• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think I have found the key to maintaining size while leaning out for my body. I'm convinced that peanut butter is THE magic elixir. Last spring and summer when I was gaining strength while not putting on fat my diet was PB heavy. These past 2 weeks I've stepped up my PB intake and I my size has seemed to fill out more than previous months. Maybe it's the sudden increase of good fats my body responds well to? Not sure what it is but I'm confident that it makes a difference. So eat your peanut butter like your gains depend on it!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Peanut butter is one of the best flavors on the planet, I'll cosign it about anything. <3 PB. <3 mint. two flavors of all time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I dunno, based on the wikipedia article the only difference is that the Canadian versions contain no Propylene Glycol, which is kind of funny because that is a completely inert carrier ingredient used in thousands of products meant for topical application as well as ingestion. I would suggest against the product from the standpoint that distilled water is perfectly fine as is and needs no artificial dyes or flavorings to be tolerable, also considering the fact that they are owned by Kraft. Yeuuuchhh. Near as I can tell synthetic crap is the only thing in them.

Thanks! I am probably just going to use the one I bought then never buy it again. Shame because it does taste pretty good! :p

And hurray, our office is getting a 10% discount at a local nutrition store and we're selling Quest Bars $3.25/pop (expensive, but it's the convenience!) I've never had these before, I got the cocout cashew flavor. First impression is very good.

Xater

So the knee thing I mentioned earlier was apparently nothing. Went away on the same day. After my workout on Monday I got this pain in my right outer thigh.

The marked area here:

a20236945al03.jpg

Should I not do squats and power cleans tomorrow and wait until it clears up? A squatting motion definitely still hurts. Walking is totally fine.

Pete Rock

Should I not do squats and power cleans tomorrow and wait until it clears up? A squatting motion definitely still hurts. Walking is totally fine.
Foam Roll your IT band, will probably clear it up. Sounds common and is something I experienced significantly before incorporating a roller. I'd say roll it out today and see how you feel tomorrow, if the pain is more dull/spread out and less intense/focused than I'd say hit the sets like normal.

Xater

Foam Roll your IT band, will probably clear it up. Sounds common and is something I experienced significantly before incorporating a roller. I'd say roll it out today and see how you feel tomorrow, if the pain is more dull/spread out and less intense/focused than I'd say hit the sets like normal.

I don't have a foam roller. Any other thing I can do?

edit: Can I use a rolling pin? Serious question.

Cudder

Morning Fitness GAF, just got back into a gym and I'm looking for a decent Android app to log and record my reps and weights lifted, measure progress over time, add exercises into custom workouts to save as my routines etc. Via search I've seen Jefit mentioned, and this seems to do everything I need but are there any others that I should check out?

FitNotes

rage1973

I think I have found the key to maintaining size while leaning out for my body. I'm convinced that peanut butter is THE magic elixir. Last spring and summer when I was gaining strength while not putting on fat my diet was PB heavy. These past 2 weeks I've stepped up my PB intake and I my size has seemed to fill out more than previous months. Maybe it's the sudden increase of good fats my body responds well to? Not sure what it is but I'm confident that it makes a difference. So eat your peanut butter like your gains depend on it!

I would be careful of peanuts.
It has been known to be a big gut irritant and increase inflammation.
There is a reason why so many people are so allergic to peanuts.

Cooter

I would be careful of peanuts.
It has been known to be a big gut irritant and increase inflammation.
There is a reason why so many people are so allergic to peanuts.
Hmmm. I've been eating large quantities for years without issues? I'm guessing I would be well aware of any problems but I'll monitor things extra close. Thanks.

Cooter

So I tried widening my stance on squats today. Could only manage 260x5. Trying to sit back more. I always appreciate some spots if something looks off
Looks absolutely perfect to me. I have a wide stance also. Really feel like it gives me great stability and recruits my hips and butt extra well.

SeanR1221

Looks absolutely perfect to me. I have a wide stance also. Really feel like it gives me great stability and recruits my hips and butt extra well.

Appreciate the input. Things definitely felt more stable and my knees didn't cave. Just couldn't get as many reps as usual. Always fun checking the ego to improve form!

Cooter

Appreciate the input. Things definitely felt more stable and my knees didn't cave. Just couldn't get as many reps as usual. Always fun checking the ego to improve form!
It's only temporary until you get comfortable with the movement. I expect the change to net you higher numbers once you get used to it.

Veezy

que?
He had a rag on his forehead and placed the plate flat on the rag. Was laying perpendicular on the bench with his neck off the edge and was just curling it towards his chest. Used hands to stabilize the weight a bit.

Neck work is legit. Don't wanna get knocked the fuck out if you get hit in the head.

However, I will say using a harness and just doing the back of the neck and the sides is probably more sufficient for getting a thick neck than curling forward.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a dude at my gym working his neck and I hadn't seen anyone else do it before, flipped the fuck out thinking he was trying to hang himself.

Put a harness on the lat pulldown machine and jumped up in there. From the angle I was at, it appeared like he was trying to strangle himself. About had a conniption as I hauled ass over to him to realize what he was doing a moment too late. Looked like a fool.

rage1973

Neck work is legit. Don't wanna get knocked the fuck out if you get hit in the head.

However, I will say using a harness and just doing the back of the neck and the sides is probably more sufficient for getting a thick neck than curling forward.

Now only that but lot of people have neck issues so it's good to strengthen the muscles directly

Not sure of the brand, but I can spot a velcro belt from mile away. That's definitely neoprene and velcro. I have one incredibly similar to that by Schiek that's worked for all my lists as In not big enough in the gut for a real deal leather beast from EliteFTS.

Well yeah just can't tell the brand.

grumble

A week back in the gym and I tear a hamstring benching. That's what I get for using the stairclimber to warm up and not the rower. I'm cursed to be forever unfit.

Minor tear, more of a tweak really but I'll be out of commission on the lower body for a while until it heals up. Body weight squats at home every day so it heals right.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A week back in the gym and I tear a hamstring benching. That's what I get for using the stairclimber to warm up and not the rower. I'm cursed to be forever unfit.

Minor tear, more of a tweak really but I'll be out of commission on the lower body for a while until it heals up. Body weight squats at home every day so it heals right.

How the hell?

Gonna get my wisdom teeth removed on thursday, I wanted to lift!

I'll be getting fat on chocolate milk all weekend, at least that will enjoyable. Suggestions welcome

Cooter

I'm back on the muscle up train after many months of a forced break. They felt great with no pain whatsoever. I forgot how much more challenging squats are when you crank out muscle ups and pull ups in between. Damn, towards the end I was practically out of breath!

Sadetar

Hello there you workout gods and goddesses!

I am not entirely sure am I on the right place at the moment. Please point me to the right direction if I am totally lost.

I would like to lose fat, gain muscles and get all in all in better shape. I can't do free weights cause of back issues, but my physiotherapist gave me permission to start to go to gym on early March. She is adorable human being and did me a gym programme that I am following and also on her free time joined me when I went first time in my life to the gym to show what weights I should use and to get the right technique.

I have had issues with my back 1,5 years and doctors argue what is causing it. The main problem is most likely with one or two disks that cause nerve pain to both of my legs.

After the back problems I have done everything that my physiotherapist has said me to do. She has also been the biggest motivation in my life what comes to work out and sports.

I have done core muscle training at least every other day 1,5 years. I started walking around the same time and jogging last year's April. On August I started to go to pilates classes every week and and to gym 7 weeks ago. So basicly every time my back has become a bit better we have just added something to the work out rutine.

At the moment I go to gym once a week, pilates once a week and jogging twice a week. I might change it to gym twice a week, pilates once a week and jogging once a week. On top of that I do core muscle training with a training ball every other day at home. I started to keep food diary last Friday to better keep track of what I am actually consuming.

I really love going to gym! It is always delighful to notice when I don't get that easily out of breath with things that used to kill me or when I can add weights.

What I am seeking from here (or some other thread) is just to share my noobie enthusiasm and excitement and keep the motivation up.
Also discussion about work-out bras wouldn't bother me. I have noticed some people like to squeeze their tits as small as they can since they hurt, but I don't have that kind of problems though. I can go jogging even without bras if I need to. Should I still invest to some proper work-out bras (every other work out gear is top notchs) if they don't bother me in any way? And if so, where I could find them? I kinda have like DD cup.

Tabasco

I have a hard time deciding on whether or not I want to keep my gym membership.

I'm just not motivated enough to go all out and do all the necessary weight lifting to get in shape. The reason being is that I've been wasting my time going and nothing has really come from it, which has been around half a year.

I do feel pretty chubby, but I just don't want to let myself go and gain an insane amount of pounds if I stop exercising. It's not that bad right now, but I worry about the future.

If someone can steer me in the right direction with this, that would be appreciated. I have to decide soon because my bank account gets charged every month.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hello there you workout gods and goddesses!

I am not entirely sure am I on the right place at the moment. Please point me to the right direction if I am totally lost.

I would like to lose fat, gain muscles and get all in all in better shape. I can't do free weights cause of back issues, but my physiotherapist gave me permission to start to go to gym on early March. She is adorable human being and did me a gym programme that I am following and also on her free time joined me when I went first time in my life to the gym to show what weights I should use and to get the right technique.

I have had issues with my back 1,5 years and doctors argue what is causing it. The main problem is most likely with one or two disks that cause nerve pain to both of my legs.

After the back problems I have done everything that my physiotherapist has said me to do. She has also been the biggest motivation in my life what comes to work out and sports.

I have done core muscle training at least every other day 1,5 years. I started walking around the same time and jogging last year's April. On August I started to go to pilates classes every week and and to gym 7 weeks ago. So basicly every time my back has become a bit better we have just added something to the work out rutine.

At the moment I go to gym once a week, pilates once a week and jogging twice a week. I might change it to gym twice a week, pilates once a week and jogging once a week. On top of that I do core muscle training with a training ball every other day at home. I started to keep food diary last Friday to better keep track of what I am actually consuming.

I really love going to gym! It is always delighful to notice when I don't get that easily out of breath with things that used to kill me or when I can add weights.

What I am seeking from here (or some other thread) is just to share my noobie enthusiasm and excitement and keep the motivation up.
Also discussion about work-out bras wouldn't bother me. I have noticed some people like to squeeze their tits as small as they can since they hurt, but I don't have that kind of problems though. I can go jogging even without bras if I need to. Should I still invest to some proper work-out bras (every other work out gear is top notchs) if they don't bother me in any way? And if so, where I could find them? I kinda have like DD cup.

Can you detail your diet and breakdown? Do you track what you eat?

Zoe

Your boobs are going to stretch out and sag if you try to jog without a bra at that size.

Cooter

I'm just not motivated enough to go all out and do all the necessary weight lifting to get in shape. The reason being is that I've been wasting my time going and nothing has really come from it, which has been around half a year.

I do feel pretty chubby, but I just don't want to let myself go and gain an insane amount of pounds if I stop exercising. It's not that bad right now, but I worry about the future.

If someone can steer me in the right direction with this, that would be appreciated. I have to decide soon because my bank account gets charged every month.

We can't steer you anywhere if you can't motivate yourself. I would really focus on diet and limiting yourself all the bad stuff. Doing this really helps me stay motivated at the gym because hell, if I'm putting all the effort into eating right I'm sure as hell going to make it worth it. But that's just me.

Count your calories. Be serious about what you put in your mouth. Make a pact with yourself to consume a certain number of calories a day and take any day you fail as a personal knock on your willpower. Don't let yourself down and if you do there should be real disappointment inside.

Chocobro

I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction and/or refresh my memory.
If I recall correctly, there talk about eggs and cholesterol talk back in OT5. Is it fine to eat three eggs or more eggs a day? I also recall someone here saying blood cholesterol is different from dietary cholesterol so there isn't a problem with consuming a lot of eggs.

_Isaac

What exactly have you been doing for the past year? Did you pick a proven routine and stick to it? I seem to remember you just lifted casually, and you didn't really increase the weight. Before you let go of the gym, you should really take a look at one of the beginner routines in the OP and actually stick to it 100% and that includes diet. Don't add on to it, and don't modify it. Just do it like it's written. If this is really something you want, then you have to actually give it a shot. You'll start seeing progress, and that should make you feel good and motivated.

I recall you were upset about the equipment constantly being used. Why can't you go at a different time exactly? I'm not sure if you've already said. I also hate crowded gyms, so I quit going in the afternoons. I go early mornings, and it's soooo nice when I have certain sections of the gym all to myself. I also don't feel as self-conscious.

Sadetar

Can you detail your diet and breakdown? Do you track what you eat?
Well, my back problems started with a numbness on the front thigh. Once in a while it would be numb and then back to normal. I was stupid, ignorant, busy with university and didn't think much of it. Then one day it just turned into huge nerve pain in the backside of my thighs. It could change side or be on both at the same time. This is according to my doc very rare, but the problem is most likely quite middle so it can reflect the nerve pain down to both sides.

After that I started to work out more, since I decided that anything I can do sportwise can't hurt as much as the nerve pain without it. It has mainly become better but there was one time last year's September when after our week meeting at work I got up in a wrong way from the chair and found myself crying on the floor. Basicly after that accident I have been eating one or two painkillers nearly daily. I try to get away from that though. I can still work out and so forth. I have just a very low pain threshold what comes to chronic pain.

I started to keep a food diary last Friday and I do have quite good idea what I am eating (and also what I have been eating). I don't still weight my food. I might start doing that, if there is no progress without.

This is what I generally eat on daily basis and I try to stick on it (couple cheats here and there, I admit):

Breakfast:
- Truly Chocolate Orac Energy Greens drink ( mix the powder in around 0,4 l of water and drink it )
- ~100 grams of quark (dairy product) 2,3 % fat with couple walnuts, linen seeds and dried berry powders (mix of cloudberry, sea buckthorn and blueberry at the moment)
- if I am at work also a cup of coffee with a hint of milk (no sugar)

Lunch:
- oven made chicken breast (or low fat red meat or for example halloumi cheese but very rarely) with either self-made yoghurt sauce 3,5 % fat or self-made salad dressing (with omega-oil mix) plus salad / oven veggies / tomatoes / cucumber...
- couple rye crisps
- sometimes bit of cheese or something to spice it up

Snack:
- usually an apple or something similar

Dinner:
- Quite much same as lunch

Supper:
- this is my weak point
- it can be fruits, yoghurt, quark, oatmeal with milk or even bread with toppings

I can drink organic non fat milk now and then if I have remembered to buy it.

What comes to the diet I haven't really read anything about it or anything, so I mainly eat things that I enjoy eating and have tried to get a healthier version of them. Thank gods I love salads and chicken. :p Also during holidays I don't stick to that and I can eat cakes and what not if it is someone's birthday.

I am also very bad with going to bed (like right now, it is nearly 7 am) so I know I should concentrade on having enough sleep. This is also the reason why supper can be very poor quality...

Your boobs are going to stretch out and sag if you try to jog without a bra at that size.
I do wear a bra. I was more referring to the fact that they don't hurt at all even if I would be without. I just don't have one of those fancy work-out bras. Can you recommend any particular bra model or brand? Now I am thinking should I actually go and try to hunt down a pair. It is just pain in the ass to find my size. I am waiting my tits to get smaller and my ass bigger.

I also assume that I have quite much muscles under them, since ( don't know proper words for it) but I can "lift" them and hop them up and down with muscles. I saw a lad doing this and was amazed that I could actually do the same. (Sorry if information overload.)

_Isaac

So I tried chin ups the other day. Heh. I couldn't even do one. I'm way too heavy for my weak arms. Should I just do the assisted chin ups or do I just wait until I get a little stronger? My gym has this little pad where you can put your knees and it can help you a bit, but I don't know if those are any good. I am doing the SS routine btw.

One of these:
3f4nAQf.jpg

Had Ezekiel Bread for the first time today. Not too bad.

Also solid day at the gym for deadlifts

4x4 @ 355 lbs
1x2 @ 405 lbs
1x3 @ 460 lbs
1x10 @ 355 lbs

And then a crap ton of other back work. Feeling faaaaaaaaaantastic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It appears that you missed this post, man:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=109264227#post109264227

I don't know what you want. People gave you plenty of advice a few pages back. It's not the exercise that will keep you from blowing up. You need to clean up your diet. While you do that, incorporate sensible weight training.

It really isn't difficult if you can find the motivation to care about your own body. You only get one in life.

Cooper

I do wear a bra. I was more referring to the fact that they don't hurt at all even if I would be without. I just don't have one of those fancy work-out bras. Can you recommend any particular bra model or brand? Now I am thinking should I actually go and try to hunt down a pair. It is just pain in the ass to find my size. I am waiting my tits to get smaller and my ass bigger.

You wear just a regular bra and not a sports bra? You'll definitely want a sports bra. More support, plus more resistant to sweat. I don't wear particularly "fancy" ones like Lululemon or whatnot. I have a Nike and two Filas, and they all do the job. I have a small cup size though, so Idon't know how well theyfit in larger sizes.

y2dvd

So I tried chin ups the other day. Heh. I couldn't even do one. I'm way too heavy for my weak arms. Should I just do the assisted chin ups or do I just wait until I get a little stronger? My gym has this little pad where you can put your knees and it can help you a bit, but I don't know if those are any good. I am doing the SS routine btw.

One of these:
3f4nAQf.jpg

You probably haven't kept up with my post on this thread of course but I posted several weeks ago I couldn't even do one chin up. I can do 5 reps of a few sets now but it was 5 more than I could've done weeks ago lol. I honestly just started by hanging onto the bar as long as a could, not even trying to lift myself up quite yet. It helps build grip strength, which I was heavily lacking. Then I would do reps of hanging there for 5-10 seconds. I did this for several days. Once I thought my grip was good, I attempted the chin ups. It's slow progress but I'm doing more than zero now so I'll take it lol.

Pete Rock

I can't do free weights cause of back issues, but my physiotherapist gave me permission to start to go to gym on early March.

It's important that you have a positive reinforcement in your PT. For what it's worth I had a handful of herniated discs in the lower lumbar spine and all my doctors told me I would never be able to lift weights again. What they did recommend was light jogging and all sorts of other activities that put a lot of shock damage and wear on those areas without improving the surrounding tissue functionality or reducing inflammation whatsoever.

Blood heals, fluid exchange heals. I see that you do Pilates which is fantastic, but I would also suggest that you seriously consider taking up Yoga practice. Start small, once a week class sessions, then every other day with a routine you build that is 60% general focus and 40% problem area focus, then once in the mornings, etc. I think you will be quite surprised in a few months, and as you start to feel less nerve pain and more localized pain you can begin to safely incorporate strength training with free weights to keep the positive healing cycles going.

A regular diet and sleep schedule and your day to day level of activity will also be huge factors here. You need to gravitate away from sitting or laying for long hours with poor posture, even if it is something that you consider "relaxing" or "down time".

I should also say that in my experience doctors (gp, pt, surgeon, etc) will always argue about what causes something. The point is it's irrelevant. I never had any traumatic injury, I "earned" my bulging discs through 16 hours on a computer with poor posture every day for a decade. You need to move forward and eliminate habits that, while they may have "caused" it, are more importantly currently exacerbating the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom