• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoeBear

Two months of eating slightly better and I feel like I'm getting close to being able to wear a swimsuit.

Two months ago.
O6IL9Iz.jpg

Today

A tan will do my pale skin some good.

Edit: DAMMIT I didn't want top of page :(

Veezy

que?
So I just dis my the Monday program today. Everything went fine except for the squats. Trainer told me that I have a tendency to bend my lower back during it. She recommended me maybe using the Hack Squat machine at first to strengthen my back. Thoughts?

Also I probably looked funny with just the barbell between all those big dudes but the thing alone weighs like 20kg in my gym.

Coming form somebody that loves the hack squat machine, they're more of an accessory workout to squats and won't really strengthen your back. Your better bet is to learn how to squat properly. You want to imagine pushing the wall away from you with your chest and maintain a similar angle with your upper body as you do your shins. You might, might, even want to practice keeping your chest up by doing barbell hack squats, but not the machine.

If you're looking for a movement that helps strengthen your spinal erectors while maintaining proper lumbar curvature, then you are looking to do dead lifts.

SeanR1221

Of course. You are basically starting over again.

True dat. Good point.

Holy shit fitbros.

I know it's not much compared to some of your achievements (Cooter, FE, Othegoree, Rokkerkory, Brolic etc. etc.).

But I just succeeded my old personal best on the OHP - 55 kg (121 lbs) - by 57,5 Kg (126 lbs)! first time ever getting that high on the OHP! :-D

Its just 1x1 though, but still... It felt fulfilling attaining it weight. Getting closer and closer to 1 plate OHP

Congrats, it's like defeating the secret boss in a final fantasy game.

Two months of eating slightly better and I feel like I'm getting close to being able to wear a swimsuit.

Two months ago.

Today

Looking like a bear, bear.

Holy shit fitbros.

I know it's not much compared to some of your achievements (Cooter, FE, Othegoree, Rokkerkory, Brolic etc. etc.).

But I just succeeded my old personal best on the OHP - 55 kg (121 lbs) - by 57,5 Kg (126 lbs)! first time ever getting that high on the OHP! :-D

Its just 1x1 though, but still... It felt fulfilling attaining it weight. Getting closer and closer to 1 plate OHP

gj brotherjackdood!

Two months ago.

Today

you have some big ass arms

Pete Rock

I kind of feel like I'm running into this. What was your solution? Re squeeze at the top?
I tried this from the pin position that was too high and it was really difficult and seemed like a bad idea at my work set weight. The solution I found was to use the third bench which has a fixed "U" shaped bracket instead of pins, it is not at the "perfect height" in fact it is too low, but I can get under it and push it up against the back of the stop and not hit a higher pin - then I can pull it out with my lats while maintaining my shoulder position and proceeding as normal. So on the one hand my bench has improved significantly, on the other hand I can only use one of the three benches, so if it's taken I'm basically out of luck until they are done.

Chocobro

What is the best way to bail out of a squat?

Candito showed his squat fail and how he bailed in this video, he has another video from a few years back too. I HB squat so I am able to have my torso lean back and jump forward really fast to dump the weights onto the safety rails; the safety rails in my university gym is similar to the ones in the first video and is strong, whereas the ones in the second video looks weak in comparison.

---------------------------------------
I plan on recording my bench press when I can get 3x5x115 lbs; I feel I really cleaned up my setup over the last few weeks using Brolic's references. Currently only able to get 3/3/3x110 so maybe I can get 3x5x115 next month.
I did record last week's squats when I completed 3x5x155 but I never got around to upload it until yesterday (link); still working on keeping my center of gravity over my heels throughout the squat because I still notice my heel raising off the ground or I'm leaning slightly forward even though it is slowly getting better, compared to my older squat footage.

EDIT:
So I just dis my the Monday program today. Everything went fine except for the squats. Trainer told me that I have a tendency to bend my lower back during it. She recommended me maybe using the Hack Squat machine at first to strengthen my back. Thoughts?

Also I probably looked funny with just the barbell between all those big dudes but the thing alone weighs like 20kg in my gym.
Is it possible for you to record and upload a video of your squats so we can give you suggestions?
I wouldn't sweat over the thought of looking funny with just the bar; we all started with the bar, not with a plate on each side from the get-go.

----------------------
RoeBear, looking good!
Who uses 50 posts per page, it's all about that 100 posts per page.

Thanks man.

Yeah blessing and a curse. I don't do much for them besides one day of bis and tris a week. I know on back I used to use them and it's held me back from developing any lats whatsoever. My lats are so weak cause of my arms always taking over when it gets hard.

seriously dood, how big are they? Gotta be over 18 aka legal for me to be mirin.

2DAY IS LEG DAY OMG

Squat
Leg Press
Calf Raises
leg Curl
leg extension
Smith Machine Squats
Dumb bell lunges
Barbell lunges
Good Mornings
Vagina Spread machine

I fucking hate people, if you can do this much shit after your squat you need to reevaluate what you are doing.

RoeBear

Thanks Chocobro!
I'm 50 post scrub.

They're close to 18. Tried to find the tape measure but couldn't find it. Today is arm day too.

Xater

Is it possible for you to record and upload a video of your squats so we can give you suggestions?
I wouldn't sweat over the thought of looking funny with just the bar; we all started with the bar, not with a plate on each side from the get-go.

I'm not even sure if my issue are the back muscles or just that I fear I might be losing balance. Would a video without the barbell work as well?I could use a broom I guess. Otherwise I can only do that on tuesday.

SeanR1221

2DAY IS LEG DAY OMG

Squat
Leg Press
Calf Raises
leg Curl
leg extension
Smith Machine Squats
Dumb bell lunges
Barbell lunges
Good Mornings
Vagina Spread machine

I fucking hate people, if you can do this much shit after your squat you need to reevaluate what you are doing.

Yerp. I do squats and front squats and feel like getting the fuck out of there.

Veezy

que?
Lol. What is the real name for that machine anyway?

Hip ab/adductor machine.

Quite literally, a useless piece of machinery. Due to the way your legs actually function, that movement probably does more harm than good. Those, along with the oblique twist machine, should be promptly melted down due to the risks.

But, welcome to the globo gym.

EDIT: CHRIST FUCKING ALMIGHTY, CROSSFIT. WHY ARE WE DOING SQUAT SNATCHES FOR TIME. WHY.

9-7-5 reps for time of:
Muscle-ups
135-lb. squat snatches

Mik2121

Been following Cooter's schedule for the last 4 months and it's giving me good results. This week though I've been so busy today was the only day I could go (and of course I'll go during the weekend too!).

But I'm starting to gain more definition in my arms. Next up is my stomach and of course the damn legs. I'm doing fine on my back (got two back days basically...) as well, so overall I'm happy with the results.

nqL3O20.png

I know it's impossible to tell because of the clothes, and the lighting is definitely helping my muscles look better, hahaha...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Been following Cooter's schedule for the last 4 months and it's giving me good results. This week though I've been so busy today was the only day I could go (and of course I'll go during the weekend too!).

But I'm starting to gain more definition in my arms. Next up is my stomach and of course the damn legs. I'm doing fine on my back (got two back days basically...) as well, so overall I'm happy with the results.

nqL3O20.png

I know it's impossible to tell because of the clothes, and the lighting is definitely helping my muscles look better, hahaha...
Has it been 4 months already? Damn. Looking great! Team softball delts!!! Keep it up man.

Chocobro

I'm not even sure if my issue are the back muscles or just that I fear I might be losing balance. Would a video without the barbell work as well? Otherwise I can only do that on tuesday.

It won't work as well because it's better to see how you naturally squat with the barbell and make adjustments to that. But I guess you can record a squat video with the shoe you wore at the gym and use a broom stick or something straight to simulate the barbell.

I'm not sure what 'bend your lower back' is, unless the trainer means your lower back rounding. If that is the case, your upper back might not be tight enough during the squat.

Xater

It won't work as well because it's better to see how you naturally squat with the barbell and make adjustments to that. But I guess you can record a squat video with the shoe you wore at the gym and use a broom stick or something straight to simulate the barbell.

I'm not sure what 'bend your lower back' is, unless the trainer means your lower back rounding. If that is the case, your upper back might not be tight enough during the squat.

In German we say "Hohlkreuz" which I guess translates to hollow back.

ILoveBish

5s week done. It still blows my mind how much i can lift on such a calorie deficit. Feel really good about my new accessory work, I'm going to post it here in the thread and I hope some people can let me know what they think of it. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow. It's a bit chest heavy since I'm trying to get chest up to speed compared to the rest of me.

Do the people lifting heavy weights always work out with other people?

Because of work/life I tend to only be able to workout late at night by myself. I'm just wondering if there is a point where people generally think it is getting a bit risky.

I have trouble working out with other people. It feels like I have to perform for them and I'm not comfy. I lift heaviest and best alone. The biggest thing is making sure if you do get to failure, that you will be safe. That means racks and cages. I've also failed on bench purposely to show myself I could get to the bottom pegs easily.

Deadlift, front squat, leg press all in one day in that order. By the time I get to leg press I'm taking 5 minutes between sets and regretting my life choices.

Those times where you ponder your life choices at the gym are the best.

Hip ab/adductor machine.

Quite literally, a useless piece of machinery. Due to the way your legs actually function, that movement probably does more harm than good. Those, along with the oblique twist machine, should be promptly melted down due to the risks.

But, welcome to the globo gym.

EDIT: CHRIST FUCKING ALMIGHTY, CROSSFIT. WHY ARE WE DOING SQUAT SNATCHES FOR TIME. WHY.

9-7-5 reps for time of:
Muscle-ups
135-lb. squat snatches

I wanted to use the hip abductor before, but since you don't recommend it, I'll stick with my sumo deadlifts for inner thigh work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, one size down. I really do love my sleeves. I think much of it is mental but that's true for a lot of things in life. Whatever edge I can get I'll take it.

My shoes are solely responsible for me getting giddy every day it's time to squat though. Hi reps today and I plan on crushing every single rep!

Xater

I have two more questions about the starting strength workout. What should I do for abdominal work? Are the 3x15 crunches I have been doing alright?

And what would be the arm work I could be doing on fridays?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it... I was doing my squat warm up reps, and after I finished my last set I started feeling a bit of stiffness in my lower back and it hurt ever so slightly when I bent over or put strain on that area. My last set was only at 165 lbs. and it wasn't even strenuous.

The only other time I've had trouble with my lower back was when I was first getting started last summer and putting on too much weight for squats with bad form. That time I tweaked something in just my lower right back, so this is totally different.

Hope it works itself out in the coming days, but does anyone have any recommendations for stretches? I don't have access to any foam rollers or anything.

Detox

I have two more questions about the starting strength workout. What should I do for abdominal work? Are the 3x15 crunches I have been doing alright?

And what would be the arm work I could be doing on fridays?
For abs I do ab ripper x which I already did before starting the workout in the op, I do them 3 times a week after every workout. I do the barbell curls as detailed in the book and the lying tricep extensions (also in the book) superset with jm press. I do 12, 10, 8 and 6 reps increasing the weight by 1 or 2 kg each interval.

Fuzzery

Thanks. It obliterated my arms. Took me about 24h to start feeling it but the following night the muscles right past my shoulders near my chest were totally strained. Figure this is just because of waking up from inactivity so going to get back at it.

Nice! Good stuff. Remember to do them with proper form so you don't put undue stress on your shoulders and can work your chest fully. It's not a big concern, but you might want to stretch your shoulders out a bit and get some blood going before you do your reps.

I'm not sure if i train my calves in the right way at the leg press. I just put on 210 kg (460 lbs) stretch my whole leg and work with feet alone while my toes are showing up.
I want to build the outer parts of the calves a little bit more.

That creatine that was on sale for $4 on Amazon dissolves very completely. Good stuff, but now ninjas are attacking and I don't have an M60 or a speedo.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Cudder

a magazine cover as your goal body? son.....

not that that body is unattainable, but there's probably a million little things in that picture that were "fixed" and made him look better than he was looking that day.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
a magazine cover as your goal body? son.....

not that that body is unattainable, but there's probably a million little things in that picture that were "fixed" and made him look better than he was looking that day.

That was the closest pic I could find of him with his shirt off (in short time). I've seen him in Sons of Anarchy, dude seems legit.

If that's your goal then keep eating. You're far from chubby right now. I would eat roughly 3500 calories a day and keep lifting heavy. Time will take care of the rest.

3500? Isn't that too much over my TDEE?

Two months ago.

Today

Do you go by macros for your eating or just eat portions of like 6 meals?

rokkerkory

nqL3O20.png

looking good man, great job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom