• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxious

So guys, ever since I've had surgery 3 years ago and still recovering of that, I've gained almost 30kg's. ( Weigh 105kg's right now ). Because I'm not allowed to do any kind of heavy physical activities I had no idea what to do. Now I decided to walk for almost 4 km every night, and I try to do 20 wall push-ups + 20 sit-ups every morning.

I've noticed that the wall push-ups are going all right, so I might add another set of 20.

Would these things actually help me reduce some of this gained weight? I mean, I'm not looking to gain a six pack or whatever, I'd just love to at least get closer to my original weight of about 75 - 80kg's from back before I had surgery.

I'm also in no position to buy any kind of equipment, so this is the reason I'm only doing the things mentioned above. Also, would it be fine to walk those 4 km every day? Cause I know that with jogging it's advised to have a resting day in between your runs.

velociraptor

After having read that standing overhead press could potentially be very risky and damage your lower back, I'm considering to change it to sitting instead.
Where did you read this?

I'm actually puzzled as to what variation is safer for your back. Googling appears to give me conflicting results.

Cudder

After having read that standing overhead press could potentially be very risky and damage your lower back, I'm considering to change it to sitting instead.

It could be you yourself leaning too far backwards during the lift. If you keep your body straight and just lift with your arms there's no reason why your back should be hurting.

So guys, ever since I've had surgery 3 years ago and still recovering of that, I've gained almost 30kg's. ( Weigh 105kg's right now ). Because I'm not allowed to do any kind of heavy physical activities I had no idea what to do. Now I decided to walk for almost 4 km every night, and I try to do 20 wall push-ups + 20 sit-ups every morning.

I've noticed that the wall push-ups are going all right, so I might add another set of 20.

Would these things actually help me reduce some of this gained weight? I mean, I'm not looking to gain a six pack or whatever, I'd just love to at least get closer to my original weight of about 75 - 80kg's from back before I had surgery.

I'm also in no position to buy any kind of equipment, so this is the reason I'm only doing the things mentioned above. Also, would it be fine to walk those 4 km every day? Cause I know that with jogging it's advised to have a resting day in between your runs.

Sit-ups and push-ups will do almost nothing for losing body fat. Sit-ups in general are kind of a bad exercise in terms of seeing real benefit. Push-ups will help you build strength though and are worth doing.

Walking is a great way to burn fat. I would up the distance or pace gradually. No need to take a rest day if you're walking for only a few km. If you're talking 35+ km then yeah, you may need a rest day in between or at least need to work up to that distance very gradually.

So, I am really curious, why can you not lift anything? Maybe that's a personal question, but it is important for us to know what restrictions you have and why before we can give you any great advice.

Raxious

Sit-ups and push-ups will do almost nothing for losing body fat. Sit-ups in general are kind of a bad exercise in terms of seeing real benefit. Push-ups will help you build strength though and are worth doing.

Walking is a great way to burn fat. I would up the distance or pace gradually. No need to take a rest day if you're walking for only a few km. If you're talking 35+ km then yeah, you may need a rest day in between or at least need to work up to that distance very gradually.

So, I am really curious, why can you not lift anything? Maybe that's a personal question, but it is important for us to know what restrictions you have and why before we can give you any great advice.

Because the wound just closed since last week, and performing any form of lifting / bending might result in the wound tearing open again, considering the skin is still very weak, and it's happend more then once even though I didn't do anything at all.

As to what it was, it was a pilonidal cyst. ( google at your own risk! ), and the doctor's expected the recovery time be no longer then 3 months, yet it took almost 4,5 months before I was capable of walking without crutches. I had an extreme case where they were unable to close the wound, so I ended up with an open wound of 7cm long and the depth was around 5 cm.

And the fact I ended up with blood poisoning after a 'normal' surgery last year means my body has taken quite a flew blows these past 3 years ^^'

Raxious

Yeah, you don't want to be squatting after pilonidal cyst. Walk for a few weeks until the wound heals, then start lifting.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

So, I've noticed that if I walk for a bit I'm feeling my ankles, I'm guessing this isn't a problem? Whenever I rest when I'm home the feeling disappears. I know these might be foolish questions, but remember this is coming from a guy with with the stamina of a 90 year old xD And the last time I did anything related to sports is many years ago.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
After 4 days of heavy eating I'm back hovering around 190 and definitely plumped out. Fuck being sick and the mind games it plays with you.

rokkerkory

After 4 days of heavy eating I'm back hovering around 190 and definitely plumped out. Fuck being sick and the mind games it plays with you.

glad you're back in action... being sick is the worse thing, you feel so weak and small.

today is shoulders round 1 for week... loves me sum delteriods. i've got a coworker joining as well, he wants to work out together. glad i can help him out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn nice! I gotta hop on that ironsport method someday. I know you don't follow it exactly, but besides the week of 10x1, what else do you do on the other weeks??

The main movements I follow exactly. The sets/reps for the assistance and accessory movements are what I do on my own.

Week 1, 1 rep max then back off to 80% for 3 sets of 5

Week 2 work up to a 3 rep max with bands or chains remove them and amrap for 3 sets or work up to 3 rep max then back off to 85% amrap.

Week 3 90% of 1 rep max for 10 singles.

Week 4 5 rep max then back off 80% amrap for 3 sets or more band/chain work.

ILoveBish

Thsts not explosive, thsts lack of work capacity. Explosive means you're quick. You can work speed using dynamic sets of bands and chains or simply with lower weight work. It just means you can activate muscles hard and fast to get the bar speed moving quickly to maximize force.

What you're talking about is indicative of lower than optimal work capacity for your training. You need to work on improving that and probably need to remove some things from your program until you improve this.

Also I don't entirely disagree with deload weeks, however, it depends on your program and how long you've been training.

I haven't deloaded in about a year.

Edit: seeing you second post it might not be so much work capacity as you're reaching a point in your program where you might begin to stall.

Either way, it's not "explosive strength" you're talking about.

I totally agree, I chose the wrong word to describe it. I might be close to a stall, i'm still lifting heavier and heavier with a big calorie deficit. It's bound to happen sooner or later I would think.

SeanR1221

The main movements I follow exactly. The sets/reps for the assistance and accessory movements are what I do on my own.

Week 1, 1 rep max then back off to 80% for 3 sets of 5

Week 2 work up to a 3 rep max with bands or chains remove them and amrap for 3 sets or work up to 3 rep max then back off to 85% amrap.

Week 3 90% of 1 rep max for 10 singles.

Week 4 5 rep max then back off 80% amrap for 3 sets or more band/chain work.

Sounds intense. I'll read the e book this summer.

Noticed stretch marks in my armpits. I guess this is good news, because it indicates Im experiencing muscle growth within my shoulder/region?

Still cutting btw. Will give you guys a 'before & after' by the end of the month so that you can evaluate whether I should keep cutting or if I can justify kickstarting a preliminary bulk phase. :p

Where did you read this?

I'm actually puzzled as to what variation is safer for your back. Googling appears to give me conflicting results.

It was within a response Brolic recieved from some fitness guru regarding his concern as to why he discourages overhead press (overloading joints etc. etc.)

Im currently lacking a link to it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Do they really help that much? I may have to invest in them.

They do for me. I use the rehband ones for that too.

Noticed stretch marks in my armpits. I guess this is good news, because it indicates Im experiencing muscle growth within my shoulder/region?

Still cutting btw. Will give you guys a 'before & after' by the end of the month so that you can evaluate whether I should keep cutting or if I can justify kickstarting a preliminary bulk phase. :p

It was within a response Brolic recieved from some fitness guru regarding his concern as to why he discourages overhead press (overloading joints etc. etc.)

Im currently lacking a link to it.

He's not a "fitness guru". He's an accomplished powerlifter with a shit load of records. Possibly one of the best powerlifters there is. His name is Brian schwab.

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=206615&tid=

Link.

rage1973

I don't know. Tendinitis is my guess. I'm going to back off and see if it gets better. Sure is frustrating. My guess is OHP is a no go also.

My elbow flares up bench pressing but I never had issues with OHP.
Could be the lower weight or maybe my form in my bench press sucks.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've never done an OHP, I find it too intimidating! :(

I did hit a new personal best on the bench press tonight though - 125lbs! :D

y2dvd

Maybe yall would know. Is there any benefits drinking almond milk over regular milk?

In another subject, about a month ago, I couldn't even do one full pullup. I finally just said "fuck it" and went for it. A month later, I can at least do 5 nonstop. It doesn't seem like much, but it sure is a lot for me lol. Slowly progressing here.

J. Bravo

I don't think my legs have ever been this sore before, or in this way. I did 5 sets of 205x6 squats on Saturday.
I'm not complaining!

Also, there was this bro there who had his shorts hiked up quite high while he was on the leg press then he kept posing in front of the mirror. Was kind of awkward when I was walking back to the squat rack and he was just mirin' himself. Then he kept lifting his shirt up to reveal his abs in front of the mirror. Pretty sure he took some pics of himself in front of the mirror. To make it even worse... he was an employee of the gym.
bit late on this but you might go to my gym lol. My friend and I do that a lot. At least at night.

Cudder

1x4 270lbs
1x3 270lbs
1x2 270lbs on bench

still working my way up to where i was pre-break lol. then I did a single rep at 275lbs because putting up 2 plates and a 25 plate was a first for me.

despire

The reason you got fat is that you probably continued eating like before while you stopped all physical activity after the surgery. Getting your diet in check is the key here if you wanna lose weight. You would need to go on a deficit anyway even if you could lift. Walking is good but won't help too much if your diet is all over the place. 30 kilos is a lot but it shouldn't be too hard after you get better and can be active again.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh yeah! Pumped out squats awesome with hot power!

100lbx5repsx3 squats
235lbx5repsx3 bench press

thighs feel powerful and full of energy. pectorals feeling nice.

ILoveBish

Felt extra strong today, 5's week, 7th time strait, hit 380x5 on deadlift nice and clean. Deadlift is easily my fav lift, damn you feel like a beast.

Is there seriously any way to do strength training at home without spending a ton of money? Can anyone offer guidance or a useful resource?

My expectations are very low lol

theytookourjobz

Is there seriously any way to do strength training at home without spending a ton of money? Can anyone offer guidance or a useful resource?

My expectations are very low lol

If you have a little bit of space in your garage, I'm sure you can find a super cheap bar and plates on Craigslist. I found a squat rack, a bar, and some plates for around $100.

Oh yeah! Pumped out squats awesome with hot power!

100lbx5repsx3 squats
235lbx5repsx3 bench press

thighs feel powerful and full of energy. pectorals feeling nice.

I'm about your same numbers, but just 200lbs on bench. Dat upper/lower body imbalance!

But for the last few days has been the first time I actually enjoyed squats and working out my legs, so let's see if I keep that up.

Raxious

The reason you got fat is that you probably continued eating like before while you stopped all physical activity after the surgery. Getting your diet in check is the key here if you wanna lose weight. You would need to go on a deficit anyway even if you could lift. Walking is good but won't help too much if your diet is all over the place. 30 kilos is a lot but it shouldn't be too hard after you get better and can be active again.

It's actually that because of the situation I was in, I started to eat more. All I was capable of was lying in bed. I couldn't work or go to school and just got really frustrated, and I'd just eat that frustration away with a bag of crisps. The fact that the place I worked later got shut down didn't really help either.

Now I've started to eat some breakfast, and I'm trying to lower the amount of potato's and increase the amount of vegetables. I've also decided to stop eating so much junk food. I'll be keeping my french fries Friday though ^^'

I've been walking for one and a half week now, and I've already lost about 5kg's, so I can't complain. I'm not expecting it to only take 4 weeks, this is a long term thing which I'll need to continue. It's so easy to skip a day, and 1 becomes 2 and 2 become a week etc. And I'll just need to avoid that. I've also increased the Wall push-ups from 20 to 3 sets of 20, so doing 60 in total. And got rid of the sit ups. After 2 days my arms are killing me xD

I think the moment I got that rhythm I'll be fine.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Can't chew anything solid at least until the stents come out Thursday, it's quite painful to even chew soft food. Had scrambled eggs, beef, cheese and milk for breakfast. Some milk/protein shakes and gummies yesterday, I'll have another pound of gummies later today nomnomnom. Was 210lbs post-op from all the fluids and I'm 208 today so that's good.

I get this uncontrollable sneezing where I have to let it out through my mouth; yesterday blood would just gush out of my nose but today it's 50/50 mucous.

Cooter

I'm 50/50 if I will attempt a 3xbw DL today. I feel pretty good besides this damn elbow. Not that DLing aggravates it at all but it still worries me. 570lbs is a lot of weight.

rage1973

I'm 50/50 if I will attempt a 3xbw DL today. I feel pretty good besides this damn elbow. Not that DLing aggravates it at all but it still worries me. 570lbs is a lot of weight.

Just keep it safe and hold off a week,
And that will give me more time to catch up. :D
I am actually deloading this week letting my knees rest and plan to go back to heavy DL next week.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Switched it an even wider grip on highpulls. My upper back/traps are annihilated. I'd recommend a wider grip and not pulling from pins.

Isn't that a 20lb jump?

Either way, I'd wait to be honest. DL taxes everything and if your elbow is real bad, it's not gonna help.

Cooter

Isn't that a 20lb jump?

Either way, I'd wait to be honest. DL taxes everything and if your elbow is real bad, it's not gonna help.

I actually decided to hold off before reading the replies but thanks guys. It's squat week anyway so I won't mess up my rotation.

It's actually a 45lb jump from my max last summer. Between my added lower body mass from my bulk and the new no shoes approach along with straps and knee sleeves I was just going to go for it. Probably a tad too ambitious but what the hell. The bar either comes up or it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom