• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathos

Banned
I think my squat/deadlift form has degraded, so I decide to deload 225 to 185 for squats and 335(+/-) to 225 for deadlifts. It sucks but oh well :(

rokkerkory

sounds like you've got some body image dysmorphia going on.. and dude, judging from your pics in this thread, you probably look better than 99% of GAF, so you need to realax and enjoy life a little. IMO ;)

So far from your goal?? Dude, your abs are popping out! How far can you really be? Are you going for 5 or 6% or something?

Yeah it's all me, I need to chillax the eff out.

My goal is actually to be 8% but at 160lbs (+ 10 more lbs). That's what I meant from being far away. Prob another year or so.

ILoveBish

So i just wanted to share how much i enjoy 5/3/1, when i started doing it about 7 or so months ago, here were my main lifts:

OHP: 150x1
Deadlift: 325x1
Bench Press: 205x1
Squat: 325x1

After 6 strait sessions of 5/3/1, here are my results that i've completed:

OHP: 180x1
Deadlift: 415x1
Bench Press: 235x1
Squat: 360x1

Its been one heck of a program for myself, and keep in mind im at a 20+% deficit every day calorie wise. I honestly attribute this to Ketosis. I've been working out now for a little over 25 months, and on low carb ive become stronger and have more energy then i ever did while lifting.

I go to the gym with 2 different principles, to do powerlifting style for compounds (5/3/1) and body building style for all accessories (vanity training). I train 90% for looks, 10% for strength, The strength training is what hypes me up at the gym and gets me so psyched once i hit new pr's, the vanity training is what the end result is all about for me, i want to both look strong and be strong. whynotboth.gif applies for what im going after.

Just thought i'd share for those who have been told that 5/3/1 isnt good for gains, it is not for everyone, but it has surely worked out for me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah it's all me, I need to chillax the eff out.

My goal is actually to be 8% but at 160lbs (+ 10 more lbs). That's what I meant from being far away. Prob another year or so.

You'll get there brother. Patience. As soon as you're done mirin your abs its time to start collecting muscle! You know shredding the fat is relatively easy for you so once you get the muscle it will only be a matter of a month or two.

That's straight up impressive bish. Way to work your ass off!

I was bored tonight so I started going through years of progress pictures. I believe I was about 160 here and it's my rock bottom. It was taken 4 years ago. Ha. Skinny!

8-14-103-1.jpg

8-14-102.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm telling you Shogun, I"m in the minority in here, lol.

Nah, there's just more to talk about with strength training. You can only post so many pics, but with strength training increasing numbers and lifts are more common and able to be discussed. There's a lot more dudes/females here going for looks than pure strength.

It's just easier to talk about strength.

That's because you're Beast.

I don't know about all that, but thanks bud.

This is going to sound stupid, but I have low ceilings where my bench is.... could I go from the knees?

Also my shoulder has been inflamed a little over the last few weeks, but I realized it was from doing flies, I think I may have been hypeextending or something, was causing some real fatigue in the rotator cuff.
I wouldn't.

I know you don't count 1RMs with straps Mr. Brolic but I'm close to attempting a 555 DL at 185 very soon. The degree to which they help my DL is staggering.

And when I'm 85 and talking with all my great grandchildren I will take full credit for getting a 3x bw DL.

Just because I wouldn't count them doesn't mean you can't. Don't let my stipulations hold you back bud.

Cooter

Just because I wouldn't count them doesn't mean you can't. Don't let my stipulations hold you back bud.

Just giving you a hard time. It's a little disconcerting that my grip strength appears to be such a limiting factor but such is the hand I was dealt. I'll work on it and see how far I can push it but in the meantime, straps for heavier sets and chalk until my fingers give out.

despire

Guys, could you critique my version of the Lyle's Generic Bulking Program. Didn't like/can't do in my gym some of the stuff he has you do on lower body days so I took some stuff from the 5/3/1 template I had planned. Plan is to eventually go 4x week:

Bench 2-3 x 6-8
T-Bar Row 4 x 6-8 (or some other row)
Incline DB Bench 3 x 10-12
Pulldown 3 x 10-12
LTE 3 x 10-12
BB Drag Curl 2 x 12-15
+ some (Rear) Lateral Raises

Deadlift 1-2 x 6-8
Snatch Grip DL 4 x 6-8
Leg Press 3 x 10-12
GHR 3 x 10-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 12-15
DB Side Bend 2 x 15-20

OHP 2-3 x 6-8
Pull-up 4 x 6-8
Flat DB Bench 3 x 10-12
DB Row 3 x 10-12
CGBP 3 x 10-12
BB Drag Curl 2 x 12-15
+ some (Rear) Lateral Raises

Squat 2-3 x 6-8
Snatch Grip Romanian DL 4 x 6-8
Leg Press 3 x 10-12
GHR 3 x 10-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 12-15
DB Side Bend 2 x 15-20

Anyone? Guys? Halp..

I've done now both the bench day and the deadlift day. Liked them both.

P44

Yeah I meant to follow up on the gym thing, but this soreness is killing me, I can barely move. Really irritated with myself. :-/

Definitely going tommorow morning though. Just wondering, does time between lifts matter if I lift 3x a week according to my program regardless?

Also I'm back at my parents for a week and there's a set of dumbbells but I'll struggle to get to a gym. No bench, so is there a dumbbell exercise I could use to replace the bench press, that would work ok ish. Cheers.

P44

Also, I can't really ohp the bar which is kind of embarrassing so I'm guessing dumbell ohp for a while until strength is up?

Been sick for the past month. I've lost a solid 7 pounds from it too. I've missed maaybe 5 workouts in the past month from feeling crappy. Finally feeling better and made it back into the gym. I've lost so much strength.

I may have to retool my routine from 5-3-1 to regain some of the strength I lost. I'm gonna give it another week of eating, sleeping and feeling well before I make any changes though.

I just ate some whey protein powder.............lol this shit tastes pretty good.

How long before the acne breaks out?

One serving of protein powder and my entire body turned into a giant zit within 24 hours. I look like Krang from TMNT now.

Protein powder (and creatine): NOT EVEN ONCE.

sruckus

Finished my first full week of the Practical Programming routine and just doing the gym M-W-F and running/cardio the other days (and rest on Sunday). I'm pretty pumped! It's the most I've ever been in a gym and it really helps that I just go next door from work instead of having a drive home and being in my apt, which would always make me lazy.

I generally do well with the diet, but went to the buffet with coworkers too many times this week. I am going to take the hard line of once per week if at all. I don't really eat ALL that much and it's "healthy" food like Salmon, big salad with greens, and stuff when I go, but still.

Here's hoping I can actually get a decent looking body soon. I'm 5 10, 154 (now), but for some reason my genes make excess weight go to my stomach and chin. I feel and look fatter than my stats seem to think. And I was noticing yesterday how I look like I have a double chin and a friend who is a lot bigger than me has a perfect chin :/

Anyway, here's my newb stats from Friday:

Squat: 95, Bench: 80, Pull ups assisted @ 27 (I'm a weakling). I'm throwing in some crunches afterward that I will increase in reps weekly as well. The deadlift I do once a week is my favorite, because I really feel it everywhere.

Szu

Finished my first full week of the Practical Programming routine and just doing the gym M-W-F and running/cardio the other days (and rest on Sunday). I'm pretty pumped! It's the most I've ever been in a gym and it really helps that I just go next door from work instead of having a drive home and being in my apt, which would always make me lazy.

I generally do well with the diet, but went to the buffet with coworkers too many times this week. I am going to take the hard line of once per week if at all. I don't really eat ALL that much and it's "healthy" food like Salmon, big salad with greens, and stuff when I go, but still.

Here's hoping I can actually get a decent looking body soon. I'm 5 10, 154 (now), but for some reason my genes make excess weight go to my stomach and chin. I feel and look fatter than my stats seem to think. And I was noticing yesterday how I look like I have a double chin and a friend who is a lot bigger than me has a perfect chin :/

Anyway, here's my newb stats from Friday:

Squat: 95, Bench: 80, Pull ups assisted @ 27 (I'm a weakling). I'm throwing in some crunches afterward that I will increase in reps weekly as well. The deadlift I do once a week is my favorite, because I really feel it everywhere.

Sounds good to me, keep at it. I agree with your point about the advantage of having the gym being so close to work. I get lazy whenever I get home too. Somehow, I always find useless shit to do.

Could anyone link me to a video/article that shows how to do the BB bent-over-row? Up until now I have only done a DB row but I think it's time to really do some rows and pull some fucking weight. I searched youtube for a Mark Rippetoe bent-over-row video and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg but I'm not sure if thats Rippetoe or not.

Any help at all would be appreciated Fitbros!

My current lifting stats on the Cooter program: (these numbers are for the final set of each of the big lifts, and are for 4 reps)

Bench: 275
OHP: 165
Squat: 335
Deadlift: 435

Current weight: 170, at 5'6ish

I fucking love this lifting routine.

Also FitGAF is awesome, I love reading and getting inspired from other peoples' progress and physiques (Imm0rt4l you are god-damned beast).

despire

Could anyone link me to a video/article that shows how to do the BB bent-over-row? Up until now I have only done a DB row but I think it's time to really do some rows and pull some fucking weight. I searched youtube for a Mark Rippetoe bent-over-row video and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg but I'm not sure if thats Rippetoe or not.

My current lifting stats on the Cooter program: (these numbers are for the final set of each of the big lifts, and are for 4 reps)

Also FitGAF is awesome, I love reading and getting inspired from other peoples' progress and physiques (Imm0rt4l you are god-damned beast).

That's Glen Pendlay. A very famous coach as well.

They are demonstrating one way of doing a bent-over row. "Pendlay row" is basically a very strict barbell row. Most people row without letting the bar rest on the floor between reps though. I'm not sure if one way is better than the other.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
That's Glen Pendlay. A very famous coach as well.

They are demonstrating one way of doing a bent-over row. "Pendlay row" is basically a very strict barbell row. Most people row without letting the bar rest on the floor between reps though. I'm not sure if one way is better than the other.

Past a certain weight (185ish) I can't do them without letting it rest on the floor for a second.

Cooter

Could anyone link me to a video/article that shows how to do the BB bent-over-row? Up until now I have only done a DB row but I think it's time to really do some rows and pull some fucking weight. I searched youtube for a Mark Rippetoe bent-over-row video and came across this but I'm not sure if thats Rippetoe or not.

435x4 DL at 170?!?! Wow. Very nice.

I'm glad you're enjoying the routine. Regarding bent over BB rows, there are many ways to perform them. I prefer having my back just about parallel with the floor and using an overhand grip. Some angle their back more upright. Some use a palms up grip. I don't know any good videos but I can snap a video for you if you'd like?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Back issue and crippling pain can get fucked.

530lbs for 10 singles on deadlift.

Now into the dungeon on a beautiful day. SMH. Enjoy the day everyone.

Cooter

Back issue and crippling pain can get fucked.

530lbs for 10 singles on deadlift.

Now into the dungeon on a beautiful day. SMH. Enjoy the day everyone.
I hear ya brother. Just wrapped up weighted pull ups and other various heavy back exercises with a aching elbow and tweaked shoulder. No excuses. We push on!

abuC

So, I've lost 8lbs since Monday, and I'm certain it's not water weight since I've been drinking more than a gallon of fluids a day. Turns out I have bronchitis, awesome.

Cooter

So, I've lost 8lbs since Monday, and I'm certain it's not water weight since I've been drinking more than a gallon of fluids a day. Turns out I have bronchitis, awesome.
Sorry to hear man. Weight loss due to illness blows. Shouldn't take you more than a week or two to get it back. Rest up.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
1-repped 200lbs on the bench today for the first time ever. am i a man now

theytookourjobz

1-repped 200lbs on the bench today for the first time ever. am i a man now

Fuck yeah. It's a great feeling. Two plates next.

So it turns out my fuckarounditis has finally yielded results. Financial situation means I can't workout at the cf gym I had been at for awhile so I just had to join a cheap globogym. Sucks that I can't snatch or clean and jerk but I'm gonna try to push my squat. Read some shit John Broz wrote about squatting every day and I've been back squatting 6 days a week. Usually I'll go to max and then back off to about 85-90% of that for 3 doubles. Hit a lifetime PR of 315 ass to grass today. Felt great. My entire gym life is dedicated to 400 by the end of the year.

agrajag

Banned
Shit. I got over that pretty quick. 3 days a week is almost too much anymore.

Yeah, but man, moving the kind of weight that you do is not even comprehensible for me. I can imagine what you must feel like though, it must take such a toll on your body, so you need all the recovery time you can get.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Where do I measure to get the correct fit on the Elitefts p2 belt? At the belly button? I know some people here have it.

Also somehow I gained like 25 lbs(mostly fat) in like 2 months despite no significant change to diet. I hope I'm not dying.

SeanR1221

Where do I measure to get the correct fit on the Elitefts p2 belt? At the belly button? I know some people here have it.

Also somehow I gained like 25 lbs(mostly fat) in like 2 months despite no significant change to diet. I hope I'm not dying.

Yup that's where I measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom