• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

So a regional body building competitor has been instructing his girlfriend on squats, it is phenomenal. He is just brutal. "DOWN. DRIVE. DOWN. DRIVE. Rips out one earbud & yells - No half assed bullshit! What the fuck is this?" Meanwhile the girl looks like she is going to puke and cry. If that's not love, I don't know what is!

I've only been noticing due to the fact that he always has her work in on the front hooks on the power rack when I've been on the inside with the safety rails. I asked him if she was trying to compete alongside him and he said "Naw she just wants a bikini body, but if she wants my help I'm going to train her like I was trained". Ace.

The funniest part was a girl who was sitting on the leg extension machine while we were all squatting. Once a bar is clear she walks up and did zero warmups and went right to worksets of 1/4 ROM squats in her lame yoga pants and "PINK" tank top. Instantly self shamed lol.

I should have asked him what he was up to but I didn't want to pry as he's a busy dude, but he had a very interesting modified squat going on that I had never seen before. Heels very close together, raised up on a 45 lb plate, sets of 225 x 10. Then he put 8 plates on the Leg Press machine and put his back against the foot plate and his feet on the back plate and repped that out a few times. Mysterious.

I should have asked him what he was up to but I didn't want to pry as he's a busy dude, but he had a very interesting modified squat going on that I had never seen before. Heels very close together, raised up on a 45 lb plate, sets of 225 x 10. Then he put 8 plates on the Leg Press machine and put his back against the foot plate and his feet on the back plate and repped that out a few times. Mysterious.

Poor man's hack squat machine?

Tabasco

Last week I had a problem with my gym's members using all of the equipment for lifting which caused me to ruin my schedule.

This happens most of the time because I go to a gym that only charges $10 a month. I can't/don't want to go at an earlier/later time and when I go at the time I want to, it is usually jam packed.

I don't think I'll cancel my membership but I won't be lifting as much as I should.

ILoveBish

Last week I had a problem with my gym's members using all of the equipment for lifting which caused me to ruin my schedule.

This happens most of the time because I go to a gym that only charges $10 a month. I can't/don't want to go at an earlier/later time and when I go at the time I want to, it is usually jam packed.

I don't think I'll cancel my membership but I won't be lifting as much as I should.

This is why I go at 1am. And the new gym I go to is still packed at that hour.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Feedback wanted.

I've been tossing the idea around of getting a PT license and giving training a go. I'm 34 at a stable job with no real room for advancement. I took my current position after the mortgage market crashed and it was to be a temporary thing until my wife finished her nursing school. Well she'll be done in December and I'm staring to get restless here. I work with people who don't have front teeth and many who dropped out of high school. In no way do I think I am above them but I use these examples to offer perspective. I have a bachelor's and am honestly under utilizing my skills. It is an easy job with low stress which counts for a lot to me. However, I feel that I have been under achieving for years and that feeling takes a toll on you.

I realize how difficult it will be to start from scratch being a person trainer. That being said, I know I have all the necessary skills to succeed eventually. Skills like good communication, patience, listening, and the ability to motivate are all strengths of mine. I'm a little worried about getting clients to the point of self reliance and feeling like I should cut them loose even though from a business and career aspect it would be counterproductive.

Advice (Veezy) from anyone and everyone is welcomed. What draws me to the switch is the ability to increase income while doing something I enjoy, helping people.

sometimes you just have to suck it up. i started going at 5am 2-3x a week because home/family man commitments were just taking up too much time after work.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you guys live in the Chicago area? I'm moving there soon and am looking for a good gym in the downtown area (I'll be living in River North and am not interested in driving out to the suburbs or taking a 30 min L ride to go lift). I know of a few but they're pretty pricey, so I'm hoping someone might know of a hidden gem.

RoeBear

Feedback wanted.

I say go for it. You just really need to research on where you would train your clients. Most gyms around me require that you have to work for a specific company and can't independently train people at the gym unless you do it through them.

My friend who is certified said the best thing to do is talk to the gym and ask if you can just use their facilities so long as you and your clients have memberships.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Feedback wanted.

I've been tossing the idea around of getting a PT license and giving training a go. I'm 34 at a stable job with no real room for advancement. I took my current position after the mortgage market crashed and it was to be a temporary thing until my wife finished her nursing school. Well she'll be done in December and I'm staring to get restless here. I work with people who don't have front teeth and many who dropped out of high school. In no way do I think I am above them but I use these examples to offer perspective. I have a bachelor's and am honestly under utilizing my skills. It is an easy job with low stress which counts for a lot to me. However, I feel that I have been under achieving for years and that feeling takes a toll on you.

I realize how difficult it will be to start from scratch being a person trainer. That being said, I know I have all the necessary skills to succeed eventually. Skills like good communication, patience, listening, and the ability to motivate are all strengths of mine. I'm a little worried about getting clients to the point of self reliance and feeling like I should cut them loose even though from a business and career aspect it would be counterproductive.

Advice (Veezy) from anyone and everyone is welcomed. What draws me to the switch is the ability to increase income while doing something I enjoy, helping people.

Start polishing those Swiss balls!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cooter start your own place.

Striation Station

cmon man this is your chance!

Feedback wanted.

do it up.

Start with a youtube series!

Feedback wanted.

Do it my friend. Even if it's just for fun and you don't plan to go anywhere. Life is too short. If you're even a bit passionate about sharing your love of fitness with others, it is worth it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Feedback wanted.

Become a trainer at my gym. Get paid to watch clients use the workout machines and do pushups on the smith machine bar.

Feedback wanted.

Do it. I have no other advice.

P44

Been sort of going along for 2 weeks, seen some increases in my lifts, still enjoying it, just a few questions.

The SL 5x5 guy says to touch the bar to chest during a barbell row but I'm finding it's not the weight that's stopping me do that, rather my arms won't bend backwards that far. Is taking the bar to the height which corresponds to the upper limit of the elbow flex okay form wise for this lift?

Also, when I bench, the bar is shakey as /hell/ should I stay at purely bar weight for the bench press until I can lift it steadily? Any good videos for bench press form? I'm pushing shoulder blades back and squeezing glutes and arching lower back it's just I guess I'd like to see a more comprehensive breakdown.

I've noticed my knees pop every time I do a squat. No pain but I can feel it pop. They've always done that. Should I consult a doctor before continuing doing squats? Anybody else have this problem?

Chocobro

FE posted it already, sir.

I've noticed my knees pop every time I do a squat. No pain but I can feel it pop. They've always done that. Should I consult a doctor before continuing doing squats? Anybody else have this problem?
It also happens to me but it goes away after my warm-up sets and first working set (pops/cracks maybe once or twice throughout the whole thing). I've been squatting for roughly 8 months.
I didn't think about consulting with a doctor because there's no pain. It might be a good idea for you to check just in case though.

Cooter

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to start looking into it and talk to the owner of my gym. I was watching the trainers today extra closely and I swear most of them have their clients doing so many exercises that are not maximizing their time spent there. Not to mention their insistence on using the smith machine. What is it with so called experts instructing poor innocent newbies to spend so much time on the freaking Smith machine? I don't get it. Also saw 2 different trainers having their clients benching with their knees in the air. smh..

UraMallas

The OP recommends Starting Strength as a book for beginners but I don't see anything about diet in the description on Amazon. Is there a good book for beginners that also has information about easy, healthy meals that help with building muscle?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to start looking into it and talk to the owner of my gym. I was watching the trainers today extra closely and I swear most of them have their clients doing so many exercises that are not maximizing their time spent there. Not to mention their insistence on using the smith machine. What is it with so called experts instructing poor innocent newbies to spend so much time on the freaking Smith machine? I don't get it. Also saw 2 different trainers having their clients benching with their knees in the air. smh..

Keep your clients longer doing stuff like that. Evilore has a lot to say about it if you want to know more about the general sham that is personal trainers. Good ones are rare, bad ones make more money because they enforce dependence on their presence. Bad shit.

Cooter

Keep your clients longer doing stuff like that. Evilore has a lot to say about it if you want to know more about the general sham that is personal trainers. Good ones are rare, bad ones make more money because they enforce dependence on their presence. Bad shit.
Yes, this is very apparent and frustrating to witness. The question is, can you be honest and upfront with clients and still be successful?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yes, this is very apparent and frustrating to witness. The question is, can you be honest and upfront with clients and still be successful?

The problem is you're gonna have to be a trainer AND a coach if you want to keep clients. And to be a coach you're gonna need to show you are someone to be desired as a coach (winning shit, competing, having people who do both).

The way you want to train people is going to do exactly what you're afraid of. They will get self dependent and no longer "need you." You're going to have a revolving door. Where you're going to have a stable client base is actually coaching people competing and having them compete (and hopefully winning.)

Also trainers use the smith machine a lot because clients are afraid of free weights it's familiar and it seems safer.

Same reason a lot of newbies stay on the smith and machines.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I turned a new leaf today guys, I trained biceps.

Traps look fucking ridiculous right now...wtf. Buddy measured for fun, 3" unflexed from my ears and 2" flexed...

Tonight's meal

10eggs
5cups broccoli
avocado
2 "health" multi grain toast
chocolate milk

Cooter

The problem is you're gonna have to be a trainer AND a coach if you want to keep clients. And to be a coach you're gonna need to show you are someone to be desired as a coach (winning shit, competing, having people who do both).

The way you want to train people is going to do exactly what you're afraid of. They will get self dependent and no longer "need you." You're going to have a revolving door. Where you're going to have a stable client base is actually coaching people competing and having them compete (and hopefully winning.)

Also trainers use the smith machine a lot because clients are afraid of free weights it's familiar and it seems safer.

Same reason a lot of newbies stay on the smith and machines.
Isn't the job of a good trainer to erase that fear and have them trust you when you say the smith machine is not ideal? What I'm afraid of with this endeavor is exactly what you stated. I think a good trainer gets a client to a point where they can take what they have learned and apply it to the rest of their fitness life. This would mean I am constantly losing clients however. I won't purposely impede someone's progress for my financial gain. This may be why it may not be wise to pursue this field. Don't know?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I turned a new leaf today guys, I trained biceps.

Traps look fucking ridiculous right now...wtf. Buddy measured for fun, 3" unflexed from my ears and 2" flexed...

Tonight's meal

10eggs
5cups broccoli
avocado
2 "health" multi grain toast
chocolate milk

How do you cook your eggs? Just a big scramble?

The OP recommends Starting Strength as a book for beginners but I don't see anything about diet in the description on Amazon. Is there a good book for beginners that also has information about easy, healthy meals that help with building muscle?

Unfortunately, this is similar to asking if there's a good religion to help with going down the path of enlightenment or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Isn't the job of a good trainer to erase that fear and have them trust you when you say the smith machine is not ideal? What I'm afraid of with this endeavor is exactly what you stated. I think a good trainer gets a client to a point where they can take what they have learned and apply it to the rest of their fitness life. This would mean I am constantly losing clients however. I won't purposely impede someone's progress for my financial gain. This may be why it may not be wise to pursue this field. Don't know?

There's a few reasons I wouldn't peruse it. You're gonna turn something you love into a job where you're making money for someone else where it will probably become some perverted version of what you envision it being now. You're going to have to compromise some of your ideals and you're going to have a lot of shit head clients. Ones who will lie to you and refuse to do things you want them to do (perhaps even using free weights).

This career choice may even make you love "fitness" less.

The only thing I'd ever do in this vein is open my own gym. I'd never, ever want to be a "trainer." A coach? Maybe when I have th experience and qualifications. But never a trainer.

That's just me.

Cooter

There's a few reasons I wouldn't peruse it. You're gonna turn something you love into a job where you're making money for someone else where it will probably become some perverted version of what you envision it being now. You're going to have to compromise some of your ideals and you're going to have a lot of shit head clients. Ones who will lie to you and refuse to do things you want them to do (perhaps even using free weights).

This career choice may even make you love "fitness" less.

The only thing I'd ever do in this vein is open my own gym. I'd never, ever want to be a "trainer." A coach? Maybe when I have th experience and qualifications. But never a trainer.

That's just me.
All things I've thought about.

I would love to open a gym if I had the capital. I really would. Unfortunately I'm not even close to being in a position to consider it.

Thanks for feedback.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All things I've thought about.

I would love to open a gym if I had the capital. I really would. Unfortunately I'm not even close to being in a position to consider it.

Thanks for feedback.

No problem bud, and if you do decide to be a trainer your clients will be lucky to have you, even if they don't know it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
How do you cook your eggs? Just a big scramble?

Ya I scramble my eggs, easiest way to swallow cooked. Sometimes I put ketchup so I can eat it faster too.

Wow my meal was only 1600-1700cals...gonna eat half a tub of Reese's ice cream or something, doesn't even feel like I ate anything.

I really would want to open my own gym as well. With a focus on curbing obesity, but I just don't think I could do it. I don't know next to a damn thing about business, law, etc. Nor do I have friends to work with on this. Just a dream idea.

Cooter

I really would want to open my own gym as well. With a focus on curbing obesity, but I just don't think I could do it. I don't know next to a damn thing about business, law, etc. Nor do I have friends to work with on this. Just a dream idea.
Money is what you need. You can hire a lawyer and other people's services. You need money to make money. That saying is and always will be true. :/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, got me some more questions.

1) A few weeks ago, I reached my a new maximum for my squats, which was 150 lbs. Now, I struggled quite a bit, but was able to complete all my sets/reps. Yet, ever since then I haven't been able to replicate it. I'd have to lower it to 135 lbs. before I can suitably complete my workout. It's bothering the shit out of me. It's not like I'm injured or still sore from the previous workout or anything. I feel completely fine, and yet I'm struggling to achieve those numbers again. And it's been over a month since then. Is that normal?

2) Since I've started working out back in September, I've stuck to mostly compound lifts, as that was the recommended advice from this thread. I was wondering if it would be okay to add additional/supplementary ab work outs?

despire

Cooter have you thought about having online clients also? That would greatly expand the possible list of people who could hire you.

Also there are a lot of succesfull trainers who don't aim for repeated clients. All the best will equip their clients with enough info to continue on their own after the process is over. For example Andy Morgan (rippedbody.jp), Martin Berkhan etc...

Having enough clients offline might be hard unless you do it like every bad PT in does. If you go online also and get the snowball rolling you could end up in a situation where you don't need repeated business because you get enough new clients coming in. So you would have the regular face-to-face clients who you can train personally in a gym and also people could hire you online. You would just need a a website and good word of mouth. Also the youtube channel might be a good idea to get some visibility.

But this is just my two cents..

Pakoe

Okay, got me some more questions.

1) A few weeks ago, I reached my a new maximum for my squats, which was 150 lbs. Now, I struggled quite a bit, but was able to complete all my sets/reps. Yet, ever since then I haven't been able to replicate it. I'd have to lower it to 135 lbs. before I can suitably complete my workout. It's bothering the shit out of me. It's not like I'm injured or still sore from the previous workout or anything. I feel completely fine, and yet I'm struggling to achieve those numbers again. And it's been over a month since then. Is that normal?

2) Since I've started working out back in September, I've stuck to mostly compound lifts, as that was the recommended advice from this thread. I was wondering if it would be okay to add additional/supplementary ab work outs?

Always do abs, i do them three times a week but you can get away with just once too. Friend of mine always skipped them and now his midsection is lacking way behind the rest of his body. It's gonna take him a while to get it on level too, so might as well start early.

I seem to recall that SS doesn't include any diet-related material as you've mentioned. What are your goals right now? Are you trying to lower your body fat (lose weight) or build muscle?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You can add ab workouts. As far as stalling on squats, maybe you're not eating or resting enough?

Always do abs, i do them three times a week but you can get away with just once too. Friend of mine always skipped them and now his midsection is lacking way behind the rest of his body. It's gonna take him a while to get it on level too, so might as well start early.

What are some good exercises for that?

Az

I for the life of me cannot improve my bench numbers. Thinking about buying a bench for home too, just as an extra workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom