• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

solid progress, Despire! You actually gained a bit of weight, while looking leaner and slimming down your waist, sounds like you recomped very nicely!

Thanks. I hope you're right :)

holy shit, those faces are nightmare inducing.

Just use the "Radial blur" function in photoshop ;)

You've definitely leaned out more. Now it's time to pack on the size and get heeeeeeeoooooge my friend.

Thank you buddy! Just gonna trim a little bit of fat off and then it's my time. Soon.. :)

Imm0rt4l

Masterful.

How long have you been lifting immortal?

I started lifting in high school in a buddies backyard with this older cat who taught us a more prison yard style of training. We only had maybe 120lbs of weight in total. For a while I lifted like a Neanderthal lugging weights around with no real rhyme or reason and dropped it all together because it wasn't really a discipline for me yet. Started lifting again at around around 20 and for the next years of college became more of a bro in my training while playing rugby, though I was bigger than I am now(fatter) but OK in strength. My training has evolved to include more exercise science and smarter nutrition. I'm seeing diminishing returns with regards to lean mass, but I can still go up in strength for sure. Hard to quantify the length of time because I didn't stick with it before but I have for a number of years now.

New personal best: squat 1x5 264 lbs (120 kg).

First 6 week cycle on texas method done.

well done man

sphinx

the piano man
Not bad at all sphinx. You're definitely getting stronger! A couple quick things I noticed.

- It's hard to tell but I think your grip is too wide on OHP. Your elbows look like they're out instead of more forwards

- on squats maybe a slightly wider stance and really open the hips up and sit into it. Imagine you are spreading the floor with your feet.

Was going to mention the same thing for his OHP, they seem just a bit wide. The wider your hands/arms are for OHP, the more power you lose going straight upwards. I'm not sure if there's a rule to OHP for how deep you have to lower the bar (I touch my chest), but if not, those looked like really solid reps.

edit: also, I would work on putting your head back in it's original place once you lower the bar past your chin. Your head is kinda still hanging backwards as if the bar needs to pass through, but it doesn't since the movement has been completed.

thanks for the comments!

I don't know, maybe my grip is indeed a bit wide, I know I put my ring finger in the ring-like orientation of the bar, I have never felt like it hurts or something, but I will experiment with a narrower grip to see how it feels.

and yes, I have to stop leaning (or hanging my head) backwards on work sets, I keep my head straight in warm-up sets but on a 5RM is much harder.

about ROM, when on 5 or less RM I count it as "o.k" when it's below my face. For squat I have a reference with the levels on which you can rack the bar and on Bench, is about 1.5 inches away from chest.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't know, maybe my grip is indeed a bit wide, I know I put my ring finger in the ring-like orientation of the bar, I have never felt like it hurts or something, but I will experiment with a narrower grip to see how it feels

My OHP improved when I narrowed my grip. What I do is I position myself at the bar before bringing it off the rack, and with the bar still at chest level, position my hands so that they're maybe an inch or so out from my shoulders.

Imm0rt4l

Pete rubish, a powerlifter I've posted with monster deads and squats recently started upping vids on his youtube channel about his experiences with anabolics. Tren sounds crazy as hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally getting into consistently being able to do my 3x5 sets of Overhead Presses at 100 lbs. and lower back squats at 200 lbs. Form on the overhead presses could be better, but I'll take it! It's completely arbitrary, but something feels good about hitting these 100 lb. milestones.

demon

Finally getting into consistently being able to do my 3x5 sets of Overhead Presses at 100 lbs. and lower back squats at 200 lbs. Form on the overhead presses could be better, but I'll take it! It's completely arbitrary, but something feels good about hitting these 100 lb. milestones.

100 is a nice milestone for OHP but don't tell me it felt as good as putting those 25s on for the first time. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
100 is a nice milestone for OHP but don't tell me it felt as good as putting those 25s on for the first time. :)

Definitely not! 2.5 lb. weights are so small. I imagine it's going to be the best thing ever when I finally get to slap on a pair of 45s. What once was a daunting squat weight will be something I can lift over my head. Hope I can get there in a year or so.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I feel like this can't possibly end well. I always try and do my business well beforehand with coffee, but diarrhea? Godspeed

Fuck I failed on a third rep of 405, back is still sore from DLs and my ass was gonna assplode LOL.

Triceps/chest and pullups it is!

rokkerkory

Back update... it's so hard to take a good pic like this. Sorry about shitty iphone blurry pic quality.

10151963_10152283869773758_138505351_n.jpg

J. Bravo

How long do you guys think it would take to achieve this look from an average body (not overweight or muscular).

he's got pretty broad shoulders, and a skinny waist. i'd guess 7% bf. i actually have a friend with a body like that, and he was pretty much born that way. not even kidding. it's super fucked up the genetics some people have lmao.

not that any of that answers your question.

rokkerkory

How long do you guys think it would take to achieve this look from an average body (not overweight or muscular).

3-4 years

let me give more info, 3-4 years if you are not used to working out or never have been to truly make that lifestyle change.

If you have gym before and are active then 2 years.

rokkerkory

The fuck? The guy in the pic doesn't even have a huge amount of muscle mass.

Well, you didn't really qualify a bunch of things right. 'Average body' was the only info. Not sure what type of answer you're looking for with that.

How well would they stick to working out? Eating right? How often at the gym? etc etc

What about building the amount of muscle that man in the picture has? Let's assume someone is dedicated enough to go the gym 4 days a week. How long would it take to achieve that kind of muscle mass. Putting aside his body fat levels for the moment.

NateDrake

What about building the amount of muscle that man in the picture has? Let's assume someone is dedicated enough to go the gym 4 days a week. How long would it take to achieve that kind of muscle mass. Putting aside his body fat levels for the moment.

That is a lot of lean muscle combined with being well toned. Doing a proper diet, minimum of 4 days at the gym a week, it would still take 1yr+. But it will still depend on your bone structure and other factors. Working out for several months with proper increase of weights, cardio, and core exercises, you'll see some muscle definition in a few months - again, depending on your current build, body fat levels, etc..

I'm actually looking to achieve a look similar to that - though I'm not expecting any quick results. I have a natural thin waistline but have broad shoulders. While I focused on pure weight gain for a while (I'm 6'1" and weigh 160), I have switched to working out to achieve more strength and overall tone. I only want to weigh around 180-190, so bulking up isn't of key importance to me and the exercises reflect that.

despire

3-4 to for years sounds about right in my experience. Maybe a bit less if you do everything right. A bit more if you don't. Reality is harsh..

NateDrake

3-4 to for years sounds about right in my experience. Maybe a bit less if you do everything right. A bit more if you don't. Reality is harsh..

Based on the info I shared above your post of my current physique, would you say about the same or less? I have worked out before and am active. Only recently stopped due to injury.

do a cycle or 3 of test and you'll be there in like 6 months if you eat right and take the drugs correctly.
What's this?

demon

Yea, careful with that. Friend did that and he has gyno... aka boobs.

I'd believe it. Raise your testosterone levels and your body will raise your estrogen along with it, and that can grow you the titties. Just like with Propecia.

despire

That guy is huge?

He's not huge but he/they have a lot more muscle mass than an average male has nowadays.

Like others have said, it depends on many factors: genetics, diligence, starting point etc.. You just have to start lifting and eating and see where you'll end up. Maybe it takes a year, maybe two, maybe more.. Impossible to say. You just need to devote yourself and you'll get there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I would go with the 3-4 years for a non-lifter too.

The hard thing to appreciate is how much time actually building that delt and pecs mass takes. And there is definitely mass, since he has more noticable delts and pecs than an untrained joe average.

So you would first go on a lifting routine with excess calories for, say, half a year. You'd inevitably put on some fat in the process of building muscle. Then you would shred down for some months, losing a bit of that muscle in the process. Then you'd build again. Rinse and repeat. To end up in a shredded state with even that much muscle means that you have had more before getting ripped.

And none of this even assumes yet that you are to learn the big lifts right because you haven't done them before, and need to nail them to progress to grow muscle. Hell it has taken me a year and a half to get to a decent squat - learning to engage muscles I didn't know how to activate, relearning how to descend, strenghtening weak muscles ruined by years of office work. And I still don't deadlift right because of my office work made rounded shoulders.

What is 3-4 years for a body like that? Not so much I think. But it requires dedication, discipline and consistency.

sphinx

the piano man
besides, anyone looking for that body better be in their mid-twenties or younger.

to get there while starting from zero training and being above 30, yeah, those bodies are a lot less likely to happen.

Not that you can not look cut and defined at any age, but a body that is 35 years old or more is a whole completely different thing compared to the body that is 22 years old, can't be compared.

SeanR1221

I love when fitgaf comes together for advice.

Bam bam, I'd have a goal in mind but I'd also focus on becoming the best you that you can be. We all have different looks here and there's no one size fits all answers. Maybe post a pic up of how you look now so we can see your baseline.

Visceir

Meh, I believe that physique can be attained in a year. 8 - 10 months bulk+2 months cut. Add in an extra 3 - 4 months where you build strenght and/or learn form and what to actually do in the gym.

3 - 4 years is waaay too much.

Pakoe

So, i've decided to stop bulking and start cutting again. Last year's cut brought me to this:

ibzqVDMxBnUlvN.png

165lbs'ish

Where i'm at now:
id3U83I1FAALb.jpg

Around 170lbs i'm thinking, haven't really weighed myself. I mostly just check in the mirror if i'm gaining or not.
Last year i didn't really count my calories as much as i'm doing right now, so i'm hoping i can keep all my mass while losing all the fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom