• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

Here's me:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107767612&postcount=16291

Here's what I'm striving to be (more or less):

rs_634x793-130903113608-634.Charlie-Hunnam-Mens-Fitness.mh.090313.jpg

He's 6'1" at ~180 lbs. btw.

edit: Oh, also. Reached another milestone yesterday. Was at the gym, and I was having trouble taking off my t-shirt because it was too tight! :D

How tall are you and what do you weigh now?

From your pictures you need to put on about ~10 more lbs of muscle to get to close to this, which isn't that far off. Another year perhaps of heavy lifting then lots of toning.

RoeBear

Do you go by macros for your eating or just eat portions of like 6 meals?

Portions usually around five a day. Been snacking on sunflower seeds with no salt.

Meals usually consist of chicken breast or steak with broccoli or guac. Chick fil a if I've done some stair master that day, and if I'm craving something really bad I have a bowl of captain crunch.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

From your pictures you need to put on about ~10 more lbs of muscle to get to close to this, which isn't that far off. Another year perhaps of heavy lifting then lots of toning.

I don't think you have to lift heavy to look like that, lol.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I tested bodyweight squats without the rehband knee sleeves (right when I put em on before they have a chance to warm up) and it seems like they make my knee popping worse, like it has a negative effect on the patella before the knees have had a chance to warm up.

You should make a youtube channel and review them in a suit.

lolololol

Xater

Still hoping someone can tell me what kind of abdominal exercises I should do on Wednesday. Also do I do multiple ones or just one?

Still hoping someone can tell me what kind of abdominal exercises I should do on Wednesday. Also do I do multiple ones or just one?

Sorry, what is the rest of your routine and what are your goals? On mobile so I'm having trouble finding your previous post with said info.

Anyway, here is a recent pic of me at 5'9" 175 lbs. Please critique/guess my body fat. These are non-flexed pictures. My goal is not size, but to slowly, gradually become more aesthetically pleasing. I have a long road ahead and I hate my delts/biceps/triceps/forearms. I blame them on my genetically tiny wrists (last measurement they were a hair under four inches around), but I know excuses won't help so I will keep working on them. Current 1RM (actual, not calculated) with full range of motion are:

OHP: 125 lbs
Squat: 265 lbs
Deadlift: 315 lbs
Bench: 200 lbs

I will upload leg pics later today if I can find a full body mirror. I believe I am around 18% body fat, what do you guys think? My plan is to start cutting at the end of May to get closer to 13% by my honeymoon in mid/late September.

Advice please!

I am still a newbie. I am on the OP routine.

I recently got my deadlift up to 245 lbs.

The problem is, now that it's that heavy, my fingers are giving out. The bar rapidly slips in my hands until it's at the first two knuckles, and it feels like I'm going to drop it at any moment. I had to stop at 4 reps today because of this.

I went to Walmart and bought some weightlifting gloves, hoping that would help, but it did not help at all. I plan to return them the next time I go.

So... what can I do, if anything? It's very frustrating because I feel like the rest of my body could definitely support an increase in weight, but my fingers just do not want to cooperate. Do I just need to wait for them to strengthen up or something?

Thank you.

Advice please!

I am still a newbie. I am on the OP routine.

I recently got my deadlift up to 245 lbs.

The problem is, now that it's that heavy, my fingers are giving out. The bar rapidly slips in my hands until it's at the first two knuckles, and it feels like I'm going to drop it at any moment. I had to stop at 4 reps today because of this.

I went to Walmart and bought some weightlifting gloves, hoping that would help, but it did not help at all. I plan to return them the next time I go.

So... what can I do, if anything? It's very frustrating because I feel like the rest of my body could definitely support an increase in weight, but my fingers just do not want to cooperate. Do I just need to wait for them to strengthen up or something?

Thank you.

Your grip strength is failing you. Three things I can suggest.

1) What grip are you using? That is, are your palms facing towards you, away from you, or one away and one towards? If you use a mixed grip (one palm towards you, one away) you'll generally have a better grip on the bar than if you use double overhand or god forbid double underhand.

2) You can start doing farmer's walks with dumbbells (Google it, lots of videos) to improve your grip strength.

3) Use weightlifting chalk (or liquid chalk even) which you can buy on Amazon. It will greatly reduce slippage.

I recommend farmers walks and mixed grip to start. Oh, but for mixed grip, I'd only use it on your heaviest lifts when needed, otherwise I think it is preferential to stick with double overhand for as long as possible to reduce any risk of creating a strength imbalance.

Xater

Sorry, what is the rest of your routine and what are your goals? On mobile so I'm having trouble finding your previous post with said info.

Now doing starting strength from the OP and just wondering what I should do for abdominal exercises because it doesn't specify. Are the 3x15 crunches I did before alright? Should I do more or something different?

Your grip strength is failing you. Three things I can suggest.

1) What grip are you using? That is, are your palms facing towards you, away from you, or one away and one towards? If you use a mixed grip (one palm towards you, one away) you'll generally have a better grip on the bar than if you use double overhand or god forbid double underhand.

2) You can start doing farmer's walks with dumbbells (Google it, lots of videos) to improve your grip strength.

3) Use weightlifting chalk (or liquid chalk even) which you can buy on Amazon. It will greatly reduce slippage.

I recommend farmers walks and mixed grip to start. Oh, but for mixed grip, I'd only use it on your heaviest lifts when needed, otherwise I think it is preferential to stick with double overhand for as long as possible to reduce any risk of creating a strength imbalance.

I've been using double overhand because I thought that was the only grip that was allowed, hah. I will try a mixed grip next time to see if that helps.

I will also give the farmer's walk a shot on days that I don't deadlift.

Thank you very much!

Now doing starting strength from the OP and just wondering what I should do for abdominal exercises because it doesn't specify. Are the 3x15 crunches I did before alright? Should I do more or something different?

Some may disagree with this but i think you should just suit your ab exercises to your own preference, they're probably the least important part of the routine. Personally i do planks, side planks, lying bicycle kicks and hanging leg raises. Usually takes 5-10 minutes which some may see as too much but i enjoy it.

I agree with AdventureRacing, although at the same time, I truly believe squats and deadlift will strengthen your core significantly if you always remember to keep it tight during each lift. If you really want to isolate your abs, I would avoid crunches or sit-ups and focus on planks and hanging leg raises. I think crunches and sit-ups do more harm to the neck and spine than they benefit the abs personally speaking.

Man my body feels really beat up and not in the good way. Have this kink in my lower back that's been there for a few weeks and went a went to the gym a few days ago and started warming up for squats with the bar I felt this pain in my left hip that is still lingering today

I agree with AdventureRacing, although at the same time, I truly believe squats and deadlift will strengthen your core significantly if you always remember to keep it tight during each lift. If you really want to isolate your abs, I would avoid crunches or sit-ups and focus on planks and hanging leg raises. I think crunches and sit-ups do more harm to the neck and spine than they benefit the abs personally speaking.

Yeah when i first started doing ab exercises i was mostly doing crunches and sit-ups (because most people tell you to do that). Personally i found the results weren't all that good and i don't really like the way they feel. Planks and leg raises are much more satisfying and you can really feel them targeting the different areas of your core.

I agree though that with squats, deadlifts and in my case sprints you can really feel your core engaging if you do them properly.

Xater

Some may disagree with this but i think you should just suit your ab exercises to your own preference, they're probably the least important part of the routine. Personally i do planks, side planks, lying bicycle kicks and hanging leg raises. Usually takes 5-10 minutes which some may see as too much but i enjoy it.

So I should do more than one abs exercise or is starting out one alright for that day? I just ask that specific so I can get a routine down on paper. I am good at sticking to stuff I just need a regular schedule.

Pete Rock

Good stuff, but now ninjas are attacking and I don't have an M60 or a speedo.
Well, that's why you always have three or more on hand in different colors to match any given occasion. At least the speedo. Color matched M60s would break the bank rapidly.

I tested bodyweight squats without the rehband knee sleeves (right when I put em on before they have a chance to warm up) and it seems like they make my knee popping worse, like it has a negative effect on the patella before the knees have had a chance to warm up.
Do you do squats first thing? I transitioned to doing squats last and I wear the sleeves the whole workout so my knees are positively toasty an hour into it. Just a thought. I am not familiar with the clicky kneecap feeling you describe though, all I know is they do keep the joint warmer over time.

I will upload leg pics later today if I can find a full body mirror. I believe I am around 18% body fat, what do you guys think? My plan is to start cutting at the end of May to get closer to 13% by my honeymoon in mid/late September.
Hard to say, in the picture where you are farther away you are more directly under a light source there is not much of a massive difference, but you can see more definition due to that, so I'd say 18-20 is a safe bet. Dial in the diet for the next few months and go hard you'll grind it off.

Very much so. Also when people ask you "how many crunches do you do in a day?!" and you say "zero in the last two years" their head will explode, so you get to enjoy that as a nice bonus.

I bought a power wheel to do some exercises with it and every time I look over at it in the corner I am thinking "what the fuck did I really think I was going to use this..." lol it will probably become some weird yoga accessory tool at this point...

Veezy

que?
So I should do more than one abs exercise or is starting out one alright for that day? I just ask that specific so I can get a routine down on paper. I am good at sticking to stuff I just need a regular schedule.

I'm of the opinion that Starting Strength (the basic program, minus the power cleans) is just fine as it is. You do not need to augment it. Seriously. Squats, deadlifts, standing presses, and bench presses. That's it.

I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying that so you don't focus on a whole bunch of stuff that's not needed. If you're novice enough that you're doing less than 135 for reps on squats, you're going to want to start with the bare basics.

As much of a fan I am of Grayskull LP as the superior program, 99% of people who have never touched a bar before should really do a straight month of SS as prescribed before moving on to doing GSLP. It's going to develop some functional strength patterns as well as solid biomechanics that translate into most other movements.

If you must do abdominal work, planks and hanging/lying leg/knee raises are a better choice.

Hard to say, in the picture where you are farther away you are more directly under a light source there is not much of a massive difference, but you can see more definition due to that, so I'd say 18-20 is a safe bet. Dial in the diet for the next few months and go hard you'll grind it off.

I bought a power wheel to do some exercises with it and every time I look over at it in the corner I am thinking "what the fuck did I really think I was going to use this..." lol it will probably become some weird yoga accessory tool at this point...

Thanks to you (and Bish!) for the comments. Yeah, I think adjusting my diet will get things right where I want them by September.

Also, an wheels are fairly legit. They aren't a necessity for good abs, but honestly they do a decent job. If you already have it you might as well use it!

Xater

I'm of the opinion that Starting Strength (the basic program, minus the power cleans) is just fine as it is. You do not need to augment it. Seriously. Squats, deadlifts, standing presses, and bench presses. That's it.

I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying that so you don't focus on a whole bunch of stuff that's not needed. If you're novice enough that you're doing less than 135 for reps on squats, you're going to want to start with the bare basics.

As much of a fan I am of Grayskull LP as the superior program, 99% of people who have never touched a bar before should really do a straight month of SS as prescribed before moving on to doing GSLP. It's going to develop some functional strength patterns as well as solid biomechanics that translate into most other movements.

If you must do abdominal work, planks and hanging/lying leg/knee raises are a better choice.

Not trying to modify anything, it just says abdominal work right there in the OP for wednesdays :p

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Damn first day lifting since nose surgery and it was pretty brutal. I woke up hungover with a bad headache from the codeine and alcohol I abused last night LOL. Didn't go very heavy wanting to take it easy but I still felt like passing out. The pressure in my face isn't so bad now but I can still feel it. My top front teeth are a little numb from the swelling compressing a nerve. Did BSquat 355 3x10 and snatch grip DLs up to 405x2 and my legs were shaking the entire time.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Anyway, here is a recent pic of me at 5'9" 175 lbs. Please critique/guess my body fat. These are non-flexed pictures. My goal is not size, but to slowly, gradually become more aesthetically pleasing. I have a long road ahead and I hate my delts/biceps/triceps/forearms. I blame them on my genetically tiny wrists (last measurement they were a hair under four inches around), but I know excuses won't help so I will keep working on them. Current 1RM (actual, not calculated) with full range of motion are:

No way in hell are you 18% my man. I put you around 14 or 15 actually. You're 2 or 3 percent from 300 style abs!

Also, I'm almost certain you measured your wrists incorrectly or forgot. Under 4 inches is insanely tiny. For reference my 3 year old measures 4.75.

rokkerkory

Looking pretty good man... traps and upper body is good size.

You look about 15-16% BF to me.

I think in 4 months you can get to closer to 10% BF than 13% but is ultra realistic goal.

No way in hell are you 18% my man. I put you around 14 or 15 actually. You're 2 or 3 percent from 300 style abs!

Also, I'm almost certain you measured your wrists incorrectly or forgot. Under 4 inches is insanely tiny. For reference my 3 year old measures 4.75.

Thanks for the first comment. I think I'll be pretty happy with how I look if I go on a solid cut for a few months and switch to a maintenance level of calories after that.

Also, your second comment made me think that maybe I misremembered, so I remeasured and you are right, my wrists are 7" around. Still on the super small side for a full-grown, 5'9", male. But, that's life, and I don't waste time trying to grow my wrists when I have bigger muscle groups to focus on.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks for the first comment. I think I'll be pretty happy with how I look if I go on a solid cut for a few months and switch to a maintenance level of calories after that.

Also, your second comment made me think that maybe I misremembered, so I remeasured and you are right, my wrists are 7" around. Still on the super small side for a full-grown, 5'9", male. But, that's life, and I don't waste time trying to grow my wrists when I have bigger muscle groups to focus on.

First of all, I'm glad you don't waste time trying to grow your wrists because you can't. Second, 7" isn't small at all. Mine are 7.5 and based on my observation of others they are on the bigger size. Especially for a 5'10 man.

Veezy

que?
Is Atkins diet ok guys?

Atkins is okay if you're looking to lose a tonne of weight. However, zero carb style of dieting for many people is difficult to do and can impact muscular gains as carbs assist with the nitrogen balance in your system, which when cutting carbs is adjust significantly causing a loss in muscle fibers.

A better approach, IMHO, is take your lean body mass (your weight minus your body fat), multiply that by 12, and only eat that many calories a day consisting of 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. That way you still get some carbs and fat in your system, but the decrease in those two with the high amount of protein will still allow for preserving your muscle mass while being on a caloric deficit. Then, throw in some strength training.

Others may feel different, but I've put that same split on athletes and soccer moms and it works.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I did mention it (it was in the post I was quoting that you quoted :p) but I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs.

edit: or what about this dude?

stephen-amell-arrow-training-pull-ups-o.gif

I have no idea if the work out this dude is doing here even takes any effort and just looks cool, lol.

rokkerkory

I did mention it (it was in the post I was quoting that you quoted :p) but I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs.

edit: or what about this dude?

stephen-amell-arrow-training-pull-ups-o.gif

I have no idea if the work out this dude is doing here even takes any effort and just looks cool, lol.

Ah you're right... I am 5'9" and 150lbs so we are close. I think you'll look really nice at 160lbs @ 8% BF (which is also my goal).

sruckus

Week 2 done! I just finished my last run for the week (I take Sunday off from everything) so this is my second week of either lifting or running every day :)

I'll be attempting 110 for the squat Monday. Last Monday I didn't make it through, so I repeated the same weight for Wednesday and then things were good. Hopefully that won't happen again. I'm feeling better, and noticing definition and firmness in certain areas of my stomach and uh... butt!

I wish I could figure out a consistent and good way to track my body fat, though, since that's really what is going to tell me how much closer I am to my goal. But measuring using the navy calculations didn't change at all in a week (maybe too loose since I can't use half measurements and stuff?) and I obviously can't figure out the freaking calipers I bought since it thinks I have like 14% BF. HA. Pretty sure the navy calc at ~19% is more accurate, I'm just bummed it didn't change at all.

Oh, and I made a delicious stir fry this past Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom