• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

Just a general "thank you" to the FitGaffers who recommended front squat with only the first two fingers. I did it that way this morning, and it did feel much more comfortable, even at a slightly heavier weight. My wrists don't have those nasty looking pressure marks either.

Just a general "thank you" to the FitGaffers who recommended front squat with only the first two fingers. I did it that way this morning, and it did feel much more comfortable, even at a slightly heavier weight. My wrists don't have those nasty looking pressure marks either.

Yup I went through the same thing with front squats a few months ago. It really does save your wrists by only using a couple of fingers.

Anyone successfully make the switch from night sessions (lifting) to morning sessions? I have a baby coming in July and I'm 100% sure I'm going to want to play with her after work rather than working out. If so, any advice on how to get that same energy level, consistency, etc. in the morning (I am usually in work at 8, so I'm talking 5:30 lifting).

Thanks!

Late reply but I made the switch a few years ago and love lifting in the mornings. What you need to do is slowly get your body switched over to falling asleep earlier and getting up earlier. The way I did this was starting to set my alarm clock 15 minutes earlier everyday until I hit the time I wanted to get up at. Your gonna be groggy as hell at first but what you need to do is get some food in you, some cool morning air, and put some music on. Its a really great way of starting out the day.

Ekdrm2d1

Since I never post in this thread I feel out of place when ever I do.

Met a lady, we've been "dating" for 3 months. She's a little on the heavy side but also recently lost 30 lbs. from eating healthier. Now she wants me to get her in-shape since see she's how muscular I am, and how I lost 50 lbs.

It's going to be a little challenging to train a person starting from the bottom. Today we're going to do "running and abs." Lose weight and get a nice stomach factor. But.. she can't run probably. She can't do crunches probably. I'll have to start off by walking a block, then slow-jogging a block.

Going to be really cool, I'll be the personal trainer! I mean, I know the basics of running, weight lifting, abdominal work, and eating healthy. Would hate to sound pushy though. It takes a lot of work! Strength to resist french fries and Mexican food. Strength to exercise on a scheduled routine, etc.

Yup I went through the same thing with front squats a few months ago. It really does save your wrists by only using a couple of fingers.

Are you guys talking about front squats? Otherwise, work on your flexibility instead of ignoring the real problem.

Are you guys talking about front squats? Otherwise, work on your flexibility instead of ignoring the real problem.

I have definitely made my shoulders and arms more flexible by doing front squats, but there is no reason to have the bar fully grabbed with all fingers. They are on the bar to balance it, not fully grip it.

I have definitely made my shoulders and arms more flexible by doing front squats, but there is no reason to have the bar fully grabbed with all fingers. They are on the bar to balance it, not fully grip it.

I know that's why I included the "otherwise". You should fully grip on back squat.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Met a lady, we've been "dating" for 3 months. She's a little on the heavy side but also recently lost 30 lbs. from eating healthier. Now she wants me to get her in-shape since see she's how muscular I am, and how I lost 50 lbs.

It's going to be a little challenging to train a person starting from the bottom. Today we're going to do "running and abs." Lose weight and get a nice stomach factor. But.. she can't run probably. She can't do crunches probably. I'll have to start off by walking a block, then slow-jogging a block.

Going to be really cool, I'll be the personal trainer! I mean, I know the basics of running, weight lifting, abdominal work, and eating healthy. Would hate to sound pushy though. It takes a lot of work! Strength to resist french fries and Mexican food. Strength to exercise on a scheduled routine, etc.
You should post more. You're my own personal ego booster!

Regarding the training, tread lightly my friend. It's a tight rope you're now walking...

You should post more. You're my own personal ego booster!

Regarding the training, tread lightly my friend. It's a tight rope you're now walking...

Anyone can be a "PT", I know you've seen them in your gyms.

As long as his goal is to actually help her he is already better than 95% of them out there.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anyone can be a "PT", I know you've seen them in your gyms.

As long as his goal is to actually help her he is already better than 95% of them out there.
I was referring to training a woman he's dating. It's tricky.

SeanR1221

450lb squat. Video tonight or on my FB page. +5 lb max. Nice and deep too. Was a bad grinder though.

Just watched. Nice and deep. Nice job

---

Thanks for all the support guys. Qwark, I think she did get an EKG (I'm terrible with medical stuff). I'll ask her when she gets home later. But it's good to know.

Also, trying to clean up my ohp, I hit 135x2

http://youtu.be/5ZKUKGU0F3I

So close to 3 reps :(

Solid! Some possible things to try:

-Widen your feet. Not by a whole lot, but it may help with stability
-If you aren't already, squeeze dem glutes. Helps stay solid as well
-When I unrack weight for a press, like cuevas said, I try to get my lats involved. As a cue, think of your lats "supporting" your upper arms in the rack position. Helps to take a big breath before your first rep, too
-I think you could have definitely had that third rep! Try to work on getting the bar closer to your head/face and getting underneath the bar ASAP once it clears your head

SeanR1221

Solid! Some possible things to try:

-Widen your feet. Not by a whole lot, but it may help with stability
-If you aren't already, squeeze dem glutes. Helps stay solid as well
-When I unrack weight for a press, like cuevas said, I try to get my lats involved. As a cue, think of your lats "supporting" your upper arms in the rack position. Helps to take a big breath before your first rep, too
-I think you could have definitely had that third rep! Try to work on getting the bar closer to your head/face and getting underneath the bar ASAP once it clears your head

All really great advice. Thank you!

I think I'll be de loading after this and trying to break rep PRs with even better form.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
she might wanna get that checked out (get an ekg) And see if she has an irregular heartbeat. I had svt, and caffeine is not the only thing that can cause your heart to beat quickly. Mostly happened to me when I would take a weird step running cross country, or take a hit in the chest playing basketball.

anyways its pretty serious. Your heart doesn't fully pump blood when you're in tachycardia and therefore your body doesn't get the oxygenated blood it needs. Luckily mine was fixed with an ablation and I haven't had any issues with it since. Been about 6 years.

edit: whenever my heart went into tachycardia, it lasted forever until I coughed funny or gagged on those popsicle stick things. First time it happened in PE my junior yr, we had hear rate monitors on. didn't know what was going on and it lasted until I went to the nurse next hour and she gagged me with the stick, which fixed it. My friends all said I was super pale at the time.

Holy crap I had the same thing, fixed via ablation 12 years ago. Mine started when I was six and was misdiagnosed until I was about 10, then had the surgery after a bad episode at 17. Same type of triggers as you and was always terrifying. Mine was so hard to stop even using valsalva that I've had a few induced heart "resets" (aka stopping and restarting my heart) in the ER. My poor parents nearly fainted after my BPM went from 200 to 0 in a second.

I'm all good now, no real issues since the surgery, just wanted to share because I've never met anyone that had the same thing.

Yep, for front squats, the two-finger approach just seems significantly more comfortable without feeling like I'm going to lose control of the weight.

Szu

Eventually, you need to include squats. You need to add the booty factor.

All really great advice. Thank you!

I think I'll be de loading after this and trying to break rep PRs with even better form.

NP! OHP has always been my weakest lift, so I've spent a while trying to figure out what works for me. That stuff, plus a belt, has been a big help to me lately.

I don't want to be overly critical (and, certainly, you're pressing more than I can), but it looks like your heels come off the ground just slightly on the 2nd rep. Maybe the smallest amount of leg drive in there? I'm not sure and you should still feel like a beast either way. Just wanted to point it out as you consider how to improve your form (which, to my relatively untrained eye, doesn't seem bad).

Xater

Tuesday I set foot into a gym for the first time of my life. It was actually totally alright. The plan is to in tomorrow again but the muscles in my arms and back still really fucking hurt. Hope that is over tomorrow...

SeanR1221

NP! OHP has always been my weakest lift, so I've spent a while trying to figure out what works for me. That stuff, plus a belt, has been a big help to me lately.

Yeah same here. I'm in no rush to put a big number up, so a de load could do me good.

Maybe it's just me, but those two reps looked pretty easy for you. I wasn't expecting failure at 3.

At what point are you breathing? Doing so at the top instead of the bottom helped me break through 135.

For me at least the triceps can go from awesome to nope in a matter of seconds :p

I don't want to be overly critical (and, certainly, you're pressing more than I can), but it looks like your heels come off the ground just slightly on the 2nd rep. Maybe the smallest amount of leg drive in there? I'm not sure and you should still feel like a beast either way. Just wanted to point it out as you consider how to improve your form (which, to my relatively untrained eye, doesn't seem bad).

This is actually a good point. I should really wear my oly shoes for this

Cooper

Yes, I'm referring specifically to front squats. The grips for my other lifts are pretty standard. I'm also working to increase flexibility in general, but it's a slow process.

This is actually a good point. I should really wear my oly shoes for this

Give it a shot, but FWIW, I find the added heel throws off my center of gravity. It's SLIGHT, but with something like the OHP, it's enough to make the bar drift forward and become more difficult to "shoot" under.

Well, the pre workout c4 sent my wife to the ER. She's ok now but she's definitely never taking it again. ER doctor was surprisingly knowledgable on these things. Said since the FDA doesn't regulate it, she may have gotten a more concentrated dosage. Also mentioned the only things worth taking are creatine and whey (if you don't have time to eat chicken or tuna). I was impressed.

Anyway, stick to black coffee, people!!

Damn just read this, glad she's ok. I always considered C4 to be pretty mild since they sell that stuff at Costco. It never hit me as hard as Juggernaut or Craze. I quit a long time ago and have gotten used to just black coffee

Cudder

Any particular reason? Not that all your numbers won't come back fairly quickly but 3 weeks is quite the break.

Nothing wrong with that. Get some rest and come back ready to go.

And I feel already fat just 4 days into my rest week. Yesterday I downed a XL domino's pizza. Can't wait to do something next week, I'm not resting another whole week.

Probably a myriad of small reasons:

1. In January I tweaked my right shoulder doing heavy front raises, and it hasn't fully healed yet. It doesn't hurt, but it definitely feels uncomfortable to me doing certain exercises. Even just leaning on an arm rest while sitting was enough to make me feel sore in my shoulder. This isn't the first time I've had this too, so I know it will go away in due time (already feeling much better with this time off).

2. Girlfriend's father recently had heart surgery (he's okay and recovering!). It kind of threw off my schedule a bit being in a hospital for long periods of time, for days in a row. Not that I "blame" having to be in a hospital (I was still planning on gyming it through these periods), but I just decided to err on the side of caution and take it easy.

3. I've been extremely happy with my results over these last few months as I built up my numbers on my lifts, and was at or very near the point where I couldn't take them further. A part of me wanted this little break, after being super strict and setting PR's week in and week out since September. I know it won't be long until I get back to where I was whenever I decide to go back to the gym. I actually think I might re-jig my program when I get back to more of a Bodybuilding style. These last few months, though I've been putting up some great numbers for me on the main compounds, I've neglected nearly every other exercise when I did my workout. The main lifts took so much out of me that if I had completed my lift for that day, I would totally slack off the rest of the workout and not push myself. Sometimes I would just come in, do my main lift, and go home because I didn't feel like doing anything else. I think I need a little bit of away-time from the gym to get me to miss it a bit, so when I get back I put in a little more effort.

So yeah, that's pretty much it, I guess. I seem to do this about once a year, where I take an extended period off. I believe the last time I did this was December 2012.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tuesday I set foot into a gym for the first time of my life. It was actually totally alright. The plan is to in tomorrow again but the muscles in my arms and back still really fucking hurt. Hope that is over tomorrow...

You'll work it out brother! Welcome!

BumRush

Late reply but I made the switch a few years ago and love lifting in the mornings. What you need to do is slowly get your body switched over to falling asleep earlier and getting up earlier. The way I did this was starting to set my alarm clock 15 minutes earlier everyday until I hit the time I wanted to get up at. Your gonna be groggy as hell at first but what you need to do is get some food in you, some cool morning air, and put some music on. Its a really great way of starting out the day.

Thank you! I'll try this out...did your strength suffer?

It'll be OK if it isn't, it's called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, DOMS, and it happens to everyone after the first time. You aren't injured, in fact working out again will help the muscles feel better. Tonight take a hot bath or use a heating pad to increase blood flow to the sore areas.

Thank you! I'll try this out...did your strength suffer?

Nope. I actually feel better lifting in the morning. I feel like when I fully wake up is when I'm the strongest. I feel for me that lifting at the end of the day is counter productive for me as I'm not 100%. Make sure to do warm up sets though to get the blood pumping.

sphinx

the piano man

I don't know how to explain it Sean but there is a moment, right there when you unrack and have the weight on the chest but before you proceed to do the first rep. where you have to come to terms with the weight and feel "o.k" with it there instead of hurrying up because "daaamn, this is heavy!", I am not saying to stay or wait longer there and "enjoy" lol, but keep your whole self stable through the whole thing, right before the first rep. I am not talking about bad form here either, it's more about the mental part of the lift.

when we see pro guys squatting, they aren't stressed doing the move or hurrying up, they are trying to be as aware as possible of their body and trying to keep that mental and physical stability throughout the whole set, which begins when you get a grip, not with the first rep.

judging by how it looked, you have it in you to do 3 or 4 reps on that weight and this is probably a mental thing.

Brolic once talked about it, I don't remember everything but it was about coming to terms with the weight, that it wasn't ever going to feel easy, I remember those ideas and they have helped me, specially in the presses, I'd just freak out, and form would go to shit(not your case) and try to do as many reps as possible in as little time because I wanted to feel well and proud about more reps but the weight was too much to bear. With that mindest, the set already began with the left foot, breathing wrong, not putting attention to detail and rushing through the set.

if this really doesn't help, I am sorry, I'll edit and let's forget about it.

I thought I recommended that to Cooter...

Between him you and Cudder I can't keep track of what's what.

Next time actually CLEAN up your OHP and count it as a rep ;)

I thought I recommended that to Cooter...

Between him you and Cudder I can't keep track of what's what.

Seriously Cooper, Cudder, and Cooter are horrible people for sharing such similar names. I also hide avatars, so you can only imagine how difficult it is for me. I constantly have to re-check who posted what.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's going to be like that for a little while, but it's totally fine! After a few weeks/months of consistent training once your progress starts to slow down, you'll start to miss getting really sore muscles.

Sigh, I've been feeling some slight pain in my lower back for almost a week, as if something were wrong with my kidneys. It's not even uncomfortable but it has me worried. I was hoping it was some muscle pain from doing squats, but it's been 4 days since my last squat and it's not like it strained my core much to have this feeling for so long. I guess I overdid it with the protein, but I swear I never went above 170g and the average intake was more like 140-150g.

I'll wait one more week before going to the doctor. Is there some specific test I should ask them to do if I suspect there's an issue with my kidneys?

Szu

Seriously Cooper, Cudder, and Cooter are horrible people for sharing such similar names. I also hide avatars, so you can only imagine how difficult it is for me. I constantly have to re-check who posted what.

Wait till someone joins as Cutter.

Cooper

I can ask the mods to change my name to something unique. How about Broccoli Gulper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom