• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone try carb nite?

It's legit in my experience. Some of the information is a bit out of date and Kiefer has provided updates in various locations, but he's yet to release his new book that kind of combines Carb Nite and his other book Carb Back Loading into a single volume.

It seems like everyone who seriously gives it a go has good success. If you're lifting pretty regularly, you might want to check out Carb Back Loading, too.

Anyone have a recommendation for straps?

41MkDNbnbKL._SX450_.jpg

velociraptor

What I always tell people who are on a fixed weight routine of 5x5 is start lifting heavier for lower reps. Even if you only change it up for a week or two I think it is a good idea to get your body accustomed to lifting heavier weight than what you are capable of doing for 5 sets of five.
3 reps of 5 sets?

Stannis

Right, operation YOKE starts now! I'm going to tailor my assistance work around making my traps and upper back grow! Lots of snatch grip high pulls, heavy shrugs, pull ups ect.

Go_Ly_Dow

What I always tell people who are on a fixed weight routine of 5x5 is start lifting heavier for lower reps. Even if you only change it up for a week or two I think it is a good idea to get your body accustomed to lifting heavier weight than what you are capable of doing for 5 sets of five.

Yeah. Ive hit a bit of a wall with my bench targeting 3x5. So going to up the weight and target 3x3.

Keep upping til I hit another wall and then aim for 2 reps.

When it reaches 1 rep Max territory will go back down to my previous wall hitting weight and hope I can get 3x6-8 reps out.

Bailey 87

Would it be okay if I was to post a pic of my body (upper and lower) and you guys harshly critique it please?

Let me explain myself. I've been working out for years but when I started, my workout regime was a mess. I basically only did chest (what can I say in high school people only cared about tits and arms) and it's only recently (2/3 years ago) that I started working out my other parts of my body. This January I started SS and I'm really loving the program but I'm more of an aesthetics man over pure strength so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right program.

sphinx

the piano man
Would it be okay if I was to post a pic of my body (upper and lower) and you guys harshly critique it please?

Let me explain myself. I've been working out for years but when I started, my workout regime was a mess. I basically only did chest (what can I say in high school people only cared about tits and arms) and it's only recently (2/3 years ago) that I started working out my other parts of my body. This January I started SS and I'm really loving the program but I'm more of an aesthetics man over pure strength so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right program.

if you decide to post a pic, why don't you first provide your own critique of your body and then let other people complement you're comments with their own?

Szu

I don't have a forearm pic and I don't have a username like Coosphinxer or like that :D but I think this thread has taken the pic thing way too seriously and I miss the days when it was o.k to put pics for the hell of it.

I welcome these pics and the last batch by FE and Szu too, people have to be able to post pics just because they feel like it, not because they feel they owe the community some kind progress or anything. ,

So this is me during a deadlift, just because I like it and feel like sharing.

Nice shot. The way you're breathing out makes it look like you've got a handlebar mustache.

Bailey 87

if you decide to post a pic, why don't you first provide your own critique of your body and then let other people complement you're comments with their own?

I think body wise I look good, but for the amount of years I've been doing it I could look better. I think I suffer from what most gym goers suffer from. When I look in a mirror I can see the flaws and what I need to do to get my ideal body, but the general public would look at me and think I looked fine.

I'm also trying to make sure I don't get too big because I'm not a fan of the super swole look.

p.s
I'm sure you've seen my pics before my gaf named used to be SomeoneCool

Mr.City

Why does it need to be harshly critiqued?

So my body is in that weird skinny fat state where the upper belly is starting to flatten out but the lower belly has that bump. Body looks more like a sin wave as opposed to Tanahashi mode. Checkpoint 1 will be middle of May while end of the race is July.

Gogogo.

Bailey 87

Why does it need to be harshly critiqued?

because if I was to listen to my family and friends I would be a modern day he-man :p

maybe I'm just being hard on myself but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and my years of chest only workouts haven't made me look lopsided or something.

I dunno I've been lurking this community for years and you guys seem to give harsh but fair criticisms when it comes to form checks and workout regimes and it's my turn to listen to more "pro" body builders

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
3 reps of 5 sets?
Something like M_Night said will work also. You can also pyramid up so your first 2 sets are under 80 but higher reps and your last two are over 80 but lower reps. Up to you.

Post away Baily. We'll offer up some honest criticism.

Szu

because if I was to listen to my family and friends I would be a modern day he-man :p

maybe I'm just being hard on myself but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and my years of chest only workouts haven't made me look lopsided or something.

I dunno I've been lurking this community for years and you guys seem to give harsh but fair criticisms when it comes to form checks and workout regimes and it's my turn to listen to more "pro" body builders

Dammit, just post them so we can make fun of you.

Here, you can make fun of mine.
tSBo4FI.jpg

Can anyone recommended a good workout for me? I am trying to take my two cousins to the gym this weekend, and they want to lose weight. I am trying to put some workout exercises together but don't know if I should have them do 3x5 or 3x10? I'm still new and used to bulking routines so I don't know whats effective toward weight loss

Cudder

Can anyone recommended a good workout for me? I am trying to take my two cousins to the gym this weekend, and they want to lose weight. I am trying to put some workout exercises together but don't know if I should have them do 3x5 or 3x10? I'm still new and used to bulking routines so I don't know whats effective toward weight loss

Eating less is effective for weight loss, and cardio.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Right, operation YOKE starts now! I'm going to tailor my assistance work around making my traps and upper back grow! Lots of snatch grip high pulls, heavy shrugs, pull ups ect.

Well, you've picked the right exercises. Throw in some hardcore rear delt work too. They make your traps pop and shoulders look huge. Since I started doing destroyers my rear delts look awesome. (And this is still being a fatass)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I require more information on these destroyers.

I've got my own version. I get in the pec deck (and switch it for rear delt work) and work up till I can only get 8 or less (right now I end at 190lbs) then I hit every plate on the stack going all the way back up doing amrap with no rest until I can get 15 reps

Shit will fucking wreck you. It usually takes me till I get back up to 60-40 lb plate before I finish.

Pete Rock

Here, you can make fun of mine.
Magical teal furred animals squeee! Loved this pic when you first shared it and forgot to mention as much then. Seeing people goofing off and having fun is the best!

SS is certainly bottom heavy development but if you've only been on it three months you've probably got a ways to go before you're balanced out from years of heavy upper body routines.

I've got my own version. I get in the pec deck (and switch it for rear delt work) and work up till I can only get 8 or less (right now I end at 190lbs) then I hit every plate on the stack going all the way back up doing amrap with no rest until I can get 15 reps

Shit will fucking wreck you. It usually takes me till I get back up to 60-40 lb plate before I finish.

aw yiss

Thanks. I'm about to transition off SS (hit a PR of 385x3x5) and am looking at accessory work for a modified Texas Method routine that a few lifters at my gym have been using. Will definitely include these.

SeanR1221

Do you use a full rom?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Do you use a full rom?

I don't come all the way forward, I come about 3/4 the way forward to keep my arms out of it and keep th tension on my rear delts. You can feel when that happens so you know what to avoid.

I also come back past my shoulders I take it as far back as I can.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
When you're working up do you do amrap up to 8? It's my destroyer day I might try it this way.

No don't burn out working up. 10s all the way up until you can't get past 8 with good form. Rest, hit that same weight again, the start going back up plate by plate. No breaks except switching the pin.

Prepare t sound possessed.

Should be noted, working UP is not plate by plate. Move up as you normally would. The dropset is the only thing that goes plate by plate.

Imm0rt4l

Fuckin' Northern Asian/Mongolian/Russian. He might be a direct descendant of Genghis Khan.

weren't they speaking Japanese? Whatever the fuck he is. He's clearly not human. My mouth is still agape.

edit: Shit maybe he is a descendant of Genghis Khan.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shenanigans!

What's the orange plate? With the others together my math hits 331 unless I'm wrong.

Even that is insane for that weight.

If the bar is 55lbs and the other plate is 25kg this is legit if my math is right. That would have to be some kind f record if this dude was competing.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
How do folks feel about upright rows? (I've read dumbbell is safer than barbell for this) Reading about it online, some call it mainly a traps exercise but other places say it mainly works your delts. Which is accurate? And if you were going to do one supplementary shoulder lift in addition to OHP would it be a good one?

Szu

Magical teal furred animals squeee! Loved this pic when you first shared it and forgot to mention as much then. Seeing people goofing off and having fun is the best!

SS is certainly bottom heavy development but if you've only been on it three months you've probably got a ways to go before you're balanced out from years of heavy upper body routines.

Thanks, it's actually Sulley from Monsters Inc. Got it for my son. I'm just breaking it in.

Szu

How do folks feel about upright rows? (I've read dumbbell is safer than barbell for this) Reading about it online, some call it mainly a traps exercise but other places say it mainly works your delts. Which is accurate? And if you were going to do one supplementary shoulder lift in addition to OHP would it be a good one?

I also read an article about DBs being a safer alternative than the bar. As for a supplementary shoulder lift, I prefer Arnolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom