• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistah

Or not counting a bunch of snacks and drinks, like so many people forget.

Yea right.. that's it -_-"

and I know it sounds freaking weird but I do only eat one meal a day and thats always in the evening. I can't simply not eat in the morning or I get the feeling I'm gonna puke.

And no I don't eat alot then either. I'm 6,2 and weight about 185lbs

and I know it sounds freaking weird but I do only eat one meal a day and thats always in the evening. I can't simply not eat in the morning or I get the feeling I'm gonna puke.

If you aren't losing fat then you're eating too much. There's really no other solution. So maybe you're eating an entire box of pasta in Alfredo sauce and fried fish? I don't know, but something else.

Zoe

And no I don't eat alot then either. I'm 6,2 and weight about 185lbs

I'm questioning how much fat you really have.

Mistah

If you aren't losing fat then you're eating too much. There's really no other solution. So maybe you're eating an entire box of pasta in Alfredo sauce and fried fish? I don't know, but something else.

Well that's just the thing I don't get either :s

2 days a week I eat fish with brown rice and broccoli and 1 bottle of water.
2 days it's chicken with brown rice.
2 days spaghetti
1 day brown rice with eggs.

Everyday I take about 2 redbulls and 4 black starbucks in the whole week :/

I'm questioning how much fat you really have.

Well tbh not really much actually just a bit around the belly and the lower back. that's it

Irobot82

Yeah I'm 6'0" and 205 right now. If I weight 185 I'd be having me some sexay ABS. So unless you got chicken legs (don't skip leg day). I can't imagine you have all that much fat.

I have tree trunks for legs and chicken arms. I'd kill to be at 185 right now.

I would dump the dumbbell exercises and do barbell movements instead, especially since you're an absolute beginner. What's your current diet like? I know you have a weight loss goal and since you're 290 (right?) I want to get an idea of what our everyday diet is like.

Barbells at these gyms are mostly on the heavy side for serious WLs. Will have to check into if possible.

Diet is going to be low carb (less than 50g/day).

I am enjoying thris week's "It is Friday so someone has to post a fitness topic in OT" topic. It is fairly light-hearted and nothing overly dumb has been said yet.

On another note, I am going to not make it beyond 6 mesocycles of 5/3/1. I am wrapping up week 1 today, but I fear my 3s week for squats. Gonna eat big yo see if that can help me push through.

Ah, and cartoon_soldier, I agree with Cooter. Don't let the idea of using a barbell freak you out. Give it a try without any extra weights added to it before you totally dismiss it. Get comfortable with an empty bar and you can go up from there.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Barbells at these gyms are mostly on the heavy side for serious WLs. Will have to check into if possible.

Diet is going to be low carb (less than 50g/day).
They weigh 45lbs. I'd be shocked if you couldn't perform all the major compounds. Barbells are for everyone and not just for serious weight lifters like you claim. Just trust me on this.

OHP is easily the toughest of the four main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press). Just so you know! My OHP max is about 80 lbs below my bench max.

80 lbs below, HA! My best bench was 300 lbs. I don't think I've ever OHP'd 185 lbs successfully. It is STUPID weak compared to my bench.

Irobot82

One of my main goals for this year is to OHP a plate. I think I am at 85lb @ 5reps right now. It looks sexy to lift a plate like that.

They weigh 45lbs. I'd be shocked if you couldn't perform all the major compounds. Barbells are for everyone and not just for serious weight lifters like you claim. Just trust me on this.

I am enjoying thris week's "It is Friday so someone has to post a fitness topic in OT" topic. It is fairly light-hearted and nothing overly dumb has been said yet.

On another note, I am going to not make it beyond 6 mesocycles of 5/3/1. I am wrapping up week 1 today, but I fear my 3s week for squats. Gonna eat big yo see if that can help me push through.

Ah, and cartoon_soldier, I agree with Cooter. Don't let the idea of using a barbell freak you out. Give it a try without any extra weights added to it before you totally dismiss it. Get comfortable with an empty bar and you can go up from there.

Aight, I will try it out.

Thanks

One of my main goals for this year is to OHP a plate. I think I am at 85lb @ 5reps right now. It looks sexy to lift a plate like that.

Wait, so when you say "a plate" do you mean you cannot lift a 45 lbs weight over your head, or do you mean you cannot lift a bar (45 lbs) plus a plate on each side (45 lbs each for a grand total of 135 lbs)? I assume you mean latter of the two. There's seriously zero shame in not being able to lift 135 lbs on an overhead press, it is absolutely the most difficult movement and is humbling for really any lifter.

Did a number on my left wrist. Been a bit painful whilst typing this week but wasn't really a problem before yesterday/today. During the gym session it was mostly fine, just later in the evening it started to hurt pretty bad and today too if I move it. I think it might be this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome. Anyone have that before? I've been doing a lot of pull-ups/pulldowns, so maybe my thumb position was wrong.

Any exercises I can do with one arm? I'd just do curls but my right arm is already stronger than my left and I don't want to make it worse.

sphinx

the piano man
OHP is easily the toughest of the four main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press). Just so you know! My OHP max is about 80 lbs below my bench max.

my OHP is 44 lbs less than my bench. And the internet sites that measure strength according to weight and reps, all claim I am easily far better at OHPing than benching.... dunno, probably a mental thing too.

that being said, I can't believe how I've been progressing on Bench the last weeks... just in February, my sets would go to shit by the 4th rep on a 148.5 weight.

Today, two of the sets I did at 154 were with 6 reps each, next time I'll definitely do 160, pretty sure I'll get at least 3 reps, hopefully more.

but it's baffling, it took my months to get over the 148.5 barrier....

Managed to get 1x1 86,5 Kg RM & 1x2 82,5 Kg RM on the bench (Texas method) recently. New PRs.

Progress pics.

I'm planning to get a haircut, to celebrate my entry into the 10th month of working out - besides the fact that I need one.

GPcGaPq.jpg
9Zoh5HH.jpg

Gotta love them love-handles:

Haven't been able to weigh myself so I don't know what my is weight currently. But I imagine it's sub 77 Kg atm.

I think I'll take on 1 more month of cutting. Wanna trim that remaining fat around the adonis and obliques.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
OHP is so satisfying, at least once you start using big boy plates (25lb+). I one-repped 135 last week after my normal sets....barely, but my form was still pretty good. I was plateauing for a long time on OHP but I fixed my form, engaged my core (I will have to try engaging my ass from now on as well), and I blew right past my plateau.

J. Bravo

Should I be doing shoulders while doing smolov Jr for bench?don't want my ohp to suffer. But I am focusing on bench. Just don't know when id fit in shoulder work benching 4 days a week. Right after bench?

grumble

Should I be doing shoulders while doing smolov Jr for bench?don't want my ohp to suffer. But I am focusing on bench. Just don't know when id fit in shoulder work benching 4 days a week. Right after bench?

Honestly you'd probably fuck up the smolov run as you need your front delts and triceps to bench. Once you're done the smolov focus a bit more on ohp to bring it up to the normal 65-70% of max bench.

sphinx

the piano man
Haven't been able to weigh myself so I don't know what my is weight currently. But I imagine it's sub 77 Kg atm.

I think I'll take on 1 more month of cutting. Wanna trim that remaining fat around the adonis and obliques.

you gotta pay attention to this, if you are cutting, you gotta have the numbers. Sometimes, depending on what exactly you are trying to achieve, you can go by watching in the mirror or your pics but in my personal opinion, when you are seriously bulking or cutting, the scale must reflect that.

yes, I know, and it happens to me too, that I stay in the same weight and all of a sudden I feel my pants lighter and I see a different body in the mirror. And the other way around too. We all have been through that but even so, I'd go by the numbers if I really mean it with the bulk or the cut.

that being said, you look more fit in your current pics and are on your way to getting more definition and getting rid of the love handles (*my 36 year old body loves them :´´´´( ) so congrats on that.

you gotta pay attention to this, if you are cutting, you gotta have the numbers. Sometimes, depending on what exactly you are trying to achieve, you can go by watching in the mirror or your pics but in my personal opinion, when you are seriously bulking or cutting, the scale must reflect that.

yes, I know, and it happens to me too, that I stay in the same weight and all of a sudden I feel my pants lighter and I see a different body in the mirror. And the other way around too. We all have been through that but even so, I'd go by the numbers if I really mean it with the bulk or the cut.

that being said, you look more fit in your current pics and are on your way to getting more definition and getting rid of the love handles (*my 36 year old body loves them :´´´´( ) so congrats on that.

Believe me, I'm very dedicated to documenting my progress to keep track of my stats.

Thing is my gym's weight scale went bust a few weeks ago and they haven't replaced it yet. Kinda sounds like an excuse when I think about it. I should set an expectation to buy a scale some time in the future.

agrajag

Banned
So many OHP's starting from the forehead at the gym today...

The other day I saw a very skinny man in his 40's "bench press" two plates and a 25 by slightly bending his elbows and grunting very loud. That's about 1/8th the range of motion?

He would then superset that by running to the triceps pushdown machine, setting the weights on maximum and throwing his entire weight to get the cable down.

Cooter

Let's face it, it's rare that someone tells you that your legs are bigger. It's always arms or shoulders. It's because of this that I know my legs grew during this bulk. My dad's girlfriend out of the blue tells me my legs look bigger. Game set match!

There are people who have bigger arms, chest, or are wider, but there is hardly anyone who has a bigger ass or quads/hams than I do. My legs are my bread and butter.

J. Bravo

Honestly you'd probably fuck up the smolov run as you need your front delts and triceps to bench. Once you're done the smolov focus a bit more on ohp to bring it up to the normal 65-70% of max bench.

blah. that's kind of what i figured. before smolov my ohp was 170 and my bench was 230. so ohp was about 75% of bench. here's hoping they both get better after this cycle.

Imm0rt4l

Saw 2 guys in the gym restroom stall in a compromising position.

Georgetakeiohmy.png

Seriously though, I live in Vegas, I thought I'd seen it all haha

despire

Maybe just do laterals and rear laterals. Shouldn't interfere with benching.

Xater

went to the gym for the second time yesterday and this time around my muscles hurt way less. It's kinda just the arms today. Yesterday was pretty bad though because they still hurt from the first time around. My next training will be on Monday.

Gym schedule has been a mess all week. I've been going to PT for my herniated disc and somehow I managed to contract a viral throat infection. Finally made it to the doctor yesterday and he gave me some medicine for the pain. My caloric intake has been garbage too since it hurts like the dickens to swallow. Hot soup all day.

Any QuestBar deals floating around? Also, I am at the end of my lifting session right now and my triceps refuse to finish my last set of dips. Fucking pussies. Not leaving until these last ten reps are done no matter how long it takes.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Can someone point me in the right direction as far as female beginner workout programs? My girlfriend is wanting to start exercising with resistance training and I have no idea what to tell her. She is mostly looking to gain muscle/tone up.

Cooter

Can someone point me in the right direction as far as female beginner workout programs? My girlfriend is wanting to start exercising with resistance training and I have no idea what to tell her. She is mostly looking to gain muscle/tone up.
Starting strength in OP. It's not male exclusive.

sphinx

the piano man
Not according to some anecdotes posted here.

yeah I remember one of those fitness threads in which Devolution said she can't (or couldn't back then) squat the bar alone. Petrie asked her how can she walk being so weak and Evilore banned him for some days, the whole episode was pretty weird, I laughed a little bit at the weird turn of events because I would have also thought, just like petrie, that for someone to not be able to squat an empty bar, there would have to be some very serious physical weakness but the fact is, some people just have to start with something else, probably dumbbells or kettle bells or small plates.

Cooter

yeah I remember one of those fitness threads in which Devolution said she can't (or couldn't back then) squat the bar alone. Petrie asked her how can she walk being so weak and Evilore banned him for some days, the whole episode was pretty weird, I laughed a little bit at the weird turn of events because I would have also thought, just like petrie, that for someone to not be able to squat an empty bar, there would have to be some very serious physical weakness but the fact is, some people just have to start with something else, probably dumbbells or kettle bells or small plates.
It is a bit strange. My 11 year old daughter who weighs 100lbs can squat a bar. I'm not sure but I bet my 8 year old boy who weighs about 60 pounds can do it also. Bottom line, I think it's safe to assume that an overwhelming majority of healthy adults can squat a 45lb bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom