• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lost so much weight, back down to a 32 waist... been thinking about stopping for so long, but I keep looking in the mirror and thinking I'm still fat.

You're fat bro. I'm waste 31 and I'm still obese.

To be honest this is the first time in my life I start to feel comfortable with my body. You surely look great bro

So...my monthly gym membership has been $50/month. Is that generally higher than what most gyms charge?

I use my free campus gym, but my fiancee pays $20/month and a once a year $40 "account fee" for a membership at Charter Fitness... But, she can bring anyone she wants with her for free each time, so she brings me often for free. If she didn't want the guest privileges (plus a few other perks that come with the $20/month membership) she could get by on their $10/month plan. Either plan is the absolute best rate I've ever seen for any gym in my entire life.

J. Bravo

So...my monthly gym membership has been $50/month. Is that generally higher than what most gyms charge?
70 somethin at mine. Lifetime fitness. I work there tho so its free. But even if I didn't worn there I would pay the cost. I'm here probably 20 hours a week not working lol.

I just increased 5lbs after dinner "D

EDIT: 6 pounds after Oreos and chocolate bar! What is happening to me?

Need to bulk because tomorrow is wisdom teeth day and it'll be milk and casein all weekend.

Rough day at the gym. Decided to try to do flat bb bench last today and just didn't go well lol. At least my incline bb/db is increasing nicely.

I remember Darth once saying instagram made progress pics better, so I gave it a try and well... I guess so, lol, the light/shadow effects are nice but sadly, they don't create or put muscle in the picture that doesn't exist already, hahaha.

they do add a nice black frame to the pic, at least, lol

gafinstagram1_zpsd4b4d92f.jpg

gafinstagram2_zps31938d12.jpg

anyone else tried stuff with it?

instagram filters give you a -5% bodyfat bonus

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am doing exactly that at the moment! Yay! I started keeping food diary on Friday. I have put everything to it, everything.

Good to notice that it is something I should actually be doing. Oh and hey thank you! When you have been asking things about diet and so forth it has made me also more aware of them and have forced me to think them through.

Being aware of your actual diet is a really important thing. Let us know how your caloric intake ends up and try to find your maintenance calories, or at least a ballpark figure. There's multiple ways to find out but the best is a BF%, and you gotta be honest with yourself about it to get the best results.

PBY

Banned
500 mg caffeine
Shoulder day

3 hours later-
Ima we aches and chills
99.4 fever getting worse.

Nothing else. Help

Xater

Thigh pain seems to be gone today. So that's good.

I also learned yesterday that I really can't do overhead shoulder presses. It seems like even just the bar is too heavy for me. I get like 2-3 reps in and that's it. Maybe I should start doing shoulder presses with lighter dumbbells? Thoughts?

Not sure if I'm better off asking this when the thread gets busier later, but what the hell..

Do many people plateau with weight? I seem to be stuck at 14 stone dead on no matter what I do. I came back from a 2 week break where I ate all sorts of shit. 14 stone. Before that I was lifting heavy, plus a lot of assistance work and swimming, all 4 days a week - 14 stone. Now for the last 2 weeks, I've been doing the same, only I'm running twice a week on top. 14 fucking stone.

All of this is ontop of a calorie controlled diet of just over 2000 on rest days and 2600 on workout days consisting of 40% Protein, 35% carbs and 25% fat. I got these macros from the 1percentedge link in the OP.

Last year I did get to just under 13.5 stone but I was running 3 times a week, running at least 6 miles each time. But this year I want to concentrate on getting bigger and lifting heavier but for the love of God, I can't shift this belly/lower back fat I have. And my BF% is around 18% too. It's a very odd look I have.

Hold on, could this be because I workout first thing in the morning?

sphinx

the piano man
EDIT: nevermind this

You're fat bro. I'm waste 31 and I'm still obese.

you guys mean, size of pants? I just bought a pair of jeans 31/31 and I don't think that puts me on obese area, sure I am chunky and have a considerable BF% specially compared to abs-GAF but I don't think anyone would label me fat/obese/etc.

are you guys serious?

grumble

can someone point me to reputable sources regarding nutrition for someone trying to build up muscle? preferably one that mentions actual food instead of general suggestion for macrosplits?

I've been on this for a while but I need some remainders and just plain keep reading.

you guys mean, size of pants? I just bought a pair of jeans 31/31 and I don't think that puts me on obese area, sure I am chunky and have a considerable BF% specially compared to abs-GAF but I don't think anyone would label me fat/obese/etc.

are you guys serious?

No one is serious. There are some people on neogaf who have body dysmorphia and even they wouldn't call a 31 waist obese haha

_Isaac

Jesus. These chin-ups are no joke. I did a few yesterday and my whole body is sore as hell even my abs (lol). I just tried to pick up a towel for my morning shower, and the soreness in my arm started to hurt so good. Crazy.

Faiz

So Sunday morning I finally finished my home weight room in the utility/storage room of our basement.

Monday I worked out for the first time in over eight months. Started with just the bar out of fear of injury - both from doing too much too soon and being out of practice with form. Did 5x5 squats, bench and rows. Amazing how sore and tight I got from just the bar, as easy as it was. But it was definitely the right thing to do, wasn't feeling the squat especially in the right muscle groups at all and was probably leaning too far forward.

Yesterday I fixed the squat, felt great, did OHP and dead lifts, no apparent form problems there but time will tell as weight increases.

It feels so good to be back at it but I'm so anxious to ramp up. I've never been one to make big gains because sleep and diet control have always been week points, sleep more so now with a toddler. I need to stay patient and not convince myself to race back to my old levels.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Sunday morning I finally finished my home weight room in the utility/storage room of our basement.

Monday I worked out for the first time in over eight months. Started with just the bar out of fear of injury - both from doing too much too soon and being out of practice with form. Did 5x5 squats, bench and rows. Amazing how sore and tight I got from just the bar, as easy as it was. But it was definitely the right thing to do, wasn't feeling the squat especially in the right muscle groups at all and was probably leaning too far forward.

Yesterday I fixed the squat, felt great, did OHP and dead lifts, no apparent form problems there but time will tell as weight increases.

It feels so good to be back at it but I'm so anxious to ramp up. I've never been one to make big gains because sleep and diet control have always been week points, sleep more so now with a toddler. I need to stay patient and not convince myself to race back to my old levels.

Welcome back, muscle brah! Keep those expectations in check and safety first brother!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
My gym is £25 a month (around 1000 of your US dollars I think)

I just went in for a quick session to see how my ankle would fair AND IT WAS AWESOME

I missed squats so much

velociraptor

So last month I struggled to bench 80kg 5 reps so I decided to up the weight at 3 reps only.

Yesterday I managed to bench 90kg but only 3 times. It was a struggle.

Should I continue adding the weight or should I deload to 80kg and start again at 5x5?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Jesus. These chin-ups are no joke. I did a few yesterday and my whole body is sore as hell even my abs (lol). I just tried to pick up a towel for my morning shower, and the soreness in my arm started to hurt so good. Crazy.

I do pull-ups (5-10 reps) in between nearly every set of every exercise while at the gym. I do them on my rest days, I do them when I'm about to head out and want a quick "wake-me-up," etc. I'd say I do anywhere from 50-70 per day.

Anyway, here's a post-pump/post-workout/overhead lighting glamour shot:

jEOQjkcQPL0c0.jpg

2nd cycle of 5/3/1 BBB, and it's anything but a boring program. Most fun I've ever had at the gym, I think.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I do pull-ups (5-10 reps) in between nearly every set of every exercise while at the gym. I do them on my rest days, I do them when I'm about to head out and want a quick "wake-me-up," etc. I'd say I do anywhere from 50-70 per day.

2nd cycle of 5/3/1 BBB, and it's anything but a boring program. Most fun I've ever had at the gym, I think.

You look like a different person Boogie. Well done!

Yeah yeah, pull ups are great but how's your 50lb muscle up coming along?

MrOogieBoogie

You look like a different person Boogie. Well done!

Yeah yeah, pull ups are great but how's your 50lb muscle up coming along?

Let's not talk about that right now.

ahahahaha

My muscle-ups have certainly degraded due to all the weight I've put on. That, and I've neglected them for a while now. I've got to reintroduce them soon, you're right. And thanks for the compliment.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Let's not talk about that right now.

ahahahaha

My muscle-ups have certainly degraded due to all the weight I've put on. That, and I've neglected them for a while now. I've got to reintroduce them soon, you're right. And thanks for the compliment.
I hear ya. When I bulk I don't even bother with them. Muscle ups for a 200+ pound man with 15% bf isn't a good idea!

Fuk. My Equinox dues are $195 a month, but its my only choice as Crunch and NYSC are a mess filled with people that dont respect the gym. Would kill for a Golds Gym near me though

Xater

Thigh pain seems to be gone today. So that's good.

I also learned yesterday that I really can't do overhead shoulder presses. It seems like even just the bar is too heavy for me. I get like 2-3 reps in and that's it. Maybe I should start doing shoulder presses with lighter dumbbells? Thoughts?

No one?

Pete Rock

I never realized how bad my handwriting is.
Can't even spell "me", huh? Sounds like a keeper.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who was offended by the awful penmanship -.- lol

Nice to see Mista OGB blowin' the fuck up, daaaaaaamn

I think that it would be better to do a seated OHP with the bar until you can get more than five reps, then switch back to standing. If you go with light DBs the independent rotations and various differentials produced by their lack of connectivity will not really add up to the same motion being trained, at least starting at such a novice level. I dunno though, just spitballin'.

GrapeApes

Damn, 195! My shit is 20 bucks a month (65 signing). I went to one of them fancy gyms and they were trying to sell me on 115 a month. Pretty much of the end of that. Should have never given them my actual number either. Once a month I get the same guy telling me to call back because they have some great specials going on.

MrOogieBoogie

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

My gym is literally across the street from me. It's a fantastic local gym and it has everything I need. I go around noon most times and it's never even close to crowded. And because everyone there is a curl-bro, I never have trouble jumping into the one squat rack and doing my workout. Costs me $20/month, which is more than reasonable considering how conveniently it's located.

jEOQjkcQPL0c0.jpg

I forgot to comment on this earlier but holy shit you like a totally different person.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those are beautiful delts. Mega-mirin. BLACKFLAG YOU GOT SOME COMPETITION BROTHER

sphinx

the piano man
something I've been meaning to ask, I remember like a month ago, there was talk from other fitgaffers about about the PHAT program in the OP which incorporates strength and bobyduilding days.

A month ago, I was about to begin a program based on that, with 2 strength days and 3 BB days, Here are some reasons that make me want to give it a try:

.- I had been taking too long to get done with a big lift and I didn't want to do them in a rush or do a "1 minute pauses" while trying to break PRs, so because I did longer pauses, then I'd do accessory in a rush because after warm-up, stretching and light cardio, about an hour would have passed and I'd still be in the first accesory exercise after the main compound. Was taking way too long.

.- the days I'd be waiting to hit a particular bodypart were too many. Meaning, If I hit chest on, say, Day 1, I'd be doing chest again after a complete week, which I felt was way more rest than my chest actually needed,

.- days with no main compounds mean relaxed days and I feel like I need them, I get things done faster. I can do my pull-up pyramids or several dip sets and give it my all without being burnt or stressed out.
is anyone here doing that kind of program? any thing to report about it?

J. Bravo

I do the chest and back hypertrophy days from the phat routine on Monday and Thursday, and do heavy deadlifts Tuesday and heavy squats Friday. Working well so far, but I've mostly skipped legs lol. Do have noticeable size gain and am looking leaner in my upper body and haven't actually lost much lower body strength afaik

Edit: Oh and I do cardio and abs Wednesday and Saturday.

sphinx

the piano man
I do the chest and back hypertrophy days from the phat routine on Monday and Thursday, and do heavy deadlifts Tuesday and heavy squats Friday. Working well so far, but I've mostly skipped legs lol. Do have noticeable size gain and am looking leaner in my upper body and haven't actually lost much lower body strength afaik

Edit: Oh and I do cardio and abs Wednesday and Saturday.

so you are loosely following the program, right? the link in the OP has some very specific directions on what exactly we are supposed to do, Basically no more than 3 sets, sometimes only 2 for a given exercise on power days, for example.

here some things that make me hesitate:

.- having two "power" or strength days one after the other, I am not sure I can pull it off. I sleep like shit and am not 25 years old any more

.- it also seems to be a bit too lower-body oriented, there are 2 lower body days in a 5 day split, that's a ton. For a curl bro, that'd be unthinkable. I love leg days, but I'd rather work on arms or other parts, if I am honest

.- it doesn't include barbell Deadlifts and OHPs, and I'd rather not dismiss those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom