pushdowns with the cable, but at higher weight it lifts me lol, and it feels more like a core workout trying to stay on the ground.

I really don't feel the LTE and the kickbacks. The whole weight hinges on the elbow and it just doesn't feel right. Plus my elbows crack a lot.

The close grip bench is done with the regular barbell, right?

I was asking for your favorite exercise because I know you guys like to lift heavy and I was wondering if there existed an triceps-focused exercise that stays safe and powerful as you stack more weight on it. The tricep equivalent of a squat or a bench press, if you know what I mean? Extensions are definitely not it for me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Listen to the man who CGPBs more than 90% of gym goers can regular bench.

This, MTP knows his shit. Between LTE and CGBP Both are my go to as well. When I got my CGBP to 300+ my bench improved with it. I also have this push down/dip machine thing I do for high reps. Love that thing.

Rolling DB extensions are good too, but not a main go to.

Brolic is freak beast.

CGBP is very good for mass and strength.

Lol thanks man, not yet though.

Shits gonna slow down for a bit too. Playing around with nutrition testing some stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom