• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't squat, bench, or deadlift anywhere near as much as most of the regulars in this thread. Yes I utilize free weights and compounds lifts, they are very important. As is strength training, but quite frankly you cannot expect to put everyone into this idea that heavy BB lifting is a requirement for them to get the results they want.

Quite frankly. I see little point in excessive strength training if your primary goal is aesthetics or you are not creating a body to be functional at... something. Whether it be worl, sports, or hobby. Same thing goes the other way around. Don't see the point of packing on size if you have other goals in mind or just want to be fit.

I don't know. This thread has been irking me for a while these past few months.

Straight up.

I think I have made amazing progress. I think I look phenomenal. Just knowing that I could go on stage is enough for me to know I've done a great job.

I have never squatted 405 for reps.
I have never deadlifted anything over 405 for reps.
I have never benched over 315 for reps.
I have never OHP'd over 145 for reps.
I have never done weighted dips/pullups.
I have never done a muscle-up.

I have next to zero interest in seeing any of these things increase. They would be nice yes, but I really don't care jack shit a bout strength other than what is necessary for me to make the goals I want to make. Yet, I look good and I feel good.

All that rambling aside.

If someone is only comfortable doing machines, then so be it. That's what they do. Do not belittle anyone for it. Give them the advice that free weight training is more efficient in the long run and suggest to them that working in free weight lifts is what they should do. If they can't get over that hump, then just let them be. Any progress is better than no progress and the last thing I would want to see is someone be completely discouraged because they feel they aren't doing the right thing.

TLDR You guys give great advice, but really the attitude that comes with it has always been an issue of mine. I've posted about it endlessly and it frustrates me that only I and a couple of other guys bother to humanize things.

I agree with you Darth. That being said, you still perform the lifts but you don't go heavy. To recommend someone stick to all machines without informing them of more effective ways of training would be a disservice to the person seeking advice. After you have informed them they are free to do as they please. I think what irks some is people asking for advice and then arguing with given advice. That's my two cents.

I prefer to be stronger than I look and you the opposite. To each their own. There is no right way to do anything when dealing with individuals preferences. :)

There's a cardio machine in my gym that's amazing and is a total guilty pleasure of mine. It's called a rope climb trainer. It basically simulates climbing a rope, but you're only using your arms. On the highest setting, I can only go a minute and a half (or 188 ft) before my arms feel swollen with blood and I'm out of breath and drenched with sweat. Similar to this:

oryx-cmsbg.jpg

way better than doing 100 curls, lol

This looks amazing. I want to do this.

New job has a gym in the complex. It isn't half bad actually. I plan to come in to do some cardio and various pullups. I could prolly get a good arm day in there as well.

I agree with you Darth. That being said, you still perform the lifts but you don't go heavy. To recommend someone stick to all machines without informing them of more effective ways of training would be a disservice to the person seeking advice. After you have informed them they are free to do as they please. I think what irks some is people asking for advice and then arguing with given advice. That's my two cents.

I prefer to be stronger than I look and you the opposite. To each their own. There is no right way to do anything when dealing with individuals preferences. :)
Actually, you bring up a good point. I didn't think about how tiresome it can be to argue with people when they aren't quite as knowledgeable, or receptive to advice.

In that case yeah, I would just tell them what they need to know and let it go. Ultimately it's all their decision anyway.

Also I hope I didn't come off as disapproving of what you and the others do. I just had to reiterate that not everything is for everyone. Honestly, I feel like you guys are on a different level from me entirely. Despite the fact that I have little interest in strength training.

rokkerkory

Okay gf left today, it was great spending time with her. Long distance relationships FTL.

Anyways, time to focus on getting ripped for Summer. Today is HIITS and Chest round 1 for week!

Adding an extra day for calves and back starting this week too.

Petrie

Banned
Actually, you bring up a good point. I didn't think about how tiresome it can be to argue with people when they aren't quite as knowledgeable, or receptive to advice.

In that case yeah, I would just tell them what they need to know and let it go. Ultimately it's all their decision anyway.

Also I hope I didn't come off as disapproving of what you and the others do. I just had to reiterate that not everything is for everyone. Honestly, I feel like you guys are on a different level from me entirely. Despite the fact that I have little interest in strength training.

I 100% agree, once you have a base. But as Arnold said "you can't chisel a pebble", and that applies to any goal. You aren't going to build a solid base to work on something more specific with a routine like was posted, and when someone comes in and posts that it's clear they disregarded the OP entirely, something many of us have zero patience for.

The OP is there for a reason.

I understand where you are coming from. Years ago, I would have been "SS or bust" and thought that isolation are a waste of time. But as I go on, I understand more and more why you do certain movements. It isn't that machines are bad. Far from it. They are very helpful and can make a huge impact on your body but I feel like people should understand why they are using a pec dec. What benefit will it bring as opposed to doing something like cable flys. I still am a firm believer in the sense that all beginners should do SS just as a base because you really do learn a lot. Then from there, branch out and figure out what will work best for you and keep you motivated.

SeanR1221

Well said, Darth and cooter.

I think my biggest gripe is the people who ask for advice, don't take it and then come back and complain nothing works for them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't squat, bench, or deadlift anywhere near as much as most of the regulars in this thread. Yes I utilize free weights and compounds lifts, they are very important. As is strength training, but quite frankly you cannot expect to put everyone into this idea that heavy BB lifting is a requirement for them to get the results they want.

Quite frankly. I see little point in excessive strength training if your primary goal is aesthetics or you are not creating a body to be functional at... something. Whether it be worl, sports, or hobby. Same thing goes the other way around. Don't see the point of packing on size if you have other goals in mind or just want to be fit.

Straight up.

I think I have made amazing progress. I think I look phenomenal. Just knowing that I could go on stage is enough for me to know I've done a great job.

I have next to zero interest in seeing any of these things increase. They would be nice yes, but I really don't care jack shit a bout strength other than what is necessary for me to make the goals I want to make. Yet, I look good and I feel good.

All that rambling aside.

If someone is only comfortable doing machines, then so be it. That's what they do. Do not belittle anyone for it. Give them the advice that free weight training is more efficient in the long run and suggest to them that working in free weight lifts is what they should do. If they can't get over that hump, then just let them be. Any progress is better than no progress and the last thing I would want to see is someone be completely discouraged because they feel they aren't doing the right thing.

TLDR You guys give great advice, but really the attitude that comes with it has always been an issue of mine. I've posted about it endlessly and it frustrates me that only I and a couple of other guys bother to humanize things.

It's something that's been pointed out over and over again. I've gotten to the point I typically won't offer advice anymore unless it's a strength based question and even then I post a lot less than I used to. Mostly videos and such now.

Also what you do jives with the big BB guys in my gym. I learn from them and they learn for me (when they told me this it blew my mind), but different goals through different roads.

People would do better to realize not everyone has their same goal in mind. When I started my programming was a mess, but I still got pretty strong doin it until I streamlined my programming and got much, much, stronger. I never did SS or the program in the OP. The first program I actually got on was 5/3/1 and it was terrible, I would NOT recommend 5/3/1 for strength knowing what I know now. It's great for fitness, but absolute shit for strength. The main thing for me was reading programs and methodologies and learning myself what works.

Also as I said earlier and what you touched on, I agree. If the only way someone is gonna get their ass in the gym is to mess around in machines. Let them, we all have to admit (and if you don't you're lying) the gym is an intimidating place especially as a beginner. Let the person get acclimated and eventually branch out as they get comfortable.

All that said, if you come in here posting your routine, prepare for it to be critiqued, you've brought that on yourself.

Szu

Also agreed. In a sense, I kinda feel like we're giving parental advice. Is it accurate? Is it the only correct advice? No and no.

However, in a way, we care because we've been there. Some of us get a little heated with the advice when the new flock go against the grain. Sometimes, you need to fall off the bike in order to learn to ride one.

In the end, we need to realize that most of them are adults who make their own decisions and learn from their own experiences.

The best that we can hope for is that we pointed them in the right direction.

Cudder

Also agreed. In a sense, I kinda feel like we're giving parental advice. Is it accurate? Is it the only correct advice? No and no.

However, in a way, we care because we've been there. Some of us get a little heated with the advice when the new flock go against the grain. Sometimes, you need to fall off the bike in order to learn to ride one.

In the end, we need to realize that most of them are adults who make their own decisions and learn from their own experiences.

The best that we can hope for is that we pointed them in the right direction.

Spot on.

sphinx

the piano man
So I am late to the discussion but I will give my 2 cents to Xater anyway, (which doesn't antagonize any other post I've read so far, I hope at least)

more than bodybuilder or powerlifter or anything, everybody here has to be forever a researcher, you have to do it yourself to know what works for you and what will happen if you decide to go one path or another and you have to question everything and learn about everything and continue learning, when you think you know everything..

Try everything you have access to (including machines, ropes, poles, whatever that you think may be fun),but specially exercises people are saying that are good (like compounds) just try it, go and learn, do it. Read others people'c comments, read books, read everything and you will see that there's a bit of truth everywhere and that there's nothing black or white here, it's always grey, it all depends.

This thread offers points of view and often very, very good advice but it will not save the fitness life of anyone, we have way too little info to truly help anyone. People eventually learn why certain routines are better than others, why compounds are good, why strength matters (for a beginner, anyway), why eating right matters, why you have to do things yourself to learn.

Just keep at it and do your research, don't expect this thread or a Personal trainer to fix things for you, just go and do it. Come back here and share your experiences and read other fittgaffers' posts to see how everybody else is evolving or what they are trying.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy shit fitness/gym posts outside of here are train wrecks.

Anyway, deciding on doing OHP (sorry Darth lol) tomorrow or not. Still pretty wrecked from deads, but I wanna hit 1rms again before I go on vacation end of April.

Hi Fitness GAF!

I've been trying to get fitter for a while, bought a bike last year and stopped using the bus, but a week ago I decided to get more serious. I signed up for a regular gym membership, figuring if I'm paying for it I'll use it more.

My friends asked me to do a triathalon in July and I agreed so that's my goal point.

I cycle to the gym ~10 minutes away as a warm up
Then I'm doing the NHS's couch to 5k running training, which is 30 minutes of cardio.
Then I do weights: Leg Press - 70lbs (I think), 5 reps of 10, Leg Curls 70lbs 5 sets of 10, Leg Lift 70lbs 5 sets of 10, Shoulder Press 55lbs 3 sets of 10 in first position and 2 sets of 10 in Second, and (I believe) the sit down pull up bar 55lbs 2 sets of 10 overhand and 2 sets of 10 underhand.
Then I cycle home for a cool down. Stretch, bath, cup of tea.

This usually gives me DOMS the day after.

So I guess what I'm asking is: how is this as a beginner's routine, if done 3 times a week? My main goals are to lose weight and increase fitness and stamina.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
aye the fitness thread! Not a heavy lifter. I enjoy my running more; anyway DesertOnyx is tearing it up on fitocracy.

Ain't nothing wrong with running. Did my fair share of it before. Great feeling knowing you're doing what would wreck most people.

Yeah, he tends to do that dude is a monster. I haven't been on fitocracy since they broke it.

I'm still a believer that in many cases the best routine is the one you will stick to. For a lot of people if they tried a program like SS they would give up in no time and end up being back to square one. That's why i consider a lot of the advice in this thread to be pretty poor. Just simply saying to people 'do SS' is barely advice. I think it's worth getting people to read the OP and letting people know the benefits of compound exercises etc but SS isn't ideal for everyone (or even most people imo).

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still a believer that in many cases the best routine is the one you will stick to. For a lot of people if they tried a program like SS they would give up in no time and end up being back to square one. That's why i consider a lot of the advice in this thread to be pretty poor. Just simply saying to people 'do SS' is barely advice. I think it's worth getting people to read the OP and letting people know the benefits of compound exercises etc but SS isn't ideal for everyone (or even most people imo).
Disagree. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The posters in this thread aren't life coaches.

Cudder

HUH? So because someone might quit a routine prematurely, that means we gave them bad advice?

Well in a sense that you are right. If you told me to do "SS" without giving me any extra info, I'd dismiss you instantly.

However, I've read the OP, and the book and have actually put forth the effort into SS and have gotten explanations as to why compounds are important. The movements described in the book explains the concept of muscles working together.

Honestly, without a simple base such as SS, I don't think I would be benching 200+ pounds in my life. I was finally able to squat 225+ lbs for the first time last week and have felt much stronger as well as sleeping easier at night.

FitGAF is certainly critical especially if someone doesn't read the OP. I just think developing a base of strength is important before venturing out to do other crazier workouts. I don't post often in FitGAF, but I'm definitely here to see some progress as well as occasionally PMing a few of the folks for more personal advice.

Take it from me for example, I was not able to do pull-ups last year. Kept at it, and finally able to get 9-10 reps with good form (not that Crossfit humping-the-bar crap). A lot of the other strength guys here have years of experience compared to the rest.

Anyway enough rambling, all I have to do now is control my diet and no more...*sniff*...cookies. =(

Cooter

I'm in complete shock right now. My buddy gave me his straps a few days ago so I used them for my last two sets of DLs today. Holy shit!

405 went up for 5 like it was 315. It was crazy. Then 455x5 without a belt which was tough but much easier than it has ever been. I honestly think I have 550 in the near future and possibly the elusive 3xbw 570. Unbelievable!

BumRush

Straight up.

All that rambling aside.

This is probably my favorite post in all of my years on GAF. When I first came into this thread I assumed it was about all forms of physical fitness but it's more about strength training and 1RMs (which is fine). My goals are different and sometimes it's tough to get motivated to do anything other than squat and deadlift heavy on here...

The only bad advice here is GOMAD. So bad it invalidates not only the whole thread, but the whole fitness, healthcare and food industries. And I say this as someone whose 90% of protein intake proceeds from dairy and eggs. Come at me BROS

/jk

/moreorless

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm in complete shock right now. My buddy gave me his straps a few days ago so I used them for my last two sets of DLs today. Holy shit!

405 went up for 5 like it was 315. It was crazy. Then 455x5 without a belt which was tough but much easier than it has ever been. I honestly think I have 550 in the near future and possibly the elusive 3xbw 570. Unbelievable!

Well, now you know grip is your weak point. Work the shit out of it.

That or somehow straps allowed you to get in better position. Or both.

Petrie

Banned
This is probably my favorite post in all of my years on GAF. When I first came into this thread I assumed it was about all forms of physical fitness but it's more about strength training and 1RMs (which is fine). My goals are different and sometimes it's tough to get motivated to do anything other than squat and deadlift heavy on here...

Not really. It's just that for a beginner those things are the basis for any sort of training. Then you can specialize from there later on. A solid strength based is essential for everything later. Be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, general fitness, or whatever.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

You shouldn't let someone else's accomplishments or goals hold you back. My entire gym is body builders and I do just fine (I'm literally th only powerlifter(style) right now in a gym full of award winning body builders)

Motivation shouldn't come from others. If it does you're destined to fail anyway. Do it for you, or don't bother.

BumRush

Not really. It's just that for a beginner those things are the basis for any sort of training. Then you can specialize from there later on. A solid strength based is essential for everything later. Be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, general fitness, or whatever.

I didn't start out with SS or 5-3-1 or any of the typical strength based programs. I didn't start out trying to increase my max RM (and I still don't now). What I did do was tailor a workout - with help - to my body style and end goals (which was basically a high protein low carb diet, HIIT and superset / drop set / partial reps / negatives) and I couldn't be prouder of the drastic improvements I've seen in overall health, energy and physique.

Cooter

Well, now you know grip is your weak point. Work the shit out of it.

That or somehow straps allowed you to get in better position. Or both.
You're most likely right but I did enjoy the overhand grip with that heavy of weight. It's much easier for me.

HUH? So because someone might quit a routine prematurely, that means we gave them bad advice?

Yes you gave bad advice in that situation. You can get people into the gym without jumping straight to SS. Some people are more likely to stick to it if they start off with something that isn't so challenging on the body (and might not give you the results you want initially).

Most people going to the gym are just trying to lose a bit of weight and get more toned. If you advise them to do SS and they end up just giving up then yes i think you have given terrible advice.

Disagree. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The posters in this thread aren't life coaches.

This is assuming that the only right way to approach things is to do SS. It's also assuming that everyone has the same amount of will power or get the same enjoyment from certain things at the gym.

This one size fits all advice isn't the way to go about things. I think giving people the information in the OP and perhaps sharing the benefits of compound exercises is fine. Simply saying 'you should do SS' isn't good advice and in many cases is actually bad advice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're most likely right but I did enjoy the overhand grip with that heavy of weight. It's much easier for me.

I used to find double overhand felt like it got I to position better, it's very likely that for you too. Now it's "the other way" for me.

I think banging out strapped reps got me to where I am now on deadlift so IMO you're definitely on the right track. Just don't let grip fall behind bud. I'm sure you already know that though.

Cooter

I used to find double overhand felt like it got I to position better, it's very likely that for you too. Now it's "the other way" for me.
Hmm. What also help me is going without shoes. I feel like I have so much more leverage now. The combination of that and the straps appears to have unlocked another gear.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hmm. What also help me is going without shoes. I feel like I have so much more leverage now. The combination of that and the straps appears to have unlocked another gear.

Yeah that will definitely help. Socks or vibrams for me too.

What would you recommend to strengthen grip?

Pull-ups, farmer walks, high rep deadlifts without straps, high rep shrugs, static holds (at end of deadlift or shrugs) anything that has you holding heavy shit.

My grip is really really good now just doing regular training with this stuff incorporatd.

Cudder

Yes you gave bad advice in that situation. You can get people into the gym without jumping straight to SS. Some people are more likely to stick to it if they start off with something that isn't so challenging on the body (and might not give you the results you want initially).

Most people going to the gym are just trying to lose a bit of weight and get more toned. If you advise them to do SS and they end up just giving up then yes i think you have given terrible advice.

This is assuming that the only right way to approach things is to do SS. It's also assuming that everyone has the same amount of will power or get the same enjoyment from certain things at the gym.

This one size fits all advice isn't the way to go about things. I think giving people the information in the OP and perhaps sharing the benefits of compound exercises is fine. Simply saying 'you should do SS' isn't good advice and in many cases is actually bad advice.

If someone wanted to just lose weight and get "toned", I wouldn't recommend that they do SS...

And SS is not challenging on the body for beginners. It's not like you're forced to start at 135 on all of the lifts. You can start with just the bar, and probably should in most cases. It can take months before someone's actually finds SS challenging. I think it's the proper way to do it too. People who post that they maxed their lifts doing SS in under 3 months probably started too high with the weights.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

As I said, the posters in this thread aren't life coaches or personal trainers; they haven't "failed" or given bad advice if someone is unwilling to listen to it. If you think that telling people to do a beginner's strength program is bad advice, you need to outline a) why and b) an alternative. It's impossible to know how a random person on the internet is going to react to certain information and/or what will motivate them. If someone comes into the thread and clearly has little knowledge of resistance training, then yes, the best advice (based on limited context) is to tell them to read the OP and start doing a beginners strength program.

I didn't start out with SS or 5-3-1 or any of the typical strength based programs. I didn't start out trying to increase my max RM (and I still don't now). What I did do was tailor a workout - with help - to my body style and end goals (which was basically a high protein low carb diet, HIIT and superset / drop set / partial reps / negatives) and I couldn't be prouder of the drastic improvements I've seen in overall health, energy and physique.
That's good for you, but Petrie's point still stands. This thread doesn't really have a powerlifting/1RM focus, but it does have a resistance training focus. In terms of fitness, (i.e. the ability to perform a specified task) resistance training is used to increase strength and power. Training for looks is fine and plenty of people in this thread do it and discuss it, but it's not an aspect of "fitness" that this thread overlooks, because looks aren't fitness.

Maybe try hook grip? I have hypermobile elbows so mixed grip is quite bad for me, whereas hook grip allows me to retain the double overhand position whilst increasing grip strength. It's pretty uncomfortable though.

Completely agree with all the follow up posts. Sorry I jumped on you guys, was a little perturbed and cranky!

For the record if the same question was asked (and it has) to me I would give the same advice. Do SS, get used to the basic compound lifts, then once you've built a strength base move onto other things that cater to your goals.

Anyway, now that it's been run into the ground... I'm going to go do my OHPs. :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Completely agree with all the follow up posts. Sorry I jumped on you guys, was a little perturbed and cranky!

For the record if the same question was asked (and it has) to me I would give the same advice. Do SS, get used to the basic compound lifts, then once you've built a strength base move onto other things that cater to your goals.

Anyway, now that it's been run into the ground... I'm going to go do my OHPs. :)

Awe shit! Lol, you did it this time!

(The rest isn't aimed at Darth)

Also I'd argue this thread has more of an aesthetic focus than a PL focus.

I just happen to post a lot and am one of he few who post videos. Don't get that skewed with what the thread is about.

Yes there's a huge emphasis on resistance training (and rightly so) but most people posting in here are aesthetic oriented.

Cooter

(The rest isn't aimed at Darth)

I just happen to post a lot and am one of he few who post videos. Don't get that skewed with what the thread is about.

Yes there's a huge emphasis on resistance training (and rightly so) but most people posting in here are aesthetic oriented.

I'd agree with that. I consider myself a hybrid of sorts which allows me to relate to both sides. ;)

Haha. OHPs have been in my shoulder routine for like... 2 years now. I also just started doing face pulls to hopefully strimulate trap growth. I've always had shitty traps.

I agree. I mean, why do most people want to start working out? To look good is often the bigger motivator these day, with health just being a more convincing reason.

Though as far as this thread goes, we definitely have way more people focusing on aesthetics, but I think the loudest posters are more strength focused. ;)

Which is great because I learn a lot from that, as you mentioned before with the BBers at your gym. I'm gonna admit. For the longest time I felt a little inadequate when reading this thread. I think that's where the frustration came from. Almost as if me not being as strong as I should be was a bad thing.

No more of that.

I'd agree with that. I consider myself a hybrid of sorts which allows me to relate to both sides. ;)
You really are!! You look damn amazing, and it's pretty awesome reading about how strong you are. Best of both worlds!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was more referring to you complaining about OHP being on every page. Lol.

For them traps try snatch grip high pulls maybe. I don't have great traps, but these definitely hit them. I also focus more on the lower trap anyway. I do snatch grip shrugs over regular shrugs too.

Also, Darth. There's two huge BBers at my gym. Like cloud huge and there are things I can do better than them strength wise, but they are still award winning body builders.

Know what ya got, what your strengths are and be proud. I (or someone se)might be stronger in some things than you, but you've got me and many other people stomped with aesthetics.

Husker86

I was going to ask about straps last week.

I haven't used them since high school, but I remember them making a huge difference.

I know my grip is my weak point...I'm not sure it's the strength of the grip though, the skin of my hands just hurts when pulling high (for me) weight. I sometimes get the same feeling when doing high rep pullups.

I want to get some straps but I'm afraid I'll never deadlift without them. Would that be a huge issue?

J. Bravo

Anyone have any 4 day split type programs? Its become very hard for me to do smolov now that school has started and I'm working 40 hours a week. The easiest days for me to workout are thurs-sun so a 4 day split that would be easy to implement in my schedule. Mostly looking to maintain my strength and add some definition and size for summer. If I stay the same from now until semester is over id be fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom