• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Pro tip!
After blending/mixing your protein shake with milk wait a minute for the thick foam to rise to the surface. Scrape off with a spoon and you will have zero bloated gassy stomach from your shake!
This problem has haunted me forever till I thought to do this.
You get foam in your protein shake?

blackflag

What kinda shakes you be eating to get gas? I use Trutein or MusclePharm Combat powder and I've never had a case of this. Often 100grams a day.

Pro tip!
After blending/mixing your protein shake with milk wait a minute for the thick foam to rise to the surface. Scrape off with a spoon and you will have zero bloated gassy stomach from your shake!
This problem has haunted me forever till I thought to do this.

That ain't milk foam bro.

In regards to IF. I used to train fasted and not eat until after training. Recently I decided to try something. Instead of training fasted I've been making a shake 1-2 hours before going in. I've noticed pretty good results, of course it could be mental, but the one thing that is certain is that I'm no longer hungry mid workout and I feel as if I'm able to perform better. I also sip Gatorade while training.

The shake is just a scoop of whey, 1 raw egg, 2tbl spoons peanut butter, 1 serving of oatmeal, and water blended up. Simple and effective. I follow it up with 3 cups of dark coffee.

It's really worked out really well for me. It's not heavy, doesn't impede my training and I have a lot more energy.

Not arguing against IF at all. It clearly works, but I'm thinking for me and some other people it may not be ideal.

I also have been eating many small meals throughout the day (not intentionally) and it's also been working. Typically it's breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I only recently realized the other day I've basically been doing what those "metabolic fire stokers" have been talking about.

All the stuff I read on IF indicated that you should get some protein or BCAAs before workout. Going actually fasted would be very difficult, if not counterproductive. The Gatorade seems like a good idea to me too. I do IF as described by Leangains, which has me eating a small meal at noon/early afternoon, another small meal before workout and the bulk of my calories and carbs after that. I think it's working, but it's only been one week. I didn't know you were cutting though!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm definitely not cutting,mainly eating for what I doing specifically for the day.

And IF is simply fasting intermittently. I wasn't referring to a specific program, and plenty of people train fasted. It's simply no longer for me.

Also IF isn't necessarily for cutting either, all depends in how you do it.

As for training completely fasted being difficult. I've done it for the last two years. My current numbers are from training completely fasted.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Training fasted is a piece of cake once your body adapts. I do it practically every time and the times I do eat before my strength is the same.

Just eat your macros and do it in a way that fits your typical diet. It is more important to find a diet that works well for you than it is to force yourself into a diet because other people do it.

IF, paleo, keto, carb cycling, low fat diets all work. 5 meals, 3 meals, 2 meals. Some may be scientifically better than others, but good lord it's not worth caring about.

despire

So how many people here have done Lyle's Generic Bulking routine? I guess it's my next step after my cut is over. 5/3/1 is also enticing but maybe I'll try Lyle's routine first (weekly progress instead of monthly and all that..)

I have a two week diet break now and I need to do something so I think I would try Lyle's routine for these two weeks and see how I like it.

ILoveBish

235 on bench done. Felt pretty awesome.

On the diet talk, I am still cutting on keto while still hitting new pr's at the gym for the past 6+ months. I'll do a detailed post later after I finish my last day on my 6th 5/3/1 session. I eat 3 meals a day, 2 of them are the same exact thing, third is a large whey shake. I hit my macros exactly this way. That is key of course. 2100 calories on normal days, 2400 on gym days.

Xater

So I think I am either training too much or not eating enough. Today during my workout I felt sick, almost had to puke. Came home and weighed myself, apparently I lost weight so fast from training that I am already into underweight territory.

So I think I am either training too much or not eating enough. Today during my workout I felt sick, almost had to puke. Came home and weighed myself, apparently I lost weight so fast from training that I am already into underweight territory.

Could be dehydration as well. How many ounces of fluid do you drink a day?

SeanR1221

Damn those protein cookies were good. I ate three :-x

If you think quest bars can cause a fiber overload the next morning....Welp....

I'm European so I don#t do ounces. I drink at least 2 liters.

Ah then you're definitely hydrating plenty. Just wanted to throw the idea out there. If you're considered underweight then you're probably right to consider your calorie intake. I doubt you're over-training to the point you're losing weight that rapidly, although it is possible. My first guess is that you're just under eating. How many calories do you eat a day, roughly?

Xater

Ah then you're definitely hydrating plenty. Just wanted to throw the idea out there. If you're considered underweight then you're probably right to consider your calorie intake. I doubt you're over-training to the point you're losing weight that rapidly, although it is possible. My first guess is that you're just under eating. How many calories do you eat a day, roughly?

I am not yet underweight but I definitely lost weight fast since starting going to the gym. I never really counter calories, so used this Myfitnesspal site to see how much calories I ate today so far and what I would probably eat in the evening. Looks like that would be barely over a 1000, probaly in the 1200 range. That is clearly not enough, right?

MrKnives

What is Fitness-GAF's stance on working out while sick? I'm not talking about fever or anything too bad, but a sore throat and a slightly runny nose. I'm not feeling 100 % but I hate not doing anything.

What is Fitness-GAF's stance on working out while sick? I'm not talking about fever or anything too bad, but a sore throat and a slightly runny nose. I'm not feeling 100 % but I hate not doing anything.
It's OK, don't try to break any new records or anything, just maintain.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Don't go if you think you're contagious.

If you feel like you have the energy to do it, then do it, but it isn't going to kill you to rest either. If I'm sick I usually take time off to get mostly better. No sense in slaving through a shitty workoout just for the sake of working out. 1 week out of the gym isn't going to massively kill everything.

You know your body better than anyone else here. So I just play it by how you feel.

I am not yet underweight but I definitely lost weight fast since starting going to the gym. I never really counter calories, so used this Myfitnesspal site to see how much calories I ate today so far and what I would probably eat in the evening. Looks like that would be barely over a 1000, probaly in the 1200 range. That is clearly not enough, right?

~1,200 calories is not even enough to maintain body weight. There's no way you can build significant muscle while on a diet that low in calories, unless you're a 148 cm tall woman. For the average male, I cannot see any reason to consume less than 2,000 calories a day (if not more) especially if you're weight training. Just my opinion.

Don't go if you think you're contagious.

I agree with this. It's shitty to go to a gym and cough/sneeze/smear your germs all over the place if you're sick.

I haven't been to the gym in 2 days due to personal and work commitments and I feel flabby and like shit. Definitely going today. Get my mind and body back in the right mode.

Zoe

No way that's enough, especially when you're working out. Your body is eventually going to go into starvation mode.

Xater

~1,200 calories is not even enough to maintain body weight. There's no way you can build significant muscle while on a diet that low in calories, unless you're a 148 cm tall woman. For the average male, I cannot see any reason to consume less than 2,000 calories a day (if not more) especially if you're weight training. Just my opinion.

No way that's enough, especially when you're working out. Your body is eventually going to go into starvation mode.

The problem is I guess I cut out the sweet snacks in the afternoon but did not replace them with anything else. I should probably also start eating more in the morning.

Veezy

que?
I haven't been to the gym in 2 days due to personal and work commitments and I feel flabby and like shit. Definitely going today. Get my mind and body back in the right mode.

I feel ya.

Got moved to a new gym to help fix the PT department and haven't trained in, like, five. Or eaten nearly enough. Fallen off real hard.

Gonna try to do some shoulder/back hypertrophy work.

I feel ya.

Got moved to a new gym to help fix the PT department and haven't trained in, like, five. Or eaten nearly enough. Fallen off real hard.

Gonna try to do some shoulder/back hypertrophy work.

It is a mental thing too. There prolly is no real changes but you feel like it is.

How's that going btw?

I'm definitely not cutting,mainly eating for what I doing specifically for the day.

And IF is simply fasting intermittently. I wasn't referring to a specific program, and plenty of people train fasted. It's simply no longer for me.

Also IF isn't necessarily for cutting either, all depends in how you do it.

As for training completely fasted being difficult. I've done it for the last two years. My current numbers are from training completely fasted.

Whoa, I would have never guessed this

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I took a workout off completely and came back yesterday, destroyed everything and it was just what my body wanted. It was good.

Veezy

que?
It is a mental thing too. There prolly is no real changes but you feel like it is.

How's that going btw?

To say the least, difficult.

I was doing really well with my PT manager couterpart at the Signature club due to the club being new, being started properly, and having all the materials at my disposal to set people up for success.

The gym I'm in now has been ran, pretty much, into the ground. Lack of equipment, lack of accountability, lack of a real system to get things going. The potential for more money, for me, is there, but I've gotta fix about 5 years of mismanagement. It's a huge damn mess.

The truth is that this location used to pull 70k-100k in PT gross per month. It's down to less than 20k just from people not giving a shit and from mismanagement. I'm doing my best to be all about that Zig Ziggler positive mentality, but I feel more sorry for the members than anything. You've got people in their 70s that were treated like shit by my predecessors so everybody thinks the position is a joke. Which, to be fair, it is.

But the weight room here. Damn, it's so slick. I'll put pictures up. There's a separate are with nothing but benches, a few racks, hack squat/leg press, and dumbbells. So alpha.

EDIT: The big picture is, eventually, implementing the same system from the big club out here. Then, telling the VP, CEO, and owner "So, you have two clubs doing well and all the rest doing shitty, where do you want us to fix next?" and taking it from there.

ashleyorm

Neo Member
Have any of you guys had problems with plantar fasciitis? Seems like my feet are rebelling from all the the running + squats

I had plantar fasciitis, you can heal it by increasing blood flow to it and rest it for a short period to prevent re-aggravation. PF is from an overstretched plantar ligament, you can stretch the calf and achilles to increase your circulation to the foot but you want to avoid stretching the plantar itself. I really began to recover once I found a blood flow stimulator and read what the site I got it from had to say, I put the link in below:

http://www.kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=52PV1

Pete Rock

When I am standing at my desk and eating dinner I roll my bare feet on one of these balls made of hard plastic, it has zero give and the smaller bumps in more areas really works well in this application. Technically the one I have is a "goosebumps" but that company no longer manufactures and sells them so this is the most ideal clone. It is surprising how many knots and tension points develop down around the balls of your feet and your heel that you otherwise don't feel until you dig in there with a tool.

Ditto. All my PRs are on a 16-18 hour fast.
I recall reading that you work out in the afternoon, does this imply that you do all your consumption between the end of your workout and going to sleep? I eat my first meal at 2pm and I can't imagine trying to jam everything in the last window from 8 to 10.

Irobot82

Fit-GAF,

You're in your squat rack, about to get under the bar for squats. You look straight ahead and see a poster you made of your five checks before squatting. What are they?

Fit-GAF,

You're in your squat rack, about to get under the bar for squats. You look straight ahead and see a poster you made of your five checks before squatting. What are they?
1) Why are you looking at this poster? Look down.
2) Chest up
3) Flex abs
4) Knees go out
5) Keep torso locked with hips

Pete Rock

Very interesting question, it's good practice to double-check your cues, here's my list:
  • Hands in lateral symmetrical orientation centered on the bar with the hash marks at whatever finger gives you that appropriate spacing, light grip with palms on top of bar. Chest against bar and feet in a good starting position.
  • Rotate elbows up near shoulders to keep palms on top without bending wrists, short squat and mild squeeze of the shoulders while moving torso forward to get up underneath the bar, forcing it into place without generating any pressure on your arms.
  • Squeeze shoulder blades together, force chest and elbows up while straightening legs to lift off rack position with the crown of the head lifting up, as opposed to forcing the chin down.
  • Back up with left foot first, right foot second, with as little movement range as possible to safely clear the rack pins while securing your feet in the appropriate position and orientation.
  • Break at knees, break at hips, maintain core alignment, wreck this set.
Also it gave me an excuse to use the actual list tags for the first time, so bonus points to you! The only omissions would be my pre-set mental warmups, which begins with 30 seconds of deep heavy breathing (timed with wristwatch) while making sure a hype tune is about to blow up during the set. I practice or reinforce foot spacing and knee tracking by doing a quick air-squat between this and step 1. I then take a really big "final" breath and hold it from step 3 to 5 all the way through the first few reps.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Fit-GAF,

1) Check my feet
2) Chest out
3) Head straight
4) Deep breath
5) Activate chimpanzee DNA

Irobot82

These are also great.

Pete your poster has a lot of words on it! lol

When you do your squat your bend your knees before you move your hips?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
checking online haven't seen one

Alright thanks. I've said it a bunch, but GNC is ridiculously overpriced, however their close dated stuff occasionally is worth a shot. They currently have a pre-workout marked down from 50 to 10 at mine (probably 25 on any other website/store), but if I'm gonna grab that ten, might as well grab a blender bottle for free or something with it when that coupon releases.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fit-GAF,

1. You lift like a twat
2. You fucking weakling
3. Go
4. GO
5. GO GODDAMMIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom