• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

So, i've decided to stop bulking and start cutting again. Last year's cut brought me to this:

ibzqVDMxBnUlvN.png

165lbs'ish

Where i'm at now:
id3U83I1FAALb.jpg

Around 170lbs i'm thinking, haven't really weighed myself. I mostly just check in the mirror if i'm gaining or not.
Last year i didn't really count my calories as much as i'm doing right now, so i'm hoping i can keep all my mass while losing all the fat.

Looking good in both. What's your calorie/macro breakdown like?

I really need to get a fucking set sleep schedule. I can't lift while guessing when it's a good time to lift. My hours have been so fucked up the few weeks.

I got in today for back/bis and by the time I got to biceps I was falling asleep on the preacher chair.

Bad.

I've been sick as a dog on and off for the past three weeks, stepped on the scale and I've lost 7 pounds since the end of February. No wonder I've felt so weak when I was feeling better.

rokkerkory

So, i've decided to stop bulking and start cutting again. Last year's cut brought me to this:

ibzqVDMxBnUlvN.png

165lbs'ish

Where i'm at now:
id3U83I1FAALb.jpg

Around 170lbs i'm thinking, haven't really weighed myself. I mostly just check in the mirror if i'm gaining or not.
Last year i didn't really count my calories as much as i'm doing right now, so i'm hoping i can keep all my mass while losing all the fat.

Really nice job man. Looking good with nice size. I hate losing size during cut but that is reality. Keep it up!

Pete Rock

The broadness of the shoulder is the most important part to me.
Body parts much like life are a series of negotiations or interrelationships. You could spend a long time focused on your upper back and without a tiny waist it wouldn't be nearly as impressive. But I do agree in the end, big traps and fat lats make everything pop and keep you well away from that skinny model look.

Realistically if that example is a goal and you are truly starting from "zero" or "average" I would say two years, one year to get a solid strength foundation and the next year to realize you're never going to care about squatting 500 pounds and you need to dial in your diet for the next long while to make those changes while also maintaining your recently learned lifting discipline.

252 lbs and just under 15% body fat according to the trainers at the gym. Looks like it in the mirror too. Feeling goooooooood.

What a way to celebrate it with lamb gyros today and pizza tomorrow.

sphinx

the piano man
Not the biggest contributer in the thread, but a loyal lurker, here I share my progress of a little over 2 years of training:

http://i.imgur.com/2AAprDo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VQESQZZ.jpg

For the past year I have been suffering with a chronic tension headache, still hit the gym though, just not very enthusiastic about it :(

what is Chronic Tension Headache? can it be treated? I wish you the best.

that aside, that's very successful, congratulations! fitgaf is on a roll with those PRs and nice progress pics.

today I realized I have been growing a nice pair of bewbs so to celebrate and join the party, I did a before/after and I have precisely a pic from last year from that angle for a fair comparison (light aside, lol).

pecho20122014b_zps002527f6.jpg

I can't even imagine OHP my body weight =/

Sighhhhh keep pushing!

I am exactly like 25 pounds from OHPing my current weight, that is just not going to happen this year. I am probably going to go from 110 to 132 across the year, probably, maybe, if things go well.

I'd have to reach 154 to reach current bodyweight, I am not in a hurry, though.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Do you follow any sort of protocol before or after deadlifting? Or do you just more or less deal with it

Not really, I just try to maintain perfect form on deadlifts if I ever do them. I crack my pelvic area sometimes which seems to release some tightness. Foam rolling my lower back does not help in any way so I don't do that anymore.

I started lifting in high school in a buddies backyard with this older cat who taught us a more prison yard style of training. We only had maybe 120lbs of weight in total. For a while I lifted like a Neanderthal lugging weights around with no real rhyme or reason and dropped it all together because it wasn't really a discipline for me yet. Started lifting again at around around 20 and for the next years of college became more of a bro in my training while playing rugby, though I was bigger than I am now(fatter) but OK in strength. My training has evolved to include more exercise science and smarter nutrition. I'm seeing diminishing returns with regards to lean mass, but I can still go up in strength for sure. Hard to quantify the length of time because I didn't stick with it before but I have for a number of years now.

well done man

Thanks & thanks!

Weighed myself recently - about a week ago - down to 76,0 Kg! which means I've roughly lost/dropped 11,8 Kg/26 lbs. Used to weigh 87,8 Kg during the peak of my 1st bulk. Plan on going below 75 Kg and then slowly escalate bulking after maintaining for a while.

It's gonna be wonderful walking to the gym when the sunny weather springs out. Summer is just around the corner. Had a few mildly sunny days in this past month.

rokkerkory

Anyone else annoyed with their friends when they ask how to gym, what to eat, what to do to lose weight, BLAH BLAH YADDA YADDA then do NOTHING about it?

Shit gets on my nerves.

Visceir

Had a girl ask me to show how to use gym equipment/do exercises today. Dunno, I find it actually cool to help out other people. Helping out others is actually quite satisfying.

rokkerkory

Had a girl ask me to show how to use gym equipment/do exercises today. Dunno, I find it actually cool to help out other people. Helping out others is actually quite satisfying.

Thats completely opposite of my rant.

Of course if they actually do something then I like helping anyone I can too.

Visceir

Haha, I missed the "do nothing" part. Still dont really mind talking about fitness/diet stuff, but I hardly ever get worked up over anything

Petrie

Banned
I just had the scariest moment of my life GAF. Today was squats and leg day. Did my 3s day for squats. Them my accessory stuff of leg extensions where I could really feel it in the muscle right above my knee, them leg press. It's 8 hours later and I go to jump up from my chair and my right leg seizes up. Like, the muscle blows up to twice normal size, and I fall over because I can't bend my leg. I pulled my self up and just layed there for about 5 minutes, them dragged myself to the bathtub. I started to bend it a bit which hurt like hell and felt like the muscle was going to burst.

It seems fine now though if I flex I can feel it coming on in both legs. Wtf just happened?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just had the scariest moment of my life GAF. Today was squats and leg day. Did my 3s day for squats. Them my accessory stuff of leg extensions where I could really feel it in the muscle right above my knee, them leg press. It's 8 hours later and I go to jump up from my chair and my right leg seizes up. Like, the muscle blows up to twice normal size, and I fall over because I can't bend my leg. I pulled my self up and just layed there for about 5 minutes, them dragged myself to the bathtub. I started to bend it a bit which hurt like hell and felt like the muscle was going to burst.

It seems fine now though if I flex I can feel it coming on in both legs. Wtf just happened?

mvJiJaC.jpg

Pete Rock

Sounds like a wicked cramp? Dehydrated or lack of potassium? When I was waking up with bad cramps my calves felt like bricks, it was awful.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yeah sounds completely like what I've experienced a few times, except for the whole "swelling to twice its size" part.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah sounds completely like what I've experienced a few times, except for the whole "swelling to twice its size" part.

I may have exaggerated that due to being freaked out. It was more like it was just stuck in a flexed state. The cuts looked pretty nice I must admit.

Imm0rt4l

6'2

what's wrong with leg extensions?

The torque isn't good for your knees/ligaments. It's one of the more controversial exercises, I've known kinesiology professors say to avoid them at all costs. But from my own experiences they've felt alright at lower weights. If you're going to do them, definitely don't go heavy is my line of thought.

edit: I think it can also contribute to muscle imbalance if you don't do hamstring curls.

J. Bravo

yeah man def a cramp. that happens to me when i play ball followed by legs followed by more ball followed by sleep. the next day i can't do shit with my legs and they threaten to cramp up every step until i get some water.

agrajag

Banned
I used to do leg extensions a lot but stopped doing them bc of all the bad for your knees stuff I read about. I stopped doing leg curls too, but now th at I've started doing front squats I'd like to start doing those again.

Cudder

I may have exaggerated that due to being freaked out. It was more like it was just stuck in a flexed state. The cuts looked pretty nice I must admit.

lmao. not that what happened to you is funny, but I imagine for one second amidst all of your pain, you looking at your leg and being like "damn, my leg looks super ripped"

_Isaac

So I've been trying to learn the Power Clean, and everything about it is really difficult. Are you meant to have really cushiony shoulders because just having the empty bar resting near my shoulders hurts a lot.

So I've been trying to learn the Power Clean, and everything about it is really difficult. Are you meant to have really cushiony shoulders because just having the empty bar resting near my shoulders hurts a lot.

Your shoulders need to be flexible enough to have the barbell rest on them. You might have to do some shoulder stretches or exercises such as dislocations, etc.

They say that it's the easiest oly lift but it's still very complicated. I'm still struggling with it even with lightweight and I recently tweaked my right wrist last week doing them so I might ditch it altogether.

Watching a lot of youtube vids like this helped
http://youtu.be/6tXcS0Xp1aE
In fact I have the SS DVD which is very thorough. What also helped was practicing with a broom or a long stick at home and breaking each move down to 3 steps.

_Isaac

Your shoulders need to be flexible enough to have the barbell rest on them. You might have to do some shoulder stretches or exercises such as dislocations, etc.

They say that it's the easiest oly lift but it's still very complicated. I'm still struggling with it even with lightweight and I recently tweaked my right wrist last week doing them so I might ditch it altogether.

Watching a lot of youtube vids like this helped
http://youtu.be/6tXcS0Xp1aE
In fact I have the SS DVD which is very thorough. What also helped was practicing with a broom or a long stick at home and breaking each move down to 3 steps.

I can rest it on my shoulders, it just hurts. I think my shoulders are just too bony I guess. :p I also hit my balls once trying to learn them. Good times.

Szu

Well, had a rare leg day today, because my schedule got thrown off a bit by movie night with my wife. We saw Captain America. Kick ass movie!!!

I knocked some overhead squats. Some people were watching me in a similar way when I did OHP.

This was probably the internal dialogue that was happening.

"Oh, this guy doing his OHP again. Hmmm, he's in a back squat position. I guess he's going to warm up. Huh, he just push pressed the weight over his head. What a cheater. Wait a sec, he's lowering down and the weight is still above his head. He's doing a squat! Dafuq!!!!!!!"

_Isaac

Well, had a rare leg day today, because my schedule got thrown off a bit by movie night with my wife. We saw Captain America. Kick ass movie!!!

I knocked some overhead squats. Some people were watching me in a similar way when I did OHP.

This was probably the internal dialogue that was happening.

"Oh, this guy doing his OHP again. Hmmm, he's in a back squat position. I guess he's going to warm up. Huh, he just push pressed the weight over his head. What a cheater. Wait a sec, he's lowering down and the weight is still above his head. He's doing a squat! Dafuq!!!!!!!"

Has anybody ever tried to help you out or correct your form when they look at you like that?

Szu

Has anybody ever tried to help you out or correct your form when they look at you like that?

No, but then I think they realize that it's a legit workout and not something that I just threw together. For one thing, I also warm up before and during sets with a towel over my head. So, I kinda give the impression that I'm doing it right.

Also the fact that I didn't drop the barbell on my head is a good sign.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
man thats crazy, I can't imagine being able to OHP 20 pounds over my body weight

I can't even imagine OHP my body weight =/

Sighhhhh keep pushing!

Technically I OHP 45-50 lbs over my weight. This was 255 for 3 reps.

Video won't upload to YouTube right now. Internet is taking a shit again. You can see it on my fb now though. Will upload when I can.

https://www.facebook.com/JWFJR/posts/10203650253727851

Not the biggest contributer in the thread, but a loyal lurker, here I share my progress of a little over 2 years of training:

http://i.imgur.com/2AAprDo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VQESQZZ.jpg

For the past year I have been suffering with a chronic tension headache, still hit the gym though, just not very enthusiastic about it :(

Very impressive especially for 2 years. Good work.

Exokell

Banned
so bros questions:
I dont deadlift, cause it really hurts my lower back even though I lift with my legs and do proper form. Do I need to do deadlifts? is it mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom