• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yeah 45lbs feels like literally nothing to me on most lifts, but then again it's kind of an arbitrary weight to start with, only used because it's what a standard bar happens to weigh.

An adult not being able to squat 45lbs does seem kind of weird to me, though, but whatever.

Zoe

yeah I remember one of those fitness threads in which Devolution said she can't (or couldn't back then) squat the bar alone. Petrie asked her how can she walk being so weak and Evilore banned him for some days, the whole episode was pretty weird, I laughed a little bit at the weird turn of events because I would have also thought, just like petrie, that for someone to not be able to squat an empty bar, there would have to be some very serious physical weakness but the fact is, some people just have to start with something else, probably dumbbells or kettle bells or small plates.

Didn't Sean say his wife couldn't bench the bar?

sphinx

the piano man
It is a bit strange. My 11 year old daughter who weighs 100lbs can squat a bar. I'm not sure but I bet my 8 year old boy who weighs about 60 pounds can do it also. Bottom line, I think it's safe to assume that an overwhelming majority of healthy adults can squat a 45lb bar.

the way I see it, there are other things involved besides strength.

In the case of the squat, you have to have good balance, it's very much a balance move and some people, even those with moderate strength, just do not have it. I have friends who can not do a simple "air" squat, (just go down and up with your arms to the front) For them, a squat with a bar is out of the question, emtpy or otherwise. Squat for them means, smith machine and half ROM, and that's it. No trainer or advice will change that.

Putting the squat aside:

.- OHP is way too hard, I mean, I begin feeling the burn on a 10 rep set with an empty bar.
.- Deadlift with an empty 45 bar is kinda weird
.- Bench is the only one left, putting aside olympic lifts, but if there's no spotter, it is not going to happen either.

No wonder why some beginners hesitate to befriend an empty 45 lbs bar...

I wonder if she has made some progress since then and if so, how.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, you're right Zoe. Bench may be tricky too. I can't believe I completely forgot about bench. Well, they can use DBs instead of a BB for OHP and Bench. Should still be able to increase strength on a modified SS I would think.

SeanR1221

Yeah she had to start with pre-set bars.

I think she can rep 95lbs for like...4-5? Weighing 120lbs

---

Man what a crappy workout. Just wasn't feeling it at ALL. Way less reps on Deads than I usually get, front squats felt 10x harder and I didn't even bother doing pendlay rows or shrugs. My body just feels wrecked. Gonna eat a big meal tonight, get plenty of sleep and see how it goes tomorrow. If tomorrow is fine, I'll chalk it up as a bad day. If my joints are on fire tomorrow I think it's time for a week of deloaded weights and taking it easy (haven't taken a break in 20 weeks)

agrajag

Banned
People that can't squat the bar should build up their strength with the leg press machine. Mark Rippetoe has a video where he talks about this, and how that's begrudgingly the reason he has a leg press machine in his gym.

velociraptor

People that can't squat the bar should build up their strength with the leg press machine. Mark Rippetoe has a video where he talks about this, and how that's begrudgingly the reason he has a leg press machine in his gym.

What about bodyweight squats? Maybe doing a ton of those will help people squat with a 45lb bar.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What about bodyweight squats? Maybe doing a ton of those will help people squat with a 45lb bar.
Bodyweight squats are a good idea because (as mentioned by others above) there's a good chance that strength isn't the main/only limiting factor for an untrained person who can't squat the bar.

sdijoseph

So I am on my 4th week of SS, and here are my current lifts:

- Squat 125 lbs for 3x5
- Power Clean 95 lbs for 5x3
- OHP 65 lbs for 3x5
- Bench 80 lbs for 3x5
- Deadlift 165 lbs for 1x5
- Machine Lat Pull Down 90 lbs for 3x8
- Curl 55 lbs for 3x5
- Bent over Row 95 lbs for 3x5

Do these numbers seem consistent in terms of the ratios to one another? I ask this because on strstd.com my OHP and Bench seem to be considered considerably weaker than my Squat and Deadlift.

So I am on my 4th week of SS, and here are my current lifts:

- Squat 125 lbs for 3x5
- Power Clean 95 lbs for 5x3
- OHP 65 lbs for 3x5
- Bench 80 lbs for 3x5
- Deadlift 165 lbs for 1x5
- Machine Lat Pull Down 90 lbs for 3x8
- Curl 55 lbs for 3x5
- Bent over Row 95 lbs for 3x5

Do these numbers seem consistent in terms of the ratios to one another? I ask this because on strstd.com my OHP and Bench seem to be considered considerably weaker than my Squat and Deadlift.
Seems OK to me. You're on your fourth week, things aren't going to be in line yet. Your presses will likely keep going up at pace when you're starting to slow down on squat and deadlift.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So what were those coupons for gnc you guys used to post again? I tried some quest bars and wow did you guys overrate them lol, but they're still solid. Would like to use the coupon for a handful of stuff in there though.

So what were those coupons for gnc you guys used to post again? I tried some quest bars and wow did you guys overrate them lol, but they're still solid. Would like to use the coupon for a handful of stuff in there though.

As of right now, there are no 10 off of 20 coupons. GNC caught on and haven't released any. I can't find them online either.

demon

Finally dragged my ass down to GNC to get some Quest bars after all the hype.

You sonsabitches ain't lying. That shits delicious. And best of all no glutens!

demon

If there's one thing I hate about bulking it's something I don't seem to notice in mirrors but only in photos - my face looks fat as fuck. I hate it, really not a good look on me. :-/

Yesterday for my birthday I had my first big cheat in about 3 months. I felt so gross about it that I got up at 4AM to do cardio today, lol.

hehe, happy late bday <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

If there's one thing I hate about bulking it's something I don't seem to notice in mirrors but only in photos - my face looks fat as fuck. I hate it, really not a good look on me. :-/

I think I look terrible in my photos and look much better in person. Damn arms looking like tubes.

I-hate-u

Yeah 45lbs feels like literally nothing to me on most lifts, but then again it's kind of an arbitrary weight to start with, only used because it's what a standard bar happens to weigh.

An adult not being able to squat 45lbs does seem kind of weird to me, though, but whatever.

Not for me. I was doing close to 2 plates but shitty reps, then i restarted my squats all the way back to 100lb ass to the grass, and my God how hard and painful it is right now on my knees.

I feel like I can do the weight, but am limited greatly by my mobility flexibility.

As of right now, there are no 10 off of 20 coupons. GNC caught on and haven't released any. I can't find them online either.

They still do them but they do it differently now. These are the ones I got recently in my email that are still good

wkkJSP5l.jpg

62Az2Jsl.jpg

agrajag

Banned
JL Holdsworth critiqued my OHP and he's 100% on point on what I'm doing wrong.

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=205652&tid=

Wow, awesome. So dumbbell lateral raises are not just a vanity exercise!

Not for me. I was doing close to 2 plates but shitty reps, then i restarted my squats all the way back to 100lb ass to the grass, and my God how hard and painful it is right now on my knees.

I feel like I can do the weight, but am limited greatly by my mobility flexibility.

Are you doing High Bar by any chance? When I was trying to do a linear progression with high bar, I was also going ass to grass and my knees started to hurt after heavy sets. I was worried about really fucking them up and re-set to a much lower weight and switched to Low Bar style. I've passed the point where I stalled out on High Bar now, with zero knee pain. It's not necessary, if not damn near impossible, to go ass to grass with Low Bar. And you feel much stronger out of the hole. I've come to like it a lot more.

If you're already doing Low Bar, disregard everything I said. Maybe your knees are coming forward too much?

I-hate-u

Wow, awesome. So dumbbell lateral raises are not just a vanity exercise!

Are you doing High Bar by any chance? When I was trying to do a linear progression with high bar, I was also going ass to grass and my knees started to hurt after heavy sets. I was worried about really fucking them up and re-set to a much lower weight and switched to Low Bar style. I've passed the point where I stalled out on High Bar now, with zero knee pain. It's not necessary, if not damn near impossible, to go ass to grass with Low Bar. And you feel much stronger out of the hole. I've come to like it a lot more.

If you're already doing Low Bar, disregard everything I said. Maybe your knees are coming forward too much?

Yes its highbar, the only type of squats i ever have done. My knee pains are much less since I started, so I probably attribute that to me having not worked my legs probably due to my lackluster form. I'll stick with it, and if the pain increase, I'll probably switch to low bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think he was talking about using a bit of a swing to get the dumbbells up and then a very slow and controlled eccentric portion of the movement.

That's exactly what he means.

Awesome. So bent arm lat raises I'm guessing then. Really get the weight up.

Nice job on the bench too

Thanks bud.

that looked super easy

Harder than it looked for sure. Wasn't feeling strong yesterday.

Holy shit dude. Good work.

Thanks man!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If you pm me your email I can forward it to you

PM'd, thanks a ton sir.

Everybody else what's your thoughts on GNC clearance items? Seems like you could find some steals in there.

Also the OP says there's really no difference in the protein powder you get. Since reading that I've never really given it a second thought and just get the pure protein brand at walmart or target... but I've heard a lot of good things about ON whey... any thoughts?

Also the OP says there's really no difference in the protein powder you get. Since reading that I've never really given it a second thought and just get the pure protein brand at walmart or target... but I've heard a lot of good things about ON whey... any thoughts?
Just check the macros and make sure it's not full of junk, but it's all mostly the same yeah. It's not a bad idea to try different brands as some may taste better than others to you.

I like ON because they make their crap into a gazillion flavors and it's nice having something way out of the ordinary for a change. I also use one of those blends where it's not all whey because it mixes well in cooking

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just check the macros and make sure it's not full of junk, but it's all mostly the same yeah. It's not a bad idea to try different brands as some may taste better than others to you.

I like ON because they make their crap into a gazillion flavors and it's nice having something way out of the ordinary for a change. I also use one of those blends where it's not all whey because it mixes well in cooking

Alrighty thanks for the heads up. some of them give me these horrible cramps, but it's not really gas cramps. I think I read something about the artificial sugar in some ferments in certain peoples stomachs. The worst was body fortress. I really love the taste of EAS whey, but it's more expensive.

SeanR1221

Hah that sign is great.

Feel so much better from yesterday. I had a Taco Bell meal that would make MTP and Edge proud.

Loaded griller, burrito supreme, XXL taco, XXL grilled stuffed burrito, crunchy taco, Baja blast and a brownie. Didnt even gain a pound this morning.

Bench went ok. 200x6. My previous pr best was 200x8 when I was 15lbs heavier so not a terrible drop off.

For those who do Intermittent Fasting, do you fast every day during your cut? I am planning to do IF 5 days of the week and eat normally during the weekend. I would consume carbs only around workouts to have energy. I don't want to lift weights in fasted state because I also want to make muscle. I didn't find a detailed guide that can hand hold me through the process, so i'd like to know how you IF?

For those who do Intermittent Fasting, do you fast every day during your cut? I am planning to do IF 5 days of the week and eat normally during the weekend. I would consume carbs only around workouts to have energy. I don't want to lift weights in fasted state because I also want to make muscle. I didn't find a detailed guide that can hand hold me through the process, so i'd like to know how you IF?

Everyday, your body pretty much gets used to eating the same time everyday so after the first month I'm almost never hungry before noon

So I'm thinking on going on a cut with good motivation. Been bulking for a long time now, since last summer. I'll be hitting the beach in a bit more than 2 weeks, like around 17 days. At best, what kind of progress am I looking at? TBH I'd be happy losing 3 pounds. I'm 6'2, 180 pounds, I'm your average "going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for 2 years" kind of guy.
What's my ceiling for approx 17 days? 4 pounds? 5 pounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom