• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here's the squat.
450 squat.

http://youtu.be/vDYhCvzzPLw

Also, trying to clean up my ohp, I hit 135x2

So close to 3 reps :(

OHP tips.

I use oly shoes.

Narrow stance (mine is damn near military style close about an inch from touching at the heels), narrow grip (thumbs from the smooth), suicide grip.

Deep breath, flare lats to make shelf out of chest unrack bat high on chest just below neck, engage ass, bring hips forward and at th same time thrust the weight up.

Profit.

ACE 1991

I seriously think at this point that I must have some sort of medical condition related to my terrible progress; I received growth hormone shots as a young teen for a pituitary gland issue, maybe whatever that issue was is affecting my utterly pitiful gains. I bulk and get fat and barely gain strength or size. I never miss a workout and always get my calories and protein. I've been lifting a year and I'm still pretty much always the weakest dude in the gym and am quickly surpassed by guys who I know for a fucking fact don't watch what they eat to the extent that I do. I really, really enjoy lifting but I'm sick of blowing a huge dick at it. Sorry for the rant, ya'll, I know it seems whingey as hell but I'm just very frustrated.

Was asked to post here from the WL thread.

What kind of workout routine should I follow along with my diet (most important!) for WL?

It looks like full body routine is best, but from the OP, I know things like bench press or pull ups would be difficult for me currently.

Any ideas?

I have http://www.jefit.com/ on my phone and plan to use it to keep track of my routine.

Thanks

This is what I built out:
j2IMbbC.png

Xp8Zs1d.png

Let me know what needs to change.

grumble

I seriously think at this point that I must have some sort of medical condition related to my terrible progress; I received growth hormone shots as a young teen for a pituitary gland issue, maybe whatever that issue was is affecting my utterly pitiful gains. I bulk and get fat and barely gain strength or size. I never miss a workout and always get my calories and protein. I've been lifting a year and I'm still pretty much always the weakest dude in the gym and am quickly surpassed by guys who I know for a fucking fact don't watch what they eat to the extent that I do. I really, really enjoy lifting but I'm sick of blowing a huge dick at it. Sorry for the rant, ya'll, I know it seems whingey as hell but I'm just very frustrated.

It might be worth taking a closer loo at your routine. Do you miss any workouts? Height/weight/age? What is your training plan? Let's troubleshoot.

SeanR1221

Sphinx, what you say makes perfect sense. My nerves were shot leading up to that press lol

OHP tips.

I use oly shoes.

Narrow stance (mine is damn near military style close about an inch from touching at the heels), narrow grip (thumbs from the smooth), suicide grip.

Deep breath, flare lats to make shelf out of chest unrack bat high on chest just below neck, engage ass, bring hips forward and at th same time thrust the weight up.

Profit.

All great tips, sir. I appreciate the outpouring of advice for this ohp. It's why I love this community.

This is what I built out:
j2IMbbC.png

Xp8Zs1d.png

Let me know what needs to change.

I would dump the dumbbell exercises and do barbell movements instead, especially since you're an absolute beginner. What's your current diet like? I know you have a weight loss goal and since you're 290 (right?) I want to get an idea of what our everyday diet is like.

Szu

Here's the squat.
450 squat.

OHP tips.

I use oly shoes.

Profit.

You're feeling the low bar, nice.

Good tips on the OHP. I must remember to engage ass.

Here's the squat.
450 squat.

OHP tips.

I use oly shoes.

Profit.

You know what I love about your lifts. Not only is the weight impressive but you maintain great form throughout. I swear everyone in my gym half reps everything

Does your chest typically come that far forward on your way up?

Szu

How can these guys be wrong though? They all look like Brad Pitt in fight club after like 3 months at the local CrossFit gym. That doesn't make any sense unless CrossFit is just better.

Well, I don't know how much it costs for any locations near you, but if you don't mind the cost then go for it.

The truth is, for a newbie, any engaging physical activity will get a person in shape (of course, time frame varies). If someone was a complete newb, then walking for an hour can eventually help to get them in shape.

Now, there's a chance that you might be trolling, but it's a Friday, it's sunny out, and I'm in a good mood so I don't care.

SeanR1221

I thought the avatar and near identical name would make it obvious. I was wrong. Lol

You don't belong here. You can giiiiiit out!!

---

So I've hit an odd point in my cut. Tomorrow's my next weigh in but for the past 3 weeks I've stalled at 14lbs lost (206lbs). However, my jeans belt is now 2 notches smaller from when I started. And my lifting belt is almost 3 notches down, which is where it was when I was in the low 190s. I still fill out my XL shirts and polos (large is way too tight up top) so I feel like I'm retaining size but shrinking my stomach? But staying the same weight? I might be looking at this all wrong and be way off base but I see it as a really good thing.

---

So I've hit an odd point in my cut. Tomorrow's my next weigh in but for the past 3 weeks I've stalled at 14lbs lost (206lbs). However, my jeans belt is now 2 notches smaller from when I started. And my lifting belt is almost 3 notches down, which is where it was when I was in the low 190s. I still fill out my XL shirts and polos (large is way too tight up top) so I feel like I'm retaining size but shrinking my stomach? But staying the same weight? I might be looking at this all wrong and be way off base but I see it as a really good thing.

This is a fantastic thing. Smaller waist, smaller belt size, but weight the same? You are doing it right.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
205 lbs bench press does not seem to be getting easier. been at it for 4 weeks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You know what I love about your lifts. Not only is the weight impressive but you maintain great form throughout. I swear everyone in my gym half reps everything

Does your chest typically come that far forward on your way up?

My chest actually stayed more upright there than it ever has before. It's not uncommon to come forward a bit though.

You're feeling the low bar, nice.

Good tips on the OHP. I must remember to engage ass.

Yeah it's helped immensely.

Lots of majesty here. A majestic fucking squat.

Lol. Thanks bud.

Brolic, I tried looking back and couldn't find the page.

Which stationary bike did you end up getting? Do you love it?

Schwin airdyne bike. And yeah it's awesome.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yesterday my friend and I were OHPing and a pretty thin guy was (oh..145ish) getting ready to bench 205 . I looked at him and said, I've got a feeling this will either be a bunch of half reps or he barely gets one legit rep. He didn't have a spotter so I was actually a little concerned. Well, he proceeds to bust out 5 or 6 real quality reps! It was one of the most impressive things I've seen in there in a long time. Every now and then people surprise you.

---

have you looked into maybe doing weekly progress pics instead of weigh ins?

I think the top of my buttcrack is sore from benching so much. DAT arch.

I watched a lot of the form vids that people were posting and feel like its been a big help. The amount I'm able to bench has gone down but I contribute that to being on a cut and trying to get used to leg drive. The nice thing is that I no longer get the pain I used to get in my triceps and i feel more stable overall

Here's my 160kg/353lbs 5x10 back squat from tonight. Only had 3-4 hours of sleep last night so I was dead tired. Boxers ripped apart on second set lol

Man, buy some compression shorts for squats/deadlifts. You'll never go back.

Wait till someone joins as Cutter.

I can ask the mods to change my name to something unique. How about Broccoli Gulper?

I also get confused every time the "Let's talk about ska" thread pops up in OT. I always think it is "Let's talk about soka"

J. Bravo

I watched a lot of the form vids that people were posting and feel like its been a big help. The amount I'm able to bench has gone down but I contribute that to being on a cut and trying to get used to leg drive. The nice thing is that I no longer get the pain I used to get in my triceps and i feel more stable overall
yeah I will hunt them down and watch some of those but I think my farm is pretty decent. Ive tweaked it a bunch over the years. Breathing is the only thing I have to think about now.

Since this account was signed up in 2007, it's safe to say that you have anticipated this for a very, very long time.

I completely forgot I even had it. This is my handle on literally every other sit and service I use, and I was logging in to see when my ban would be lifted, only to use my usual handle/password and have it log me in.

On another topic, any of my FitGAF friends here going to be going to PAX East next month? Would love to get some faces to go with some names and share a brotein shake!

Quick question does anyone knows some exercises to lose the fat on the lower back ?

You cannot target fat loss to specific regions. You can build muscle in certain regions, but that is it. People that do crunches to lose belly fat are not going to succeed without something else, such as calorie restriction, that will cause them to actually lose fat.

Cooter

Well that's the problem :/ I workout 5 days a week. I only drink Water and redbull (at a minimum) and don't eat any fastfood :/
Well you're doing something right with the Red Bull at least! Only way to know is tracking your calories and adjusting when needed. How many calories do you roughly consume a day?

Mistah

Well I only eat about once a day. So I get up drink water a bit , then starbucks until the evening and then I eat Spaghetti or Brown rice with fish and then I drink a redbull with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well I only eat about once a day. So I get up drink water a bit , then starbucks until the evening and then I eat Spaghetti or Brown rice with fish and then I drink a redbull with it.

There's a whole lot of what the fuck in two sentences.

Eat more, unless that's black Starbucks cut it out and make that Redbull sugar free unless you're drinking it post workout.

Mistah

There's a whole lot of what the fuck in two sentences.

Eat more, unless that's black Starbucks cut it out and make that Redbull sugar free unless you're drinking it post workout.

Yeah I kno it's unhealthy to eat once a day but it's been like that since I was 16yo.
It's black starbucks. and I'm gonna to try to cut the redbull entirely.

Cooter

Hard to say. How long have you been on this? Have you seen any progress? That Starbucks drink could easily be 1000 calories if it is a certain drink. The pasta adds up quick too and has no real nutritional value. I suppose you could be taking in 3000ish a day in which case fat loss probably wouldn't happen.

Mistah

the workout ? been doing it for a year now. I do have more muscle then before. Whats a good replacement for the pasta ? Gonna cut starbucks also then :)

Is chicken also good ? I prefer to eat chicken and fish or eggs. I do also eat brown rice

Track and weigh what you're eating for a few weeks. You need to figure out exactly what you're taking it. Not "guess".

Replace pasta and shit with veggies. You don't mention a single vegetable.

Cutting out that pasta is going to go a long ways towards getting rid of your back fat than any exercise.

Also, you're kind of doing an intermittent fast through the day, but then you're dumping carbs into your starved body. Getting some meat/protein/fat in you will do you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom