• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well... my OHP has fallen off a cliff with this cut. I used to finish at 190-195 for 4 and last night I almost busted a blood vessel in my eye completing 175 four times. Boooo!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Will be going to the gym in half an hour or so to do my UD 2.0 tension workout. After that starts the carb load. Got my pasta, cereals, pretzels/bagels and milk ready.

@OogieBoogie, check out also the Bodybuilding and Periodization templates of 5/3/1 if you're interested in hypertrophy.

Yeah, the Bodybuilder template seems right up my alley. I'll enjoy lowering squats to once a week for a little while. Been doing them three times a week forever it seems. My hip flexors will definitely appreciate the rest.

Men's Fitness said:
Workout A

1 Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
2 Barbell Upright Row
Sets: 4 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Sets: 4 Sets: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
4 Bentover Dumbbell Raise
Sets: 4 Reps: 15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Dumbbell Curl
Sets: 4 Reps: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout B

1 Deadlift
2 Chinup
3 Dumbbell Row
4 Back Extension
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Ab Wheel Rollout
Workout C

1 Bench Press
2 Dumbbell Bench Press
3 Dip
4 Dumbbell Fly
5 Triceps Pushdown
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout D

1 Squat
2 Leg Press
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Leg Extension
4 Leg Curl
5 Situp
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Liking the four days/week, the slower progression on the main lifts, the high reps on the accessory lifts, the fact that it doesn't neglect dips and pull-ups... Yeah, I'll definitely try it out for a few weeks.

My question is, for the AMRAP in the 5/3/1 set, is that until failure or just short of it?

Anyone ever try yohimbine hcl or an EC stack? Was thinking of giving one of those a shot.

Well... my OHP has fallen off a cliff with this cut. I used to finish at 190-195 for 4 and last night I almost busted a blood vessel in my eye completing 175 four times. Boooo!

heeeeeeeey, a lift in which I am finally strong than you in

Don't worry about it man, you will get it back quickly.

rokkerkory

I remember when Brolic explained his OHP technique from hand placement to ass engaging. It really made sense to get the lower core into it.

I'm confident you'll get there. I remember one the moments when I'm doing 135. I remember someone standing near me waiting for the squat rack. Probably figured I was just going to warm up with back squats. Once I grip the bar, they probably thought that I'm doing front squats.

The moment I press the weight over my head is when their mind says "WTF is this shit?"

Thanks... Yeah I have been trying different hand placements, feet placements, etc too. I guess I have to keep pushing!

My goal is to OHP my body weight, just like in bench press and squats. The latter two I am there already. I think what may be holding me back is my back pun not intended lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anyone ever try yohimbine hcl or an EC stack? Was thinking of giving one of those a shot.

Ha. I'm sure it won't be the only thing as time passes. :)

I've been through this before. Once I transition into maintaining with about 2500 calories and a real cheat day most of my pre cut numbers do comeback. Still doesn't make it any less disheartening though.

EC stacks really do suppress your appetite for 2-4 hours and give you a tiny energy boost.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What the hell is wrong with me :(, I feel so damn exhausted all the time for the past week. Hoping this passes, feels awful and my lifts are suffering from it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Diet? Sleep? Hydration? Illness?

My diet consists of- Chicken, Tuna, veggies, protein powder/bars, steak, nuts, etc.

can't be hydration I'm constantly drinking water.

Sleep has been an issue the past few days, but I dunno it's beyond just tiredness I feel like my muscles aren't recovering at all.

Could potentially be a col type thing, but only symptoms are the exhaustion.

J. Bravo

My diet consists of- Chicken, Tuna, veggies, protein powder/bars, steak, nuts, etc.

can't be hydration I'm constantly drinking water.

Sleep has been an issue the past few days, but I dunno it's beyond just tiredness I feel like my muscles aren't recovering at all.

Could potentially be a col type thing, but only symptoms are the exhaustion.
might be something like mono. That's exactly how I felt for a month or so. Ended up in the hospital with mono and complications. Take it easy for a week and if you don't feel better, get some bloodwork done.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
might be something like mono. That's exactly how I felt for a month or so. Ended up in the hospital with mono and complications. Take it easy for a week and if you don't feel better, get some bloodwork done.

Damnit man. The night before this all started I was outside in 15 degree weather helping a friend with his car for about 5 hours.

Szu

Whatever. Everyone knows abs are THE most important part of your body!

It's true. Millions of teenagers can't be wrong. Garden hoses arms, flat rib-exposed chest, toothpick legs, no squat booty, but he's got six-pack abs. He's so ripped.

SeanR1221

haha me too!

But it is okay, this is for the long run. I got way too fat anyway. Let me get to a nice lean 12/13% and then do bulk putting on 2 lbs a month as opposed to gaining 45 lbs in 5.5 months.

Hah I feel the same way. I got too damn fat too fast. Way too many cheat meals and binges on junk.

This cut has taught me I don't need cheat meals and I'm better off cooking everything.

Hah I feel the same way. I got too damn fat too fast. Way too many cheat meals and binges on junk.

This cut has taught me I don't need cheat meals and I'm better off cooking everything.

Eh going out for dinner or going out and having some drinks with buddies every once in awhile is not a bad thing at all imo. You need to reward your body and yourself for eating and training so well. You also don't want to fall in a rut of eating the same thing day in and day out. You need to enjoy life as well. Just don't turn it into a habit (like I did with drinking for awhile).

SeanR1221

Eh going out for dinner or going out and having some drinks with buddies every once in awhile is not a bad thing at all imo. You need to reward your body and yourself for eating and training so well. You also don't want to fall in a rut of eating the same thing day in and day out. You need to enjoy life as well. Just don't turn it into a habit (like I did with drinking for awhile).

Oh I completely I agree. I just went overboard. It was never a sensible cheat meal it was always excessive and what started as one night a week turned into 2-4 cheat meals a week. I'd be good with 1 every other week

Oh I completely I agree. I just went overboard. It was never a sensible cheat meal it was always excessive and what started as one night a week turned into 2-4 cheat meals a week. I'd be good with 1 every other week

Haha I feel ya. Ya I've tightened my belt recently too. It feels good eating right and hitting those reps.

J. Bravo

Damnit man. The night before this all started I was outside in 15 degree weather helping a friend with his car for about 5 hours.

dunno if you can get mono that way. might just be a cold, or that nasty virus thats going around some states. like i said, if you're not better within a week, hit up the dr.

Go_Ly_Dow

So I did deadlifts last Sunday, pushed it and hit a new PR

Last night and today there have been a few occasions where I will get a very sharp and noticeable pain in my lower back. The pain will last like 1-2 seconds and then fade.

I know it's best to go see a doctor about this kinda stuff but just wondered if you guys might have any vague ideas what it could be and if it's related to DL's.

hxa155

Hey fitbros. I recently decided to start doing hang cleans and power cleans. Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to get sore hip flexors from those exercises?

So on Monday, I hit a rep PR on SS: 385x3x5. This felt great--very solid, no form breakdown or anything.

Before I go further, some background: towards the end of last year, I went through a pretty rough breakup, and essentially didn't lift and got drunk just about every night for 2ish months, then just moped around for 1 more, just for good measure. Lost about 20 lbs, was down to 180-185.

In January, I decided to leave Facebook for my own mental health, with the stipulation being that maybe I'd join back up when I could hit a rather arbitrary goal: squat 405. At this point, my first SS workout had me EEK out 245x3x5, and I literally could not squat for three days after because I was so sore.

Enter Starting Strength and ~1 month of GOMAD.

As my Monday SS workout went well, I considered keeping down the SS path. However, some circumstances were forcing me to head back to Facebook ahead of time, as I needed to plan an event and send out FB invites. So with the encouragement of a friend, I decided today I would try for 405 on the squat.

Even though I was confident I would get it, I was still nervous...but it went up smooth. 405x1.

Thinking "fuck it, why not" I loaded up 430, which was 5 lbs heavier than my PR from around mid last year. That went up solid as well.

Same with 440.

A rather experienced powerlifter at the gym said it looked good and I should consider bumping it up even more. I initially put 450 on the bar, but I mean, 455 was RIGHT there and putting the 25s on looked AWESOME.

So, 455x1: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...82&authkey=!AD32qGAFSIG33dU&ithint=video,.mp4

(hope the video works for y'all)

I clearly have a sticking point, but it felt great. I would have kept going, but my left shoulder bugged me more and more after each set (it's my bum shoulder).

Feeling good, bros. I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER

This may be a silly question but how do you get someone started on deadlifts when they can only use the bar? It seems like completely different lift with the bar coming straight off the ground. Trying to help my friend get started but she only weighs like 46kg's so getting started is a little difficult.

grumble

Hey fitbros. I recently decided to start doing hang cleans and power cleans. Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to get sore hip flexors from those exercises?

You might be letting your knees slide forward during the movement; that can wipe the flexors.

rokkerkory

I finally got 85lb DBs flat bench chest press today. Just 3.25 reps with help at the end but feel mighty good. Been scared to do 85lbs for some time just had to get over it and with a spotter took the chance. :D

This may be a silly question but how do you get someone started on deadlifts when they can only use the bar? It seems like completely different lift with the bar coming straight off the ground. Trying to help my friend get started but she only weighs like 46kg's so getting started is a little difficult.
You have to have a set of two blocks to set the bar on.

do you have any advice on preventing my lowerback from rounding during deadlifts?

i cant seem to keep it tight going up
Make sure your shins are in the unknurled parts of the bar, you might have your feet too far apart. Make sure your grip is just outside of your legs.
Hold a big breath before you pull.
Chest up before you pull. You should be straining your legs to put your chest up.
Start the pull with your legs.
Use less weight.

Make sure your shins are in the unknurled parts of the bar, you might have your feet too far apart. Make sure your grip is just outside of your legs.
Hold a big breath before you pull.
Chest up before you pull. You should be straining your legs to put your chest up.
Start the pull with your legs.
Use less weight.

that goes without saying.

i'll try the other cues, thanks

Chittagong

Gold Member
Have been trying to get my squat right for a while now. Realizing I have ruined my back and created incredibly tight hamstrings with 14 years of hunched over office work, I have become really determinded to improve my core and flexibility hopefully then also my squat.

What do the fit gaf pros say of the form here? Does it look like my back is curved? Butt wink? Is it low enough? Bar above feet? Knees travelling to far forewards?

C8XPUXi.jpg

Thanks again!

Have been trying to get my squat right for a while now. Realizing I have ruined my back and created incredibly tight hamstrings with 14 years of hunched over office work, I have become really determinded to improve my core and flexibility hopefully then also my squat.

What do the fit gaf pros say of the form here? Does it look like my back is curved? Butt wink? Is it low enough? Bar above feet? Knees travelling to far forewards?

C8XPUXi.jpg

Thanks again!

Might need to arch your back a bit more by sticking out your chest

Also drop a teenie bit lower

Pakoe

ECY absolutely killed my apetite, i couldn't eat all day. I prefer ECA.

So on Monday, I hit a rep PR on SS: 385x3x5. This felt great--very solid, no form breakdown or anything.

Before I go further, some background: towards the end of last year, I went through a pretty rough breakup, and essentially didn't lift and got drunk just about every night for 2ish months, then just moped around for 1 more, just for good measure. Lost about 20 lbs, was down to 180-185.

In January, I decided to leave Facebook for my own mental health, with the stipulation being that maybe I'd join back up when I could hit a rather arbitrary goal: squat 405. At this point, my first SS workout had me EEK out 245x3x5, and I literally could not squat for three days after because I was so sore.

Enter Starting Strength and ~1 month of GOMAD.

As my Monday SS workout went well, I considered keeping down the SS path. However, some circumstances were forcing me to head back to Facebook ahead of time, as I needed to plan an event and send out FB invites. So with the encouragement of a friend, I decided today I would try for 405 on the squat.

Even though I was confident I would get it, I was still nervous...but it went up smooth. 405x1.

Thinking "fuck it, why not" I loaded up 430, which was 5 lbs heavier than my PR from around mid last year. That went up solid as well.

Same with 440.

A rather experienced powerlifter at the gym said it looked good and I should consider bumping it up even more. I initially put 450 on the bar, but I mean, 455 was RIGHT there and putting the 25s on looked AWESOME.

So, 455x1: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...82&authkey=!AD32qGAFSIG33dU&ithint=video,.mp4

(hope the video works for y'all)

I clearly have a sticking point, but it felt great. I would have kept going, but my left shoulder bugged me more and more after each set (it's my bum shoulder).

Feeling good, bros. I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER

nicely done, so is your weight back up or are you still in the 180 range?

Besides Mens MultiVitamins, Fish Oil, Calcium, and Vitamin D should I get anything else?

Definitely need to keep your chest up. Imagine you are trying to hold a tennis ball in between your chin and chest.

Knees probably need to be shoved out more.

ECY absolutely killed my apetite, i couldn't eat all day. I prefer ECA.

I been trying to understand a bit more about EC/ECA and is its main benefit just appetite suppression? It will also slightly increases your BMR from what I believe. I wouldn't mind trying it but I don't know if it is worth it. Maybe just try Yohimbine instead.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Might need to arch your back a bit more by sticking out your chest

Also drop a teenie bit lower

Definitely need to keep your chest up. Imagine you are trying to hold a tennis ball in between your chin and chest.

Knees probably need to be shoved out more.

Thanks guys. Pushing chest out / arching back is definitely the hardest bit for me - having hunched over a computer for 14 years in work has built a real rounded shoulders syndrome and led to a terrible posture I am now trying to undo by strenghtening my upper back and core. It's especially tough in deadlift, trying to pull my shoulder blades back.

J. Bravo

So fucking sore. Did SLDLs for the first time ever. Only did 185 to try and the form down. But I'm sore as shit, and they were a lot more challenging than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom