• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BlmNTAn.png

courtesy of me being bored at work

This needs to be at the top of the new page, it is mandatory. I still laugh when I see it.

Pete Rock

Pete your poster has a lot of words on it! lol
Yeah I suppose so haha, I just wanted to be comprehensive, I promise! A lot of those little pieces and the order in which they are performed add up to make the entire squat procedure one that I enjoy and look forward to instead of one that I dread. I wanted to be as complete as possible, given my current intermediate skill level and experience. I think the exercise of building the list was as much for my own sake as it was for sharing, which is another reason I found it to be beneficial and a really great question.

When you do your squat your bend your knees before you move your hips?
Yes, it has become more exaggerated to where the only range of motion that looks and feels like I'm "sitting back into it" would be near breaking parallel, but a lot of that is due to improved flexibility over time as well.

I do. I think that's the correct form. I hope it is....shit now I'm worried.
I love how we are open minded enough to even question ourselves, awesome!

Finally ordered a box of cookies n cream Quest bars. These better be good bras.
The hype is real

Cudder

Tried front squats last night, and I was choking myself with the bar when I got it in position. Only had two fingers on each hand wrapped under the bar, and I had my triceps parallel with the floor, that's how you do em right?

rage1973

Tried front squats last night, and I was choking myself with the bar when I got it in position. Only had two fingers on each hand wrapped under the bar, and I had my triceps parallel with the floor, that's how you do em right?

Yes the hardest part was trying to keep my back from bending when going to low bar squats to front squat. You might have the bar too high if it's touching your neck though. It should be racked up on your shoulder.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Feel free to laugh at me but I have a question regarding my new lifting shoes. Do you wear them out your house door or change when you get there? I'm clueless if pavement walking will diminish them or not.

Veezy

que?
Feel free to laugh at me but I have a question regarding my new lifting shoes. Do you wear them out your house door or change when you get there? I'm clueless if pavement walking will diminish them or not.

I put them on when I work out. If I'm leaving my house and going straight to the gym, then they go on before I leave the door. If I'm stopping anywhere else or doing any walking before hand, I wear my sneakers.

I'm sure there's not going to be any impact to the shoes, but I really hate walking in them from a comfort standpoint.

Irobot82

Yeah I suppose so haha, I just wanted to be comprehensive, I promise! A lot of those little pieces and the order in which they are performed add up to make the entire squat procedure one that I enjoy and look forward to instead of one that I dread. I wanted to be as complete as possible, given my current intermediate skill level and experience. I think the exercise of building the list was as much for my own sake as it was for sharing, which is another reason I found it to be beneficial and a really great question.

Yes, it has become more exaggerated to where the only range of motion that looks and feels like I'm "sitting back into it" would be near breaking parallel, but a lot of that is due to improved flexibility over time as well.

I was imagining in my head, reading your poster while getting ready to squat and it took too long.

I really need to tape my squat. I think I take breaking parallel to the extreme (either in my head or I really do squat super low), like that Candito kid when he had full hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZWgTrZLd8&list=TLDWkLKVemiYU0Ob1Abiu9JFivySRhNJLn

Like this. It's like taking a dump, or Frank Yang dildo style...take your pick.

Cooter

FitGaf why are pullups so hard? 3 sets I go from 14 > 9 > 6 big time depreciation!
Because lifting 150lbs up is a lot of weight. If they were easy we wouldn't feel so great cranking them out while the guy next to us is doing lat pull downs.

Shoes + sleeves + belt = fantastic squats!

rokkerkory

Because lifting 150lbs up is a lot of weight. If they were easy we wouldn't feel so great cranking them out while the guy next to us is doing lat pull downs.

Shoes + sleeves + belt = fantastic squats!

I guess ur rite... Lifting is harder as ur workin against gravity too

agrajag

Banned

I have the same problem, the only way I don't choke myself is with the cross arm style. I want to try it with straps, but my straps aren't strong enough.

despire

Guys, could you critique my version of the Lyle's Generic Bulking Program. Didn't like/can't do in my gym some of the stuff he has you do on lower body days so I took some stuff from the 5/3/1 template I had planned. Plan is to eventually go 4x week:

Bench 2-3 x 6-8
T-Bar Row 4 x 6-8 (or some other row)
Incline DB Bench 3 x 10-12
Pulldown 3 x 10-12
LTE 3 x 10-12
BB Drag Curl 2 x 12-15
+ some (Rear) Lateral Raises

Deadlift 1-2 x 6-8
Snatch Grip DL 4 x 6-8
Leg Press 3 x 10-12
GHR 3 x 10-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 12-15
DB Side Bend 2 x 15-20

OHP 2-3 x 6-8
Pull-up 4 x 6-8
Flat DB Bench 3 x 10-12
DB Row 3 x 10-12
CGBP 3 x 10-12
BB Drag Curl 2 x 12-15
+ some (Rear) Lateral Raises

Squat 2-3 x 6-8
Snatch Grip Romanian DL 4 x 6-8
Leg Press 3 x 10-12
GHR 3 x 10-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 12-15
DB Side Bend 2 x 15-20

agrajag

Banned
my new favorite before bed snack is Breakstone's Cottage Cheese doubles. 7 g casein protein, and it's so delicious. I think peach is my favorite.

So I did my HST workout to figure out my 15 rep maxes.

Well, kinda. I was coming off a sickness and barely made it halfway through. Squatting 15 reps of 325 didn't help and my grip almost gave out with 15 reps of RDLs with 275. Yeesh. Barely had enough energy to do my upper body maxes.

Still, I like the change of pace from the lower rep stuff I've been doing for awhile.

So I haven't been to the gym the past 3 days and I been eating a lot of random foods due to work and client lunches but I look in the mirror this morning and I swear I look leaner. Waist is down and weight is dropping and the other body parts are around the same as well. I can't complain. Human body is crazy.

abuC

Been dealing with a shitty chest cold and haven't been to the gym in a few days, I'd say 95% of my colds now are because of my nephews. Love them to death so I can manage, plus I got one of them to deadlift a 25lbs dumbbell when he was 2, he also used an ab wheel properly and could do pushups.

velociraptor

Been taking creatine for the first time in my life. It's been one week. I've been taking 5g post workout and 5g in mornings on off days. Why do I feel no different?

Cudder

Been taking creatine for the first time in my life. It's been one week. I've been taking 5g post workout and 5g in mornings on off days. Why do I feel no different?
You don't feel different on creatine. Also it's only been a week, so you wouldn't necessarily see the benefits if you start taking it one a day like you are. It takes a little while to saturate your muscles.

Go_Ly_Dow

Been dealing with a shitty chest cold and haven't been to the gym in a few days, I'd say 95% of my colds now are because of my nephews. Love them to death so I can manage, plus I got one of them to deadlift a 25lbs dumbbell when he was 2, he also used an ab wheel properly and could do pushups.

Haha wut!

Cooter

The battles I go through internally about keeping size and trimming fat have seemed to intensify lately. I swear, 3 perfect diet days and the cuts show up big time along with brief satisfaction. This is followed by a, but am I losing size? Yeah, I think I am. Ha. I'm fairly certain it's all in my head.

The battles I go through internally about keeping size and trimming fat have seemed to intensify lately. I swear, 3 perfect diet days and the cuts show up big time along with brief satisfaction. This is followed by a, but am I losing size? Yeah, I think I am. Ha. I'm fairly certain it's all in my head.
I went through this all the time when I got super lean. I either felt fat due to water bloat from a cheat, or thought I was losing mass because of how lean I was getting (things just didn't look "big").

Looking back at pictures while I was bulking I realized it was all in my head. I was a huge ripped dude and had no reason to second guess everything and beat myself up.

Trust me bud, you're a beast and you look great! Just keep at it!

So I haven't been to the gym the past 3 days and I been eating a lot of random foods due to work and client lunches but I look in the mirror this morning and I swear I look leaner. Waist is down and weight is dropping and the other body parts are around the same as well. I can't complain. Human body is crazy.

That no stress is probably helping a bit

Cooter

Thanks for the warm and fuzzies darth! :)

Cookies and cream is good but I made the mistake of buying 6 boxes and eating them everyday. Now I've soured on them. I really think for me the 2 PBs are my consistent favorites.

velociraptor

Brahs, don't ya know that you turn into the Incredible Hulk when you get on dat creatine cycle?
Lol

I thought the research has shown creatine to be an effective supplement to increase strength and endurance in the gym?

Will continue taking 5g a day and report back in a couple of weeks.

SeanR1221

I have mental struggles with food too. I'm eating only slightly more (100-200 more calories a day), and not even junk food, and I mentally feel fat.

Shadybiz

Lol

I thought the research has shown creatine to be an effective supplement to increase strength and endurance in the gym?

Oh yeah, it's just not a huge, noticeable change in energy levels, alertness, appearance etc. You'll just be able to squeeze out a few more reps during your workouts.

I just started a new cycle myself; been off for about 4 weeks.

Since I recently started boxing, but want to stay at my current weight, I've been eating, well, everything in sight on days that I go. We just had a department lunch...I had 3 helpings of turkey and veggies. Tired now. Bring on the jumprope!

agrajag

Banned
Lol

Yeah, but the effects are so dismal, you won't notice anything. It's not like taking some crazy pre-workout that will get you all wired.

Cudder

3x5 @ 165lbs on OHP today, pretty amazed because 165 was what I was having trouble with getting for 3x5 before I took a month off.

P44

So, today was my first day of lifting, and there's just a few things I'm wondering about.

Really enjoyed it first off, the buzz afterwards is great, but atm I'm kinda weak, and though I can lift the bar and do everything I tried with it (squats and rows), I would seriously struggle to do anymore than the bar probably. Any suggestions to getting a bit stronger so I can go beyond the bar, or is that just a time thing?

Also, my left and my right seem to be quite imbalanced in favour of my right (right handed obviously). During the squat in the last set, the left side of the bar was sort of going a bit everywhere. Is that another time thing?

Part of me hates lifting just the bar, feel like a bit of a moron but I guess I've got to start somewhere.

Cudder

So, today was my first day of lifting, and there's just a few things I'm wondering about.

Really enjoyed it first off, the buzz afterwards is great, but atm I'm kinda weak, and though I can lift the bar and do everything I tried with it (squats and rows), I would seriously struggle to do anymore than the bar probably. Any suggestions to getting a bit stronger so I can go beyond the bar, or is that just a time thing?

Also, my left and my right seem to be quite imbalanced in favour of my right (right handed obviously). During the squat in the last set, the left side of the bar was sort of going a bit everywhere. Is that another time thing?

Part of me hates lifting just the bar, feel like a bit of a moron but I guess I've got to start somewhere.

What kind of set and rep ranges are you doing? It's your first day, you will get stronger with time, don't fret.

I'm confused as to what you mean with the imbalanced squats though. Do you mean the bar is tipping and moving as you do them? I'd chalk that up to inexperience and again, being your first day. Kudos for actually using the free weight bar, though. It's just something that will get better the more you do it. I'm sure it's very natural to feel imbalanced when working with free weights at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom