• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

So I was t gonna put it out there. But I fucked my back up the other day. Did way too much way too heavy.
Lift and the weight in question? Hope you have a quick recovery, the fact that you're still getting in there and doing the work is a good indication that will be the case. Two summers ago I re-injured my lower spine when I was in a hurry to get my last set of deadlifts in at 280, even though I had actually loaded the bar with 305, being in such a hurry and all... instant regret. If you don't want to get into gruesome details or relive a bad experience that's fine, I'm just curious.

FitGaf how much do you guys spend on groceries every month?
$122 per week, $530 a month, $6365 per year. For the last three years almost. The scary thing is it actually saves me a lot of money not going out and racking up a $50 tab every other night on some average food and brew, all of which was relatively nutritionally devoid.

Here's 202.5-203lbs bf seems decent for my bulk Lol.
Yeah man looking good all things considered, it blows my mind you're only about 20 pounds heavier than me but you squat sooooo much heavier at such higher volume, squat god indeed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FitGaf how much do you guys spend on groceries every month?

Include everything such as water, milk, spices, etc but exclude supplements.

I spend around $500 / month.

$80 in supplements

$500 sounds right to me as well. I go once a week, just a bit over $100 just for myself every time.

The how much you weigh thread is real interesting. The amount of people who are my height but are trying to drop down to sub 200 is a bit mind boggling. Kinda shows perspective on how different a lot of our goals are compared to the everyday public.

SeanR1221

The how much you weigh thread is real interesting. The amount of people who are my height but are trying to drop down to sub 200 is a bit mind boggling. Kinda shows perspective on how different a lot of our goals are compared to the everyday public.

I felt the same way. A lot of skinny dudes on gaf.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yep, and while on some points I can understand where he's coming from different people have different shoulder structures. I won't stop OHPing any time soon.

Also, I refuse to sit and OHP. F that noise.

Lift and the weight in question? Hope you have a quick recovery, the fact that you're still getting in there and doing the work is a good indication that will be the case. Two summers ago I re-injured my lower spine when I was in a hurry to get my last set of deadlifts in at 280, even though I had actually loaded the bar with 305, being in such a hurry and all... instant regret. If you don't want to get into gruesome details or relive a bad experience that's fine, I'm just curious.

$122 per week, $530 a month, $6365 per year. For the last three years almost. The scary thing is it actually saves me a lot of money not going out and racking up a $50 tab every other night on some average food and brew, all of which was relatively nutritionally devoid.

Yeah man looking good all things considered, it blows my mind you're only about 20 pounds heavier than me but you squat sooooo much heavier at such higher volume, squat god indeed.

I made the mistake of getting over zealous with squats. I've been stronger than ever so just stayed heavy with everything. It wasn't a specific movement since I didn't feel anything wrong at all while training. I just over strained the muscles. Aside from my tight ass back my legs are STILL killing me almost a week later.

I should have stuck to the plan. Which after 90% for 10 singles is rep work, not strength work.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yep, and while on some points I can understand where he's coming from different people have different shoulder structures. I won't stop OHPing any time soon.

Also, I refuse to sit and OHP. F that noise.

It's weird my seated db press was weak when I was OHP 200+ for reps and now after injuries it's the complete opposite. Seated DB press doesn't give me any pain like OHP so I'm sticking with that for now, with the little pressing movements I do haha.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sitting and doing OHP always felt like cheating in some way. Not necessarily cheating, but my numbers jump way up and I know it can't be what I want.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just noticed why Sean asked if that was my question on elitefts. They shared it I FB and twitter.

It's weird my seated db press was weak when I was OHP 200+ for reps and now after injuries it's the complete opposite. Seated DB press doesn't give me any pain like OHP so I'm sticking with that for now, with the little pressing movements I do haha.

Shit man, do what you can, if I was in you're boat I'd do the same thing. I personally get zero pain from OHP. Even though my shoulder does bother me, it never does with that movement.

Sitting and doing OHP always felt like cheating in some way. Not necessarily cheating, but my numbers jump way up and I know it can't be what I want.

That's because it can and does turn into a modified incline bench, especially as you get heavier. Personally I love standing because everything has to be strong. If your back/abs aren't strong it ain't gonna stay up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just noticed why Sean asked if that was my question on elitefts. They shared it I FB and twitter.

Shit man, do what you can, if I was in you're boat I'd do the same thing. I personally get zero pain from OHP. Even though my shoulder does bother me, it never does with that movement.

That's because it can and does turn into a modified incline bench, especially as you get heavier. Personally I love standing because everything has to be strong. If your back/abs aren't strong it ain't gonna stay up.

This is going to sound stupid, but I have low ceilings where my bench is.... could I go from the knees?

Also my shoulder has been inflamed a little over the last few weeks, but I realized it was from doing flies, I think I may have been hypeextending or something, was causing some real fatigue in the rotator cuff.

I'm trying to add forearm exercises to my arm workout and need suggestions to what is effective: the exercise, sets, reps? I'm trying to gain strength and mass.

rokkerkory

What lifting hooks do you guys use? Mainly for shrugs, deadlifts, etc?

I find my fingers fail me before the targeted muscle esp for shrugs.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm trying to add forearm exercises to my arm workout and need suggestions to what is effective: the exercise, sets, reps? I'm trying to gain strength and mass.

I incorporated dumbbell hammer curls (3x8) into my workout a month or so ago and my forearms at least feel more muscular than they've ever been.

blackflag

So I was t gonna put it out there. But I fucked my back up the other day. Did way too much way too heavy. Anyway today I go in for bench and lay on the bench to setup and I can't even get my feet to touch the floor ( was literally so tight in my back only my toes would GRAZE the floor) It literally took every warmup set and well Into my 3rd work set of 90% singles x10 to have a normal arch. And I STILL had zero leg drive. This isn't even mentioning it took me 30 min just to get out of bed this morning the pain was so bad.

When I finished training I realized this might be what sets me apart from a lot of other people. And I'm willing to het a lot of us here with serious results are the same way.

We ain't right in the head.

Anyway, I went in, did it and got out. 355 for 10 singles, 225x 8, 7,6 reverse bench and some bicep work.

Yep I do the same thing. I know I am in pain, I know I legit messed something up and I won't stop. It's terrible and afterwards I'm like "i knew better" . Even when I do let it heal I come back to early.

I'm slowly learning.

nope. we never learn and we never will.

We know that these rapid changes in weight and physical appearance is due to our diet that we fell off for a week. Think that everything is the worst only to eat clean for the next few days and be right back where we started. Same with not going to the gym for a week. In our heads, we think loss of mass and strength when really, that isn't even the case at all. We say we learn and that it won't happen again, but it always will.

;_;

abuC

Well, fever is gone, cough is almost gone. My immune system finally starting to take control, been sick since Monday and have eaten about 5 meals total since then.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
nope. we never learn and we never will.

We know that these rapid changes in weight and physical appearance is due to our diet that we fell off for a week. Think that everything is the worst only to eat clean for the next few days and be right back where we started. Same with not going to the gym for a week. In our heads, we think loss of mass and strength when really, that isn't even the case at all. We say we learn and that it won't happen again, but it always will.

;_;

That about sums it up. I'm all jacked up right now but I will not be missing hi rep DLs today!

zsswimmer

I took a week off and just swam the entire week to let my body recover a bit after months of straight lifting. Did a chest workout yesterday and Im so sore..... and it hurts so good. I haven't felt DOMs in awhile haha. Also did legs today, working up to 225lb a2g squats for 10 reps and 2 sets, one legged leg press and then quad extensions. My legs are jello today.

rage1973

My body feels pretty beat up today after the workout.
Going real heavy on DL is really tough on my body now.
I think I am going to use next week as my deload week to let my body catch up a little.
After that hopefully I can keep going hard as I am about 6 weeks away from hitting my 500lb DL goal.

J. Bravo

Decided to day I don't like lifting purely for size...

dunno why. Just like strength better. Today was like the 5th time in the last two weeks I quit mid workout because high rep is boring.

Pathos

Banned
Decided to day I don't like lifting purely for size...

dunno why. Just like strength better. Today was like the 5th time in the last two weeks I quit mid workout because high rep is boring.
I work out mainly for strength and the aesthetics are a plus.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I recently narrowed my stance and am keeping my knees locked on my OHP and I don't know if it's that or the weight but it's killing my lower back. I am using my core and engaging ass through the lift. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

Cooter

I'm telling you Shogun, I"m in the minority in here, lol.
I'm almost there my man. My body feels like it's breaking down. Besides DLs and Squats every other exercise I've been hitting heavy hurts.

Side note, straps are great for hi rep DL work!

zsswimmer

I lift for aesthetics. I somewhat don't care about numbers. It's nice to have numbers and all but not really something that dictates my workouts.

I go through periods where I want to increase the big 4 lift numbers, and eventually get bored with it and go back to trying to add size and vice versa. Although I have to admit I gained a boatload of strength and size on a 5x5 program I was running last year. Might have to start back on that later in the summer or fall.

Cooter

I know you don't count 1RMs with straps Mr. Brolic but I'm close to attempting a 555 DL at 185 very soon. The degree to which they help my DL is staggering.

And when I'm 85 and talking with all my great grandchildren I will take full credit for getting a 3x bw DL.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Cudder

Starting to hate deadlifts. Did 3x5 315 today trying to get back into the swing of things, and anything over 315 and I feel like I'm going to puke when I wear my belt. Maybe it needs to be loosened? I ditched the belt today and it was fine.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Must have missed these while I was sick. Great chest genetics you've got there.

Huge? Well not quite but definitely good definition. You look like a higher bf% version of Bruce Lee to me.

Thanks, dude! :D

The Bruce Lee comparison makes me smile. Really, I'm just happy that I just don't appear emaciated like I used to, haha.

rage1973

I know you don't count 1RMs with straps Mr. Brolic but I'm close to attempting a 555 DL at 185 very soon. The degree to which they help my DL is staggering.

And when I'm 85 and talking with all my great grandchildren I will take full credit for getting a 3x bw DL.

Let's see who gets to 3x bw DL first.
I need to hit 500 lbs and plan to get there soon.

rokkerkory

FitGaf I think I have a problem... sigh

If I go out and eat, I am kinda scared to eat. When I get home I run and check in the mirror if I've gotten fat. :(

Cooter

If I go out and eat, I am kinda scared to eat. When I get home I run and check in the mirror if I've gotten fat. :(
Unless your income is derived from looking a certain way you need to stop this ASAP.

Cooter

I just barely got to 465 so getting to 500 is still several weeks away.
But 465 did feel pretty easy so I probably have 485 in me if I attempt it.
I'll attempt whatever 3x bw I'm at Tuesday assuming I'm feeling well.

I got 525 this past summer and it was very hard. Tried 550 a month later but wasn't close. With my straps and the change to going barefoot I think 560-570 may be doable. We shall see.

rokkerkory

Unless your income is derived from looking a certain way you need to stop this ASAP.

I know man, it's mental right now. I just feel fuck I work so hard just to where I am at (and yet so far from my goal) but I don't wanna mess up.

I should just go eat a tub of ice cream and stfu

agrajag

Banned

sounds like you've got some body image dysmorphia going on.. and dude, judging from your pics in this thread, you probably look better than 99% of GAF, so you need to realax and enjoy life a little. IMO ;)

Cooter

I know man, it's mental right now. I just feel fuck I work so hard just to where I am at (and yet so far from my goal) but I don't wanna mess up.

I should just go eat a tub of ice cream and stfu

So far from your goal?? Dude, your abs are popping out! How far can you really be? Are you going for 5 or 6% or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom