• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Oh god 200? At first I thought you said 220 and I couldn't do it. 200 would be way too much for me. I'm not trying to get shredded. Just want to drop some lbs. These 20 lbs have already been a struggle. I can only imagine losing another 20 if that. The mental abuse would be too much lol.

I'm going to drop down to 205-210, while I like being heavier I think that weight would make me look like Reggie Bush.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Should I worry about my weight gain over the pass couple of weeks?
March 24: 140 lb
April 7: 142 lb
April 21: 144 lb.

I'm 5'8" and I weigh myself after I wake up, pee, and poop to reduce inconsistencies and variances. For reference, I was 130 lb last August when I started posting here and lifting.
I also noticed every week since March 24, I was only able to go to the gym twice a week because I had exams and assignments; therefore less burned calories.

No, man...

4 lbs. is well within margin of error territory.

:x what's a good workout to get abs?

Good news: you already have abs.

Bad news: your excess fat tissue is preventing them from showing.

Best news: fix your diet and you'll get them. Now you don't have waste time doing thousands of situps to no avail.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hmm. I have no idea how many pull ups I can do. I can knock out at least ten, but I prefer doing like 5-6 weighted pull ups. Would one method provide more benefits over the other (reps vs weighted)?
I have a body weight day where I do 4 or 5 sets of ten along with muscle ups and a weighted day where it looks like this:

10x25
10x35
10x45
7or8x55
5or6x70

The weighted pull ups I do on back day Saturday and the body weight ones I do on Tuesday in between squats or DLs. If I had to keep just one method it would be weighted without a doubt. I don't see why both can't be utilized however.

The former. I am on SS and for sure I'll need to eat more to maintain progress, I was aware of that back in December when I was stuck at 100 lb squats.
And I guess that's that. I shouldn't worry too much about it lol. I just wasn't sure if 4lbs/month was considered fast or not. I might go to the 155 lb area and maintain there to see how my lifts go.

Thank you you two :)

Further reading:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

Note the "How Fast Can You Actually Gain Muscle Mass?" section.

:x what's a good workout to get abs?

Deadlifts, weighted crunches, kneeling cable crunches, and less fat.

I prefer cardio after lifting. As far as warm-ups go, you can try what you posted re: goblet squats, or you can do bodyweight squats. Get the muscles working but not fatigued enough to impact your work sets.

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Should warm ups be done for all the weight lifting exercises?

J. Bravo

I really enjoy doing hypertrophy work for upper body, and power work for lower body. upper body pumps are so satisfying. and squatting 2x bw or deadlifting 2.5x is dope af.

Cooter

I really enjoy doing hypertrophy work for upper body, and power work for lower body. upper body pumps are so satisfying. and squatting 2x bw or deadlifting 2.5x is dope af.
I don't know about that. I did hi rep chest and bis today and when I was done I felt anything but satisfied. Yeah, my arms felt like they were going to pop at any moment but the lack of heavy weight is not enjoyable for me personally.

agrajag

Banned
Do your guys' muscles ever twitch randomly? I'm sitting here watching the NBA playoff game and my left peck is just twitching away.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I need to hang out in this thread more often...
I've been working out for a couple years very lightly with no clear goal, but this January I decided I wanted to get big. So I tried.. And now my arms look huge and my chest is huge. My back is beautiful buuuutttt I still got a little of abelly going on. So I'm thinking its time to start cut season right?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Soooooooo I haven't done a weighted squat in about three years. I occasionally do body weight prison squats and a once a week run is all the leg work I do.
how do I start incorporating a leg workout into my current three day upper body regiment?
day 1 is triceps and chest
day 2 is back and biceps
and day 3 is shoulders and traps. I get a day or two of rest in between all of these. Also, I don't want huge legs. I just want some tone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Soooooooo I haven't done a weighted squat in about three years. I occasionally do body weight prison squats and a once a week run is all the leg work I do.
how do I start incorporating a leg workout into my current three day upper body regiment?
day 2 is back and biceps
and day 3 is shoulders and traps. I get a day or two of rest in between all of these. Also, I don't want huge legs. I just want some tone.

Well make sure to cross-check any advice you get here with bb.com - we've had a few people in the past get too big when they were just looking for tone, they got set up with a program that gave them too much WAY too fast. So do your due diligence and make sure to get a second opinion.

Cooter

day 2 is back and biceps

Add another day or tack it onto one of your existing days.

You won't get huge legs. Squat heavy and hard. If for some reason you wake up and realize your legs are too big for your taste (this is so foreign to me) lower the weight and don't push yourself. Tone is all dependent on body fat percentage so if you don't want them any bigger or stronger maybe skip squats and work on lowering your bf%.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Shoulder day has been feeling short recently so I guess I'm going to start up some light squats soon.
is squating enough or should some deadlifts be incorporated as well

Cooter

Shoulder day has been feeling short recently so I guess I'm going to start up some light squats soon.
is squating enough or should some deadlifts be incorporated as well

There is no definition for "enough." I highly recommend DLs but if you are not concerned with size or strength they are not necessary. All I do for legs are squats and DLs 3 times a week and I consider my legs plenty strong. Most people do more volume in the form of additional exercises but for an amateur weightlifter like most of us I don't really see the point.

I need to hang out in this thread more often...
I've been working out for a couple years very lightly with no clear goal, but this January I decided I wanted to get big. So I tried.. And now my arms look huge and my chest is huge. My back is beautiful buuuutttt I still got a little of abelly going on. So I'm thinking its time to start cut season right?

such modesty lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
well huge by my standards lol
I'm 5'8" 152lbs so I'm not really "big" but I'm liking what I'm having.

So you more mean lean.

Huge is huge. And even at 5 foot 8 152 isn't even close to huge.

It's great that you're happy with where you're at though.

First front squats coming back managed 355x1 and 315x20 BS after, quads are finished.

Even after a lay off strong as fuck.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I have a body weight day where I do 4 or 5 sets of ten along with muscle ups and a weighted day where it looks like this:

10x25
10x35
10x45
7or8x55
5or6x70

The weighted pull ups I do on back day Saturday and the body weight ones I do on Tuesday in between squats or DLs. If I had to keep just one method it would be weighted without a doubt. I don't see why both can't be utilized however.

But you're not human Coots :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

10x25
10x35
10x45
7or8x55
5or6x70

Jesus, man, you're like the pull up king. Have you always found yourself pretty good at them?

Also, how much time do you find you need to rest between sets? I feel like I need to rest much longer between pullup sets than most other exercises I've done.

RoeBear

I have a question about abs. Since mine are starting to show more I've noticed they don't like up symmetrically, is there anything I can do about this? Or is this just how they'll always be?

Cooter

Jesus, man, you're like the pull up king. Have you always found yourself pretty good at them?

Also, how much time do you find you need to rest between sets? I feel like I need to rest much longer between pullup sets than most other exercises I've done.

I started doing them 6 years ago at twenty eight. A lot of practice and possibly good athletic genetics?

Once I mastered the movement it became fairly easy for me. I'd say at least 2 years before I felt completely comfortable. Same amount of time for my squat also.

Rest time depends on my injury status and basic energy level. On a good day I will squat and go straight to the pull up bar. Then rest 2 or 3 minutes and repeat.

despire

Feel like a fat slob after the diet break AND Easter. Ate way too much junk over the last weekend. Weight is up and so is my waist. Hopefully it's mostly just water and bloating and I didn't gain too much lard. I guess I'll see by friday since diet is on again :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I started doing them 6 years ago at twenty eight. A lot of practice and possibly good athletic genetics?

Once I mastered the movement it became fairly easy for me. I'd say at least 2 years before I felt completely comfortable. Same amount of time for my squat also.

Rest time depends on my injury status and basic energy level. On a good day I will squat and go straight to the pull up bar. Then rest 2 or 3 minutes and repeat.

Encouraging for me since I'm 28 and just got started a couple of months after my birthday.

Totally do the same routine with doing a set of squats followed by pull ups (or overhead press on those days) and repeat.

I really enjoy pull ups, but would love to improve faster. Just with my body weight, I can do a good 10 to 15 or so overhand in the standard width grip or around 6 to 8 of the really wide grip ones always starting from and returning to a hanging position.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally. Gonna start building a home gym. Into a house I go!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Show billionaire Ted how it's done, moneybags!

You can find a lot of really nice equipment on craigslist, and troll your local gyms to see if they're going out of business and getting rid of any equipment.

That's the plan, Stan. My little brother, who lifts with me, said "well uh, if you're moving to a house why don't you get some money and get that home gym going" - I had never really considered it, but hell, I get a bar, a squat rack, a bench, some heavy shit, and I'm good to go.

Xater

Second day into the OP workout and I think I already hate squats. The most uncomfortable exercise I have ever done. That's probably why it works...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Second day into the OP workout and I think I already hate squats. The most uncomfortable exercise I have ever done. That's probably why it works...

It's possible you may be doing them wrong - what kind of squats are you doing? You might want to send a form check because even though some of it may be attributed to you just starting out, I don't think I'd ever classify squats as uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels WRONG if you're not doing them right or missing a crucial piece of your form. I think a form check should be important, but we've also got people who can offer a lot of advice here just with text if uploading a video isn't your thing.

Xater

It's possible you may be doing them wrong - what kind of squats are you doing? You might want to send a form check because even though some of it may be attributed to you just starting out, I don't think I'd ever classify squats as uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels WRONG if you're not doing them right or missing a crucial piece of your form. I think a form check should be important, but we've also got people who can offer a lot of advice here just with text if uploading a video isn't your thing.

They don't hurt or anything I just thing they are uncomfortable compared to all the other exercises. They are not really a natural form of motion for me.

Even without a bar I don't like squatting down. Hell while in Japan I always avoided those squatting toilets for that very reason. :p

That's the plan, Stan. My little brother, who lifts with me, said "well uh, if you're moving to a house why don't you get some money and get that home gym going" - I had never really considered it, but hell, I get a bar, a squat rack, a bench, some heavy shit, and I'm good to go.

lol...if only it were that simple

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They don't hurt or anything I just thing they are uncomfortable compared to all the other exercises. They are not really a natural form of motion for me.

Even without a bar I don't like squatting down. Hell while in Japan I always avoided those squatting toilets for that very reason. :p

I can understand the trepidation about their toilets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUF4xFFf6mQ

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What are the fees for Gaffers to come lift at Vince's Home Gym?

BYOW

Bring Your Own Whey. No cover. Need to hook one of them kinetic gimmicks up to the bench so we can generate electricity. Eco-Gym here we come.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can I do curls in your rack?

i8UKOwOPYuyJE.gif

Atkins is okay if you're looking to lose a tonne of weight. However, zero carb style of dieting for many people is difficult to do and can impact muscular gains as carbs assist with the nitrogen balance in your system, which when cutting carbs is adjust significantly causing a loss in muscle fibers.

A better approach, IMHO, is take your lean body mass (your weight minus your body fat), multiply that by 12, and only eat that many calories a day consisting of 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. That way you still get some carbs and fat in your system, but the decrease in those two with the high amount of protein will still allow for preserving your muscle mass while being on a caloric deficit. Then, throw in some strength training.

Others may feel different, but I've put that same split on athletes and soccer moms and it works.

Are you counting fiber towards carbs in this example or just net carbs?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Can you squat down deep while keeping both feet perfectly flat on the ground without any kind of support? A lot of westerners may not have that flexibility at first, but I think it's definitely important to get there before upping the weight on barbell squats.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Even after a lay off strong as fuck.

Lol that's refreshing to hear because I'm very critical and keep reminding myself that I'm a weak bitch.

Starting this for legs with the hope to hit 210lbs at my current bf and then I'll cut to 200.

Day 1: Front squats + a x20
Day 2: 5x10
Day 3: 5x3-5 heavy

Oh and Im gonna hit that 4 plate front squat again! /determined

Xater

Can you squat down deep while keeping both feet perfectly flat on the ground without any kind of support? A lot of westerners may not have that flexibility at first, but I think it's definitely important to get there before upping the weight on barbell squats.

I can but it requires some conscious effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom