• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
this made me think... everyone here on a more or less intermediate/advanced level, how long does it take to you to get done with any one main compound per session?

we have a clock on the wall in my gym and I've been noticing I've been spending too much time in a single compound...:/ but I really need it...Squat and specially Deadlift, they really drain me on every workset.. and I've been needing longer pauses...

I think I use about 30 minutes counting bodyweight warm-up moves to get done with any one compound lift. that's a shitton of time if you want to do several assistance moves after that.

sometimes I time the pauses but if things aren't going my way, I just wait as much as I need.

On days I do deadlift, I take around 40 minutes. I don't feel a need to rush and take the time I need in order to hit my reps.

Zoe

Going back to this...

Putting the squat aside:

.- OHP is way too hard, I mean, I begin feeling the burn on a 10 rep set with an empty bar.
.- Deadlift with an empty 45 bar is kinda weird
.- Bench is the only one left, putting aside olympic lifts, but if there's no spotter, it is not going to happen either.

No wonder why some beginners hesitate to befriend an empty 45 lbs bar...

I overheard a girl telling her (non-gym affiliated) trainer that 40 lbs was too much for her on deadlifts. He was teaching her presses correctly, so I'm assuming her form was correct.

this made me think... everyone here on a more or less intermediate/advanced level, how long does it take to you to get done with any one main compound per session?

we have a clock on the wall in my gym and I've been noticing I've been spending too much time in a single compound...:/ but I really need it...Squat and specially Deadlift, they really drain me on every workset.. and I've been needing longer pauses...

I think I use about 30 minutes counting bodyweight warm-up moves to get done with any one compound lift. that's a shitton of time if you want to do several assistance moves after that.

sometimes I time the pauses but if things aren't going my way, I just wait as much as I need.

Oh, that's not odd, it takes me about half an hour to get warmed up and do my first compound lift, with the second one taking less. Leaves me enough time for one accessory before the hour is up.

Shadybiz

Yeah on my deadlift/heavy squat day, I'm in the same place for close to an hour. Gotta warm up properly, take sufficient rests (because I'm old), etc. I've had a couple of mild lower back tweaks as a result of bad form due to rushing, so by now, I know to take my time.

ACE 1991

man, I know I really shouldn't compare myself to others but it's pretty frustrating seeing guys blow up who I know for a fact have been lifting for maybe four months and don't watch what they eat. I'm pretty sure I just really bad genetics for lifting seeing as I've been doing this consistently for a little over a year and only barely look I lift to those who know me well... I'm not giving up, I hope I get aesthetic one day so I can sleep with hot women before I'm old and married.

sphinx

the piano man
I usually rest 90 seconds in between compound sets but I err on the side of longer if I need it. Accessory work is usually a strict 60 second rest.

I can do that on the presses. In fact I time my pauses and I've been doing better at it, otherwise I start getting distracted and the sets begin to suck.

but on Squat and Deadlift, no way. If I waited exactly 90 seconds and not a second more between work sets I think I'd pass out, I get a bit dizzy after each set...not sure if I am doing something wrong or it comes with the territory, but I need to walk around the rack and drink water.. I probably take around 3 minutes rest, in average.

I overheard a girl telling her (non-gym affiliated) trainer that 40 lbs was too much for her on deadlifts. He was teaching her presses correctly, so I'm assuming her form was correct.

you mean her trainer is teaching her the deadlift with other equipment instead of a bar? and judging by how he was teaching her the presses, you asume he's been teaching her the deadlift correctly? (sorry, lol, just making sure I understand what you mean),

what could a trainer use here? I guess a smaller bar, like those used to curl, but probably dumbbells are a better option here, a small bar could have her taking a very narrow grip, wouldn't it? .

Oh, that's not odd, it takes me about half an hour to get warmed up and do my first compound lift, with the second one taking less. Leaves me enough time for one accessory before the hour is up.

but you are doing an specific program, (SS) right? you are very efficient with your time, regardless., I think I fuck around too much with stretching and warming.up and what not, I should probably try to go more focused into training.

from the moment I get into the gym to the time I go out through the door it's almost always, over 2 hours...

Yeah on my deadlift/heavy squat day, I'm in the same place for close to an hour. Gotta warm up properly, take sufficient rests (because I'm old), etc. I've had a couple of mild lower back tweaks as a result of bad form due to rushing, so by now, I know to take my time.

how old??? I am 36 and I really wished I was 22, I am pretty sure I'd be doing better at everything but oh well, I was meant to start with 34... no point thinking on "what if I had"

Imm0rt4l

I feel like my si joint is getting better but I might be speaking too soon. I think i'll get a lacrosse ball and try try some stuff kelly starret recommends. Im a little apprehensive because foam rollers just aren't enough for me. I'd be better off using a rolling pin .

Zoe

you mean her trainer is teaching her the deadlift with other equipment instead of a bar? and judging by how he was teaching her the presses, you asume he's been teaching her the deadlift correctly? (sorry, lol, just making sure I understand what you mean),

what could a trainer use here? I guess a smaller bar, like those used to curl, but probably dumbbells are a better option here, a small bar could have her taking a very narrow grip, wouldn't it? .

He wasn't having her do any "lol smith machine" or weight machines like gym trainers usually do. They were using the smaller set-weight barbells. They're long enough for proper width--at least for a girl.

Shadybiz

how old??? I am 36 and I really wished I was 22, I am pretty sure I'd be doing better at everything but oh well, I was meant to start with 34... no point thinking on "what if I had"

I'm 34. I only got really serious about lifting maybe 2 years ago, but didn't start to be really efficient until maybe a year ago. I've definitely made great gains so far, but yeah, if I'd started this 10 years ago, I'd be a beast. Ah well, can't do much about that now, just gotta keep doing what I'm doing.

BumRush

I can do that on the presses. In fact I time my pauses and I've been doing better at it, otherwise I start getting distracted and the sets begin to suck.

but on Squat and Deadlift, no way. If I waited exactly 90 seconds and not a second more between work sets I think I'd pass out, I get a bit dizzy after each set...not sure if I am doing something wrong or it comes with the territory, but I need to walk around the rack and drink water.. I probably take around 3 minutes rest, in average.

Haha yeah I definitely don't wait exactly 90 seconds...i try to use that as a starting point but ultimately rely on how I feel.

With warmup + 4 sets, my squat / dl probably takes 15 minutes from start to finish...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I discovered something interesting about deadlifting the past few workouts- having bad form makes it harder! Ever since I started working out again after my surgery I've been turning my deadlifts into squats for some reason- starting way too low and with too wide a stance. Fixed that shit up and my last couple deadlift workouts were so much better,I think I'll be reaching 300 (1RM at least) kinda soon. Don't know why I started doing that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well I discovered something interesting about deadlifting the past few workouts- having bad form makes it harder! Ever since I started working out again after my surgery I've been turning my deadlifts into squats for some reason- starting way too low and with too wide a stance. Fixed that shit up and my last couple deadlift workouts were so much better,I think I'll be reaching 300 (1RM at least) kinda soon. Don't know why I started doing that.

Bad form makes every lift harder unless that bad form is cheating.

Petrie

Banned
And the ban is lifted! I missed you kids!

And now in an effort to get closer to the Summer body I'm after, I'm swapping routines. Modified SS and those linear gains were fun, but moving over the the 5/3/1 for bodybuilding program in an effort to get those glamour muscles where I want them. Keep getting stronger, but simply isn't the sole focus now.

Hit 9 reps at 210lbs on bench for my last set yesterday. Got so close to that 10th rep I wanted but had to bail on the first set of pins before locking out. Maybe I could've gotten there with a spotter but it wasn't worth the risk. So fucking close though. Was pissed.

Need to get my weekend eating habits in check a bit more so I can hit that sub 10% body-fat I crave though. Damnit.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hit a new PR on deads on Sunday (for 3reps) and when my DOMS kicked in on monday I had pain and strain in my fingers, wrists and forearms. The pain is still present today too.

Never suffered from this before. Dont think its injury because otherwise it wouldn't have kicked in the same time as the DOMS. However its put me off doing OHP today because I'm still feeling it with the slightest movements.

Is it maybe time for me to invest in some equipment such as a belt, gloves or chalk??

Hit a new PR on deads on Sunday (for 3reps) and when my DOMS kicked in on monday I had pain and strain in my fingers, wrists and forearms. The pain is still present today too.

Never suffered from this before. Dont think its injury because otherwise it wouldn't have kicked in the same time as the DOMS. However its put me off doing OHP today because I'm still feeling it with the slightest movements.

Is it maybe time for me to invest in some equipment such as a belt, gloves or chalk??

Gloves are dumb in my opinion but yes chalk and a belt are basically required at some point.

Xater

So I thought I'd post what I am doing at this point. Remember I am still just starting out. I am now in my second week. I basically go to the gym now every third day.

Cardio warm-up: 10 minutes; usually on the bike

chest press 3x10-15 15kg
butterfly 3x10-15 15kg
latpull machine 3x10-15 20kg
row 3x10-15 20kg
leg press 3x10-15 69kg
leg extension 3x10-15 25kg
crunch 3x10-15
back extension 3x10-15
side bend 3x10-15

Then 10-20 minutes of cardio currently I enjoy the rowing machine.

I hope the english names of those things are right. Gym equipment names is not exactly something you pick up easily :p

I find it saves time to start warming up for the next exercise in between work sets for compounds. So rather than wait a full 3-4 minutes I'll say do a set of bench, rest 2, do a light row warmup, rest another 2, bench again, etc. So now I'm warmed up for rows and getting a full 4 minutes between sets of bench without just sitting around picking my nose.

Or I'll do calves in between squats & deads.

Petrie

Banned
So I thought I'd post what I am doing at this point. Remember I am still just starting out. I am now in my second week. I basically go to the gym now every third day.

chest press 3x10-15 15kg
butterfly 3x10-15 15kg
row 3x10-15 20kg
leg press 3x10-15 69kg
crunch 3x10-15
back extension 3x10-15
side bend 3x10-15

I hope the english names of those things are right. Gym equipment names is not exactly something you pick up easily :p

I can't figure out what you're hoping to accomplish here. Just a bunch or random shit with no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm sure you've already been told to read the OP and do that stuff instead, so I won't waste time typing anything more.

You'd probably look like the standard puffed-up college kid with big shoulders, arms and chest, underdeveloped back and no legs or calves. Those "friends don't let friends skip leg day" guys are ALL OVER the place near me.

It was only thanks to wanting to be good at DDR that I did legs even when I was messing around in the college gym not knowing WTF I was doing. .

Think long-term, you've still got more than enough time to hit your natural potential and you'll be set for life with the good habits.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
For the first time ever I witnessed some god awful squats yesterday... A crime against humanity infact, it was horrible

chest press 3x10-15 15kg
butterfly 3x10-15 15kg
row 3x10-15 20kg
leg press 3x10-15 69kg
crunch 3x10-15
back extension 3x10-15
side bend 3x10-15

What is your goal here? This workout seems slightly aimless and unorganised

Xater

I can't figure out what you're hoping to accomplish here. Just a bunch or random shit with no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm sure you've already been told to read the OP and do that stuff instead, so I won't waste time typing anything more.

Thanks for being an asshole?

The OP is all about free weights which I am not using. I am using the machines to try and get a full body workout.

The OP is all about free weights which I am not using. I am using the machines to try and get a full body workout.

a) You can and should learn how to do free weight (dumbbell/barbell) exercises properly at some point. They can be used for a full body workout and will serve you better in the long run. start replacing the machines with barbell equivalents after learning proper form.

b) Ditch the flyes for an incline chest movement

c) swap the leg extension for leg curl, you're hitting your quads with the leg press, you need to work your hamstrings too.

d) don't do core on machines, they're all shit. Crunch on a swiss ball, back extensions on the pad, side bends with dumbbells.

e) Seriously, learn to do dumbbell/barbell movements (get someone to coach you) as soon as possible.

But the beginner routine in the OP is a full body workout. More of a full body than what you posted. IMO, stick with the beginner routine for at least 3-6 months. Then if you still don't like it, you can do your split that you listed. I feel like that you are going to be wasting a lot of time and effort with the routine you posted. Even as you get more advanced, I don't see the advantages of what that particular routine.

On top of what already has been said, even if you prefer going a pure BB routine, you still need to do free weights. Barbell and dumbbells are very important. So many movements you are missing out on.

Cudder

There's a reason for that. Only using machines is only going to further facilitate muscle imbalances you have. Use free weights if possible.

Petrie

Banned

What is your goal here? This workout seems slightly aimless and unorganised

a) You can and should learn how to do free weight (dumbbell/barbell) exercises properly at some point. They can be used for a full body workout and will serve you better in the long run. start replacing the machines with barbell equivalents after learning proper form.

c) swap the leg extension for leg curl, you're hitting your quads with the leg press, you need to work your hamstrings too.

d) don't do core on machines, they're all shit. Crunch on a swiss ball, back extensions on the pad, side bends with dumbbells.

e) Seriously, learn to do dumbbell/barbell movements (get someone to coach you) as soon as possible.

But the beginner routine in the OP is a full body workout. More of a full body than what you posted. IMO, stick with the beginner routine for at least 3-6 months. Then if you still don't like it, you can do your split that you listed. I feel like that you are going to be wasting a lot of time and effort with the routine you posted. Even as you get more advanced, I don't see the advantages of what that particular routine.

There's a reason for that. Only using machines is only going to further facilitate muscle imbalances you have. Use free weights if possible.

Thanks for covering it again guys.

What you're doing is silly. If you replaced everything you are doing with the 4 big lifts, you'd get a far superior full body workout instead of wasting your time.

If you are a beginner, the workout you posted is a waste of time.

Xater

I don't do the core on machines. Crunch is just lying down. The back extension and side bend I do on the pad.

chest press 3x10-15 15kg
butterfly 3x10-15 15kg
row 3x10-15 20kg
leg press 3x10-15 69kg
crunch 3x10-15
back extension 3x10-15
side bend 3x10-15

Replace back extension and side bend with arm work. If you can do 3 sets of 10, don't do more, bump up the weight.

Machines will make you a little bit stronger and burn a lot of calories, but the first time you do strength it is going to kick your ass no matter how much progress you made with the machines.

If you are a beginner, the workout you posted is a waste of time.

I wouldn't go that far. For a true beginner there's something to be said for developing the habit of actually GOING to the gym and exercising.

I'd rather see someone go twice a week and do a full-body machine-based workout the first month and progress to free weights than just not bother.

zeeaykay

Hey ya'll. I'm in OK shape, have done "Starting Strength" once a year the past two years, each for about two solid months before I fell off.

Anyway, I started a new job that allows me a more relaxed schedule, and my sis is getting married so I want to get in shape for the wedding.

Right now I'm doing the Starting Strength again, have done it for two weeks, and this week I am starting a 30 minute cycling program on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I'm Squatting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, is the cycling going to be too much work on my legs five days a week? Should I take squats off on Wednesday?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cudder

I wouldn't go that far. For a true beginner there's something to be said for developing the habit of actually GOING to the gym and exercising.

I'd rather see someone go twice a week and do a full-body machine-based workout the first month and progress to free weights than just not bother.

There's definitely something to be said for trying different things and seeing what works best for you, but I feel that most beginners just use machines thinking they're the best and won't ever go down a road of strength training with a barbell.

Cudder

Hey ya'll. I'm in OK shape, have done "Starting Strength" once a year the past two years, each for about two solid months before I fell off.

Anyway, I started a new job that allows me a more relaxed schedule, and my sis is getting married so I want to get in shape for the wedding.

Right now I'm doing the Starting Strength again, have done it for two weeks, and this week I am starting a 30 minute cycling program on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I'm Squatting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, is the cycling going to be too much work on my legs five days a week? Should I take squats off on Wednesday?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Why not undergo more of a bodybuilding style routine and watch your diet until the wedding? SS is first and foremost a strength routine. While you will grow on it, you could probably get better aesthetics on another program.

Petrie

Banned

Well surely it's better than absolutely nothing, but there's simply no rhyme or reason to what was posted either. All types of quad stuff, no hamstrings. Not only is an inefficient use of time, but it's poorly thought out on top of it. Which is why a beginner shouldn't try to design their own routine.

Xater

That's the idea, to build up at least something. I am coming from nothing. Asking me to carry around a full case of beers is too much.

Also I just don't want to go all strength but also do cardio.

zeeaykay

Why not undergo more of a bodybuilding style routine and watch your diet until the wedding? SS is first and foremost a strength routine. While you will grow on it, you could probably get better aesthetics on another program.

My thought process was a balance of cardio and strength training? Or is that a bad idea?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
That's the idea, to build up at least something. I am coming from nothing. Asking me to carry around a full case of beers is too much.

My only comment here is that it doesn't matter where you're coming from, you obviously joined a gym to get results and your routine will not give you them, Going to the gym to improve yourself is hard f*cking work at the start and you're only cheating yourself dodging the inevitable. The fact is that free weights can be intimidating as shit, they were to me, the routine from SS in the OP scared me. After a few weeks I thought "fuck this shit" and wasted 4 or 5 months doing what you're doing.
After seeing sense here I returned and I've never been happier. Read the OP and follow it, it works.

Honestly man, if we're just talking about the best gains possible, even starting with free weights as a complete novice is fundamentally better than machines, unless you have some kind of injury or condition.

I'd also argue that machines won't necessarily "prepare" you for free weights. Better than nothing, but generally, you should do free weights to get better at free weights.

I'm not gonna antagonize you, it's great that you're actually going to the gym, but give it some serious thought. The first few months of lifting as a beginner is such a HUGE opportunity for great gains, possibility the fastest gains you'll be able to make in your entire lifting career (in terms of time spent and gains achieved). I just think it would be best to spend a weekend reading up on the 3-4 basic lifts, and practicing them with low/no weight as a starting point.

Cudder

My thought process was a balance of cardio and strength training? Or is that a bad idea?

There's nothing wrong with it, but if your main goal is aesthetics then other programs might serve you better. You said you've done SS before, did you notice good gains in terms of physique?

zeeaykay

There's nothing wrong with it, but if your main goal is aesthetics then other programs might serve you better. You said you've done SS before, did you notice good gains in terms of physique?

Yeah, I did. I was thinking the strength would build muscle and the cardio would cut the fat, since I've got a decent layer of fat on me. I'm like 5' 9" 165.

You're staying I'll see better results, aesthetically, to hold off on the cardio and just focusing on hitting the gym 3 times a week?

Go_Ly_Dow

We all came from nothing.

If your gym has the equipment then I strongly recommend learning barbell compound movements. The weight you lift doesn't matter, start on the bar, learn the technique and very quickly you will find yourself in a groove.

Dont make the same mistake I made of working out for a year with little results on machines and accessory exercises. All about dem compounds!

I don't see any problem with a machine workout for a beginner. Like I said before, you'll still get your ass kicked when you switch to barbells, but a full body machine workout feels good, burns calories, and does get you in the habit. It's not like he's got some certain time frame before he has to be able to bench press 200 lbs or they're going to tear down the community center and all the local kids will have no place to learn how to breakdance.

agrajag

Banned
Yeah, I did. I was thinking the strength would build muscle and the cardio would cut the fat, since I've got a decent layer of fat on me. I'm like 5' 9" 165.

You're staying I'll see better results, aesthetically, to hold off on the cardio and just focusing on hitting the gym 3 times a week?

that don't sound right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom