• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really need a PT though? If so, obviously the first thing about the PT is how "fit" they look and their personality. Are they in it to help you out or trying to make $?

Do they have other clients they have helped? They don't necessarily need to be certified but that's always nice.

Yeah I'd probably need one cause otherwise I don't trust myself to do a lot of things properly. Plus, I would just need some guidance until I feel like I can really operate on my own. But thanks for the help!

Candito showed his squat fail and how he bailed in this video

A bit late, but thanks for that. I think I should be safe enough using those methods.

I have trouble working out with other people. It feels like I have to perform for them and I'm not comfy. I lift heaviest and best alone. The biggest thing is making sure if you do get to failure, that you will be safe. That means racks and cages. I've also failed on bench purposely to show myself I could get to the bottom pegs easily.

Yeah I'm a bit the same. I don't mind having people around too much, but I always enjoy it more when I have the run of the place.

blackflag

Feeling swole today after a short break from that diet life. Amazing what some carbs will do for me.

46JTvxbl.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My diet is turning to shit. I've hit hard times, big daddy. Gotta come up with a lot of money, fast, and I'm reduced to fucking goddamn ramen. My gains are threatening to leave. Eggs are all I've got to cling to. Precious eggs.

I can't wait until I get over this hump and the money's flowing again.

Chocobro

Should I worry about my weight gain over the pass couple of weeks?
March 24: 140 lb
April 7: 142 lb
April 21: 144 lb.

I'm 5'8" and I weigh myself after I wake up, pee, and poop to reduce inconsistencies and variances. For reference, I was 130 lb last August when I started posting here and lifting.
I also noticed every week since March 24, I was only able to go to the gym twice a week because I had exams and assignments; therefore less burned calories.

I was only able to go to the gym twice a week because I had exams and assignments; therefore less burned calories.

Calories burned from weight training's pretty negligible, even if you worked out 4 times a week vs 2 that'd be maybe 400-500 calories more over the span of a week? What do the mirror & your strength levels say?

If you're trying to add mass 4 lbs/month is a pretty good rate in terms of minimizing fat gain.

Hovering in around 251 lbs. So in 3 months, I've lost around 19 lbs. I want to try for another 10-15 lbs. When I hit 240 lbs, I will reevaluate. I really don't want to go under 240 but might be willing to try for 235. Just have to see how it all works out.

MjFrancis

“Obesity Is a Disease”
Examining the Self-Regulatory Impact of This Public-Health Message

In the current work, we examined the impact of the American Medical Association’s recent classification of obesity as a disease on weight-management processes. Across three experimental studies, we highlighted the potential hidden costs associated with labeling obesity as a disease, showing that this message, presented in an actual New York Times article, undermined beneficial weight-loss self-regulatory processes. A disease-based, relative to an information-based, weight-management message weakened the importance placed on health-focused dieting and reduced concerns about weight among obese individuals—the very people whom such public-health messages are targeting. Further, the decreased concern about weight predicted higher-calorie food choices. In addition, the disease message, relative to a message that obesity is not a disease, lowered body-image dissatisfaction, but this too predicted higher-calorie food choices. Thus, although defining obesity as a disease may be beneficial for body image, results from the current work emphasize the negative implications of this message for self-regulation.
If obesity is a disease, then it follows that your weight gain is not your own responsibility - it is something that happens to you, and not something that comes of own free will. No different than weather patterns or heart beats - things that you wield no control over. Self image improves at the cost of continued overeating when obesity is perceived as a disease. Perception is aggravating obesity - do you need anymore evidence that if it's a disease at all, it's one of the mind and not the body?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
“Obesity Is a Disease”
Examining the Self-Regulatory Impact of This Public-Health Message

If obesity is a disease, then it follows that your weight gain is not your own responsibility - it is something that happens to you, and not something that comes of own free will. No different than weather patterns or heart beats - things that you wield no control over. Self image improves at the cost of continued overeating when obesity is perceived as a disease. Perception is aggravating obesity - do you need anymore evidence that if it's a disease at all, it's one of the mind and not the body?

Will you make a topic for this? GAF needs a shakeup.

Should I worry about my weight gain over the pass couple of weeks?
March 24: 140 lb
April 7: 142 lb
April 21: 144 lb.

I'm 5'8" and I weigh myself after I wake up, pee, and poop to reduce inconsistencies and variances. For reference, I was 130 lb last August when I started posting here and lifting.
I also noticed every week since March 24, I was only able to go to the gym twice a week because I had exams and assignments; therefore less burned calories.

I wouldn't worry, but it's all kind of dependent on your current goals. Are you bulking at the moment or just trying to maintain? Are you on SS, because you'll inevitably need to eat more in order to sustain your gains and progress, so weight gain is to be expected.

IMO keep gaining man. I'm 5'7'' and was 135 for most of college, and it felt good to hit that 150 mark for my height lol now I'm fluctuating around 160 +/- 2-3 lbs but i just feel a lot better and stronger.

If I can spend $100 to cover my diet for two weeks, I'll be happy. I need to fix my diet.
Everything is over priced in Australia.

Do they have wholesalers to the public in Australia? In the US we have Costco and BJ's, and I think a few others. I'm a Costco member and it's really helped me save a ton of money. Everything from their meats, olive oil, almond butter (which I am addicted to). Just about anything a healthy bro would want to eat, just buy in bulk.

Cudder

Hovering in around 251 lbs. So in 3 months, I've lost around 19 lbs. I want to try for another 10-15 lbs. When I hit 240 lbs, I will reevaluate. I really don't want to go under 240 but might be willing to try for 235. Just have to see how it all works out.
Duuude, if you cut to like 200 pounds you'd look beastly. Not to mention it would mean a way longer bulk the next time you'd decide to do one ;)

So, I am a bit confused on the warm ups for the exercises (just starting).

Is it better for me to do some cardio and then lift weights?

On the starting strength web link, they recommend doing sets with lower weights before the core sets.

So, e.g., I do dumbbell goblet squats (as posted before, I have trouble maintaining balance with full barbell). If I do my normal 3x5 sets using a 12.5kg dumbbell, should I do warmups as:
2x5 5kg
2x5 7.5kg
1x5 10kg

then 3x5 12.5kg core sets.

And similarly, repeat for all exercises?

Thanks

Reposting question for new page, have to work out today, would like to get answer before that :p

ILoveBish

My diet is turning to shit. I've hit hard times, big daddy. Gotta come up with a lot of money, fast, and I'm reduced to fucking goddamn ramen. My gains are threatening to leave. Eggs are all I've got to cling to. Precious eggs.

I can't wait until I get over this hump and the money's flowing again.

My keto bro, you're going to make it. We're all going to make it.

Will you make a topic for this? GAF needs a shakeup.

why you like to stir up shit, Sunflora

Anyone here does forearm/grip exercises? I know you guys recommend deadlifts and pullups with no gloves or straps and I already do those but the weight is still too little to make a difference, so I need something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
why you like to stir up shit, Sunflora

Anyone here does forearm/grip exercises? I know you guys recommend deadlifts and pullups with no gloves or straps and I already do those but the weight is still too little to make a difference, so I need something.

It's a monday. I gotta get agitated.

J. Bravo

Duuude, if you cut to like 200 pounds you'd look beastly. Not to mention it would mean a way longer bulk the next time you'd decide to do one ;)
I think with his build (NFL linebacker) he should go no lower than 220. Past that and he risks losing considerable muscle.

Guys, if I'm going to deadlift tomorrow, should I do chest/shoulders or back/arms. Leaning towards chest for reasons that should be obvious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just realized come August I will have been training for 5 years. If I hit that 500lb squat it will have taken me 5 years to hit my main goals. (500lb squat, 600lb deadlift and 405lb bench.) all I need is 50more lbs on my squat in 4 months. Lol.

Not too shabby especially since I know plenty of people who have trained longer and not hit those numbers.

I think with his build (NFL linebacker) he should go no lower than 220. Past that and he risks losing considerable muscle.

Guys, if I'm going to deadlift tomorrow, should I do chest/shoulders or back/arms. Leaning towards chest for reasons that should be obvious.

Today? Chest.

Petrie

Banned
I miss this thread. An ongoing cold/flu has kept me from the gym for like week and a half with regularity. I hate that thanks to diabetes and my weak immune system this happens at least 3-4 times a year.

PAX East didn't help.

MjFrancis

So, I am a bit confused on the warm ups for the exercises (just starting).

Is it better for me to do some cardio and then lift weights?
I prefer cardio after lifting. As far as warm-ups go, you can try what you posted re: goblet squats, or you can do bodyweight squats. Get the muscles working but not fatigued enough to impact your work sets.

Here we go! Thanks mjfrancis, time to watch it go~
And go it has! I presented a relatively soft stance on the subject and there's still internet knights flying their flags of righteous indignation to the rescue! There's a population of people who live take things as offensively as they can possibly be interpreted.

Herr K

Banned
Dear Gaf, could you provide me with a beginner's swimming routine? I'm planning on going back to swimming after a long 2 year break, so I think it would be appropriate to start from scratch.

I'll be swimming in an Olympic pool, btw.

Oh god 200? At first I thought you said 220 and I couldn't do it. 200 would be way too much for me. I'm not trying to get shredded. Just want to drop some lbs. These 20 lbs have already been a struggle. I can only imagine losing another 20 if that. The mental abuse would be too much lol.

Going aggressive on this cut the past week. Added in 20-25 min of daily treadmill HIIT. Feeling lighter and tired now. Its amazing how not having a weekly cheat meal can effect you that much. Eating about 1700-2000 cals a day and on Wed I am going to lower my carbs from about 75-100 to 50 a day....5 more weeks and hopefully I get to where I need to be just in time for Memorial Day.

Side note.

Its pretty crazy how much more effective using the treadmill is over the elliptical for HIIT. Never going back to the elliptical again

Chocobro

Calories burned from weight training's pretty negligible, even if you worked out 4 times a week vs 2 that'd be maybe 400-500 calories more over the span of a week? What do the mirror & your strength levels say?

If you're trying to add mass 4 lbs/month is a pretty good rate in terms of minimizing fat gain.
You do bring up a good point. I think I should have asked the question if the rate is fast or not and you've answered that. Looking at the mirror, I have a bigger stomach when looking at the side and a more apparent double chin lol. Strength level, I don't know what to say honestly; looking back at my log, there's steady progress. My two friends joke when I'll beat the female records in the university gym lol.
I wouldn't worry, but it's all kind of dependent on your current goals. Are you bulking at the moment or just trying to maintain? Are you on SS, because you'll inevitably need to eat more in order to sustain your gains and progress, so weight gain is to be expected.

IMO keep gaining man. I'm 5'7'' and was 135 for most of college, and it felt good to hit that 150 mark for my height lol now I'm fluctuating around 160 +/- 2-3 lbs but i just feel a lot better and stronger.
The former. I am on SS and for sure I'll need to eat more to maintain progress, I was aware of that back in December when I was stuck at 100 lb squats.
And I guess that's that. I shouldn't worry too much about it lol. I just wasn't sure if 4lbs/month was considered fast or not. I might go to the 155 lb area and maintain there to see how my lifts go.

Thank you you two :)

sruckus

So after 4 times at the gym, I still feel like an idiot swinging and huffing trying to do more than 3 (unassisted) chin-ups. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I progress faster than that? I was originally starting out assisted, but read that it will never help me be able to do them properly on my own.

So after 4 times at the gym, I still feel like an idiot swinging and huffing trying to do more than 3 (unassisted) chin-ups. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I progress faster than that? I was originally starting out assisted, but read that it will never help me be able to do them properly on my own.

There is a hump to get over with chin ups or pull ups, so keep at it.

You'll struggle to do 4, then 5 will seem almost impossible. But you will get there and suddenly you'll do a set of 10 and then 20 will be easy from there.

It takes time.

Hmm. I have no idea how many pull ups I can do. I can knock out at least ten, but I prefer doing like 5-6 weighted pull ups. Would one method provide more benefits over the other (reps vs weighted)?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Feeling swole today after a short break from that diet life. Amazing what some carbs will do for me.

Me, too.

A while back I did two weeks of eating lots of carbs at night, every night. Gym performance was definitely up (especially in terms of recovery between sets), but damn if it didn't make me look big.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Elbow felt pretty damn good today. More hi rep work.

BB bench

185x18
205x16
225x10
225x11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom