• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Cooter said:
Listen to the man who CGPBs more than 90% of gym goers can regular bench.

LOL

I'm trying to get back on the pressing train!

308x5, 320x5, 330x3 this week.

Tonight I did DB shoulder press 5x10 with 100s which felt good.

BUT my squat keeps going up, gonna be at 5 plates for reps soon!

lool
Then it's decided

How close is optimal to target the triceps the most, in your experience? Hands together or a bit of a separation?

Hands together is a sure way to destroy your shoulders.

It will depend how wide you are. I go inside shoulder width so my triceps graze my sides. Roughly 14" between my thumbs.

tumblr_n26enkqcNe1qgpp3mo1_500.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
lool
Then it's decided

How close is optimal to target the triceps the most, in your experience? Hands together or a bit of a separation?
I put my pinkies where the knurling starts. Meaning my hand is in the smooth side with my pinkies just barely touching the knurling. Any closer together and I feel it puts too much pressure on the shoulders.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LOL

I'm trying to get back on the pressing train!

308x5, 320x5, 330x3 this week.

Tonight I did DB shoulder press 5x10 with 100s which felt good.

BUT my squat keeps going up, gonna be at 5 plates for reps soon!

Hands together is a sure way to destroy your shoulders.

It will depend how wide you are. I go inside shoulder width so my triceps graze my sides. Roughly 14" between my thumbs.

Gimme dat squat.

For my CGBP I go thumbs out from the smooth. Same as my OHP grip.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Gimme dat squat.

For my CGBP I go thumbs out from the smooth. Same as my OHP grip.

It's the shoes, the belt and the knee sleeves!! Really made a world of difference.

Ya sounds about right for me, I put the tip of my thumb on the smooth part just off the knurling on my DHS bar. I also use a suicide grip for CGBP, feels much better and easier to keep the wrist straight with the forearm.

Yes I bench with a $600+ olympic bar :(

Need to get another bar for that stuff.

Cooter

It's the shoes, the belt and the knee sleeves!! Really made a world of difference.

Ya sounds about right for me, I put the tip of my thumb on the smooth part just off the knurling on my DHS bar. I also use a suicide grip for CGBP, feels much better and easier to keep the wrist straight with the forearm.

Yes I bench with a $600+ olympic bar :(

Need to get another bar for that stuff.

I use suicide grip also. Just feels right. Man, my hands are quite a bit closer together than you two. I wonder if I will be able to push more by bringing them farther apart? Hmmmm

Veezy

que?
Really? That is one thing I haven't heard of. Let's talk realistic here, I weigh 257 or so. That means I should be consuming 375g of protein on a cut? That seems insane to me. I can get 225g or so but then just adjust my macros as necessary.

It depends on your goals.

Let's say you're looking to maintain your weight. That means you're probably eating 14-16 kcals times your LBM.

Which means you're probably eating 30% fat, 30% carbs, 40% protein. With those numbers, you don't need more than 1g per lb of body mass. However, on a cut, the portions go to 20% carbs, 30% fat, 50% protein and 10-12 kcals per lb of LBM. With those numbers, yeah, you're eating more protein.

The biggest thing to remember is that your protein has to increase the less carbs you're eating or you're going to deal with muscle atrophy. Eating more protein helps avoid that. However, if you're a bigger guy and are just looking to stay where you're at, you can reduce your protein since the additional carbs with help you keep your size.

At the end of the day, I can program 50%/30%/20% and will be successful with most people. Nobody likes slamming down that much meat, but it works.

Cudder

Has anyone ever done reverse grip CGBP? I don't know if that's a thing or not, but I've tried it a few times and it feels pretty good on my tris.

I still have a few more weeks to go and I'm white as hell but I'm getting there. Actually do think I've put on some size but not much. To be expected with a 2 month bulk. My legs might be where most of it went.

Pre bulk 185

End of my bulk on 1-7-14. About 203-205

Taken today. Here's three. 191

1st is unflexed

Next 2 are slightly flexed
Look at this guy, great job my man. Really proud of all the work you've done. So impressive. Thanks for being a big motivator for me these past couple of months.

What a champ

abuC

The face pulls are doing wonders for my shoulders, two times a week I do around 10-12 sets worth of face pulls to finish off my routines. The pain is going down week by week, and I've been doing a lot of movements for flexibility. I'm taking things slow and steady right now, did incline Db bench for the first time in almost a month on Friday and it went well. My shoulders will rise from the ashes....

Will be going to Puerto Rico, Brazil and Colombia this year too!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The face pulls are doing wonders for my shoulders, two times a week I do around 10-12 sets worth of face pulls to finish off my routines. The pain is going down week by week, and I've been doing a lot of movements for flexibility. I'm taking things slow and steady right now, did incline Db bench for the first time in almost a month on Friday and it went well. My shoulders will rise from the ashes....

Will be going to Puerto Rico, Brazil and Colombia this year too!

Great to hear man.
Have you seen this Rippetoe video on the LTE? When done like this it's a compound movement and quite different from the standard skullcrusher, which definitely puts pressure on the elbow like you described in your previous post. Of course CGBP is great too.

This is how I do them. I used to link the shit out of this video.

Tag me as another fan of LTEs and CGBP (and variants of such). Even for bodybuilding they do wonders for your triceps. I have not found anything that really burns my tris than some good LTEs. I do not CGBP as much as I should, but it is included in some fashion in all my push workouts.

Quite honestly though. I stress this a lot in my posts, but I am a fan of a KISS approach to lifting. It's great to ask for suggested lifts and routines to get the results you want, but at the end of the workout I try to do lifts that I like to do. I do exercises that feel right for me and help me concentrate on the muscles I want to work. ESPECIALLY in regards to isolation lifts.

Sometimes it's not always a great thing to copy what someone else does. It may just not click with you. Unless you're doing some crazy and wacky shit, if you're tiring your muscles, you're working them. Good job, eat, grow, do it again.

I know this isn't really warranted to say or even directed at anyone. I just want to remind you guys of it when you plan your routines, especially the newer guys.

I remember one day when I lifted at my Uni gym... I was bored with my biceps workout and did those overhead cable curls. (Like doing a double bi pose) The next day in the gym.... everyone was doing it, I kid you not. I didn't even think they were worth a spot in anyone's workout, but I guess people thought they worked for me, lol.

Cooter

Look at this guy, great job my man. Really proud of all the work you've done. So impressive. Thanks for being a big motivator for me these past couple of months.

What a champ

As hard as it is to believe that I motivate you I know you are sincere so thanks big guy.

Just trying to be the best me I can be!

Have you seen this Rippetoe video on the LTE? When done like this it's a compound movement and quite different from the standard skullcrusher, which definitely puts pressure on the elbow like you described in your previous post. Of course CGBP is great too.

Yo, if rippetoe can make a powerlifting move out of this exercise, guess I shouldn't discard it just yet. I'll check my form again.

Tag me as another fan of LTEs and CGBP (and variants of such). Even for bodybuilding they do wonders for your triceps. I have not found anything that really burns my tris than some good LTEs. I do not CGBP as much as I should, but it is included in some fashion in all my push workouts.

Quite honestly though. I stress this a lot in my posts, but I am a fan of a KISS approach to lifting. It's great to ask for suggested lifts and routines to get the results you want, but at the end of the workout I try to do lifts that I like to do. I do exercises that feel right for me and help me concentrate on the muscles I want to work. ESPECIALLY in regards to isolation lifts.

Sometimes it's not always a great thing to copy what someone else does. It may just not click with you. Unless you're doing some crazy and wacky shit, if you're tiring your muscles, you're working them. Good job, eat, grow, do it again.

I know this isn't really warranted to say or even directed at anyone. I just want to remind you guys of it when you plan your routines, especially the newer guys.

I remember one day when I lifted at my Uni gym... I was bored with my biceps workout and did those overhead cable curls. (Like doing a double bi pose) The next day in the gym.... everyone was doing it, I kid you not. I didn't even think they were worth a spot in anyone's workout, but I guess people thought they worked for me, lol.

I also like to keep it simple. I do the exercises that work for me and discard those that hurt me more than giving results. The problem with triceps is that none of them feel right, but I knew you guys would give me some good recommendations.

I use suicide grip also. Just feels right. Man, my hands are quite a bit closer together than you two. I wonder if I will be able to push more by bringing them farther apart? Hmmmm

Yeah, I use a close grip too, with the edge of the knurling sitting between ring and pinkie fingers. Maybe they have wider shoulders/longer arms/bars where the knurling is much closer together.

Petrie

Banned
So in an effort to be more supportive of my girlfriend's fitness and weight-loss efforts since she's been weight training with me, I went to a spin class with her. I should have lifted first because holy shit was I exhausted, and my butt hurts like hell today!

Not a bad little cardio session, though I'm not sure how often I'll be returning. I feel like this would get in the way of them strength gains. Then again I might be alright with that if doing both together helps on the relationship side as well.

What say you GAF?

Szu

So in an effort to be more supportive of my girlfriend's fitness and weight-loss efforts since she's been weight training with me, I went to a spin class with her. I should have lifted first because holy shit was I exhausted, and my butt hurts like hell today!

Not a bad little cardio session, though I'm not sure how often I'll be returning. I feel like this would get in the way of them strength gains. Then again I might be alright with that if doing both together helps on the relationship side as well.

What say you GAF?

I did Zumba with my wife once a week before she got pregnant. I used it to replace my cardio day. Personally, I scheduled my time around the Zumba class. I was even crazy enough to do it after some leg days.

However, it felt great to support my wife.

Plus, I get to check out all the Zumba chicks without any guilt because my wife insists that I learn the proper movements.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Height: 184cm / 6.03f
Weight: 67kg / 147,70lbs
Goal: 80-82kg
Current Training Schedule: Full body workout from page 1
Current Training Equipment Available: I have a small gym at uni I can use, bought a foam roller and a tennis ball

Comments:
Hi Gaf, this is my first post iin this thread and I hope I don't mess up anything! I started reading the OP, because I don't feel comfortable anymore with myself. I am a pretty skinny dude and I have kind of a feeling, that sometimes people don't take me seriously because I look like a weakling. Also I really want to do sport, but was mostly too lazy. I have finally found the courage to simply go to the gym and do it, without any fear or reservation.

I started reading "Starting strength" and it's a great read, though it can get a bit difficult sometimes, especially since English is not my first language lol

I am doing the GOMAD diet right now, to get to the weight I wanna have.

Now I also have some questions: First, I am struggling with the pull ups. I can barely do 1 pull-up or maybe 2-3 chin ups and not even complete. The OP's program says to do 8-15, which seems impossible for me right now... Should I just keep at it or exchange it for something else?
Also, what are some basic stomach/arm exercises that I can add to the "if desired" point?
I have found somebody who wants to go to the gym with me, so I have somebody who can look at my posture and vice versa etc, which is pretty nice.

Any tips and tricks for a total beginner? All help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Edit: Also after doing all the exercises, especially the deadlift, I really felt my lower back. Not painful, but noticable. Is that something that's not supposed to be? Did I mess something up during the exercise?

ACE 1991

I strained the shit out of my lower back deadlifting again... I might just bag this exercise until I can figure out how I can fix this.

Current Training Equipment Available: I have a small gym at uni I can use, bought a foam roller and a tennis ball

Comments:
Hi Gaf, this is my first post iin this thread and I hope I don't mess up anything! I started reading the OP, because I don't feel comfortable anymore with myself. I am a pretty skinny dude and I have kind of a feeling, that sometimes people don't take me seriously because I look like a weakling. Also I really want to do sport, but was mostly too lazy. I have finally found the courage to simply go to the gym and do it, without any fear or reservation.

I started reading "Starting strength" and it's a great read, though it can get a bit difficult sometimes, especially since English is not my first language lol

Now I also have some questions: First, I am struggling with the pull ups. I can barely do 1 pull-up or maybe 2-3 chin ups and not even complete. The OP's program says to do 8-15, which seems impossible for me right now... Should I just keep at it or exchange it for something else?
Also, what are some basic stomach/arm exercises that I can add to the "if desired" point?
I have found somebody who wants to go to the gym with me, so I have somebody who can look at my posture and vice versa etc, which is pretty nice.

Edit: Also after doing all the exercises, especially the deadlift, I really felt my lower back. Not painful, but noticable. Is that something that's not supposed to be? Did I mess something up during the exercise?

when I first started deadlifting with weight as low as 135 my back would get sore for the first month. I think this may have been due to having a weak lower pack. Eventually though it gets stronger and I'm up to over 300 now and I get none of that same soreness

Chocobro

Comments:

Welcome! I am writing this on my phone so please excuse the poor formatting.

For pull-ups and chin-ups, I would buy a resistance band from EliteFTS (a red mini band IIRC) and do band assisted pull/chin-ups. What you do is loop it around the pull-up bar, pull the band down and put your shin on it or step on it, get into position, do the lift. The band will give you the most assistance at the bottom position and help you up. Eventually you won't need the band and be able to do a few pull or chin-ups. 8-15 is just a guideline I guess. I can only do 7 band-assisted pull-ups and 7 unassisted chin-ups at the moment.

Also with the resistance band, you can do face-pulls, band pull-aparts, shoulder dislocations, and other shoulder mobility stretches. I would also invest in the grey color resistance band for lower body stretches/warm-ups.

I'm not sure if many of us will agree on you doing GOMAD. It's just an extreme way of putting on weight and is not sustainable. Maybe the others can chime in because I would be the last person to talk about nutrition.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Welcome! I am writing this on my phone so please excuse the poor formatting.

For pull-ups and chin-ups, I would buy a resistance band from EliteFTS (a red mini band IIRC) and do band assisted pull/chin-ups. What you do is loop it around the pull-up bar, pull the band down and put your shin on it or step on it, get into position, do the lift. The band will give you the most assistance at the bottom position and help you up. Eventually you won't need the band and be able to do a few pull or chin-ups. 8-15 is just a guideline I guess. I can only do 7 band-assisted pull-ups and 7 unassisted chin-ups at the moment.

Also with the resistance band, you can do face-pulls, band pull-up arts, shoulder dislocations, and other shoulder mobility stretches. I would also invest in the grey color resistance band for lower body stretches/warm-ups.

I'm not sure if many of us will agree on you doing GOMAD. It's just an extreme way of putting on weight and is not sustainable. Maybe the others can chime in because I would be the last person to talk about nutrition.

Hi thanks for the answer! Sounds good I will definitely look into that!

Regarding GOMAD, I would love to have some input here. I've read mostly positive stuff about it, especially since my body type seems to fit into the scheme of "tall but skinny" and I hardly ever gained weight. So I assumed it would work for me. But if there is something I need to be careful of etc, please tell me! I love feedback!

Cudder

Hi thanks for the answer! Sounds good I will definitely look into that!

Regarding GOMAD, I would love to have some input here. I've read mostly positive stuff about it, especially since my body type seems to fit into the scheme of "tall but skinny" and I hardly ever gained weight. So I assumed it would work for me. But if there is something I need to be careful of etc, please tell me! I love feedback!

Just eat at a slight calorie surplus and lift. You'll gain weight.

I need some advice from fitness GAF. I've been extremely skinny and physically weak my entire life. This problem was exacerbated by a doctor saying "no lifting weights" while I was on growth hormone during my teenage years. I won't give a number, and just simply say that I struggle to lift any amount of weight.

Height: 5'5
Weight: 105-110
Goal: Get stronger?

I am looking for a regimen that focuses mostly (or entirely) on calisthenics for building up strength. Things like push-ups and such are something I can do fairly easily. I don't have weights at home, and due to crippling self esteem issues I won't go to a gym until I can lift a decent amount of weight. I know some people will try to assure me that gyms are typically non-judgmental. My paranoia and social anxiety are sadly not rational, so no amount of reassurance like that is actually going to help me overcome those issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not exactly looking to put on muscle right now. Gaining strength so that I could do more serious lifting later is my main goal I suppose.

Cudder

105lbs and wants to forego muscle building and focus on strength first? Doesn't make sense to me. As a total beginner one will come with the other. EAT MORE. What is your diet like?

And yeah, when people usually say they're too scared/embarrassed to go to the gym I always roll my eyes. How are you going to live your whole life with such a social anxiety/fear? Guess what, going to the gym and improving yourself physically is the perfect way to work on your insecurities and fears. The guys at the gym couldn't give a shit less whether you're there or not.

SeanR1221

I need some advice from fitness GAF. I've been extremely skinny and physically weak my entire life. This problem was exacerbated by a doctor saying "no lifting weights" while I was on growth hormone during my teenage years. I won't give a number, and just simply say that I struggle to lift any amount of weight.

Height: 5'5
Weight: 105-110
Goal: Get stronger?

I am looking for a regimen that focuses mostly (or entirely) on calisthenics for building up strength. Things like push-ups and such are something I can do fairly easily. I don't have weights at home, and due to crippling self esteem issues I won't go to a gym until I can lift a decent amount of weight. I know some people will try to assure me that gyms are typically non-judgmental. My paranoia and social anxiety are sadly not rational, so no amount of reassurance like that is actually going to help me overcome those issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not exactly looking to put on muscle right now. Gaining strength so that I could do more serious lifting later is my main goal I suppose.

What has you the most apprehensive about the gym?

If it's the thought that putting up low weight is embarrassing, you're not magically going to put up higher weight after months of push-ups. You need to practice the movements. A lot of guys have started with the bar. Proper movement >>> the amount of weight you can put on. I'm impressed by someone just squatting the bar properly anymore.

What has you the most apprehensive about the gym?

If it's the thought that putting up low weight is embarrassing, you're not magically going to put up higher weight after months of push-ups. You need to practice the movements. A lot of guys have started with the bar. Proper movement >>> the amount of weight you can put on. I'm impressed by someone just squatting the bar properly anymore.

I am not talking about benching. I mean even things like bicep curls. And being in public in general is something I struggle with. Lifelong problem.

Also I don't even know if I could do the bar.

Can you literally not get any degree stronger doing calisthenics?

Anyway good to see Cuddler so annoyed by my ignorance on the subject.

despire

Proper movement >>> the amount of weight you can put on. I'm impressed by someone just squatting the bar properly anymore.

This.

Last time we were at the gym there was this dude and his GF doing squats. Afterwards my GF came to me all depressed because she squats so little weight where as that much shorter girl squatted 150lbs for reps. I reminded her that the other girl and her boyfriend weren't even hitting parallel (only got about half way down if that) so it doesn't fucking matter how much they were using for weight.

SeanR1221

I am not talking about benching. I mean even things like bicep curls. And being in public in general is something I struggle with. Lifelong problem.

I'm not just talking about benching either, and bicep curls aren't the best for a beginner to get stronger.

Sure you can get stronger doing some calisthenics but as a beginner you'll get some strength literally doing anything.

I'm confused by your goals though. What's your diet like? What's your short term goal? (6 months). Long term? (A year from now).

Cudder

Dumbbells start as low as 2.5 lbs for a reason.

Husker86

Do you have any room/disposable income to slowly start building a home gym?

A bench and adjustable dumbbell set can go a long way, and actually don't take up much room at all. Throw in some bands and a pullup bar and you'll be alright until/if you get a rack and olympic bar.

Do you have any room/disposable income to slowly start building a home gym?

A bench and adjustable dumbbell set can go a long way, and actually don't take up much room at all. Throw in some bands and a pullup bar and you'll be alright until/if you get a rack and olympic bar.

I do. But currently live in a college dorm. I suppose once I settle down I could have a home gym.

I'm not just talking about benching either, and bicep curls aren't the best for a beginner to get stronger.

Sure you can get stronger doing some calisthenics but as a beginner you'll get some strength literally doing anything.

I'm confused by your goals though. What's your diet like? What's your short term goal? (6 months). Long term? (A year from now).

I uh... Honestly don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom