• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
good luck fella, are you sure you need a belt yet? I'm thinking about getting one once I start getting past the 300lb mark
Yes positive. I'm gonna squat 100 like a bat out of hell on Monday. Once I'm above 100 I know I'll need a strong belt for my hot power.

Had a guy at the gym tonight ask me how i workout my calves. I think he was a bit disheartened when i said i don't (other than sprint work). I wish i could have given him better advice but man i really don't know many calf exercises, he seemed to know them anyway. I'm glad i don't really have to worry about them, what a pain in the ass.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Had a guy at the gym tonight ask me how i workout my calves. I think he was a bit disheartened when i said i don't (other than sprint work). I wish i could have given him better advice but man i really don't know many calf exercises, he seemed to know them anyway. I'm glad i don't really have to worry about them, what a pain in the ass.

I'm convinced it's just genetic. I'm sure I could spend the next four years doing weighted calf raises every day, eating like a pig and maybe I'd get an extra inch or so around, but for all the various types of legwork I've done over the years, none of it's made a difference. There was a girl I used to work with who had monster calves, and the only exercise she did was yoga. I don't even bother working calves anymore, it's so discouraging spending months on them and seeing zero results. Can't help but be self-conscious when wearing shorts though.

So, I've lost 8lbs since Monday, and I'm certain it's not water weight since I've been drinking more than a gallon of fluids a day. Turns out I have bronchitis, awesome.

I'm in a similar boat (except over a longer period of time). I still have this recurring cough too.

How do you guys warm up for squats? It seems that no matter what I do beforehand my warm up squats are a pain on my hips. It feels even worse with really low weight. Only thing that works right now for me is to jump straight to 135 warm up squats and then afterwards all my squats eventualky become pain free. It would be nice though to not have to deal with the hip pain that comes from my warm up squats thoug

RoeBear

How do you guys warm up for squats? It seems that no matter what I do beforehand my warm up squats are a pain on my hips. It feels even worse with really low weight. Only thing that works right now for me is to jump straight to 135 warm up squats and then afterwards all my squats eventually become pain free. It would be nice though to not have to deal with the hip pain that comes from my warm up squats though

Everyone I've ever talked to sorta has the same issue. Lighter weight squats starting out hurts something. For me and my friend it's out knees at anything lower than 200, but once it's over that it's all fine. I do walking and extensions before squat but it still happens. Just gotta push through it.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
How do you guys warm up for squats? It seems that no matter what I do beforehand my warm up squats are a pain on my hips. It feels even worse with really low weight. Only thing that works right now for me is to jump straight to 135 warm up squats and then afterwards all my squats eventualky become pain free. It would be nice though to not have to deal with the hip pain that comes from my warm up squats thoug

I give them a very brief stretch without the bar, with the bar and start off with a quick set of 135, so like you but I shake my butt around and stuff a bit

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For squats I always warm up with lighter weight, adding around 40 lb. each set until I'm at my work sets.

I'm at 200 lbs. x 5 for my work sets at the moment, so I warm up like this:

Bar x 10 x 1
85 x 6 x 1
125 x 5 x 1
165 x 4 x 1
200 x 5 x 3

zsswimmer

I warm up with the bar, add 25, then swap to 35, then to 45 and after that the working sets start. I know what you mean about warm up sets being feeling worse with lower weight. I have the same issue, I think it's just leg and hip tightness and I try to do some dynamic stretching in between warm up sets.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but...

How does Fit-GAF feel about dried fruit?

dried-pineapple-538-538x286.jpg

Lately I've been going to this as a health snack to satisfy my sweet cravings, but I've put on some (bad) weight recently and I feel as if this may be the culprit. I used to eat fresh fruit, but it's not readily available to me like it used to be.

Visceir

Nothing about dried fruit seems all too appealing or healthy to me. I'd probably even avoid fresh fruit in larger amounts, it's all just mostly sugars, isn't it? Tried looking up the nutritional value of dried fruits and first thing I found was this "According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the caloric content of fruit that has been dehydrated is approximately twice that of the fresh version. "

Always see/hear bodybuilders eating rice cakes, bought some today to see what all the rage is about.

Fish and rice cakes

Chocobro

You can pick and choose, based on your needs, from what I do for any lower body workout (which is every workout lol):
1) Foam roll IT band
2) Foam roll adductors
3) SMR Glutes with lacrosse ball
*4) Fire hydrant circles
*5) Rocking frog stretch
*6) Banded sideways squat
7) Banded Sideways Piriformis Stretch
8) Some hamstring stretch
*9) (Banded) hip flexor stretch
10) Leg swings
11) Barbell ankle mobility stretch
12) Overhead squat with OHP grip; it's something that helps me gauge my squat form and if my squats are going to be bad or not during my sets. If I can't OHS well, I'll do a bit more mobility stuff. There was a day I couldn't OHS when I normally could, so I just brushed it off; my squats ended up feeling terrible form-wise.
Then I go into my warm-up squats using the SS warm-up calculator.

The ones with the asterisks are ones I would suggest you to look into, since it sounds like you have tight hips. If you are strapped for time, do this stretch with a resistance band and see how that goes for you.

Clean week and reboot started today. Solid day of chest.

I don't care how old it gets, people at the gym calling me "big guy" will always make me smile.

I prefer frozen fruit over dried fruit. Frozen cherries taste exactly like a cherry popcicle, and you can suck on them for a while, curbing your need to eat a bunch of them. They also can be processed into a slushie. So fucking good.

My go to fresh fruits are apples, oranges, and bananas. Colorful and yummy.

_Isaac

Dude! I have the exact same problem. I had to make sure I wasn't accidentally reading one of my own posts. I've tried all kinds of stretches, foam rolling, and posting form checks here, and nothing seems to really make it go away. It comes and goes for me. I'll have to check out some of chocobro's suggestions above. Some of those seem new to me.

grumble

I'm convinced it's just genetic. I'm sure I could spend the next four years doing weighted calf raises every day, eating like a pig and maybe I'd get an extra inch or so around, but for all the various types of legwork I've done over the years, none of it's made a difference. There was a girl I used to work with who had monster calves, and the only exercise she did was yoga. I don't even bother working calves anymore, it's so discouraging spending months on them and seeing zero results. Can't help but be self-conscious when wearing shorts though.

I've been around a lot of hikers and the hardcore ones usually have pretty big calves. I'm convinced that calf muscles respond better to that than low volume gym stuff.

What I have heard is that calf exercises are really form dependent. If someone does them really well then their results are way better than otherwise. Apparently there's an issue around elastic action in the Achilles, so calf raises have to be paused at the bottom, and a lot of people don't go high enough or low enough on the reps. I've also heard that the soleus is more slow twitch so benefits from higher reps while the gastrocnemius is a little faster and does well with fives, but I'm a little skeptical of that one.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just bought quest bars yesterday on amazon shit. That coupon says something about it has to show the store address though.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
It's been a few days since the sprain, I think I'll be back lifting by friday!!!!!

So happy, rejoining the old powerlifting gym, fuck this cheap chain full of pansie jersey shore bellends

ILoveBish

I've realized that my strength is more of the explosive type. I start off very strong on a set and it gets really heavy really quick for me. I guess that's why 531 works so well for me. 5's week kills me, but the rest of it goes fantastic.

I remember shogun mentioning earlier that he doesn't believe in a deload week, so this is the first time I've skipped it and gone strait to another full set. So far today, all went well. I got most of my ohp done clean.

I just bought quest bars yesterday on amazon shit. That coupon says something about it has to show the store address though.

I've had coupons that will have the address of a specific GNC close to me stated on the coupon and then ended up using the coupon at other GNC's without a problem. It will depend on the cashier though

After having read that standing overhead press could potentially be very risky and damage your lower back, I'm considering to change it to sitting instead.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
After having read that standing overhead press could potentially be very risky and damage your lower back, I'm considering to change it to sitting instead.

Yeah, no one responded to my last post about that a couple days or so ago but I mentioned that my lower back was killing me during and after my standing barbell OHP. Sucks cuz it's maybe my favorite lift.

I've realized that my strength is more of the explosive type. I start off very strong on a set and it gets really heavy really quick for me. I guess that's why 531 works so well for me. 5's week kills me, but the rest of it goes fantastic.
This is me. If I can get the 5's week there's no way in hell I'm failing the other weeks.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't think my legs have ever been this sore before, or in this way. I did 5 sets of 205x6 squats on Saturday.
I'm not complaining!

Also, there was this bro there who had his shorts hiked up quite high while he was on the leg press then he kept posing in front of the mirror. Was kind of awkward when I was walking back to the squat rack and he was just mirin' himself. Then he kept lifting his shirt up to reveal his abs in front of the mirror. Pretty sure he took some pics of himself in front of the mirror. To make it even worse... he was an employee of the gym.

SeanR1221

Every April my wife and I go to the Philly Zoo. We always get our picture taken by the hot air balloon. Sometimes I think I'm too hard on myself. Seeing how I've changed over 5 years really makes me proud. I've been trying to keep a more positive attitude lately.

Szu

Every April my wife and I go to the Philly Zoo. We always get our picture taken by the hot air balloon. Sometimes I think I'm too hard on myself. Seeing how I've changed over 5 years really makes me proud. I've been trying to keep a more positive attitude lately.

Those are great pics of you too. And great progress over the years.

despire

I'm doing starting strength and was wondering if you guys recommend to do some HIT cardio after my weight training or in the day that i dont work out?

Preferably not at all. You need to recover from the lifting. If you absolutely need to do HIIT, do it after lifting. Keep the rest days as rest days.

My new place has a pull up bar in the basement. This is going to either be the greatest thing ever (more pullups all the time!) or a huge detriment to my other lifts.

Although doing chinups does seem to bother my one wrist a bit. Thinking about it more, whenever I do chinups at the gym, my grip is slightly tilted towards neutral, rather than my wrists being fully pronated.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I remember shogun mentioning earlier that he doesn't believe in a deload week, so this is the first time I've skipped it and gone strait to another full set. So far today, all went well. I got most of my ohp done clean.

Thsts not explosive, thsts lack of work capacity. Explosive means you're quick. You can work speed using dynamic sets of bands and chains or simply with lower weight work. It just means you can activate muscles hard and fast to get the bar speed moving quickly to maximize force.

What you're talking about is indicative of lower than optimal work capacity for your training. You need to work on improving that and probably need to remove some things from your program until you improve this.

Also I don't entirely disagree with deload weeks, however, it depends on your program and how long you've been training.

I haven't deloaded in about a year.

Edit: seeing you second post it might not be so much work capacity as you're reaching a point in your program where you might begin to stall.

Either way, it's not "explosive strength" you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom