• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Atkins is okay if you're looking to lose a tonne of weight. However, zero carb style of dieting for many people is difficult to do and can impact muscular gains as carbs assist with the nitrogen balance in your system, which when cutting carbs is adjust significantly causing a loss in muscle fibers.

A better approach, IMHO, is take your lean body mass (your weight minus your body fat), multiply that by 12, and only eat that many calories a day consisting of 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. That way you still get some carbs and fat in your system, but the decrease in those two with the high amount of protein will still allow for preserving your muscle mass while being on a caloric deficit. Then, throw in some strength training.

Others may feel different, but I've put that same split on athletes and soccer moms and it works.
This is amazing thank you!

Szu

I did mention it (it was in the post I was quoting that you quoted :p) but I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs.

edit: or what about this dude?

stephen-amell-arrow-training-pull-ups-o.gif

I have no idea if the work out this dude is doing here even takes any effort and just looks cool, lol.

Not necessarily a workout, but it does take quite a bit of upper back and core muscles to pull it off. It's called the salmon ladder. The first time I saw was during a Ninja Warrior episode.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not necessarily a workout, but it does take quite a bit of upper back and core muscles to pull it off. It's called the salmon ladder. The first time I saw was during a Ninja Warrior episode.

Wait, so this is an actual thing?

SeanR1221

That guy from arrow has more muscle than the guy from Sons of Anarchy AFAIK.

Soka lookin good brother. How's grad school? 5/3/1 seems to be serving you well

BadTaste

I can't even do 1 pull-up, if feels as if my shoulders would end up dislocating.

Chin-ups I can do just fine though, I can do 15 (maybe more) in 1 set compared to only 10 reps 2 weeks ago.

Quoting my old post from January.

Since then I can now successfully do at least 10 wide grip pull-ups, same with close grip pull-ups. Underhand pull-ups I can do 20-25 if fresh, if not then I'll do about 15.

Yay progress

Szu

Quoting my old post from January.

Since then I can now successfully do at least 10 wide grip pull-ups, same with close grip pull-ups. Underhand pull-ups I can do 20-25 if fresh, if not then I'll do about 15.

Yay progress

Congrats on the progress.

Pete Rock

Wait wait wait, Liquid Grip? What is this sorcery.
Never used it but I've heard it is to chalk what Quest Bars are to protein bars.
That's really not a bad analogy, I really find it vastly superior in many ways. The only 'downside" would be that it smells like a weird potpourri kind of scent as it dries so you kinda gotta walk around and disperse this everywhere for a minute or two instead of lingering by the platform.

That guy from arrow has more muscle than the guy from Sons of Anarchy AFAIK.

Soka lookin good brother. How's grad school? 5/3/1 seems to be serving you well

Thanks. 5/3/1 is great. Starting my 7th cycle next week... Getting super close to failure, I think I'll need a reset before cycle 7 ends. I'd post my full routine but am on mobile all weekend. Basically, I stick to 5/3/1 Triumvate and throw in some extra bicep curls recently... Cause aesthetics yo.

Grad school keeps me busy. 60-80 hours a week still of research/studying, but I'm still on pace for my PhD within 4 totals years of work. Presenting my research in Vancouver soon; any Vancouver-based FitGAF?

caesar

Banned
Hi guys, I literally just signed up to gym this week. Never lifted before.

Wondering if someone could recommend me a routine to get me looking more aesthetic?

I consider myself to be a fit person cardiovascular wise, I have competed in triathlons and I can run a sub 40min 10k/7miles. So I can take care of my own cardio, its just a weight routine i need.

I am 5"10 and weigh about 175lbs.

http://imgur.com/OYdGnsR

Gimme advice.

Edit: wow it looks like I have no legs in that picture lol

Go_Ly_Dow

3 things:

1. Who's lifting today? #GainZ4Jesus

2. With leg drive for bench are you feet meant to be stretching so far back that they're on their toes? Looked that way on Brolics bench above.

3. What do you mix your protein powder with and why? I have it with full fat milk. Extra calz and protein.

2. With leg drive for bench are you feet meant to be stretching so far back that they're on their toes? Looked that way on Brolics bench above.

Honestly until very recently i didn't really know about leg drive on the bench. I'm only just getting used to it but no wonder my bench sucked :/.

Pakoe

Gym closed on monday, i cri :(.

3 things:

3. What do you mix your protein powder with and why? I have it with full fat milk. Extra calz and protein.

I can answer 3: water.
Milk gives me bloat, which i don't need in a cut.

SeanR1221

3 things:

Your knees should be below your hips. This prevents your ass from coming off the bench and allows you to push your feet through into the ground.

Depends what works better for you. Feet far out in front or tucked back with your toes touching the floor. Your legs should be firmly planted. If someone walked by and hit them they should barely move.

I'm sure the more experienced guys can explain in more detail.

Fuzzery

I tested bodyweight squats without the rehband knee sleeves (right when I put em on before they have a chance to warm up) and it seems like they make my knee popping worse, like it has a negative effect on the patella before the knees have had a chance to warm up.

lolololol

U THINK I'M JOKIN?

Man, knee popping sucks, I fell on my knee awhile back and it hasn't been right since. Been foam rolling, but still pops when squatting.

SeanR1221

I tested bodyweight squats without the rehband knee sleeves (right when I put em on before they have a chance to warm up) and it seems like they make my knee popping worse, like it has a negative effect on the patella before the knees have had a chance to warm up.

lolololol

Weird. I used to get pretty bad knee pop (which was probably mostly from my knees tracking too far past my feet, something I'm working on) but I barely get as much as a mouse fart with the rehbands.

MBR

Banned
3 things:

I was there this morning, started doing 5sets*3reps with one plate on bench, which is pretty much my BW. Feels good.

4 dl 3% fat milk, 1dl chocolate whey, 1tbs peanut butter and 1,5 dl oats in a mixer ~=650kcal gainer shake.

Go_Ly_Dow

Your knees should be below your hips. This prevents your ass from coming off the bench and allows you to push your feet through into the ground.

Depends what works better for you. Feet far out in front or tucked back with your toes touching the floor. Your legs should be firmly planted. If someone walked by and hit them they should barely move.

cheers. Can feel the improvement since focusing more on my leg positioning, but want to get it 100% right to get the most out of it

Shadybiz

Honestly until very recently i didn't really know about leg drive on the bench. I'm only just getting used to it but no wonder my bench sucked :/.

Heh, same. Changed things around, and saw immediate improvement.

...When I watch Arrow, I feel inadequate. Getting there, though, slowly but surely!

I'm trying to cut my love handles. I've been doing IF already but those love handles r just there.
Thinking of going supplement route just to cut
Any suggestion

My room mate keep telling me who taught you how to bench. That's a wrong position (tucked back). He just does the regular lay down then bench. He was thought by his football coach

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great job, very impressive. I am also not using my legs at all during bench. Will need to work on that.

Thanks guys!
3 things:

My feet are flat. I get on my toes and drive my heels to the floor. But either one will work. You hav to find your own style.

I'm trying to cut my love handles. I've been doing IF already but those love handles r just there.
Thinking of going supplement route just to cut
Any suggestion

My room mate keep telling me who taught you how to bench. That's a wrong position (tucked back). He just does the regular lay down then bench. He was thought by his football coach

Yeah? How much does he bench?

Pete Rock

For what it's worth I was also taught compound lifts and a modified Starting Strength by my football coaches when I was 16. A decade later when I took it seriously I realized everything they told me was incorrect. He might have more education if it's college grade but even then I'd say that's not really much of a credential.

How long have you been on IF? What do you mean by supplements for cutting? I've been doing IF for 2 years now and have always taken supplements during that time.

Heavier squats and deadlifts will get your midsection looking nasty if that's what you're after. You can't spot reduce.

Yeah? How much does he bench?

For what it's worth I was also taught compound lifts and a modified Starting Strength by my football coaches when I was 16. A decade later when I took it seriously I realized everything they told me was incorrect. He might have more education if it's college grade but even then I'd say that's not really much of a credential.

How long have you been on IF? What do you mean by supplements for cutting? I've been doing IF for 2 years now and have always taken supplements during that time.

Heavier squats and deadlifts will get your midsection looking nasty if that's what you're after. You can't spot reduce.

i started back to IF after the Holidays. i'm trying to slim my midsection; get rid of the love handles. i'm thinking of taking some fat burning supplement

So, I am a bit confused on the warm ups for the exercises (just starting).

Is it better for me to do some cardio and then lift weights?

On the starting strength web link, they recommend doing sets with lower weights before the core sets.

So, e.g., I do dumbbell goblet squats (as posted before, I have trouble maintaining balance with full barbell). If I do my normal 3x5 sets using a 12.5kg dumbbell, should I do warmups as:
2x5 5kg
2x5 7.5kg
1x5 10kg

then 3x5 12.5kg core sets.

And similarly, repeat for all exercises?

Thanks

Xyber

I started going to the gym for the first time in my life last Wednesday and have been there 2 times so far. So after 2 times pretty much every muscle in my body is sore (in a good way :p). Just have a question, how long should the break between sets be? And is there something you should be doing during that break that will help in some way?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Happy Easter everyone.

It's also my anniversary and we were planning on going out last night but my wife got sick. That meant Chinese food in and a Breaking Bad marathon. Yeah, I know, we know how to live it up. Had a mammoth cheat night with pounds of Chinese and bowl after bowl of ice cream. Feeling lethargic and puffy today.

Chocobro

I started going to the gym for the first time in my life last Wednesday and have been there 2 times so far. So after 2 times pretty much every muscle in my body is sore (in a good way :p). Just have a question, how long should the break between sets be? And is there something you should be doing during that break that will help in some way?

For as long as you want it to be, you'll know how long when you feel ready for the next set. It ranges from person to person: some lifters feel they're good to go after a minute rest, others can take up to 10 minutes or more.
My rest time between each set is usually 3 minutes. I drink water, sit down on the bench, and mentally prepare myself for the next set. If I feel tight in an area, I try to loosen it with stretches (rarely for me, but it does happen).

thomaser

As long as you feel you need, really. But not unnecessarily long - there are other people around who probably want to use whatever you're using. Nothing special you should be doing, just relax. Maybe drink some water.

Xyber

For as long as you want it to be, you'll know how long when you feel ready for the next set. It ranges from person to person: some lifters feel they're good to go after a minute rest, others can take up to 10 minutes or more.
My rest time between each set is usually 3 minutes. I drink water, sit down on the bench, and mentally prepare myself for the next set. If I feel tight in an area, I try to loosen it with stretches (rarely for me, but it does happen).

As long as you feel you need, really. But not unnecessarily long - there are other people around who probably want to use whatever you're using. Nothing special you should be doing, just relax. Maybe drink some water.

Alright, thanks. And I go later in the evening so it's usually empty when I'm there so I don't have to worry about sharing stuff. Can't believe it took me so long to sign up when I have this gym that is open 24/7 and only a 5 minute walk from me.

Go_Ly_Dow

just had a pat myself on the back moment eyeing up my body in the mirror. 1.5 years of hard work and dedication and finally seeing the results.

fuck yeah!

I figured this would be the best place to go, and I key-word searched a lot of pages (probably not enough with 168 with 100 posts...)...

But if I wanted to find a personal trainer how would you guys recommend going about it? I'm in DFW and there's obviously plenty of gyms and whatnot who have them. But I also know that a lot of them are hacks and are just there for money. I'd be looking for someone who would be patient and help me work, and I'd definitely be committed to a different lifestyle. Obviously nobody here would be able to recommend someone specific, but if you were in my spot what would you do or what would you look for in one/be able to spot a good one?

rokkerkory

I figured this would be the best place to go, and I key-word searched a lot of pages (probably not enough with 168 with 100 posts...)...

But if I wanted to find a personal trainer how would you guys recommend going about it? I'm in DFW and there's obviously plenty of gyms and whatnot who have them. But I also know that a lot of them are hacks and are just there for money. I'd be looking for someone who would be patient and help me work, and I'd definitely be committed to a different lifestyle. Obviously nobody here would be able to recommend someone specific, but if you were in my spot what would you do or what would you look for in one/be able to spot a good one?

Do you really need a PT though? If so, obviously the first thing about the PT is how "fit" they look and their personality. Are they in it to help you out or trying to make $?

Do they have other clients they have helped? They don't necessarily need to be certified but that's always nice.

RoeBear

Happy Easter everyone.

It's also my anniversary and we were planning on going out last night but my wife got sick. That meant Chinese food in and a Breaking Bad marathon. Yeah, I know, we know how to live it up. Had a mammoth cheat night with pounds of Chinese and bowl after bowl of ice cream. Feeling lethargic and puffy today.

Happy Easter, and lmao at lethargic and puffy. I bet you can still see your abs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom